MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?
MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
Feb 27, 2013

MX-1 — World's best value compact

MX-1 — New video review and a comparison with RX100.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Pentax MX-1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
Wrong Comparison. The MX-1 Given Its Size, Weight and Price Should Be Compared To the Canon G 15
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Feb 27, 2013

Nikon P 7700,  Panasonic LX .

To put the non pocketable larger sensor Sony RX 100 I against a camera that is not pocketable and has a much smaller sensor is comparing two cameras that do not compete.

Silly comparison. Wrong comparison.

All of the cameras that do compete have a hot shoe Etc...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong Comparison. The MX-1 Given Its Size, Weight and Price Should Be Compared To the Canon G 15
In reply to jimr, Feb 27, 2013

jimr wrote:

Nikon P 7700, Panasonic LX .

To put the non pocketable larger sensor Sony RX 100 I against a camera that is not pocketable and has a much smaller sensor is comparing two cameras that do not compete.

Blunty's MX-1 video review isn't doing a straight one-on-one comparison with the RX100 but since ANY compact review has to answer the question "why should I buy this over an RX100", he attempts to show exactly why there are compelling reasons to prefer an MX-1.

And having owned the RX100, I happen to agree with him 100%.

I keep reading people talk about hot-shoes on compacts, but I have yet to find a photographer who spends a lot of time mounting a full-sized SB800 or YN-565 on a compact.  That's what we have DSLRs for.  Compacts are usually meant to be, well, compact shooters for photography on the go.

And you keep talking up the G15, and LX7, neither of which have the killer feature that the MX-1 DOES have:  an articulated LCD.  That feature alone, coupled with the MX-1's better detail and sharpness as you increase ISOs vs the G15, is enough to make the MX-1 a much more compelling camera in my view.  The Canon G-series cameras have been much loved over the years in part because they featured an articulated LCD.  So when Canon removed it from the G15, it was a step backwards, IMHO.

The usefulness of an articulated LCD cannot be overstated as it's a terrific tool for getting unusual angles and creative compositions without having to physically get down on the ground.   The hot-shoe may matter for some, but even then, it's not something that you'd use day in and day out like the LCD.

Aside from the RX100, and strictly on IQ, the Nikon P7700 may be the class of the bunch (see DxOMark review and tests) is tough to beat but as and all-around shooter I'd have to give strong advantage to the MX-1 for the LCD, way cool retro design, and fantastic Quick Menu (similar to the K-30, K-5 and Q).

Extremely well done review. Entertaining and informative.

Regards and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong Comparison. The MX-1 Given Its Size, Weight and Price Should Be Compared To the Canon G 15

jimr wrote:

You do rather repeat yourself and seem to make a point of posting against the MX-1 at every opportunity. If a hot shoe is so important why such great interest in the MX-1? I reckon you want one more than you dare admit. Methinks you protest too much.

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?
In reply to marike6, Feb 27, 2013

marike6 wrote:

jimr wrote:

Blunty's MX-1 video review isn't doing a straight one-on-one comparison with the RX100 but since ANY compact review has to answer the question "why should I buy this over an RX100", he attempts to show exactly why there are compelling reasons to prefer an MX-1.

I keep reading people talk about hot-shoes on compacts, but I have yet to find a photographer who spends a lot of time mounting a full-sized SB800 or YN-565 on a compact. That's what we have DSLRs for. Compacts are usually meant to be, well, compact shooters for photography on the go.

I don't think it will matter to most, and you are right, there is no reason to mount a full size flash on one.

The reason you want a hot shoe on a compact is so you can put a wireless trigger on it and use it to fire studio strobes. In situations where you can control the light it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between an image from a compact and one from an SLR. The larger sensor image will likely be better, but this is a point where the compact might be good enough.

This image was taken with my Q and 8.5mm f/1.9, at 1.9 with Cactus V2 wireless trigger and Alien Bees B400 strobe and beauty dish with the sock on it. It is resized down, but even at the pixel level quite sharp. I couldn't easily get this shot with the MX1 because it has no hot shoe.  I also had the ND filter on, even at minimum power on the flash, ISO 125, the flash was too powerful at f/1.9.  It was perfect with the ND filter built into the lens.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,445Gear list
Like?
No flash hot-shoe on MX1!?!?

I don't understand why...

Fortunately there is one on the Q!

P-ttl even works better than on the K5 in diffused & bounced mode!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
Without Comparing To The Real Competition How Can He Say.." Worlds Best Value Compact?"
In reply to miles green, Feb 27, 2013

So he compares to a different size and sensor class camera and avoids all of the the real competition and concludes....."Best Value Compact". Yup.... :}

So value he determined by the following untrue statement...

At 16:53 he says "$800 vs. $400"....What? At that price difference slam dunk ...comparing those two I understand.

But the RX 100 is not twice the price of the MX-1. Check...

How about comparing the price of the LX 7 at $299 et.al...?

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?
Re: No flash hot-shoe on MX1!?!?
In reply to miles green, Feb 27, 2013

miles green wrote:

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Lol, great shot.  That gave me a good laugh.  That is how NOT to use a hot shoe on a compact.  It would probably be easier to support the camera by holding the flash

Eric

-- hide signature --

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
miles green
Like?
Re: Without Comparing To The Real Competition How Can He Say.." Worlds Best Value Compact?"

jimr wrote:

So he compares to a different size and sensor class camera and avoids all of the the real competition and concludes....."Best Value Compact". Yup.... :}

So value he determined by the following untrue statement...

At 16:53 he says "$800 vs. $400"....What? At that price difference slam dunk ...comparing those two I understand.

But the RX 100 is not twice the price of the MX-1. Check...

How about comparing the price of the LX 7 at $299 et.al...?

I guess those are the prices down under?

The "class" is hard to define... Classic look, dslr-like button layout, tilting screen, fast 4x zoom, macro mode, the sensor size, fits in a jacket pocket, and brass plates and price bracket... Nothing else has exactly the same features. It comes down to a question of taste really...

But the lack of hot shoe on a p&s is really a non issue for my taste. The LX7 looks like a nice camera. It has a hot-shoe and optional evf, but loses the tiltable screen and the "classic" brass plates. The RX100 has a bigger higher resolution sensor but also a much slower lens... It's a question of taste...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
miles green
Like?
In reply to viking79, Feb 27, 2013

viking79 wrote:

miles green wrote:

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Lol, great shot. That gave me a good laugh. That is how NOT to use a hot shoe on a compact. It would probably be easier to support the camera by holding the flash

Indeed it was, lol!

Eric

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225Gear list
Like?

viking79 wrote:

Lol, great shot. That gave me a good laugh. That is how NOT to use a hot shoe on a compact. It would probably be easier to support the camera by holding the flash

Yeah, but what the hell.  Sometimes you just have to do it - because you can!

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?

viking79 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

jimr wrote:

I keep reading people talk about hot-shoes on compacts, but I have yet to find a photographer who spends a lot of time mounting a full-sized SB800 or YN-565 on a compact. That's what we have DSLRs for. Compacts are usually meant to be, well, compact shooters for photography on the go.

I don't think it will matter to most, and you are right, there is no reason to mount a full size flash on one.

The reason you want a hot shoe on a compact is so you can put a wireless trigger on it and use it to fire studio strobes. In situations where you can control the light it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between an image from a compact and one from an SLR. The larger sensor image will likely be better, but this is a point where the compact might be good enough.

I totally agree with you Eric, and your point about wireless triggers is a good one.  But you touched on another point in your last sensor and since I'm assuming most people own a DSLR or larger sensor mirrorless, so my feeling why would someone choose to do a studio session with the compact?

I certainly can think of valid uses for a hot-shoe on a compact, wireless triggers, a shotgun mic for video, or even a small strobe.  My point about a compact is that many people use these cameras not as replacements for DSLRs for studio work, but a highly portable street shooters, or for travel photography.

This image was taken with my Q and 8.5mm f/1.9, at 1.9 with Cactus V2 wireless trigger and Alien Bees B400 strobe and beauty dish with the sock on it. It is resized down, but even at the pixel level quite sharp. I couldn't easily get this shot with the MX1 because it has no hot shoe. I also had the ND filter on, even at minimum power on the flash, ISO 125, the flash was too powerful at f/1.9. It was perfect with the ND filter built into the lens.

That is a lovely shot, but I suppose a determined MX-1 user could just fire the flashes with a optical slave using the on camera flash, provided the pre-flash doesn't mess things up.  But obviously your way is a lot easier and efficient.  I suppose if the OP thinks he wants to use one of these compacts in this way, a hot-shoe is a requirement.

By the way, the MX-1 has a built-in ND filter just like the Q, and a whopping 1/8000 max shutter speed.  It's clear from Blunty's review that the MX-1 has much of the same built-in fun that the K-30 and Q have.  I'm a big fan of the quick settings menu something I miss very much about my K-30 who is no longer with me.  

Anyway, great lighting in your image.  I really do have to invest in a beauty dish.  Nice job, good post.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
photocat2007
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Feb 27, 2013

Great video review - thanks for posting!

I cannot comment on the other cameras but as a MX-1 owner, I completely agree with him -- just need more time with my new friend

photocat2007's gear list:photocat2007's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-A1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads