Free Riders in Challenge Voting: My Top Ten!

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions
RuthC
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Free Riders in Challenge Voting: My Top Ten!
Feb 28, 2013

I've recently compiled an interesting list of some of the challenge entrants who have enjoyed participating in entering many, many challenges, but have not, IMO, contributed their fair share of voting for other entries. (I know voting isn't compulsory, but....)

Heres' my top ten picks. Don't forget to congratulate them if you see their names in your challenges.

1. Minzaw. Challenges: 2,237. Votes: 183

2. Gerry328. Challenges: 2,098. Votes: 318

3. TXPhoto Doc. Challenges: 1,276. Votes: 0 (that's a good one, isn't it?)

4. aniramca. Challenges: 1,054. Votes: 0 (another good one, huh?)

5. Deepak Kaw. Challenges: 811. Votes: 2.

6. Bonzai. Challenges: 809. Votes: 15.

7. Minnie V. Challenges: 721. Votes: 1.

8. DigitalTed. Challenges: 468. Votes: 4.

9. Molarjung. Challenges: 399. Votes: 1.

10. El Drac. Challenges: 377. Votes: 0.

I could continue compiling names, but I think you get the idea that there are some members who are not REALLY pulling their weight in these challenges, yet expect others to vote for their treasured entries.....

Ruth

ConanFuji
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,206Gear list
Like?
Re: Free Riders in Challenge Voting: My Top Ten!
In reply to RuthC, Feb 28, 2013

RuthC wrote:

I've recently compiled an interesting list of some of the challenge entrants who have enjoyed participating in entering many, many challenges, but have not, IMO, contributed their fair share of voting for other entries. (I know voting isn't compulsory, but....)

Heres' my top ten picks. Don't forget to congratulate them if you see their names in your challenges.

1. Minzaw. Challenges: 2,237. Votes: 183

2. Gerry328. Challenges: 2,098. Votes: 318

3. TXPhoto Doc. Challenges: 1,276. Votes: 0 (that's a good one, isn't it?)

4. aniramca. Challenges: 1,054. Votes: 0 (another good one, huh?)

5. Deepak Kaw. Challenges: 811. Votes: 2.

6. Bonzai. Challenges: 809. Votes: 15.

7. Minnie V. Challenges: 721. Votes: 1.

8. DigitalTed. Challenges: 468. Votes: 4.

9. Molarjung. Challenges: 399. Votes: 1.

10. El Drac. Challenges: 377. Votes: 0.

I could continue compiling names, but I think you get the idea that there are some members who are not REALLY pulling their weight in these challenges, yet expect others to vote for their treasured entries.....

Ruth

We all pull our weight in different ways. When has that become politically incorrect?

If you want to bring home the bacon and cook it, doesn't mean your husband have to wash the dishes and start ironing your blouses.

ConanFuji's gear list:ConanFuji's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wildbegonia
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?

Dear Ruth,

I would not have words kind enough to praise your curatorial skills put in practice on your challenges.  You take good and fair care of them, because of this (and even if sometimes they hold too numerous entries for my taste) , they are cheer joy to vote on them.

But there is another side to the coin.  I can only speak as a voter and for my self,  and so  like you, I do have a list of Hosts names who, unlike you, do not curate their challenges.  They announce a challenge and let it grow like wild fire.  They accept cheaters in their challenges, they are cheaters themselves,  do not DQ entries which do not comply to the rules (because it does not look good to have one entry only in a challenge, does it?), they accept plagiarism,  do not respect their own rules, erase comments on the challenge page (not because they are uncivilized but because they disagree with them), hosts that state serious and questionable rules, hosts who resource to rude, insulting and bulling commentary when faced with their inability to formulate intelligent arguments or constructive criticism.  For all this reasons and some others is better to forget, I do not vote in their challenges. Ah! Yes, I forgot one:  the fact that I can not vote using my IPad (unless I purchase a browser application which I refuse).

But, not all is lost, I am sure someone out there, at this very moment, is creating another list of members. Members  like me, who are participating less and less in the challenges but find a lot of enjoyment and learning in voting.  I hope this will cheer you up a bit.

Pease do not quit, some new comers to DP are looking at your work as an example to follow.

-- hide signature --

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Wildbegonia
Like?
In reply to Wildbegonia, Feb 28, 2013

Wildbegonia wrote:

Dear Ruth,

I would not have words kind enough to praise your curatorial skills put in practice on your challenges. You take good and fair care of them, because of this (and even if sometimes they hold too numerous entries for my taste) , they are cheer joy to vote on them.

But there is another side to the coin. I can only speak as a voter and for my self, and so like you, I do have a list of Hosts names who, unlike you, do not curate their challenges. They announce a challenge and let it grow like wild fire. They accept cheaters in their challenges, they are cheaters themselves, do not DQ entries which do not comply to the rules (because it does not look good to have one entry only in a challenge, does it?), they accept plagiarism, do not respect their own rules, erase comments on the challenge page (not because they are uncivilized but because they disagree with them), hosts that state serious and questionable rules, hosts who resource to rude, insulting and bulling commentary when faced with their inability to formulate intelligent arguments or constructive criticism. For all this reasons and some others is better to forget, I do not vote in their challenges. Ah! Yes, I forgot one: the fact that I can not vote using my IPad (unless I purchase a browser application which I refuse).

But, not all is lost, I am sure someone out there, at this very moment, is creating another list of members. Members like me, who are participating less and less in the challenges but find a lot of enjoyment and learning in voting. I hope this will cheer you up a bit.

Pease do not quit, some new comers to DP are looking at your work as an example to follow.

-- hide signature --

Yes, and after all that,  some hosts never learn to apologize neither the meaning of it.

-- hide signature --

barb_s
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?

OK Ruth, you've just convinced me to do more!

My next scheduled challenge now has this rule. It was just added specifically because you opened this thread pointing out some regulars that should find the time to vote too. Thanks. We'll see how many I end up DQ'ing.

"RULE 2: No entry allowed unless your profile shows that you have at least 500 votes cast. So, if you want to enter this challenge, check your stats, and do a little voting first. It won't be too hard to get to 500 if you vote on a few open challenges right now."

-- hide signature --

Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
VittoDigital
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
In reply to Wildbegonia, Feb 28, 2013

Wildbegonia wrote:

But, not all is lost, I am sure someone out there, at this very moment, is creating another list of members. Members like me, who are participating less and less in the challenges but find a lot of enjoyment and learning in voting. I hope this will cheer you up a bit.

Than I'd be in that list as, in more than four years, I only entered 54 times and placed 14649 votes

I'm, like you, less and less partecipating/entering, but I'm still enjoying voting.

It's another way to "compete", I guess, and I like when my vote helps a good pic placing well.

Waiting for the too long awaited changes promised by DPR's staff, I'll go on this way: entering a pic every once in a while and placing votes in the challenges I like.

Btw, I'm still working on my first winning entry (and, with it, the honour to enter and vote in ConanFuji's challenges )

Cheers

Vitto

-- hide signature --

Lol, I need an upgrade, my Nikon D6x is a too limited gear!

CG33
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
In reply to barb_s, Feb 28, 2013

Barb, I would like to add to your list the name of HOSTS that beg for people to vote in their challenges but at the same time they do not vote on others. I will look for the name of these ones and upload them here when I find them.

Cheers!

Molarjung
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to barb_s, Feb 28, 2013

I'm frightened, I'm scared, I'm panic-stricken! I find my name on a list of The 10 top DPR wanted criminals, I was spied on, I'm trialed and convicted in public!

Democracy has been abolished, dictatorship is being established, draconian disqualification rules are being put into action, the end to freedom of choice has come...

And it is all about voting or not voting? Isn't it over the edge? Is it worth it?

-- hide signature --

Moshe Ravid

barb_s
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
In reply to Molarjung, Feb 28, 2013

Wait... You are free to enter or ignore any challenge you want based on whatever crazy rules the hosts put in, right? There's plenty of criteria for entries from forcing titles and descriptions, to borders, to voting, to commenting, to writing poetry, post processing, using a particular camera, using a technique, to no rules at all. Allowing those who vote to enter is similar to restricting entry to those who have a win somewhere under their belt.  It's just another twist.

Besides, the challenges would be boring if there was no dialog here, no new ideas, no conflicts, or no host preferences  injected in the rule sets.

BTW, this is not a new rule for me. My series, "Voter awareness", started in 2011 is described this way, so it fits with Ruth's thoughts:

"I am hoping to encourage people who enter challenges to do some extra voting. The number of votes per challenge is low. This series will have varied topics. So, if you want to enter, and you haven't voted much, please take some time, and do some voting on some of the open challenges"

-- hide signature --

Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
RuthC
Like?
In reply to Molarjung, Mar 1, 2013

Molarjung wrote:

I'm frightened, I'm scared, I'm panic-stricken! I find my name on a list of The 10 top DPR wanted criminals, I was spied on, I'm trialed and convicted in public!

Democracy has been abolished, dictatorship is being established, draconian disqualification rules are being put into action, the end to freedom of choice has come...

And it is all about voting or not voting? Isn't it over the edge? Is it worth it?

-- hide signature --

Moshe Ravid

Molarjung,

I'm sorry if you are having a panic-attack, and are now hiding under your bed....

These challenges are presented to all of us as DPR members, for our enjoyment, and maybe to learn something about the art of photography. You yourself asked questions of other members recently about how to improve your scoring rate, and you received some very helpful replies. (They freely gave their time and expertise to you.)

If every member felt as you do, "I can't be bothered voting," "I don't think my vote will make a difference," "I don't feel competent to judge other entries," "let someone else do the hard work for me" then your entries would get NO VOTES at all. That, Molarjung, would be the reality.

There has to be give as well as take. The Challenges website is based on cooperation and participation by ALL members, and right now it is struggling to survive, it seems to me, because there are more takers than givers.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Ruth

CG33
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
In reply to RuthC, Mar 1, 2013

It is easy. "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself."

You like people to vote on your images, then vote on theirs.

Harveydad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638
Like?

Ruth, you might consider adding me to that list.  Although I have voted many times in the past, I recently stopped voting. I have found that the way the voting is now done requires too much time if you try to be fair and impartial, and evaluate each and every entry.  The number of challenges and the number of entrants requires at least a minute or two or even more in most cases to make fair comparisons, each entry against every other.  I have felt for some time that it might be easier for the Host to select the top entries which he/she feels meet the rules and merit recognition, and do away with voting by everybody on everything.   There are no prizes or money involved. Just one guy's rant.

-- hide signature --

POGO was right !

RuthC
Like?
In reply to Harveydad, Mar 1, 2013

Harveydad wrote:

Ruth, you might consider adding me to that list. Although I have voted many times in the past, I recently stopped voting. I have found that the way the voting is now done requires too much time if you try to be fair and impartial, and evaluate each and every entry. The number of challenges and the number of entrants requires at least a minute or two or even more in most cases to make fair comparisons, each entry against every other. I have felt for some time that it might be easier for the Host to select the top entries which he/she feels meet the rules and merit recognition, and do away with voting by everybody on everything. There are no prizes or money involved. Just one guy's rant.

-- hide signature --

POGO was right !

Hi Harveydad,

If I, as Host, were given the dubious task each week of selecting the top places in my challenges, then not surprisingly, I'd always choose my favourite photographers' entries! And do you want me also to select places for the rest of the hundred entries, including the poor souls landing in last spot?

There would be howls of derision from everyone if I was given this task of being judge and jury. I see myself as a facilitator, NOT a judge.  I certainly don't have the expertise and vast knowledge that many members have, and I'm very happy to leave the voting in their hands. (I just wish a few more members would participate in the voting.)

BTW, your voting track record is excellent, with over 8,000 votes recorded.

Ruth

ConanFuji
Like?
In reply to Harveydad, Mar 1, 2013

Harveydad wrote:

Ruth, you might consider adding me to that list. Although I have voted many times in the past, I recently stopped voting. I have found that the way the voting is now done requires too much time if you try to be fair and impartial, and evaluate each and every entry. The number of challenges and the number of entrants requires at least a minute or two or even more in most cases to make fair comparisons, each entry against every other. I have felt for some time that it might be easier for the Host to select the top entries which he/she feels meet the rules and merit recognition, and do away with voting by everybody on everything. There are no prizes or money involved. Just one guy's rant.

-- hide signature --

POGO was right !

Ruth had voted 90,000+ times.

If she takes 20 seconds to vote on one, that's 1.8 million seconds...or 500 hours (20.8 days).

If someone doesn't wanna spend 21 days of their lives on voting, I think they have a point.

However it's still up to Ruth to mould her rules as she sees fit.

If Harveydad was to vote 90,000 times, and if he uses 120 secs instead of 20 secs, he'd used up 126 days of his life.  If he spends 12 hours of waking hours a day on voting, he'd have to devote 252 days of his life to be on par with Ruth.

I believe that's a lot to ask for....but then again, not everyone can be Ruth.

RuthC
Like?
In reply to ConanFuji, Mar 1, 2013

For which everyone else will probably be very grateful!

ConanFuji
Like?
In reply to barb_s, Mar 1, 2013

barb_s wrote:

My next scheduled challenge now has this rule. It was just added specifically because you opened this thread pointing out some regulars that should find the time to vote too. Thanks. We'll see how many I end up DQ'ing.

"RULE 2: No entry allowed unless your profile shows that you have at least 500 votes cast. So, if you want to enter this challenge, check your stats, and do a little voting first. It won't be too hard to get to 500 if you vote on a few open challenges right now."

-- hide signature --

Barb

Awwwwwwwwww Barb...

I just gave you a thumbs up, even though I don't really agree with you.

My index finger just moved by itself and left clicked on the mouse... as if body was suddenly separated from thought.

I wonder if it's because of your captivating avatar....

Tony Tomlin
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
In reply to barb_s, Mar 1, 2013

barb_s wrote:

-- hide signature --

Barb

I believe that was a common rule a few years ago and one with which I agree.

I also think limited entries will garner more voters; trying to fairly assess 200 hundred shots takes too long.

-- hide signature --
Molarjung
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?

Dear RuthC,

OKAY, I'm serious now. What made me jump and respond as I did was the fact that the list of the "Top 10 Free Riders" (as you called them) was announced in the forum as a public accusation, as if a crime has been committed, hinting that these top ten (and possibly many others) should somehow be sanctioned.

I think there are many other ways of raising Your valid point about the Obligation or the Right to vote or not to vote. Don't You think so?

Best Regards, Moshe Ravid.

-- hide signature --

Moshe Ravid

RuthC
Like?
In reply to Molarjung, Mar 1, 2013

Molarjung wrote:

Dear RuthC,

OKAY, I'm serious now. What made me jump and respond as I did was the fact that the list of the "Top 10 Free Riders" (as you called them) was announced in the forum as a public accusation, as if a crime has been committed, hinting that these top ten (and possibly many others) should somehow be sanctioned.

I think there are many other ways of raising Your valid point about the Obligation or the Right to vote or not to vote. Don't You think so?

Best Regards, Moshe Ravid.

-- hide signature --

Moshe Ravid

Hi Molarjung,

First if you re-read my original thread, I make an OBSERVATION about a number of entrants. I make NO accusations.

Second, please tell me HOW I can get the message across to you, and every other challenge entrant, to participate in the voting process. Sandbagging and vote manipulation is a very real problem, I believe, for every (caring) host, yet DPR doesn't give us any tools to deal with it, so we have to rely on honest members to increase the voting numbers, to counteract these unethical votes.

Yes, I know, I know, voting isn't compulsory, as has been pointed out to me countless times; but what else can be done? You tell me!

Ruth

Wildbegonia
Like?
In reply to Tony Tomlin, Mar 1, 2013

Tony Tomlin wrote:

barb_s wrote:

-- hide signature --

Barb

I believe that was a common rule a few years ago and one with which I agree.

I also think limited entries will garner more voters; trying to fairly assess 200 hundred shots takes too long.

-- hide signature --

I would not like to see voting as obligatory, but the "Rule 2" does seem a good compromise.

I do agree with you too that limited entries will also attract more voters who take their task at heart and want to give fair assessment to each and every  entry.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads