Auto White balance error E5

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
Oly E10
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
Auto White balance error E5
Feb 28, 2013

Not the first time I've had this "error". The white balance being way off.

I took a series of 40+ photos and all exhibited this blue cast.

Obviously a white balance situation. I noticed this blue cast in the first photo

that I took, so I turned the camera off, hoping that a reboot would set my Auto WB back to

normal. no such luck.

Approx 45 minutes later I went out again and took a series of photos, same camera, same lens

and the Auto WB was spot on. The only changes I'd made were shutter speed and f stop.

Anyone else have this happening?

Blue image shot approx 45 mins before the other one.

Oly E10's gear list:Oly E10's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +1 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?
Re: Auto White balance error E5
In reply to Oly E10, Feb 28, 2013

hard to say much that will be positive
seems like it flipped to tungsten WB

never happened to me in any camera
could be indicative of a problem that will get worse
I guess you have to wait and see, but consider what warranty you have left if any

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IanDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?

I've had AWB errors with the E-5 on occasion where one shot was spot on and the other wasn't. Not sure what the cause was in that scenario.

IanDavis's gear list:IanDavis's gear list
Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +6 more
Timskis6
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,562
Like?

On the E-1, the external WB sensor was very close to the shutter, so much so that when wearing gloves the glove could partially or completely cover the WB sensor, leading to highly inaccurate results.

I didn't have this issue on the E-3, however, never used the E-5 but might be something to consider.

Perhaps disable the external WB sensor and just use TTL for WB, and see if it solves your issue.

Cheers,

Oly E10
Like?
In reply to Timskis6, Feb 28, 2013

Timskis6 wrote:

On the E-1, the external WB sensor was very close to the shutter, so much so that when wearing gloves the glove could partially or completely cover the WB sensor, leading to highly inaccurate results.

I didn't have this issue on the E-3, however, never used the E-5 but might be something to consider.

Perhaps disable the external WB sensor and just use TTL for WB, and see if it solves your issue.

Cheers,

Have to say I was "glove-less" taking pictures this morning it really wasn't that cold.

I have today tried taking pictures with the WB sensor covered by a finger and can't

honestly say it made a great deal of difference to the end product. I would have thought it

would have, but no.

Disable the external WB sensor, how?

I've had the E5 for just over a year, and this I guess is about the 3rd time I've had this problem.

Intermittent problems are always the difficult ones to solve.

Thanks for your input.

Peter in Canada.

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +1 more
Timskis6
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,562
Like?
pg 117
In reply to Oly E10, Mar 2, 2013

Interesting and good to know your experiences with covering the external WB sensor on the E-5.

In the E-5 manual it looks like there's a setting to activate or inactivate the use of the external WB sensor:

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Tim
http://www.developemotion.com
'I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.'
E3/14-54/IkeliteUW
D700/14-24/24-70/70-200/135DC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timskis6/

Oly E10
Like?
Re: pg 117
In reply to Timskis6, Mar 2, 2013

Timskis6 wrote:

Interesting and good to know your experiences with covering the external WB sensor on the E-5.

In the E-5 manual it looks like there's a setting to activate or inactivate the use of the external WB sensor:

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Tim
http://www.developemotion.com
'I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.'
E3/14-54/IkeliteUW
D700/14-24/24-70/70-200/135DC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timskis6/

Thanks for the info. I'll check that option out as soon as possible.

Once again thanks.

Peter in Canada.

VortacPhotos
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

I see some light on the ground on the first image. At what time the photo was taken?

Oly E10
Like?
In reply to VortacPhotos, Mar 2, 2013

VortacPhotos wrote:

I see some light on the ground on the first image. At what time the photo was taken?

Indeed the "blue" photo was taken before the "normal" photo.

Not sure the street lights would cause the WB to be that far off.

Could I be wrong? A possibility I guess.

I think I will experiment with a series of photos with street lights on to see if I get the same

effect.

Taken times of the photos are in the EXIF.

EXIF pops up for me if I hover my mouse over the photo.

Thanks for your input.

Peter in Canada.

petrbur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090
Like?

Oly E10 wrote:

.....The only changes I'd made were shutter speed and f stop.

But there was the Mother Nature who did one big change as well. An evidence about that change is quit obvious precisely from the shutter speed / f-stop differences in your pictures

The SUNRISE !

Those blue-casted pictures you shot at 6:45 local time, just 10 minutes before sunrise (assuming you are still in Ontario, Canada, where sunrise was 06:55 local time on February, 28th).

The second photo was taken at 7:27, well after sunrise.

Well, I can't guarantie I'm right, but IMHO the chalenging light conditions before sunrise, with influence from artifical light such as street lamps, was the main - and probably only one - reason, why you got consistently "wrong" white balance with your first shooting serie. WB on E-5 normaly goes well, but one can't expect a miracle in such conditions...

-- hide signature --

Petr
Zenfolio gallery at http://medsved.net

Oly E10
Like?
In reply to petrbur, Mar 3, 2013

petrbur wrote:

Oly E10 wrote:

.....The only changes I'd made were shutter speed and f stop.

But there was the Mother Nature who did one big change as well. An evidence about that change is quit obvious precisely from the shutter speed / f-stop differences in your pictures

The SUNRISE !

Those blue-casted pictures you shot at 6:45 local time, just 10 minutes before sunrise (assuming you are still in Ontario, Canada, where sunrise was 06:55 local time on February, 28th).

The second photo was taken at 7:27, well after sunrise.

Well, I can't guarantie I'm right, but IMHO the chalenging light conditions before sunrise, with influence from artifical light such as street lamps, was the main - and probably only one - reason, why you got consistently "wrong" white balance with your first shooting serie. WB on E-5 normaly goes well, but one can't expect a miracle in such conditions...

-- hide signature --

Petr
Zenfolio gallery at http://medsved.net

I'm going to try another series before sunrise and see if I get the same "blue" images.

Thanks for your input.

I agree the E5 WB is normally very reliable indeed.

Peter in Canada.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads