Sony NEX-7n Rumored for April

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions
Big Kahuna 1000
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Sony NEX-7n Rumored for April
Feb 27, 2013

An updated version of the NEX-7, the NEX-7n ,  may be available in April.

Possible changes:

"The specs of course cannot be confirmed at the moment, but according to the tip, the NEX-7n will feature a 24MP camera with phase detection pixels on its sensor. This will be a new sensor and will not be the same one on the NEX-7. Apparently the internal circuitry has also been redesign and supposedly solves the overheating problem."

nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,035Gear list
Like?
Bring it on
In reply to Big Kahuna 1000, Feb 27, 2013

Big Kahuna 1000 wrote:

An updated version of the NEX-7, the NEX-7n , may be available in April.

Possible changes:

"The specs of course cannot be confirmed at the moment, but according to the tip, the NEX-7n will feature a 24MP camera with phase detection pixels on its sensor. This will be a new sensor and will not be the same one on the NEX-7. Apparently the internal circuitry has also been redesign and supposedly solves the overheating problem."

That sounds good to me. It means we can get a discounted std NEX-7 real cheap. I need another one, so bring it on

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,551Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-7n Rumored for April

SAR covered this the other day. Something mentioned on SAR was, "One source told me the new sensor delivers 1/3 of a stop better quality."

I am not sure 1/3 of a stop better performance is enough for me to hop on the 7N bandwagon. I'll wait and see, but 1/3 doesn't excite me since I shoot so much in lower light.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton OnePlus One +2 more
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,306Gear list
Like?

Big Kahuna 1000 wrote:

Possible changes:

I would also think / hope that Sony would add a fully articulated touch screen LCD with a properly sorted out WiFi system, and totally revamped menu system to this top of the line camera.

I'd also like to see Sony introduce a really first class "everyday" zoom lens with this new camera. Something like a 16-105 mm collapsible PZ type of lens built to G series spec.'s.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
James A.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?
Give me a killer AF system
In reply to Ray Maines, Feb 27, 2013

I would buy the NEX 7n instantly if the Sony designed a killer AF system in it. I want something as good as the A99 or A77 AF system.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,694Gear list
Like?

SAR: "There will be no big changes on the NEX-7n camera shape."

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Samsung NX1000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +10 more
creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
Re: Give me a killer AF system
In reply to James A., Feb 27, 2013

James A. wrote:

I would buy the NEX 7n instantly if the Sony designed a killer AF system in it. I want something as good as the A99 or A77 AF system.

+1 I agree. I sure hope it will be available before the end of the year. I will trade up my Nex-7.

jvideographer
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Feb 28, 2013

I'm really hoping that Sony will start including a GPS system in their cameras, or at least provide a port for an external unit.

-- hide signature --

JC

jvideographer's gear list:jvideographer's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,652Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Feb 28, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

SAR covered this the other day. Something mentioned on SAR was, "One source told me the new sensor delivers 1/3 of a stop better quality."

I am not sure 1/3 of a stop better performance is enough for me to hop on the 7N bandwagon. I'll wait and see, but 1/3 doesn't excite me since I shoot so much in lower light.

Yeah, 1/3 stop of light does nothing for me, I'll be waiting for the FF 9 for the reduced noise at all ISO's that the larger sensor brings, I'm happy enough with my 7's response right now that I can wait a year.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
relate2
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
In reply to jvideographer, Feb 28, 2013

Not interested if the pdaf focusing system is the same as the NEX- and 1/3 better dynamic range, no big deal. I will be waiting for the NEX-8 or 9.

My Nex-7 is doing just fine at the moment. Good news though for cheap NEX-7's

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
In reply to relate2, Feb 28, 2013

I'll wait and see what rangefinder wides cause color shift first. 7N is unexciting until then.

alvie
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
In reply to Big Kahuna 1000, Feb 28, 2013

This sounds like a design flaw in the sensor.  Will Sony replace all NEX-7 with this flaw for free?

nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,035Gear list
Like?
What design flaw ??
In reply to alvie, Feb 28, 2013

alvie wrote:

This sounds like a design flaw in the sensor. Will Sony replace all NEX-7 with this flaw for free?

Wheres the design flaw ?? They won't be getting my 7 off me to replace anything thanks LOL.

I don't think adding PDAF to a new sensor is a design flaw for the NEX-7

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,249Gear list
Like?
Re: What design flaw ??
In reply to nzmacro, Feb 28, 2013

I am hoping for a new and conventional menu system. The NEX menus are so lame....

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to jvideographer, Feb 28, 2013

John Clouse wrote:

I'm really hoping that Sony will start including a GPS system in their cameras, or at least provide a port for an external unit.

The new Multi-Inteface Hosthoe in NEX-6 and almost certainly in NEX-7 has pin out for GPS interface.

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to LSHorwitz1, Feb 28, 2013

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

I am hoping for a new and conventional menu system. The NEX menus are so lame....

With Quick Navi, you don't need to use the menu system most of the time!

academytim
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Feb 28, 2013

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

With Quick Navi, you don't need to use the menu system most of the time!

This. I hardly EVER go into the menu. After setting all of my custom buttons to my liking I hardly ever have the need.

academytim's gear list:academytim's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Maines, Feb 28, 2013

Ray Maines wrote:

Big Kahuna 1000 wrote:

Possible changes:

I would also think / hope that Sony would add a fully articulated touch screen LCD with a properly sorted out WiFi system, and totally revamped menu system to this top of the line camera.

I'd also like to see Sony introduce a really first class "everyday" zoom lens with this new camera. Something like a 16-105 mm collapsible PZ type of lens built to G series spec.'s.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

What you described would be my perfect NEX camera and lens.

Therefore it won't happen.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Zamac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215Gear list
Like?
In reply to Big Kahuna 1000, Feb 28, 2013

Big Kahuna 1000 wrote:

Possible changes:

Personally, I hope the changes are minimal so I do not have the agony of deciding whether to upgrade or not, and the expense if I do decide to upgrade.

The NEX-7 really is a nice little camera and works very well for my needs. But, the user interface!

This has all been discussed before, so free free to skip to the next post.

In upgrading the NEX design for the more advanced user, but the menu system is still strictly on the P&S design (not not even the best for that).

• Why no custom modes? Only an overly restrictive individual button customization.
  • Why no button to toggle (or cycle) between still and video playback. There are several unused buttons in playback.
  • Why is macro a scene and not a mode? Doesn't even tell one what metering mode is used, let alone allow you to set it. Macro only affects, focus - other parameters should be settable.
  • Anti-motion blur is a mode, but hand held twilight is a scene type. There is some rationale behind this, but rather dubious to me.

Sony needs to rethink the NEX-7 menu design and button usage from the point of the more advanced user who is more impressed by speed and ease of operation rather than pretty menu pictures!

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,652Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zamac, Feb 28, 2013

Big Kahuna 1000 wrote:

Possible changes:

Personally, I hope the changes are minimal so I do not have the agony of deciding whether to upgrade or not, and the expense if I do decide to upgrade.

The NEX-7 really is a nice little camera and works very well for my needs. But, the user interface!

This has all been discussed before, so free free to skip to the next post.

In upgrading the NEX design for the more advanced user, but the menu system is still strictly on the P&S design (not not even the best for that).

• Why no custom modes? Only an overly restrictive individual button customization.
  • Why no button to toggle (or cycle) between still and video playback. There are several unused buttons in playback.
  • Why is macro a scene and not a mode? Doesn't even tell one what metering mode is used, let alone allow you to set it. Macro only affects, focus - other parameters should be settable.
  • Anti-motion blur is a mode, but hand held twilight is a scene type. There is some rationale behind this, but rather dubious to me.

Sony needs to rethink the NEX-7 menu design and button usage from the point of the more advanced user who is more impressed by speed and ease of operation rather than pretty menu pictures!

Yes, yes , yes, and.....
Exposure bracketing separated from remote and self timer.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads