85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
Rene71
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
Feb 28, 2013

Hi,

I have a 7D with:

10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

17-55 mm f/2.8 USM

50 mm 1.8

70-200 mm f/4.0 L

Now I want to buy either a 100mm f/2.0 or a 85 mm f/1.8. The former is more expensive and gives a 160mm to my 7d which can be nice for indoor sports but might be too long for portrait?? The latter is 100 euro's less expensive and imho is more suitable for portrait and could be used for indoor gymnastics of my daughter?

Which one to choose?

Thanks for helping me out

cheers

Rene

 Rene71's gear list:Rene71's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Rene71, Feb 28, 2013

Rene71 wrote:

Hi,

I have a 7D with:

10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

17-55 mm f/2.8 USM

50 mm 1.8

70-200 mm f/4.0 L

Now I want to buy either a 100mm f/2.0 or a 85 mm f/1.8. The former is more expensive and gives a 160mm to my 7d which can be nice for indoor sports but might be too long for portrait?? The latter is 100 euro's less expensive and imho is more suitable for portrait and could be used for indoor gymnastics of my daughter?

Which one to choose?

Thanks for helping me out

cheers

Rene

85mm makes more sense to me (135mm 35mm or rather FF equivalent). 160mm can be cutting it too tight even outdoors I'd imagine. From what I've read both lenses are identical in optical performance with the 85 1.8 gaining the edge in AF speed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,805Gear list
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Sovern, Feb 28, 2013

I've both. Optically more or less similar. Go for 85.

-- hide signature --

NĂ­or bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

 Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,199Gear list
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Feb 28, 2013

With the copies I've owned and used...

The 100mm f2 is soft wide open. It was soft even on my old D30 and 1D so it must be worse with more modern cameras. Stop it down to f2.8 and it's great.

The 85mm f1.8 is somewhat sharper wide open and is great at f2.0. You will have to watch out for purple fringing in high contrast situations between f1.8 and f2.8.

 Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ulto
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Rene71, Feb 28, 2013

I have owned both lenses.

They are the same, just go for the focal length you want.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
barba
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Sovern, Feb 28, 2013

Sovern wrote:

Rene71 wrote:

Hi,

I have a 7D with:

10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

17-55 mm f/2.8 USM

50 mm 1.8

70-200 mm f/4.0 L

Now I want to buy either a 100mm f/2.0 or a 85 mm f/1.8. The former is more expensive and gives a 160mm to my 7d which can be nice for indoor sports but might be too long for portrait?? The latter is 100 euro's less expensive and imho is more suitable for portrait and could be used for indoor gymnastics of my daughter?

Which one to choose?

Thanks for helping me out

cheers

Rene

85mm makes more sense to me (135mm 35mm or rather FF equivalent). 160mm can be cutting it too tight even outdoors I'd imagine. From what I've read both lenses are identical in optical performance with the 85 1.8 gaining the edge in AF speed.

+ 1! Go for 85mm f/1.8.

 barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,199Gear list
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to ulto, Mar 1, 2013

ulto wrote:

I have owned both lenses.

They are the same, just go for the focal length you want.

If you want to shoot at f2, you'll be happier with the sharper 85mm than the soft 100mm.

 Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ulto
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Scott Larson, Mar 1, 2013

Scott Larson wrote:

ulto wrote:

I have owned both lenses.

They are the same, just go for the focal length you want.

If you want to shoot at f2, you'll be happier with the sharper 85mm than the soft 100mm.

As we know some samples of the same lens model are more or less sharp.

If you want to base your decision on which of the two lenses is sharper, I would rather refer to reviewers like DxOmark or Photozone that are shooting charts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,982Gear list
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Scott Larson, Mar 1, 2013

Scott Larson wrote:

ulto wrote:

I have owned both lenses.

They are the same, just go for the focal length you want.

If you want to shoot at f2, you'll be happier with the sharper 85mm than the soft 100mm.

Photozone testing shows the 100/2 is almost as sharp in the center and a wee bit sharper in the corners at f2.8, and the 85/1.8 is softer at the center and corners at f1.8.

I own and use the 85/1.8 but at anything less than f/2.8 it's a turd unless you like that look. Check the lens test data at slrgear for more info. It's kind of like the 50/1.4, dreamlike softness  wide open that turns into almost razor like sharpness at f2.8 and higher.

In real world shooting it's doubtful the small differences between the two would ever be noticed.

 MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,999
Like?
Buy the 100 f2
In reply to Rene71, Mar 1, 2013

You aready have several smallish lenses around 50mm and the 70mm end of the 70-200 is sort of close to the 85mm.

So buy the 100mm lens, just because it is "more" and a bigger step up from what you already have than is the 85mm lens.

BAK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Rene71, Mar 1, 2013

you got great glass so far

get 100L instead

Rene71 wrote:

Hi,

I have a 7D with:

10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

17-55 mm f/2.8 USM

50 mm 1.8

70-200 mm f/4.0 L

Now I want to buy either a 100mm f/2.0 or a 85 mm f/1.8. The former is more expensive and gives a 160mm to my 7d which can be nice for indoor sports but might be too long for portrait?? The latter is 100 euro's less expensive and imho is more suitable for portrait and could be used for indoor gymnastics of my daughter?

Which one to choose?

Thanks for helping me out

cheers

Rene

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
No answer to that question
In reply to Rene71, Mar 1, 2013

There is for practical purposes no difference between the two lenses. Used to be the 85 was better for basketball because it's 1/3 stop faster....but with improvement of image quality with high ISO that no longer matters. I have both. You can buy either and it won't matter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,030Gear list
Like?
Re: 85 f/1.8 vs 100 f/2.0
In reply to Rene71, Mar 1, 2013

The obvious thing to do: try your 70-200 zoom at 85mm and at 100mm, in the situations you describe, and decide from your conclusions.

As for sharpness or lens IQ the 85 and the 100 are from similar vintage, meaning nobody would be able to tell the difference.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

 biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,199Gear list
Like?
Re: No answer to that question
In reply to jedinstvo, Mar 1, 2013

jedinstvo wrote:

There is for practical purposes no difference between the two lenses.

Only if you feel that improved sharpness at f2 is not a practical difference.

Used to be the 85 was better for basketball because it's 1/3 stop faster....but with improvement of image quality with high ISO that no longer matters.

Only with cameras that aren't noisier at higher ISO.

 Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads