MX-1 DxOMark Test Up

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
MX-1 DxOMark Test Up
Feb 28, 2013

Drum roll please.........

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Pentax-MX-1-High-end-compact-with-retro-appeal-delivers-competitive-sensor-performance

Great job. In particular, some of the best low-light/high ISO scores for any compact, beating the S110, LX7 and P7700 for Sports (Low-Light ISO) score, and only falling short of the larger sensor X10 by a small amount.

The MX-1 also beats the popular G15 (a compact that everybody seems to love to talk up) on the strength of it's color depth and extremely high low-light scores for it's class.

It performed similarly to the XZ-2, which is not surprising since AFAIK they share the same sensor. It would have topped all 1/1.7" sensor compact but was held back by it's color depth scores which were in line with similar compact but were +/- 1 EV worse than the Nikon. This surprising as it is my understanding that the MX-1, XZ-2 and P7700 all share the same sensor (I guess Nikon added some special sauce like they did to the 16 mp Sony Exmor sensor in the D7000).

Anyway, the more I read about the MX-1, the more I like it. Hmm...

Cheers, Markus

** Note: Sorry if this has already been posted, but couldn't find it in a search, and since it just went up a little while ago, I thought maybe people hadn't seen it yet.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,090
Like?
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up...This Too....From The Same Test.....
In reply to marike6, Feb 28, 2013

From DxOMark In The Same Test We Also Find This Conclusion Not To Be Overlooked:

"Two slightly higher priced enthusiast compact cameras that compete with the MX-1 are the Olympus XZ-2 iHS ($599.99) and theSony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 ($649.99). The Olympus XZ-2 and MX-1 have the same Overall Score of 49 and perform almost identically across all three use case scores, which comes as no surprise given that they likely utilize the same 12-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor.

The Sony RX100, on the other hand, sports a much larger 1-inch CMOS sensor and is therefore able to achieve higher marks across the board, with an Overall Score of 66, essentially performing a full stop better than the MX-1 and XZ-2 as well as the Canon S110 and Panasonic LX7. In fact, the RX100 is able to beat the MX-1 and XZ-2 by 1.5 stops in color depth and 1EV in dynamic range. And in low-light shooting it wins by nearly one full stop, indicating that it is a better option for sports photography—again, no surprise given its larger sensor."

RE: Video review

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up...This Too....From The Same Test.....
In reply to jimr, Feb 28, 2013

Do not forget this is a sensor review and the slow lens on the RX100 at anything but wide open starts to lose out against these fast aperture compacts, In fact with a one stop advantage with the sensor it means the RX100 has a one stop disadvantage to all these fast cameras at full zoom and a shorter zoom also. Just a different sort of camera, not really relevant but relentlessly plugged.

jimr wrote:

From DxOMark In The Same Test We Also Find This Conclusion Not To Be Overlooked:

"Two slightly higher priced enthusiast compact cameras that compete with the MX-1 are the Olympus XZ-2 iHS ($599.99) and theSony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 ($649.99). The Olympus XZ-2 and MX-1 have the same Overall Score of 49 and perform almost identically across all three use case scores, which comes as no surprise given that they likely utilize the same 12-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor.

The Sony RX100, on the other hand, sports a much larger 1-inch CMOS sensor and is therefore able to achieve higher marks across the board, with an Overall Score of 66, essentially performing a full stop better than the MX-1 and XZ-2 as well as the Canon S110 and Panasonic LX7. In fact, the RX100 is able to beat the MX-1 and XZ-2 by 1.5 stops in color depth and 1EV in dynamic range. And in low-light shooting it wins by nearly one full stop, indicating that it is a better option for sports photography—again, no surprise given its larger sensor."

RE: Video review

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
Let's face it, they all suck at sport
In reply to marike6, Feb 28, 2013

.. But DxO Mark puts up with the big rhetorics that is nothing more than a webpage page filler with useless verbiage.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

 Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
You love the RX100, go buy it...
In reply to jimr, Feb 28, 2013

jimr wrote:

From DxOMark In The Same Test We Also Find This Conclusion Not To Be Overlooked:

"Two slightly higher priced enthusiast compact cameras that compete with the MX-1 are the Olympus XZ-2 iHS ($599.99) and theSony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 ($649.99). The Olympus XZ-2 and MX-1 have the same Overall Score of 49 and perform almost identically across all three use case scores, which comes as no surprise given that they likely utilize the same 12-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor.

The Sony RX100, on the other hand, sports a much larger 1-inch CMOS sensor and is therefore able to achieve higher marks across the board, with an Overall Score of 66, essentially performing a full stop better than the MX-1 and XZ-2 as well as the Canon S110 and Panasonic LX7. In fact, the RX100 is able to beat the MX-1 and XZ-2 by 1.5 stops in color depth and 1EV in dynamic range. And in low-light shooting it wins by nearly one full stop, indicating that it is a better option for sports photography—again, no surprise given its larger sensor."

RE: Video review

Why do people continually brag about the RX100? EVERYBODY and their mother knows about the RX100 but the focus if this post is the Pentax MX-1 and in case you missed it, this is the Pentax Compact Camera forum.

For some reason, every single time someone mentions the MX-1, you try to sell them ANOTHER cameras either the G15 or RX100 or whatever. You don't like the MX-1, don't buy it, but how about letting the people who want to talk about this exciting new Pentax do their thing without constantly trying to outdo them with another camera?

I've already owned and sold my RX100. It's got very good IQ and a good sensor, but it didn't do it for me as a camera. After using the X10 for almost a year, I hated shooting with the RX100. The DPR review talked about the things that are less good on the RX100, slow f4.9 max aperture and poor macro mode, and these are two of the things that made me dislike the camera. If you like it, go buy it.

You started yelling at Blunty in his excellent MX-1 review because you couldn't accept that he enjoys shooting with the MX-1 more than the RX100, so you seem to be having a tough time because not everybody loves the cameras YOU love.

I'm interested in talking about the MX-1, a camera with a fast lens, and excellent IQ.

On a side note, what's up with this forum?   The new flagship tests great at DxOMark and only 3 people care to talk about it?  It's no wonder that Pentax cameras don't do well in the market, it's own users it's a forum dedicated to compacts aren't even interested enough to talk about the exciting new Pentax.  When the Q was released, I was one of the few people in this forum defending it.  Now that it's $299, EVERYBODY love it and it's all anybody wants to talk about.  Weird how that works.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photocat2007
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: You love the RX100, go buy it...
In reply to marike6, Feb 28, 2013

marike6 wrote:


I'm interested in talking about the MX-1, a camera with a fast lens, and excellent IQ.

Amen!  Specs are necessary guidelines but good grief it is like being "spec'd" to death around here.  Get the whole camera and see if you like how it actually performs based on your needs and how you plan to use it.  If it doesn't meet your needs, return it.

 photocat2007's gear list:photocat2007's gear list
Pentax K-5 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,492Gear list
Like?
Re: You love the RX100, go buy it...
In reply to marike6, Feb 28, 2013

marike6 wrote:

jimr wrote:

From DxOMark In The Same Test We Also Find This Conclusion Not To Be Overlooked:

"Two slightly higher priced enthusiast compact cameras that compete with the MX-1 are the Olympus XZ-2 iHS ($599.99) and theSony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 ($649.99). The Olympus XZ-2 and MX-1 have the same Overall Score of 49 and perform almost identically across all three use case scores, which comes as no surprise given that they likely utilize the same 12-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor.

The Sony RX100, on the other hand, sports a much larger 1-inch CMOS sensor and is therefore able to achieve higher marks across the board, with an Overall Score of 66, essentially performing a full stop better than the MX-1 and XZ-2 as well as the Canon S110 and Panasonic LX7. In fact, the RX100 is able to beat the MX-1 and XZ-2 by 1.5 stops in color depth and 1EV in dynamic range. And in low-light shooting it wins by nearly one full stop, indicating that it is a better option for sports photography—again, no surprise given its larger sensor."

RE: Video review

Why do people continually brag about the RX100? EVERYBODY and their mother knows about the RX100 but the focus if this post is the Pentax MX-1 and in case you missed it, this is the Pentax Compact Camera forum.

For some reason, every single time someone mentions the MX-1, you try to sell them ANOTHER cameras either the G15 or RX100 or whatever. You don't like the MX-1, don't buy it, but how about letting the people who want to talk about this exciting new Pentax do their thing without constantly trying to outdo them with another camera?

I've already owned and sold my RX100. It's got very good IQ and a good sensor, but it didn't do it for me as a camera. After using the X10 for almost a year, I hated shooting with the RX100. The DPR review talked about the things that are less good on the RX100, slow f4.9 max aperture and poor macro mode, and these are two of the things that made me dislike the camera. If you like it, go buy it.

You started yelling at Blunty in his excellent MX-1 review because you couldn't accept that he enjoys shooting with the MX-1 more than the RX100, so you seem to be having a tough time because not everybody loves the cameras YOU love.

I'm interested in talking about the MX-1, a camera with a fast lens, and excellent IQ.

On a side note, what's up with this forum? The new flagship tests great at DxOMark and only 3 people care to talk about it? It's no wonder that Pentax cameras don't do well in the market, it's own users it's a forum dedicated to compacts aren't even interested enough to talk about the exciting new Pentax. When the Q was released, I was one of the few people in this forum defending it. Now that it's $299, EVERYBODY love it and it's all anybody wants to talk about. Weird how that works.

First thing, you mentioned (quoted) the results mentioning RX100 in a comparison group, so you actually brought it up. And it is a benchmark people like comparing to, because of the big sensor in small body, like it or not. Just reality.

Second, who really cares about the stupid DxOMark testing, especially in Pentax forum where we know how they treat Pentax lenses in their testing (always last). Does that mean Pentax makes worst lenses?  Of course not, it means just that DxO testing is often meaningless.

Third, there are few users in Pentax compact forum because up to Q there was nothing to really talk about, and Q is more like dSLR then compact (with K-mount adapters and stuff), so in this forum it is almost misplaced, it should be in the other forum really, where most of its user base is anyway. It will take time for the MX1 to stick, and change the fortune of this forum.

 DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edgar Matias
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses are more important
In reply to marike6, Mar 1, 2013

Actually, what I'd really like to see is DxOMark scores for the LENSES.

The sensors on all of these cameras aren't that much different -- as the DxOMark Sensor scores indicate. It's the lenses that make the difference, and it would be much more useful and interesting to see scores for those.

So far, the only fixed-lens camera they've lens tested was the Canon G1 X which scored 6P-Mpix...

http://is.gd/7hqElN

That's on a sensor that's more than twice as big as on the RX100. If a lens that big is delivering 6 Mp of detail, it makes me wonder how the lenses on these smaller cameras compare.

Do we really need a 20 Mp sensor, if the lens is less than 6 Mp?

As the sensors on small cameras like the MX-1 continue to improve, how much more detail can they pull from their lenses. I expect the answer is less than 6 Mp.

 Edgar Matias's gear list:Edgar Matias's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Apple iPhone 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
The difficulty of being honest to photography, not gadget mindset
In reply to jimr, Mar 1, 2013

I think some people are very unfair.

Look at the numbers: LX-7, XZ-2, G-15, D-Lux 6, etc. 7, 2, 15, 6 … We are talking about years and years of iterations and evolution, of development cost spread in all new bodies, of constant and steady profits, constant recognition and presence.

Yet MX-1, in its first incarnation, and with full R&D cost, is something people are very happy about. And talk about. And it is still very competitive pricewise.

It seems that Pentax has an uncanny ability not only to earn less than others (high initial cost vs very competitive price), but to make a camera a photographer's true friend — not just another gadget ( a gadget filled with features that come slowly and steadily in future releases, when and if people request them). Some people seem to recognise that honesty and it speaks to them. They feel it.

I almost regret I cannot allow myself to get another camera like the MX-1 because I already have a Q. But if I didn't have one, an MX-1 would be mine. I think MX-1 would be a better choice, but I shall live with my decision.

Personally, I'm looking forward to see what Pentax has in line for the larger sensor arena. Not a DSLR, but I'm keen to see whether Pentax Ricoh will answer Fuji X100s, and the Leica X2 — a fixed lens, fixed focal length, large sensor camera.

Maybe that will be next GRD 5?

That would be the camera I'm seriously interested in, because it's not a DSLR, not a compact zoom — the scope and use and philosophy of shooting such a camera are quite different, and cannot be replicated easily.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

 Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tjalpics
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up
In reply to marike6, Mar 1, 2013

I totally agree with you, marike6.

It's a shame that too many people rant about things that have nothing to do with this/or other subjects and have nothing to do with photography. Ranting is just a childish expression of stupidity and people like that should be banned by the moderators. Ranters are mostly blinded by their personal choices and mere technical characteristics like sensor sizes etc.: Pixel peeping paupers.

In the end, it is all about what the camera will produce and what the 'feel' of the photographs is. Leica's for instance never get the highest technical scores, but the beauty of their photographs are without discussion. And there are many prize winning professional photographers that use cheap, supposedly technical inferior cameras to produce the most compelling pictures ever made. The camera is a tool, not a goal.

Obviously, Pentax has (again) succesfully made 'more' of a mere 1/1.7 sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rosember
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up
In reply to marike6, Mar 1, 2013

Impressive and very nice results for the MX-1. Yet, as a Q owner, I am even more imopressed how well the Q with its much smaller sensor holds up to the competition.

 Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?
Re: You love the RX100, go buy it...
In reply to marike6, Mar 1, 2013

If you look carefully at jimr's posts the Fuji X20 seems to be the real object of his dreams. The RX100 is just an easy stick to talk down cameras with the big sensor must be better line. He is busy playing off many cameras against each other in other forums but is a bit less subtle with the attacks on the MX-1, however he defends the X20 vigorously saying people must be patient etc.. He has also just cut and pasted a great mass of data for an award for the Xtrans sensor.

marike6 wrote:

jimr wrote:

From DxOMark In The Same Test We Also Find This Conclusion Not To Be Overlooked:

"Two slightly higher priced enthusiast compact cameras that compete with the MX-1 are the Olympus XZ-2 iHS ($599.99) and theSony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 ($649.99). The Olympus XZ-2 and MX-1 have the same Overall Score of 49 and perform almost identically across all three use case scores, which comes as no surprise given that they likely utilize the same 12-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor.

The Sony RX100, on the other hand, sports a much larger 1-inch CMOS sensor and is therefore able to achieve higher marks across the board, with an Overall Score of 66, essentially performing a full stop better than the MX-1 and XZ-2 as well as the Canon S110 and Panasonic LX7. In fact, the RX100 is able to beat the MX-1 and XZ-2 by 1.5 stops in color depth and 1EV in dynamic range. And in low-light shooting it wins by nearly one full stop, indicating that it is a better option for sports photography—again, no surprise given its larger sensor."

RE: Video review

Why do people continually brag about the RX100? EVERYBODY and their mother knows about the RX100 but the focus if this post is the Pentax MX-1 and in case you missed it, this is the Pentax Compact Camera forum.

For some reason, every single time someone mentions the MX-1, you try to sell them ANOTHER cameras either the G15 or RX100 or whatever. You don't like the MX-1, don't buy it, but how about letting the people who want to talk about this exciting new Pentax do their thing without constantly trying to outdo them with another camera?

I've already owned and sold my RX100. It's got very good IQ and a good sensor, but it didn't do it for me as a camera. After using the X10 for almost a year, I hated shooting with the RX100. The DPR review talked about the things that are less good on the RX100, slow f4.9 max aperture and poor macro mode, and these are two of the things that made me dislike the camera. If you like it, go buy it.

You started yelling at Blunty in his excellent MX-1 review because you couldn't accept that he enjoys shooting with the MX-1 more than the RX100, so you seem to be having a tough time because not everybody loves the cameras YOU love.

I'm interested in talking about the MX-1, a camera with a fast lens, and excellent IQ.

On a side note, what's up with this forum? The new flagship tests great at DxOMark and only 3 people care to talk about it? It's no wonder that Pentax cameras don't do well in the market, it's own users it's a forum dedicated to compacts aren't even interested enough to talk about the exciting new Pentax. When the Q was released, I was one of the few people in this forum defending it. Now that it's $299, EVERYBODY love it and it's all anybody wants to talk about. Weird how that works.

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
logbi77
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up
In reply to marike6, Mar 1, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Drum roll please.........

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Pentax-MX-1-High-end-compact-with-retro-appeal-delivers-competitive-sensor-performance

Great job. In particular, some of the best low-light/high ISO scores for any compact, beating the S110, LX7 and P7700 for Sports (Low-Light ISO) score, and only falling short of the larger sensor X10 by a small amount.

The MX-1 also beats the popular G15 (a compact that everybody seems to love to talk up) on the strength of it's color depth and extremely high low-light scores for it's class.

It performed similarly to the XZ-2, which is not surprising since AFAIK they share the same sensor. It would have topped all 1/1.7" sensor compact but was held back by it's color depth scores which were in line with similar compact but were +/- 1 EV worse than the Nikon. This surprising as it is my understanding that the MX-1, XZ-2 and P7700 all share the same sensor (I guess Nikon added some special sauce like they did to the 16 mp Sony Exmor sensor in the D7000).

Anyway, the more I read about the MX-1, the more I like it. Hmm...

Cheers, Markus

** Note: Sorry if this has already been posted, but couldn't find it in a search, and since it just went up a little while ago, I thought maybe people hadn't seen it yet.

IF only you will look at the graphs you'll see that there's no special sauce, only access to a lower base iso with the P7700 which will obviously net a higher DR and Color Depth score.



Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,090
Like?
Ignored A Basic Fact....
In reply to Greynerd, Mar 1, 2013

You somehow totally ignored the basic and crucial fact that when I said be patient before coming to IQ conclusions about the X 20 the only samples available were from preproduction X 20s with preproduction firmware, while the MX -1 comments came from totally full production Pentax MX -1's with full production level firmware.

Greynerd wrote:

If you look carefully at jimr's posts the Fuji X20 seems to be the real object of his dreams. The RX100 is just an easy stick to talk down cameras with the big sensor must be better line. He is busy playing off many cameras against each other in other forums but is a bit less subtle with the attacks on the MX-1, however he defends the X20 vigorously saying people must be patient etc.. He has also just cut and pasted a great mass of data for an award for the Xtrans sensor.


If you noticed after being corrected about proper etiquette. that I apologized immediately for posting a large portion of the article rather than posting a link. Follow the full posting to give a true picture of what happened rather than take things out of context.

Did you happen to notice that it DXoMark made the comparison of the MX -1 to the RX-100. Then a selected portion of the DXoMark conclusion was posted. Selected. I posted the rest of the conclusion written in the same evaluation/test by DXoMark that somehow that was 'forgotten'  and skipped in the OP.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?
Re: Ignored A Basic Fact....
In reply to jimr, Mar 1, 2013

You are just repetitively posting against the MX-1 and stirring things up in the Olympus forum (XZ-2 vs XZ-10), even trying to open threads on cameras you have no intention of buying just to knock any replies down I am sure. I have no axe to grind on this as I am a so far happy owner of a Samsung EX2f which is off your radar anyhow. One thing I have found is that a lot of reviewers are completely clueless as to how these cameras work in depth. (One missed that clicking the front dial with the EX2 gives you direct exposure offset). My experience is that this fast lens 1/1.7" camera nearly matches my m43 EPM-1 camera indoors even with a 19mm f2.8 sigma prime which was What Digital Camera's lens of the year. The MX-1 has I am sure an even better sensor and looks a very capable camera. The EX2f will do fine until I can afford an EPM2/E-PL5 which has the new Sony sensor.

From what I recall you were knocking the MX-1 before anyone had seen any images or too few to come to any conclusion. I just find your postings very odd and I will follow them with interest.

Do not forget that we are all really jaded about hearing the same things posted again and again and again and again and again and ....Infinity about the RX100 in non Sony forums and to be honest I really irrationally hate the camera whatever it can or cannot do. Not logical I am sure but we cannot all aspire to Vulcan detachment.

jimr wrote:

You somehow totally ignored the basic and crucial fact that when I said be patient before coming to IQ conclusions about the X 20 the only samples available were from preproduction X 20s with preproduction firmware, while the MX -1 comments came from totally full production Pentax MX -1's with full production level firmware.

Greynerd wrote:

If you look carefully at jimr's posts the Fuji X20 seems to be the real object of his dreams. The RX100 is just an easy stick to talk down cameras with the big sensor must be better line. He is busy playing off many cameras against each other in other forums but is a bit less subtle with the attacks on the MX-1, however he defends the X20 vigorously saying people must be patient etc.. He has also just cut and pasted a great mass of data for an award for the Xtrans sensor.


If you noticed after being corrected about proper etiquette. that I apologized immediately for posting a large portion of the article rather than posting a link. Follow the full posting to give a true picture of what happened rather than take things out of context.

Did you happen to notice that it DXoMark made the comparison of the MX -1 to the RX-100. Then a selected portion of the DXoMark conclusion was posted. Selected. I posted the rest of the conclusion written in the same evaluation/test by DXoMark that somehow that was 'forgotten' and skipped in the OP.

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,492Gear list
Like?
Re: strange PCmag MX1 review
In reply to Greynerd, Mar 1, 2013

Worrying review of MX1 in PCmag, they did the Imatest sharpness tests at various focal lengths. They say poor corner and side sharpness at wide angle. I hope they just got a bad sample.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415673,00.asp

 DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flektogon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021
Like?
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up
In reply to logbi77, Mar 1, 2013

logbi77 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Drum roll please.........

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Pentax-MX-1-High-end-compact-with-retro-appeal-delivers-competitive-sensor-performance

Great job. In particular, some of the best low-light/high ISO scores for any compact, beating the S110, LX7 and P7700 for Sports (Low-Light ISO) score, and only falling short of the larger sensor X10 by a small amount.

The MX-1 also beats the popular G15 (a compact that everybody seems to love to talk up) on the strength of it's color depth and extremely high low-light scores for it's class.

It performed similarly to the XZ-2, which is not surprising since AFAIK they share the same sensor. It would have topped all 1/1.7" sensor compact but was held back by it's color depth scores which were in line with similar compact but were +/- 1 EV worse than the Nikon. This surprising as it is my understanding that the MX-1, XZ-2 and P7700 all share the same sensor (I guess Nikon added some special sauce like they did to the 16 mp Sony Exmor sensor in the D7000).

Anyway, the more I read about the MX-1, the more I like it. Hmm...

Cheers, Markus

** Note: Sorry if this has already been posted, but couldn't find it in a search, and since it just went up a little while ago, I thought maybe people hadn't seen it yet.

IF only you will look at the graphs you'll see that there's no special sauce, only access to a lower base iso with the P7700 which will obviously net a higher DR and Color Depth score.



As those P&S cameras no (reasonable) user is going to use at a higher sensitivity than 1600 ISO, they perform completely identically. At least their sensor/processing is the same. Different lens in each of them can make some overall difference however. The problem with Pentax is not that they came with a mediocre camera, but that they came with it too late and they didn’t bring any new, attractive feature. So, why a potential customer would buy a Pentax? The Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Samsung or Panasonic cameras in this class are not worse. And that’s the difference between Pentax and for example Sony. Regardless whether you like or hate Sony, it is the most innovative company without any doubt. The recent Pentax innovations turned out to be rather failures. Yes, the Pentax fans buy them, but only due to a heavy discount.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xue24
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up
In reply to flektogon, Mar 1, 2013

flektogon wrote:

logbi77 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Drum roll please.........

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Pentax-MX-1-High-end-compact-with-retro-appeal-delivers-competitive-sensor-performance

Great job. In particular, some of the best low-light/high ISO scores for any compact, beating the S110, LX7 and P7700 for Sports (Low-Light ISO) score, and only falling short of the larger sensor X10 by a small amount.

The MX-1 also beats the popular G15 (a compact that everybody seems to love to talk up) on the strength of it's color depth and extremely high low-light scores for it's class.

It performed similarly to the XZ-2, which is not surprising since AFAIK they share the same sensor. It would have topped all 1/1.7" sensor compact but was held back by it's color depth scores which were in line with similar compact but were +/- 1 EV worse than the Nikon. This surprising as it is my understanding that the MX-1, XZ-2 and P7700 all share the same sensor (I guess Nikon added some special sauce like they did to the 16 mp Sony Exmor sensor in the D7000).

Anyway, the more I read about the MX-1, the more I like it. Hmm...

Cheers, Markus

** Note: Sorry if this has already been posted, but couldn't find it in a search, and since it just went up a little while ago, I thought maybe people hadn't seen it yet.

IF only you will look at the graphs you'll see that there's no special sauce, only access to a lower base iso with the P7700 which will obviously net a higher DR and Color Depth score.



As those P&S cameras no (reasonable) user is going to use at a higher sensitivity than 1600 ISO, they perform completely identically. At least their sensor/processing is the same. Different lens in each of them can make some overall difference however. The problem with Pentax is not that they came with a mediocre camera, but that they came with it too late and they didn’t bring any new, attractive feature. So, why a potential customer would buy a Pentax? The Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Samsung or Panasonic cameras in this class are not worse. And that’s the difference between Pentax and for example Sony. Regardless whether you like or hate Sony, it is the most innovative company without any doubt. The recent Pentax innovations turned out to be rather failures. Yes, the Pentax fans buy them, but only due to a heavy discount.

can't agree. i wish to shoot higher than iso1600 if the camera is capable to and a p&s camera is more often in need for high iso shooting conditions as it is likely going everywhere with you, at least that's for me.  and no, not all p&s perform completely identical at high iso.  and yes, canon, nikon, olympus, samsung or panasonic are not worse but they are certainly not pentax.  i shot sony, canon, panasonic, leica(compact), ricoh and now pentax and sorry there are differences on control, design, IQ, etc.  it is ok you prefer sony which also is one of the companies gives us many excitements. but so do pentax, they try and just not as well received by others.

like the recent K01 discounted announcement which everyone can't wait to express they are so right to predict it will die.  but they never ever use it once.  similarly, if you don't think MX-1 is your choice, please feel free to talk in sony forum or others.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,090
Like?
Re: Ignored A Basic Fact....
In reply to Greynerd, Mar 1, 2013

Greynerd ....

Totally ignore facts again.

You do not answer any points.

Just throw out broad statements of you do this and do that....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flektogon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021
Like?
Re: MX-1 DxOMark Test Up
In reply to xue24, Mar 1, 2013

xue24 wrote:

like the recent K01 discounted announcement which everyone can't wait to express they are so right to predict it will die. but they never ever use it once. similarly, if you don't think MX-1 is your choice, please feel free to talk in sony forum or others.

It is very difficult to discuss anything with someone with an attitude like yours. FYI I am a Pentax fan, but not a crazy one, who doesn’t want to know anything about the other brands. Simply, if the Pentax MX-1 had any VF then I would be tempted. But it doesn’t. So, my next P&S camera (if at all) will not be Pentax. Fuji X-20 maybe?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads