SX50...not "the" camera?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?
Re: SX50...not "the" camera?
In reply to dzyg, Feb 28, 2013

dzyg wrote:

Thanks Murry...I don't have AF on cause it seemed to take longer to focus this way

So you were manual focusing since you didn't have AF on?

In the end the SX50 is still a compact digicam even though it is larger in size.  It just have a superzoom lens which in itself is a compromise in performance and results.  If you want high quality consider a T4i and 55-250 IS lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
glenncombs
Senior MemberPosts: 2,053
Like?
In reply to dzyg, Mar 2, 2013

dzyg,

I've suffered with your problem for many years, photographing dogs.  They are very difficult subjects, even with good cameras.  My experience is much less than 50% keepers; more like 10-20% keepers.  But, you may do better, if you'll use higher ISO settings, permitting faster shutter speeds, even in good lighting that you mentioned that you typically have.  Higher shutter speed is always in your favor on fast moving subjects, like dogs.  So, of course the higher ISO will affect image quality a bit.  (More noise, certainly)  You can just use some noise reduction in post processing of those keeper shots.

A move to dlsr equipment works for some people, at the expense of hauling around a bigger camera, and the assortment of lenses.  Not for me, anymore, with all of the good compacts.  (All cameras have their limitations)

Try the higher ISO settings to get the shutter speed up, and use some noise reduction software, like Neat Image, or whatever you might prefer.

Glenn

-- hide signature --

Canon S2, SD880, SD4000, G1 X

dzyg
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Mar 2, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

dzyg wrote:

Thanks Murry...I don't have AF on cause it seemed to take longer to focus this way

So you were manual focusing since you didn't have AF on?

In the end the SX50 is still a compact digicam even though it is larger in size. It just have a superzoom lens which in itself is a compromise in performance and results. If you want high quality consider a T4i and 55-250 IS lens.

No I was not in manual mode but turned continuous AF off, so it was basically shoot only focus instead of continuous focusing.

dzyg
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to glenncombs, Mar 2, 2013

glenncombs wrote:

dzyg,

I've suffered with your problem for many years, photographing dogs. They are very difficult subjects, even with good cameras. My experience is much less than 50% keepers; more like 10-20% keepers. But, you may do better, if you'll use higher ISO settings, permitting faster shutter speeds, even in good lighting that you mentioned that you typically have. Higher shutter speed is always in your favor on fast moving subjects, like dogs. So, of course the higher ISO will affect image quality a bit. (More noise, certainly) You can just use some noise reduction in post processing of those keeper shots.

A move to dlsr equipment works for some people, at the expense of hauling around a bigger camera, and the assortment of lenses. Not for me, anymore, with all of the good compacts. (All cameras have their limitations)

Try the higher ISO settings to get the shutter speed up, and use some noise reduction software, like Neat Image, or whatever you might prefer.

Glenn

-- hide signature --

Thank you for your suggestion...will try that today. I took some shots yesterday and wasn't real impressed..but I left the ISO lower...

lkk324
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
In reply to dzyg, Mar 2, 2013

dzyg wrote:

glenncombs wrote:

dzyg,

I've suffered with your problem for many years, photographing dogs. They are very difficult subjects, even with good cameras. My experience is much less than 50% keepers; more like 10-20% keepers. But, you may do better, if you'll use higher ISO settings, permitting faster shutter speeds, even in good lighting that you mentioned that you typically have. Higher shutter speed is always in your favor on fast moving subjects, like dogs. So, of course the higher ISO will affect image quality a bit. (More noise, certainly) You can just use some noise reduction in post processing of those keeper shots.

A move to dlsr equipment works for some people, at the expense of hauling around a bigger camera, and the assortment of lenses. Not for me, anymore, with all of the good compacts. (All cameras have their limitations)

Glenn

-- hide signature --

Thank you for your suggestion...will try that today. I took some shots yesterday and wasn't real impressed..but I left the ISO lower...

Post if you have any luck! What shutter speed have you been using? I will tell you that it is definitely hard to catch the dog action. I have even been having issues getting good ones with my dslr so don't fret just yet!!! I hope you have some luck! Can't wait to see some pics.

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads