MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914Gear list
Like?
MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
Feb 27, 2013

MX-1 — World's best value compact

An interesting new, detailed video review and a comparison with Sony RX100. According to my countryman Blunty, there's little doubt that MX-1 is the world's best value for $$ compact.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

 Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Pentax MX-1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 736Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Feb 27, 2013

I'm a fan of Blunty's reviews. He doesn't pull any punches and seems pretty honest when talking about what he likes in his cameras. I'm not sure how objective he is; from the reviews I've seen, he seems to have a soft spot for Sony, Nikon, Pentax and maybe even Apple. Pretty much any camera he likes gets his appreciation.

In any case he certainly does like it the MX-1. He gives it his bang-for-the-buck choice over the sony rx100 which he apparently loves "to bits."

The lens seems to be a huge plus for this camera, being fast at the long end as well as the short, and transitioning in and out of macro without any necessary button pushing (even in video).

He also gushes about he build and the tilting LCD, as well as a well laid out menu on said screen.

It looks like a great camera, and maybe I'll pick one up, or its next iteration, when or if my GRDIV ever dies on me. In the meantime, though, I think I'll be satisfied with feeling one up at Yodobashi tomorrow on my way home from work.

 citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KingDon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131
Like?
Re: MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Feb 27, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

MX-1 — World's best value compact

An interesting new, detailed video review and a comparison with Sony RX100. According to my countryman Blunty, there's little doubt that MX-1 is the world's best value for $$ compact.

I find it interesting that you are citing a video that is claiming tiltable LCD as a big plus, but just yesterday you won't admit that non tiltable LCD on K01 was a big negative.

RX100 is universally regarded as the best pocket camera mainly due to image quality and sensor size in a pocket size camera, like here by IR chosen as compact camera of the year:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/02/25/imaging-resource-camera-of-the-year-awards-2012

MX-1 has not yet been reviewed by any major review site, but it's in a different (non-pocketable) high-end category. It's competing against cameras like Samsung EX2, Panasonic LX-7, Olympus XZ-2, Fujfilm X20. These are all very good cameras, and without a proper review it's hard to say in what way MX-1 is better than these cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,040Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
In reply to KingDon, Feb 27, 2013

KingDon wrote:
MX-1 has not yet been reviewed by any major review site, but it's in a different (non-pocketable) high-end category. It's competing against cameras like Samsung EX2, Panasonic LX-7, Olympus XZ-2, Fujfilm X20. These are all very good cameras, and without a proper review it's hard to say in what way MX-1 is better than these cameras.

I have an Oly XZ-1 and I believe the MX-1 (and XZ-2) use the same lens. In which case they'll have a good start. The IQ of my XZ-1 is good enough, but the menu system and general handling are total pants. I do wish reviewers would place more emphasis on usability, so kudos to Blunty.

The Pentax UI and better handling of the MX-1 are very appealing - but the slow RAW processing could be a deal breaker.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Feb 27, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

MX-1 — World's best value compact

An interesting new, detailed video review and a comparison with Sony RX100. According to my countryman Blunty, there's little doubt that MX-1 is the world's best value for $$ compact.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Hi Zvonimir,

Yes, the MX1 looks very good,check out the "utube camera store video Pentax MX1" you can use that as link,Chris Nicols likes it too. Doesn't quite live up yo your claim that it's IQ matches that of the K01 though!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

 DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photocat2007
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
In reply to Model Mike, Feb 28, 2013

Model Mike wrote:

KingDon wrote:
MX-1 has not yet been reviewed by any major review site, but it's in a different (non-pocketable) high-end category. It's competing against cameras like Samsung EX2, Panasonic LX-7, Olympus XZ-2, Fujfilm X20. These are all very good cameras, and without a proper review it's hard to say in what way MX-1 is better than these cameras.

I have an Oly XZ-1 and I believe the MX-1 (and XZ-2) use the same lens. In which case they'll have a good start. The IQ of my XZ-1 is good enough, but the menu system and general handling are total pants. I do wish reviewers would place more emphasis on usability, so kudos to Blunty.

The Pentax UI and better handling of the MX-1 are very appealing - but the slow RAW processing could be a deal breaker.

-- hide signature --

I have posted about the MX-1 in the Pentax compact forum here and at pentaxforums site and agree whole-heartedly about the need to emphasize on usability. I am a Pentax girl (K100D, K200D, and now the K5 and MX-1)

About 20 months ago I bought the Oly XZ-1. Great images but the menu system and "usability" were horrible. I suppose if it were my main / only camera used daily, I would have learned and remembered it but that just never happened. Consequently I left it in auto mode most of the time b/c trying to manipulate it took too long.

A day after my MX-1 arrived, the Oly XZ-1 died completely on me. First camera I've ever had die on me. Reviewers don't report on lifespan much either and while I know that can happen with any camera, it is frustrating when an "enthusiast" camera doesn't make it 2 years (with light use).

As I've mentioned in other posts, I never buy any electronic when it first comes out. The MX-1 was the exception and I'm beyond thrilled with it. It is an awesome little camera. Is it perfect? Of course not, we can all find fault in all cameras. The size and weight are really nice and very well balanced - not brick-like at all in my opinion. Feels much better than the XZ-1 ever did. The menus, dials, buttons - a dream. I can easily change settings and it is so much easier to remember than the Oly. I would have chalked that up to my Pentax heritage but I've seen others comment about Oly's awful menus so perhaps it isn't just me.

At a minimum, it is definitely worth a try and for me, it is definitely a keeper (and hope it lasts far longer than the 20 months of my last compact!)

sue

 photocat2007's gear list:photocat2007's gear list
Pentax K-5 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914Gear list
Like?
Easy to fix
In reply to Model Mike, Feb 28, 2013

Model Mike wrote:

The Pentax UI and better handling of the MX-1 are very appealing - but the slow RAW processing could be a deal breaker.

Nothing a first firmware update cannot fix. To me, that's last thing to worry about.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

 Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914Gear list
Like?
I see K-01 as a stop gap measure
In reply to KingDon, Feb 28, 2013

KingDon wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

MX-1 — World's best value compact

An interesting new, detailed video review and a comparison with Sony RX100. According to my countryman Blunty, there's little doubt that MX-1 is the world's best value for $$ compact.

I find it interesting that you are citing a video that is claiming tiltable LCD as a big plus, but just yesterday you won't admit that non tiltable LCD on K01 was a big negative.

I never believed K-01 was a serious enough, well-thought out product to start a whole new line.
However, I thought it was a worthy experiment though, not without merits and with a certain good value overall. It was a calculated move, well played too. 
I could go in details about it, but in short, I see the K-01 was something like the K-5 II — a stop gap measure. Both cameras were releases, or ideas, that buy some valuable time to the company. Such products keep the company on the radar of public interest, and keep people talking about them. Even bad publicity is better than no publicity at all! But if they bring in some controversy, even better!

Because 6 months before K-01 was launched, Ricoh acquired Pentax officially, and Ricoh have brought their own mirrorless solution into the new company. Both companies had to put minds together, consolidate which way to go. To make a whole new and comprehensive mirorless line — and not disturb DSLR line — value all risks about it, etc. takes so much more time. So K-01 was a quick half-answer to the market who wanted to know how Pentax (now Pentax Ricoh Imaging) responds to mirrorless. As such it was a smart, quick answer, that surely bought company one year of R&D. To make it advertise the name of Pentax, they've hired a top designer in the game too, to compensate in all areas where camera lacks because there was never any overly serious development about it.

PS. Tilting screen would make K-01 even thicker, so I don't know how would that work.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

 Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BluntNate
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
In reply to citrontokyo, Feb 28, 2013

citrontokyo wrote:

I'm a fan of Blunty's reviews. He doesn't pull any punches and seems pretty honest when talking about what he likes in his cameras. I'm not sure how objective he is; from the reviews I've seen, he seems to have a soft spot for Sony, Nikon, Pentax and maybe even Apple. Pretty much any camera he likes gets his appreciation.

I'm only a relatively infrequent lurker in these here forums... so I'm not going to "interfere" with ongoing discussions...

But just to your questioning of my objectivity and "Pretty much any camera he likes gets his appreciation." (I'll ignore the recursive, circular illogic of that statement );

Some of my 'peers' either try to cram their vids with forced humour, and/or love being intentionally snarky in their "reviews" as it encourages lots of arguing, and arguing means more comments...

I tend only to bother producing video reviews on gear that I'm actually passionate about, and am happy to recommend. In this way I hope my vids are more USEFUL and practical to people actually trying to make buying decisions. (as opposed to trying to be entertaining first, informative second as some other youtube based camera reviews seem to, rather irritatingly, increasingly be about)

It's for this reason that 95% of the time if you see a camera review from me, it's something that I see worth in. This is why you're getting the impression I love everything I get my hands on.

And It's got nothing to do with which brand it comes form... my personal collection of camera gear spreads over pretty much every major brand there is.

I've a general "no bulls#!t" policy... if I dig something I'll tell you why, if something bugs me about a product, I'll also tell you why.

All that out of the way. Thrilled some of you enjoyed the review and found it useful (even for those of you it's just reinforcing your already made purchasing decision )

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 736Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
In reply to BluntNate, Feb 28, 2013

BluntNate wrote:

citrontokyo wrote:

I'm a fan of Blunty's reviews. He doesn't pull any punches and seems pretty honest when talking about what he likes in his cameras. I'm not sure how objective he is; from the reviews I've seen, he seems to have a soft spot for Sony, Nikon, Pentax and maybe even Apple. Pretty much any camera he likes gets his appreciation.

I'm only a relatively infrequent lurker in these here forums... so I'm not going to "interfere" with ongoing discussions...

But just to your questioning of my objectivity and "Pretty much any camera he likes gets his appreciation." (I'll ignore the recursive, circular illogic of that statement );

Hah! Glad you understand my "logic." It's just that all reviewers inevitably get nailed for their fairness and  I thought that this was the best way to explain your particular form of bias.

Anyway Blunty, please keep the videos coming.

 citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads