nozzle check Epson 3880

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
Ursula Freer
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
nozzle check Epson 3880
Feb 28, 2013

I always us matte black for printing (Photoshop). When I do a nozzle check the printer changes to gloss black wasting ink in the process. I also get an error message regarding the wrong size of paper. I use letter size for this and that's what is specified in the nozzle check procedure.

-- hide signature --
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,056
Like?
Re: nozzle check Epson 3880
In reply to Ursula Freer, Feb 28, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

I always us matte black for printing (Photoshop). When I do a nozzle check the printer changes to gloss black wasting ink in the process. I also get an error message regarding the wrong size of paper. I use letter size for this and that's what is specified in the nozzle check procedure.

-- hide signature --

Do you run the nozzle check from the printer LCD panel or the driver from the computer?

Check your basic prefferences from your Devices and Printers tab on your PC ( if MAC then I do not know ) right click the printer icon and under printer prefferences set to always print to Matte material, quality, orientation  and No Color Management then click on apply or OK and those settings should become your defaults from that point onward unless you temporarily change them when you print.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AusPic
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 28, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

-- hide signature --

Do you run the nozzle check from the printer LCD panel or the driver from the computer?

Check your basic prefferences from your Devices and Printers tab on your PC ( if MAC then I do not know ) right click the printer icon and under printer prefferences set to always print to Matte material, quality, orientation and No Color Management then click on apply or OK and those settings should become your defaults from that point onward unless you temporarily change them when you print.

Joe

Thanks for that tip Joe, I find it a real chore checking through every little detail on the PRINT screen to make sure that the printer has not reverted to other settings after each print job! I also only print Matt ink.

The 3880 is pedantic about what combinations of media and which feed tray and settings it WILL print at. Get it a bit wrong (for the printer) and it just sits there and sulks!! So you need to learn which paper goes to which feed tray, and you have to be sure and do print settings at top of Photoshop print screen (easily overlooked) or if you are using LR on the bottom left of the print page.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

Ursula Freer
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 28, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

-- hide signature --

From the computer, why? Is there a difference?

Check your basic prefferences from your Devices and Printers tab on your PC ( if MAC then I do not know ) right click the printer icon and under printer prefferences set to always print to Matte material, quality, orientation and No Color Management then click on apply or OK and those settings should become your defaults from that point onward unless you temporarily change them when you print.

Joe

I know how to change basic preferences on my Mac (OS10.6.8), but the only choice I have is the paper size, nothing about matte, quality, orientation and color mgt. Maybe someone with a Mac could enlighten me?

Thank you Joe!

Ursula
http://ursulafreer.com

jtoolman
Like?
In reply to AusPic, Mar 1, 2013

AusPic wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

Thanks for that tip Joe, I find it a real chore checking through every little detail on the PRINT screen to make sure that the printer has not reverted to other settings after each print job! I also only print Matt ink.

The 3880 is pedantic about what combinations of media and which feed tray and settings it WILL print at. Get it a bit wrong (for the printer) and it just sits there and sulks!! So you need to learn which paper goes to which feed tray, and you have to be sure and do print settings at top of Photoshop print screen (easily overlooked) or if you are using LR on the bottom left of the print page.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

I have preset all my printers in the Devices and Printers tab so they ALL are printing with NO color Management as well so there is NEVER any user error / accidental double profiling when printing out of PS, LR or Qimage using ICC profiles.

Joe

jtoolman
Like?
In reply to Ursula Freer, Mar 1, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

I know how to change basic preferences on my Mac (OS10.6.8), but the only choice I have is the paper size, nothing about matte, quality, orientation and color mgt. Maybe someone with a Mac could enlighten me?

Thank you Joe!

Ursula

Because if you use the LCD you are by passing the printer driver and the OS in your MAC which might be defaulted to ALWAYS use glossy, thus the constant change of the black ink.

I know this is going to sound very biased but if you have been keeing track for the majority of really weird or odd printing problems, not just the normal, " my prints are darker than my monitor ", the common condition seems to be that the user is printing from a MAC OS. There's just seems to be this unexplained inability for the EPSON Driver and the OS to get along.

Those who are MAC OS / Printing experts have obviously figured it out and I wish they would share their knowledge here with those who are experiencing these problems.

Joe

Ursula Freer
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 1, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

Thank you Joe!

Ursula

Because if you use the LCD you are by passing the printer driver and the OS in your MAC which might be defaulted to ALWAYS use glossy, thus the constant change of the black ink.

I know this is going to sound very biased but if you have been keeing track for the majority of really weird or odd printing problems, not just the normal, " my prints are darker than my monitor ", the common condition seems to be that the user is printing from a MAC OS. There's just seems to be this unexplained inability for the EPSON Driver and the OS to get along.

Those who are MAC OS / Printing experts have obviously figured it out and I wish they would share their knowledge here with those who are experiencing these problems.

Joe

I'll definitely try the LCD, hopefully it will avoid my problem. The problem with Mac and Epson printers is with the newest operating system which I will avoid until it's solved.

In the meantime I had made up a little image in PS to mimic the nozzle check image to use in order to avoid changing to photo black ink. I find it puzzling that the photo black is way down even though I do not use it in my printing. must be the nozzle checks really eat it up.

Thanks so much Joe!

Ursula

jtoolman
Like?

Ursula Freer wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

Thank you Joe!

Ursula

Because if you use the LCD you are by passing the printer driver and the OS in your MAC which might be defaulted to ALWAYS use glossy, thus the constant change of the black ink.

Joe

I'll definitely try the LCD, hopefully it will avoid my problem. The problem with Mac and Epson printers is with the newest operating system which I will avoid until it's solved.

In the meantime I had made up a little image in PS to mimic the nozzle check image to use in order to avoid changing to photo black ink. I find it puzzling that the photo black is way down even though I do not use it in my printing. must be the nozzle checks really eat it up.

Thanks so much Joe!

Ursula

NOPE!!!!! The nozzle check is NOT an image. It is mechanical command sent to the printer from the Firmware which causes each individual nozzle to fire a litrtle squirt of ink in sequence. So your idea will not work. You would simpoly be printing an image which would NOT tell you if you have even one nozzle not firing. Sorry but you must run a real nozzle check. Do it from the printner's LCD scree so you bypass the screwy MAC OS.

Joe

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,216
Like?

Go with Joe. Just do a manual nozzle check from the printer's console. I don't know if a nozzle check priint check is enough to keep the lines, channels and nozzles free, but it must help.

Brian A

Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?

Ursula Freer wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

Thank you Joe!

Ursula

Joe

Thanks so much Joe!

Ursula

I use both Macs and PCs to print but prefer the Mac.  I can't help you with the nozzle check, since I hardly ever do one.  The 3880 just always prints perfectly with Cone inks on both my Macs and PCs.

However, I can help you with the settings from Lightroom.  (I'm not sure how you can make a decent print without setting the media.)  On a Mac, in the "Print" tab in Lightroom there are two buttons on the lower left.  The first is "Page Setup" where you set the page size and orientation.  Right next to this button on the right is a button called "Print Settings".  This is where you set the "Media Type" and a lot of other settings.  Make sure you set the "Media Type" to the one recommended by the paper supplier (unless you found a better one).

The process on a PC is almost exactly the same.  On a PC though in the "Print" tab in Lightroom there is only one button on the lower left called "Page Setup".  This button brings up a window where you set the page size and orientation just like on a Mac.  However, on the right of this screen is another button called "Properties".  When you click this button it brings up a screen where you set the "Media Type" and a lot of other settings.

Pretty similar to the Mac.  The Mac has two separate buttons on the "Print" tab.  A PC has only one button on the "Print" tab that you click and that brings up the other button.

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Danny Michael
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 2, 2013

I think the big question is, why are you doing nozzle checks? Shouldn't need to do that unless you suspect a clogged nozzle, which is rare on this printer.

jtoolman
Like?
In reply to Danny Michael, Mar 2, 2013

Danny Michael wrote:

I think the big question is, why are you doing nozzle checks? Shouldn't need to do that unless you suspect a clogged nozzle, which is rare on this printer.

Sure, but the idea is that before you begin to print an important image to a sheet of very expensive paper I would like to know if I have all nozzles firing before commiting. It costs a fraction of a penny, a sheet of cheap bond paper and about 30 seconds.

JJ Winkel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?
Same for me
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 2, 2013

Before I go for a longer car journey, I lift the bonnet and check oil and water levels .....
--
JJ.

Ursula Freer
Like?

Danny Michael wrote:

If you live in a desert area where the humidity can go down to 8% you need to pay attention and avoid clogged nozzles. On the other hand I have a friend in San Francisco who printed without having to deal with a nozzle check after storing the printer for five years!

-- hide signature --
jtoolman
Like?
In reply to Ursula Freer, Mar 2, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

Danny Michael wrote:

If you live in a desert area where the humidity can go down to 8% you need to pay attention and avoid clogged nozzles. On the other hand I have a friend in San Francisco who printed without having to deal with a nozzle check after storing the printer for five years!

-- hide signature --

Sure. Miliage may vary when it comes to individual printers and humidity levels.

Printing without a previous nozzle check which use an almost unmeasurable amount of ink, so I don't understand why anyone would be against running one, specially when shoosing high quality will very likely not show you that you indeed have a few nozzles NOT firing. Only the Nozzle check will do that. Sometimes the missfiring nozzles will clear themselves out after several prints but they may not.

But if you do not want to run them, that is your choice, just I would not recommend doing so.

It is the same as not ever getting a medical check up just becuase you feel fine.

LAst night I did my 15 printers, reusing the same sheet of paper for each 4 nozzle checks. ALl were perfect except for one of my R1900s. Had I simply ran a print on $7 a sheet paper, I would have been out $7. I am using OCP inks on that printer and it is about 3 cents per ml so the cleaning cycle that I had to run to get everything back to normal must have cost me about 3 cents. Much better than $7.

Joe

Danny Michael
Like?

I live in Tucson, AZ, so I guess you could say I live in the desert. I have never had the need for doing nozzle checks on my 3880. My 9880 is a different story as it's heads clog constantly. Hey, whatever works for you, I just don't see the need. May I ask how many times has a nozzle check shown you problem? Do you have a problem with your printer clogging heads?

Ursula Freer
Like?

Danny Michael wrote:

I live in Tucson, AZ, so I guess you could say I live in the desert. I have never had the need for doing nozzle checks on my 3880. My 9880 is a different story as it's heads clog constantly. Hey, whatever works for you, I just don't see the need. May I ask how many times has a nozzle check shown you problem? Do you have a problem with your printer clogging heads?

I got the printer a couple of months ago and tried to print once a week. But the matte black clogged so badly that even regular cleaning did not help! It works now.

-- hide signature --
jtoolman
Like?

Danny Michael wrote:

Never on my 3800 but you have to realize I maintain over 15 printers from 13" and up.

It simply tells me there is a problem before I commit to running a print that will cost me $5 and up. A few dead nozzles will usually not show up as a problem on a print. I need to know ALL my nozzles are firing correctly.

To each his own.

jtoolman
Like?

Ursula Freer wrote:

Danny Michael wrote:

I got the printer a couple of months ago and tried to print once a week. But the matte black clogged so badly that even regular cleaning did not help! It works now.

-- hide signature --

If I know I will be churning out prints on a daily basis for weeks on a particular printer, I will not run a nozzle check. It is just as a measure of maintenance when you are NOT running the printer/s daily and then I will print one every one or every other week. That power it off to park the head on the docking station.

Again, you all do what works best for you. The 3880 and 3800 as the Canon 9000 and 9500 MKIIs can go for weeks without a single nozzle clogging. So it all depends on you printer and your environment as well as even the type of paper you rum through the printer.

Fine art fiber papers need to be pre-cleaned to remove any fibers or loose surface particles before printing. The dust they produce can reduce the life of your print head.

Joe

Danny Michael
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 2, 2013

I print from the 3880 maybe once a week and I do not turn it off. I do have a Tumi cover on it since my dog is a shedder.

The 9880 gets used every day and clogs at least every other day. It is also on all the time, but does not have a cover on it. I hate the 9880, love the 3880.

Oh, and sorry to the OP. I didn't mean to sidetrack your thread. I was just curious why you would run nozzle checks so often. I see now that I am in the minority by not running them. To each his own.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads