70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
ehliysehr
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?
Feb 28, 2013

just for laughs!

The time of the year when Canon Fanboys whines about the new Camera Specs.

When Nikon Fanboys flocks to to this side of forum to troll.

Fanboys anticipating Ken Rockwell's announcement on what will be his new favorite camera.

Fanboys guessing the new DXO mark Score!

Fanboys creating fake accounts claiming they bought the camera but post no pictures.

Some buys the camera, post the picture praise the IQ and ergo but complains about the lack of DR they so they will return it and goes back to to the brand they love.

Feel free to add more

ehliysehr's gear list:ehliysehr's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kenwnyc
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?
In reply to ehliysehr, Feb 28, 2013

The 70D will be an incremental update to the 60D, same sensor. The 7DII will have a new crop sensor and some other stuff updated. The 80D will have the new sensor from the 7DII. This will force those wanting the new sensor technology to buy the more expensive 7DII, even though they may not care for the high speed attributes of the 7D line.

I hope that I am wrong and they put a new sensor in the 70D....

kenwnyc's gear list:kenwnyc's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,075Gear list
Like?
In reply to kenwnyc, Feb 28, 2013

70D...new sensor, 19 cross sensors.   6 fps.  Not many extras but basics.  Extra do-dads will be on 7DII in sept.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,281Gear list
Like?
In reply to ehliysehr, Feb 28, 2013

ehliysehr wrote:

just for laughs!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....sorry....

Fanboys anticipating Ken Rockwell's announcement on what will be his new favorite camera.

The buzz lightyear camera used in DRTV's strobist episode of pro photog/cheap camera.

2, that is my guess....2

Fanboys creating fake accounts claiming they bought the camera but post no pictures.

I have all of the future Canon cameras, because I am from the future myself.

Some buys the camera, post the picture praise the IQ and ergo but complains about the lack of DR they so they will return it and goes back to to the brand they love.

Won't be a problem, I know for sure that the next Canon camera will have 20241515 stops of dynamic range, but it'll still be 2 stops short of the next Nikon....

Feel free to add more

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
x-vision
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?
In reply to kenwnyc, Feb 28, 2013

kenwnyc wrote:

The 70D will be an incremental update to the 60D, same sensor. The 7DII will have a new crop sensor and some other stuff updated. The 80D will have the new sensor from the 7DII. This will force those wanting the new sensor technology to buy the more expensive 7DII, even though they may not care for the high speed attributes of the 7D line.

My thoughts exactly.

cerberusjf
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
In reply to kenwnyc, Mar 1, 2013

kenwnyc wrote:

I hope you're wrong too, I am depending on the 70D to have a better (at high ISO) sensor for my next camera.. if it doesn't then I wonder what reason there would be to get it over the 60D?

MrScary
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to cerberusjf, Mar 1, 2013

Whatever comes out had better have NO NOISE at ISO800. Definatly NO NOISE at ISO400. If not, they can keep it till the cows come home..

-- hide signature --
 MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,105Gear list
Like?
Nah, don't think so...
In reply to x-vision, Mar 1, 2013

x-vision wrote:

kenwnyc wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Well, at the expense of dredging up history, you were dead wrong about APS-H going broader and I think you're equally wrong about this.  Canon has a long history, since they started their DSLR line with the D30, of introducing new sensor technology in lower end models before updating their higher end models -- effectively being "upside down" in terms of sensor technology between product lines for a period of time.  Best examples of this would be in the Rebel line, where they often introduced a new sensor there prior to its showing up in the xxD series.  I think the chances of keeping over a 3+ year old sensor in the next xxD camera are basically slim to none.  Even if it means that the 7D is outclassed by the 70D in some ways for a little while, it seems almost ridiculous to think that they'd try to extend the 18MP technology yet another generation in either of their prosumer/semi-pro crop lines.  They may not up the MP count (though I'm betting they will), but my guess is that it will have significant improvements in other areas directly pertaining to IQ (noise, DR, etc.).  Some derivative of that sensor will likely show up in the 7DMk2, but with a host of other improvements in AF, etc. which will keep it clearly positioned as Canon's premium crop camera.

It's all speculation now... let's compare notes once Canon lifts the curtain on the 70D.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
jonrobertp
Like?
Re: Nah, don't think so...
In reply to Jerry-astro, Mar 1, 2013

Jerry-astro wrote:

x-vision wrote:

kenwnyc wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Well, at the expense of dredging up history, you were dead wrong about APS-H going broader and I think you're equally wrong about this. Canon has a long history, since they started their DSLR line with the D30, of introducing new sensor technology in lower end models before updating their higher end models -- effectively being "upside down" in terms of sensor technology between product lines for a period of time. Best examples of this would be in the Rebel line, where they often introduced a new sensor there prior to its showing up in the xxD series. I think the chances of keeping over a 3+ year old sensor in the next xxD camera are basically slim to none. Even if it means that the 7D is outclassed by the 70D in some ways for a little while, it seems almost ridiculous to think that they'd try to extend the 18MP technology yet another generation in either of their prosumer/semi-pro crop lines. They may not up the MP count (though I'm betting they will), but my guess is that it will have significant improvements in other areas directly pertaining to IQ (noise, DR, etc.). Some derivative of that sensor will likely show up in the 7DMk2, but with a host of other improvements in AF, etc. which will keep it clearly positioned as Canon's premium crop camera.

It's all speculation now... let's compare notes once Canon lifts the curtain on the 70D.

Jerry, my gut tells me you are very close to correct. 

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,886Gear list
Like?
In reply to ehliysehr, Mar 1, 2013

A long wait!

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
x-vision
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?
Re: Nah, don't think so...

Jerry-astro wrote:

Well, at the expense of dredging up history, you were dead wrong about APS-H going broader and I think you're equally wrong about this.

I don't remember saying anything about APS-H.

But I was indeed dead wrong nine months ago, when I thought that the 70D would be a dumbed down version of 7D for $1300-1400 - and that the 7DII would be FF.

Yes, I'm eating crow now . I really did not see the (very) lame 6D coming.

But now that Canon has released the (very) lame 6D, we have more info to speculate.

The 70D will go further down in the lineup, IMO, and will be priced and spec'd competitively with Nikon's D5200 - not with the D7100. It will most likely be slotted between the two, actually.

And for those who think it will be a worthy D7100 competitor, just condier this: Canon released the (very) the 6D for $2100 - and we are now expecting that they will blow our socks off with the 70D for $1200 ??? Think twice. People are supposed to be upgrading from the 70D to the 6D.

There will obviously a 7DII - and this is where Canon will most likely introduce the new sensor tech. Of course they will also try to charge $$$ for it too.
Good that Nikon has the D7100 and D600, though, to keep the 7DII price in check.

Anyway, I've obviously been wrong before. But this is my story and I'm sticking to it .

Suave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?
In reply to kenwnyc, Mar 1, 2013

They will put new sensor in 70D if not in Rebel to work out all possible kinks in cheaper camera.

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 3,085Gear list
Like?
Re: Indeed

Jerry-astro wrote:

Well, at the expense of dredging up history, you were dead wrong about APS-H going broader and I think you're equally wrong about this. Canon has a long history, since they started their DSLR line with the D30, of introducing new sensor technology in lower end models before updating their higher end models -- effectively being "upside down" in terms of sensor technology between product lines for a period of time. Best examples of this would be in the Rebel line, where they often introduced a new sensor there prior to its showing up in the xxD series. I think the chances of keeping over a 3+ year old sensor in the next xxD camera are basically slim to none. Even if it means that the 7D is outclassed by the 70D in some ways for a little while, it seems almost ridiculous to think that they'd try to extend the 18MP technology yet another generation in either of their prosumer/semi-pro crop lines. They may not up the MP count (though I'm betting they will), but my guess is that it will have significant improvements in other areas directly pertaining to IQ (noise, DR, etc.). Some derivative of that sensor will likely show up in the 7DMk2, but with a host of other improvements in AF, etc. which will keep it clearly positioned as Canon's premium crop camera.

I think you're pretty much spot on. The 70D will likely be going back up to what the 50D was since the 60D (the Rebelized 50D) has not been very well received. That way it can compete with the D7100 in a very nice enthusiast segment.

The 7DmkII I expect to go a step up. The concept of an APS-C 1D has been proven extremely successful and there are a lot of positive responses from people wanting Canon to take it a step further. Those interested in buying a 7DmkII are not the enthusiasts who want pretty numbers on the box or desire the so-called "latest and greatest" in sensor tech. Those wanting a 7DmkII will look at what such a camera delivers in terms of practical use, customization options, AF performance.

The 70D will be the "hype" camera with the new sensor tech on the box, while those who bought it will not understand the reasons to wait for a 7DmkII.

Speculation, I know, but that's what would seem the most logical next step. Canon can't lower their DSLR specs because the mirrorless market would eat into their market share. The only logical way is up.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,712
Like?
In reply to Wyville, Mar 1, 2013

Wyville wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

I think you're pretty much spot on. The 70D will likely be going back up to what the 50D was since the 60D (the Rebelized 50D) has not been very well received. That way it can compete with the D7100 in a very nice enthusiast segment.

The 7DmkII I expect to go a step up. The concept of an APS-C 1D has been proven extremely successful and there are a lot of positive responses from people wanting Canon to take it a step further.

There is no 'APS-C 1D'. The 7D is way short of a 1D in every aspect of its capability. What there has been is a huge marketing success in convincing people that a beefed-up 50D is a 'APS-C 1D'. However, there is the added aspect of $2k FF now, which is bound to suck money for APS-C cameras out of that price point. I can't see another APS-C camera at $1800-$2k. Much more likely the 7D MkII will be a straightforward linear upgrade, maybe no faster, new AF - perhaps an evolved version of the old 45 point system but critically a few hundred dollars less, in direct competition with the D7100. Then there will be no 70D, just the 60D will go on forever, gradually sagging in price.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Wyville
Like?
In reply to bobn2, Mar 1, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

There is no 'APS-C 1D'. The 7D is way short of a 1D in every aspect of its capability. What there has been is a huge marketing success in convincing people that a beefed-up 50D is a 'APS-C 1D'. However, there is the added aspect of $2k FF now, which is bound to suck money for APS-C cameras out of that price point. I can't see another APS-C camera at $1800-$2k. Much more likely the 7D MkII will be a straightforward linear upgrade, maybe no faster, new AF - perhaps an evolved version of the old 45 point system but critically a few hundred dollars less, in direct competition with the D7100. Then there will be no 70D, just the 60D will go on forever, gradually sagging in price.

-- hide signature --

Bob

I can't agree on that. For wildlife/sports enthusiasts the 7D is unique and its sales surely reflect that.

I have no idea why you think the 6D would be even remotely interesting for the target 7D market. A full frame Rebel is completely the opposite of what wildlife/sports enthusiasts (or pros on a budget) are looking for. A $2,000-2,500 7DmkII that has been developed to be closer to the APS-C 1D ideal will be a dream for many.

Neither is the D7100 in the same segment as the 7D. The D7100 is a great camera, but it's a 70D competitor.

Try looking at it from a wildlife photographer's perspective. What do they need/want? High fps, fast AF and tracking, environmental seals, customizable AF and buttons, a crop sensor (debateable, but on a budget it's unavoidable). When the 7D came out it completely blew away Nikon's excellent D300, and the D7000 was never a D300 replacement. Look on the Nikon forums how many have kept their D300 while waiting for a D400. There is a very strong market for very high-end APS-C cameras, and that market is not interested in either full frame or mirrorless. Canon and Nikon would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't take that market seriously. Not in the least part, because these same people invest heavily in the big lenses.

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
bobn2
Like?

Wyville wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

I can't agree on that. For wildlife/sports enthusiasts the 7D is unique and its sales surely reflect that.

Nothing that I said is in conflict with that.

I have no idea why you think the 6D would be even remotely interesting for the target 7D market.

Nor with that. However, the question that has to be asked is what is the actual size of the market for the 7D as an action camera.

A full frame Rebel is completely the opposite of what wildlife/sports enthusiasts (or pros on a budget) are looking for. A $2,000-2,500 7DmkII that has been developed to be closer to the APS-C 1D ideal will be a dream for many.

The 6D is not at all a 'full frame Rebel' and that pejorative description betrays where you are coming from. The 'pros on a budget' idea is a bit of a non-starter. If you are a 'pro' and your livelihood depends on having the gear to do the job, then you buy the gear to do the job, and don'r make a false economy on gear that doesn't quite do the job. A pro on a budget would be much more likely to go for a 1DIV.

Neither is the D7100 in the same segment as the 7D. The D7100 is a great camera, but it's a 70D competitor.

It's exactly in the same 'segment' but positioned a bit lower. All it lacks with respect to the 7D is a couple of FPS and some buffer. That means that it is a little shy if FPS is everything to you, a bit better in some other ways. In most respects of functionality the D7000 blew the 60D out of the water and if the 70D (if it appears) is a normal Canon evolution of the 60D, it will similarly not compete.

Try looking at it from a wildlife photographer's perspective. What do they need/want? High fps, fast AF and tracking, environmental seals, customizable AF and buttons, a crop sensor (debateable, but on a budget it's unavoidable). When the 7D came out it completely blew away Nikon's excellent D300,

Actually, that is not at all true. The D300 and D300s are and remain in every conceivable way superior on spec and performance to the 7D, apart from having a geriatric 12MP sensor.  The 7D ended up being a far more saleable package, maybe Canon's marketing skill in persuading buyers that somehow it was a major step up from the 50D on which it was based. However, with respect to the wildlife photographer, their perspective is more subtle. These cameras are mostly sold to amateurs, and few are so focussed that one type of photography takes precedence over all else. So, if a well-heeled amateur has £2k burning a hole in his pocket, and wants to decide which camera will get his money, he weights up a number of pros and cons. Both Nikon and Canon have taken a punt that FF is a bigger pro than the con of a reduced FPS. Nikon has backed that up with a pretty capable camera for less money. All these things erode the potential marketplace for a specialist high FPS camera, because that is really only bought by the people for whom the FPS is such a big pro it discounts all the cons. In the case of the D7100, it gets even more nuanced, because you can get 7FPS at 15MP, albeit the burst length is a bit limited. So then you're talking $500 more for 1 FPS and longer burst length - the number of people for whom that is a compelling deal is limited.

and the D7000 was never a D300 replacement.

In practice, yes it was. A camera aimed at 70% of the D300 buyers, while the D600 mops up the next 25%. The 5% make a lot of noise, but there is a question how relevant that noise really is in sales terms. A lot of D300 owners have upgraded to the D800, a proposition that wouldn't work if they were all high FPS action shooters.

Look on the Nikon forums how many have kept their D300 while waiting for a D400.

Not a huge number, but they are very, very vocal. They are in fact far outnumbered by people who have gone for D800's, D600's and D7000's but those people are more likely to just be taking photographs than whinging on forums.

There is a very strong market for very high-end APS-C cameras, and that market is not interested in either full frame or mirrorless.

I doubt that. I would be interested to see any sound figures to back up the idea that this market is 'very strong'. Were it so strong, one would have expected the 8FPS, pro spec AF D300s to be selling much better than it actually is.

Canon and Nikon would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't take that market seriously. Not in the least part, because these same people invest heavily in the big lenses.

How much more do they invest in 'big lenses' than the other guys? And if you're willing to spend $kkk's on 'big lenses', why are you trying to save a $k or so on a cut price body?

-- hide signature --

Bob

Wyville
Like?
In reply to bobn2, Mar 1, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

Nor with that. However, the question that has to be asked is what is the actual size of the market for the 7D as an action camera.

I think it's substantial enough for Canon and Nikon to take it seriously.

The 6D is not at all a 'full frame Rebel' and that pejorative description betrays where you are coming from. The 'pros on a budget' idea is a bit of a non-starter. If you are a 'pro' and your livelihood depends on having the gear to do the job, then you buy the gear to do the job, and don'r make a false economy on gear that doesn't quite do the job. A pro on a budget would be much more likely to go for a 1DIV.

Actually, I've seen a surprising number of professional wildlife photographers use a 7D. That said, the 1DmkIV is no longer available and thus limited to the second hand market. In that case too I have heard many comments from wildlife/sports photographers who couldn't understand why Canon dropped the APS-H format (although Canon maintains it is not dead).

It's exactly in the same 'segment' but positioned a bit lower. All it lacks with respect to the 7D is a couple of FPS and some buffer. That means that it is a little shy if FPS is everything to you, a bit better in some other ways. In most respects of functionality the D7000 blew the 60D out of the water and if the 70D (if it appears) is a normal Canon evolution of the 60D, it will similarly not compete.

It is not just fps. The AF, tracking, customizability of the AF and tracking, the whole package of the 7D was (at the time of release) unheard of for an APS-C camera.

I think you grossly underestimate what the 7D really means to wildlife/sports enthusiasts and pros on a budget.

How much more do they invest in 'big lenses' than the other guys? And if you're willing to spend $kkk's on 'big lenses', why are you trying to save a $k or so on a cut price body?

You misunderstand what I was saying. The 7D is not a cut price body, and a 7DmkII closer to the 1DX in terms of features would be even better. It's not about saving money by using a smaller sensor, it's about increasing the features of a body with an APS-C sensor.

Why can there not be a high-end APS-C body?

crazybadger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,318Gear list
Like?
In reply to ehliysehr, Mar 1, 2013

ehliysehr wrote:

just for laughs!

Feel free to add more

Oh and don't forget all the old rehashed arguments from our home grown trolls. You'll see lots of old arguments about previous versions that have long since been dead and buried getting rehashed again. I've already seen some being dragged up lately including "I hope the AF works on the 7D mkII unlike the problems they had with the first one". Or "I hope the build quality of the 70D is better, those plastic 60D are so fragile".

Usually these are followed about broad generalizations about how this camera or that was a sales disaster based simply on the logic that if a camera doesn't fit "their" opinion of what is wanted then it is obviously a failure with the community in general.

Oh happy days are here again (sarcasm there just encase you missed it ). Good thing the spring migrants will be here soon. Less time on the computer reading the BS and more time using my "defective" canon products

bobn2
Like?

Wyville wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

I think it's substantial enough for Canon and Nikon to take it seriously.

Our views differ, then. Of course, both Nikon and Canon will have better researched and sounder data than either you or I, and will most likely act on that.

Actually, I've seen a surprising number of professional wildlife photographers use a 7D. That said, the 1DmkIV is no longer available and thus limited to the second hand market. In that case too I have heard many comments from wildlife/sports photographers who couldn't understand why Canon dropped the APS-H format (although Canon maintains it is not dead).

If Canon is truthfully maintaining that it is not dead, then there is even less chance of a linear replacement for the 7D. A new APS-H camera could only slot under the 5DIII, and could not be a studio/landscape jobby (that slot taken by the 6D) - So we are talking about a sub $2k, action oriented camera. They couldn't sell an '7D Mk II' against that. As to why Canon dropped APS-H in the 1D - simple, they saw that Nikon's offer of FF was doing better in the market, so they matched it (and a bit more).

It is not just fps. The AF, tracking, customizability of the AF and tracking, the whole package of the 7D was (at the time of release) unheard of for an APS-C camera.

Canon APS-C. The D300 already comfortably surpassed it in all of those, as will the D7100, since it has the D4 AF.

I think you grossly underestimate what the 7D really means to wildlife/sports enthusiasts and pros on a budget.

I don't think that I do. The question is not what it means to those people, but how many of them are there, and where would they go if Canon offered a slightly differently oriented package. If they have no-where to go, then Canon loses no sales by offering something with a broader appeal. I still think the 'pros on a budget' thing is a red herring. As I said, if you're really a pro, and your livelihood depends on it, you stretch your budget to get what you need. If a pro is in the band where the $3k spread over 2 or 3 years between a 7D and 1D makes a real difference, they are probably in the wrong profession.

You misunderstand what I was saying. The 7D is not a cut price body, and a 7DmkII closer to the 1DX in terms of features would be even better.

'Cut price' is relative. The 7D is cut price compared to the 1D. It does not have the top level AF. It does not have the top level body construction. It does not have the top level controls. It doesn't have those things so that it can cost $1900, not $4000.

It's not about saving money by using a smaller sensor, it's about increasing the features of a body with an APS-C sensor.

Why can there not be a high-end APS-C body?

OK, What if Canon introduces a EOS-1D A, same as the 1D X, same price but with an APS-C sensor. Would you buy it? If not, how can you say it's not about saving money?

-- hide signature --

Bob

jonrobertp
Like?
In reply to crazybadger, Mar 1, 2013

It makes no sense at all to think that Canon will make another cam in the same price range as the t4i.  It will be an upgrade replacement for the weak 60D...no doubt at all.  As to sensor , frame rate, Af...all speculation...but it is like Canon to replace most of these 3 details....and then do speed upgrades for the highest one, the 7DII later.

As the 7d outdid the D300, Canon will try to outdo the D7100.  And within 100$ of it.  Count on it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads