Should I buy an RX-100 next week?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566Gear list
Like?
Should I buy an RX-100 next week?
Feb 28, 2013

I've been planning to buy an RX-100 an underwater housing for a diving trip I've got coming up in June since about September. I waited because I have a DSLR as my main body, and while I'd love a pocketable walkaround to have with me always, I won't truly need it until June, and I wanted to see if something that better suited my long term needs came out while I waited - it has not. Of course I want to buy it plenty early before my trip to put it through its paces...

The reason for the question is, does anyone think that waiting another month or two will likely announce its successor and possibly cause a price drop? I visit this forum, but not routinely so I may have missed some rumors. I think it unlikely, but thought I'd ask before placing my order a month earlier than necessary. Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,302
Like?
You should buy one THIS week
In reply to TOR8472, Feb 28, 2013

It's that good.  Just sayin'..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Re: Should I buy an RX-100 next week?

Buy now, Adorama has a special deal where you can get a discount trading in an old camera. This a way to get around the manufacturers minimum price. You can also get an educational discount for a teacher or student if buying direct from Sony.

If a new model is announced, it won't be available for awhile, it probably won't work with any current UW housing, and an underwater housing that fits it will likely not be available in time for your trip.

ElanToXT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Feb 28, 2013

+1 on that deal. I got it last week. Deal ends in Sunday.

Also, you will get $80 off even if you don't have an old camera to trade in.

ElanToXT's gear list:ElanToXT's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
MikeInNJ
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?

I was wondering the same thing. Bought mine today anyway. Best Buy 18 months same as cash.

MikeInNJ's gear list:MikeInNJ's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
TOR8472
Like?
Re: thanks all
In reply to ElanToXT, Mar 1, 2013

Thanks all for your comments. I saw this email from Adorama, but when I clicked on the link I didn't get any details about the discount. Unfortunately, my oldest camera is the Sony DSC-V1, and it is too good of a camera to let go for <$200  - my daughter uses it and I have an underwater bag for it, 3 batteries, plus and external flash. Plus what else am I going to use my $100 128 MB memory stick on?

$80 off without a camera to trade in? I'll have to call them to check that out. Thanks. I was hoping to wait until Monday to order as my credit card month closes Sunday though...that was the reason for not ordering this week. Thanks again.

ElanToXT wrote:

+1 on that deal. I got it last week. Deal ends in Sunday.

Also, you will get $80 off even if you don't have an old camera to trade in.

Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,962Gear list
Like?
In reply to TOR8472, Mar 1, 2013

It is a great technological marvel, but, miniature and mobile is a tough combo, have you considered additional 2 yr accidental warranty? you will need 2nd battery and external charger also.

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
TOR8472
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Mar 1, 2013

Yes, thanks, I will be getting a second battery and external charger also. I see a third party option that looks like a particularly good deal on the battery.

With respect to the additional warranty, I was planing to pass on that. I actually bought it for my old Sony DSC-VI, and never needed it. It is still working great today. With the advances in technology these days, I usually want a new body before I need it.

I wonder if that accidental warranty covers failure from use of an underwater housing? May have to check into it. Thanks.

elliottnewcomb wrote:

It is a great technological marvel, but, miniature and mobile is a tough combo, have you considered additional 2 yr accidental warranty? you will need 2nd battery and external charger also.

TOR8472
Like?
Re: it's on the way - thanks again
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 1, 2013

Boy, never call Adorama if you are on the edge of buying, their salesmen are good and have pushed me over the edge everytime. I forgot I had an old film camera I've been meaning to give away that is worth giving up for $80. They also said they'd delay bill my CC until Monday so I can pay for it next month. So, my RX100 is on the way!

Yes, I was only waiting for a new announcement as it might lower the price on the RX100 - definitely too late for me to get a housing for any successor that will be announced. Thanks again for saving me $80!

Robert Anderson wrote:

Buy now, Adorama has a special deal where you can get a discount trading in an old camera. This a way to get around the manufacturers minimum price. You can also get an educational discount for a teacher or student if buying direct from Sony.

If a new model is announced, it won't be available for awhile, it probably won't work with any current UW housing, and an underwater housing that fits it will likely not be available in time for your trip.

gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,176Gear list
Like?

Yes, and here's why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdFFZcsNwlU

-- hide signature --

Kirk

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Re: it's on the way - thanks again

Glad to be of help. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Please post some of your underwater photos when you can.

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,962Gear list
Like?
In reply to gulffish, Mar 1, 2013

Blunty's review is great, thanks for posting it.

He says, 'in the right hands' it can do amazing things. I agree, and, Sony's lousy manual actually makes amateur enthusiasts like me work with the menu more.

I am glad this camera is making me learn new things, and how much I learn from this forum.

Low light no flash, might as well leave my R1 home, but rx100 is amazing.

Flash shots: I was 'set in my ways' with my R1 P mode. It has taken me some time, but last Wed. night I got some rx100 shots at Robin's Nest that were as good as I was getting with my R1 for the first time.

Secret for me was that P mode worked very well with the heavier R1, but not on the rx100 which chose 1/30th too often, actually most of the time.

I switched to S mode, using 1/125 or 1/200, and started getting many more sharp shots. Some think IS doesn't work well at 1/30th. I am not steady enough to be clear about that.

Anyway, the point is, get your new rx100 out of the box, charge your batteries, mess with it a lot, find how you can work with it successfully so your underwater shots are not disappointing.

Post some when you get back,

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads