External display

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Questions
farenlina
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
External display
Feb 28, 2013

Please help me out; I’m looking for a decent external monitor for photo and video editing. But I’m lost and I don’t know what the main things to consider are :-(. Things like should the monitor be a wide gamut one and do I need to buy a calibration tool.

Been looking at the U2412M and U2410. But U2412M comes without HDMI that turned me off and U2410 is still pretty expensive and old. Please guide me a little cause right now I don’t know what to do..

Thank you

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,057
Like?
Re: External display
In reply to farenlina, Feb 28, 2013

farenlina wrote:

Been looking at the U2412M and U2410. But U2412M comes without HDMI that turned me off and U2410 is still pretty expensive and old.

Both of these monitors have DisplayPort, DVI-D, and VGA inputs.  Their resolutions are low enough that you would only need a single-link DVI connection.  The U2410 also has composite, component, and HDMI inputs, which would mostly be of interest if you were hooking it up as a monitor for a TV accessory (video game, etc.) or for a laptop that uses HDMI for video output.

The U2410 has a wider color gamut, 12-bit internal processing, better color space coverage, faster response time, greater brightness, and a media card reader.

These differences between the U2410 and U2412M easily explain the $180 (list price) difference.  i would not rush to assume that the U2410 is inferior because it is "old", or that the U2412 is no good because it passes over HDMI in favor of DisplayPort and DVI.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
farenlina
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Feb 28, 2013

But what do you think might be the best choice? Not using hdmi at the moment but for some reason I don’t like the idea of not being able to use it in the future.

NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,472
Like?

You can buy HDMI to Displayport adapters.

Q. Do you need wide gamut?  Do you do your own printing on a high end multi-ink printer?  Is most of your editing just for images you upload to web sites like Flickr or Smugmug? Are you aware of all the pitfalls with wide gamut?  Is all your viewing and editing software color managed as will have to be with wide gamut?

Q. Do you have a hardware calibrator that is recent capable of calibrating a wide gamut monitor?  I ask because the U2410 is a bit fickle and if you want to use it and have accurate colors you will require a recent hardware calibrator.

-- hide signature --

farenlina
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Feb 28, 2013

That’s one solution I haven’t thought about, thanks! But  when using HDMI to Display port adapter is that with sound as well?

To be honest I don’t know. I think I understood what wide gamut is about but not really if I need it or not. What I need is as an external monitor for my Macbookpro and mostly what I’m working with is FCPX, Motion 5 and DaVinci so video editing. From the reading I been doing I understood that I probably will have to invest in a calibrator as well but right now I don’t have anything. Just a bad need for a new external monitor J!

NewsyL
Like?

farenlina wrote:

That’s one solution I haven’t thought about, thanks! But when using HDMI to Display port adapter is that with sound as well?

No.  But then most of the better quality monitors for image editing don't have speakers in any case.

To be honest I don’t know. I think I understood what wide gamut is about but not really if I need it or not. What I need is as an external monitor for my Macbookpro and mostly what I’m working with is FCPX, Motion 5 and DaVinci so video editing. From the reading I been doing I understood that I probably will have to invest in a calibrator as well but right now I don’t have anything. Just a bad need for a new external monitor J!

Mac uses a Displayport, does it not?

Mac monitors and laptops are standard sRGB gamut more or less.

-- hide signature --

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,900
Like?

farenlina wrote:

That’s one solution I haven’t thought about, thanks! But when using HDMI to Display port adapter is that with sound as well

I don't think most PC video cards with HDMI transmit sound over it.  For the few monitors with speakers, I believe you're still running an audio cable.  For video, the HDMI/DVI cable has long been easy to get.

Eric Carlson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,389Gear list
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Mar 1, 2013

kelpdiver wrote:

I don't think most PC video cards with HDMI transmit sound over it. For the few monitors with speakers, I believe you're still running an audio cable. For video, the HDMI/DVI cable has long been easy to get.

Many PC's do provide sound via HDMI, but as has already been said, the better monitors don't have speakers anyway, and even monitors with speakers generally have lousy speakers.

The best adapter to use with HDMI is DVI since the video signals are exactly the same, and all you need is a cheap adapter ($3) or cable ($6) that goes from HDMI to DVI: It doesn't need to contain any electronics like a DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI adapter often does.

Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
farenlina
Like?
In reply to Eric Carlson, Mar 1, 2013

Thank you everyone for your quick and helpful answers. So I think I’m convinced that HDMI isn’t a ”must” have for my purpose. Also now I know there is a lot of ways to get around this anyway so it doesn’t worry me as much.

farenlina
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Mar 1, 2013

Yes it does and I have a Displayport to DVI converter I’m going to use.

So because of that you suggest I don’t get the monitor with wider color gamut? Cause this won't work with my laptops screen?

Considering I read somewhere that people suggested everyone serious using an external monitor to calibrate it, maybe the U2412M is a good choice cause then I can afford like a Spyder4Expres aswell.

*Sorry for the weird quoting

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,057
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Mar 1, 2013

NewsyL wrote:

Thunderbolt, which will drive a DisplayPort monitor (or sometimes two daisy-chained Thunderbolt ones).

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,739
Like?
Sure they do...
In reply to kelpdiver, Mar 1, 2013

kelpdiver wrote:

farenlina wrote:

That’s one solution I haven’t thought about, thanks! But when using HDMI to Display port adapter is that with sound as well

I don't think most PC video cards with HDMI transmit sound over it. For the few monitors with speakers, I believe you're still running an audio cable. For video, the HDMI/DVI cable has long been easy to get.

Most do now. I've got a little Dell Inspiron 11Z I bought year before last in refurbished condition from Dell Outlet for $153.22 that uses an Intel GMA 4500MHD video chipset in it that supports audio over it's HDMI port. The regular 4500M chipset does not, but the HD version does.

I've been considering using it for an HTPC setup (for watching online content, storing and playing movies, music and photos) running OpenElec (a linux based operating system with XBMC and plugins available for it for media playback). The netbook is currently setup in a muti-boot config with 64 Bit Win 7 and some linux distros on it. So, adding another one that's geared towards media use is no big deal.

I'm using a little Android 4.0 based set top box for that purpose right now. But, the chipset in it is a bit underpowered, and I keep thinking that the netbook may be better suited. I don't use the netbook much (only when away from home). So, I could just unplug it to take it with me, and hook it back up (HDMI cable, power, wireless keyboard) each time I get back to the house.

I think most of the newer Intel chipsets support audio over HDMI, too.

Most newer Nvidia cards also support audio over HDMI. I've got an Nvidia GT 440 that's two generations old that does (and newer 5xx and 6xx series cards have come out since I got that one).

But, chances are, a desktop display (versus a display used for TV) is not going to support Audio over an HDMI connection anyway (you'd just use separate audio cables to the jacks on it from your computer if buying a monitor with speakers built in).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

NewsyL
Like?
In reply to farenlina, Mar 1, 2013

farenlina wrote:

Yes it does and I have a Displayport to DVI converter I’m going to use.

So because of that you suggest I don’t get the monitor with wider color gamut? Cause this won't work with my laptops screen?

No, I was just pointing out the color space you have been working in up to now.

Imho, wide gamut monitors are not for everyone. I don't know enough about the Apple OS to comprehend just how well it inherently handles color management issues. Some of what I have read sounds great. I do know that in the Windows OS, even with the latest Win8 there are hurdles that most casual hobbyist photographers may not be able to get past.

If you send your images out to an offsite commercial printer or you edit only for the web or you only shoot black & white, or you don't use any color managed software for viewing or editing, a wide gamut monitor may provide less of a benefit and more of a detriment to your hobby.

Considering I read somewhere that people suggested everyone serious using an external monitor to calibrate it, maybe the U2412M is a good choice cause then I can afford like a Spyder4Expres aswell.

Perhaps a lot of those comments came from conversations involving a Windows laptop using 6bit color depth "TN" matrix LCD screens. A bad combination for serious editing where you're trying to get the colors right.

PS.... the Spyder4 Express sucks.  Get the Pro at least.  For one thing the Pro will show you in one screen early on (using Advanced mode I think) what the monitor white luminance level is.  The Elite has a dedicated module for setting monitor brightness.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4express/

Click on the product comparison tab.

-- hide signature --

rpenmanparker
Contributing MemberPosts: 569
Like?
In reply to farenlina, Mar 1, 2013

ASUS VS239H-P can't be beat for the price ($170 on Amazon a couple of months ago).  ISP-HDMI.  A great deal.

Yes, you should have a calibration tool or at least rent one every so often.  ColorMunkis can be rented online for about $50.

Robert

Eric Carlson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,389Gear list
Like?
Re: Sure they do...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Mar 2, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

But, chances are, a desktop display (versus a display used for TV) is not going to support Audio over an HDMI connection anyway (you'd just use separate audio cables to the jacks on it from your computer if buying a monitor with speakers built in).

To add to what you said earlier in your post (and my earlier post), my Acer netbook supports audio via the HDMI output, and so does my android phone.

Also, my inexpensive 27" Auria EQ276W 2560x1440 monitor supports audio via HDMI (I don't plan to use the speakers in the monitor, but I did test them via HDMI). I've also seen computer monitors that support HDMI but that don't have speakers have an audio out jack for connecting powered speakers for use via the HDMI audio.

But, as I said earlier, you can always use the audio out on your computer to connect speakers, instead of using HDMI.

Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
farenlina
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Mar 4, 2013

Thank you everyone for your interesting comments. I decided to take a serious look at the U2410 because with that one I'm more likely to afford the spyder4pro which seems like a good investment. Thank you!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads