Windows and video streaming

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
mstecker
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?
Windows and video streaming
Feb 28, 2013

I sometimes make video slide shows to play in QuickTime (.mov, H.264 encoding) so people can view the shows from my web-site on either Mac, Windows or tablets.  When I play them online from my MacMini on Safari and the Mountain Lion Mac OS the shows start immediately (I presume they are streaming).  However, when I or a friend try to play them on a Windows 7 computer in Firefox, they first must completely download before playing.  Since these are very large files it does take some time.  So I wonder why the difference between playing these QuickTime videos with the different operating systems and browsers.  Why wont my Windows computer stream these videos?  Do I have the wrong settings?

Here is an example:

Point Loma California
(http://mstecker.com/ss/PtLoma3-vid.mov  110MB)

-- hide signature --
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows and video streaming
In reply to mstecker, Feb 28, 2013

Your link points directly to the file, it is not streaming, it is downloading.

(Win7 Home and firefox)

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mstecker
Like?
In reply to rio911, Feb 28, 2013

rio911 wrote:

(Win7 Home and firefox)

rio

Yes, that is how it works in Windows/Firefox.  There is a long delay until it is completely downloaded and then plays.  However, when I use the same file online with a Mac it starts immediately.  Why is there a difference in how the computers display the slide show -- immediate (Mac) versus delayed (Windows)?

-- hide signature --
rio911
Like?
In reply to mstecker, Feb 28, 2013

mstecker wrote:

rio911 wrote:

(Win7 Home and firefox)

rio

Yes, that is how it works in Windows/Firefox. There is a long delay until it is completely downloaded and then plays. However, when I use the same file online with a Mac it starts immediately. Why is there a difference in how the computers display the slide show -- immediate (Mac) versus delayed (Windows)?

-- hide signature --

Nooo, the difference is not Win vs Mac.  My guess is, it is your QuickTime file.  Under Windows QuickTime is a huge nuisance and I doubt anyone uses it.  On the other hand, your Mac supports it, probably because you installed it.

rio

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
mstecker
Like?
In reply to rio911, Mar 2, 2013

rio911 wrote:

mstecker wrote:

rio911 wrote:

(Win7 Home and firefox)

rio

Yes, that is how it works in Windows/Firefox. There is a long delay until it is completely downloaded and then plays. However, when I use the same file online with a Mac it starts immediately. Why is there a difference in how the computers display the slide show -- immediate (Mac) versus delayed (Windows)?

-- hide signature --

Nooo, the difference is not Win vs Mac. My guess is, it is your QuickTime file. Under Windows QuickTime is a huge nuisance and I doubt anyone uses it. On the other hand, your Mac supports it, probably because you installed it.

rio

I made the QuickTime slide show primarily for Mac and Ipad users and not me. Just about everyone I know with a Mac has no trouble with the files.  For some reason QuickTime does not work nearly as well with Windows as with a Mac.  On my Mac, I did not install QuickTime (probably why it works so well, LOL) as it was already on the computer (OSX-Mountain Lion) when I bought it.

-- hide signature --
rio911
Like?
In reply to mstecker, Mar 2, 2013

mstecker wrote:

I made the QuickTime slide show primarily for Mac and Ipad users and not me. Just about everyone I know with a Mac has no trouble with the files. For some reason QuickTime does not work nearly as well with Windows as with a Mac. On my Mac, I did not install QuickTime (probably why it works so well, LOL) as it was already on the computer (OSX-Mountain Lion) when I bought it.

-- hide signature --

Hi Mike,

I thought you knew that QT is owned/developed by Apple, so the support under Macintosh is different than with Windows.

rio

Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,949
Like?
nothing to do with Windows
In reply to mstecker, Mar 2, 2013

Mac's handle metadata in the .MOV file differently because of the draconian way Apple handles all their media apps - no distinction between apps and operating systems. To be fair, Microsoft tries to do the same with their own formats, but nobody takes them seriously and it's typically ignored. Try running Silverlight on Linux - same annoyances.

Firefox is obviously not detecting the .MOV file is supposed to be streamed, or the player you are using isn't reading it. As I recall .MOV files need to either be 'hinted with QT Pro that they need to be streamed, or launched with a web-script that tells your client machine browser it needs to be streamed.

Firefox is playing by the rules.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads