External Flash (270EX) for a G15 and SX50

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
Gimble
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
External Flash (270EX) for a G15 and SX50
Feb 28, 2013

I have a G15 and have just ordered an SX50.

I was wondering how much of an advantage an external flash would be for these cameras - probably the Canon 270EX.

Most of the shots that I currently take are portraits of the family and children - with a high percentage being indoor. Generally my subjects are not more than about 12 feet away. When shooting outdoor portraits I usually use flash for fill in. My only experience of an external flash is on my Nikon DSLR (D5100) where I use Nikon's equivalent to the 270EX - the SB400. It has the same tilt but not swivel mechanism. I probably never use the flash off the camera.

With the SX50 I assume that I will take more long range shots and video. (I have never had a super zoom bridge camera before.) However, I probably won't take both cameras out with me at the same time so will be taking some portraits with the SX50 too.

I have been pleased with how the G15 has worked with its on-board flash (sometimes dialled down a bit) but wondered how much better an external flash would be.

Can anyone here comment on how much better flash shots are using an 270EX with a G15 and/or SX50 compared to the onboard flash?

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FJG3
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Re: External Flash (270EX) for a G15 and SX50
In reply to Gimble, Feb 28, 2013

I own both the SX50HS and the G15 along with the 270EX flash. The built in flash is good on each camera but the 270EX has a better range and the 270EX head is movable from horizontal to vertical for bounce flashes. I think the 270EX is a worthwhile purchase especially when it will work with both cameras.

FJG3's gear list:FJG3's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Canon PowerShot G15 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wndrch
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: External Flash (270EX) for a G15 and SX50
In reply to Gimble, Feb 28, 2013

I just bought a G15 and love it.

I have tried my 270EX on it and I think its totally worth it for indoor shots. Being able to bounc the flash off the ceiling makes a huge difference in even lighting (and avoiding red eye and shiny foreheads, etc) for the scene but I agree that the G15 flash works well when dialed back a few steps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads