D800 or D4 : Family Vacation

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions
Arvind Balaraman
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
D800 or D4 : Family Vacation
Feb 27, 2013

Will be travelling to Europe in May with family. Primarily shootng citiscapes, architecture and landscape. Wondering ifI should take my D4 or D800?

Inclining to take D800

-- hide signature --

Rgds Arvind Balaraman

Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,824
Like?
You are jesting, aren't you? (n/t)
In reply to Arvind Balaraman, Feb 27, 2013
-- hide signature --

Conrad --------------------------------------------------- Show Low, Arizona

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,370Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 or D4 : Family Vacation

Arvind Balaraman wrote:

Will be travelling to Europe in May with family. Primarily shootng citiscapes, architecture and landscape. Wondering ifI should take my D4 or D800?

Inclining to take D800

-- hide signature --

Rgds Arvind Balaraman

I have taken D4 on family vacations and it works. But that was before I got a D800E. I intend to take the D800E next time, it doesn't really have any major weaknesses for travel type genres, other than I don't like to take mine above ISO 5000.

The tougher decision is what lenses to take. I'd like to get a 24-120 before our next major vacation.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
I would take my GX1

... with the Panasonic 14mm and 14-45mm zoom.

Or... perhaps my NEX-6.

I stopped carrying my DSLR when mirrorless arrived.  Now my D800E is just for the studio.

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,071Gear list
Like?

Similar questions arise fairly frequently, and they always seem to generate a wide range of opinions. It's my personal opinion that the real reason we get so many opinions is that not everybody uses the same criteria to make the judgement.

Before I was married I went out of the country many times carrying a backpack with nothing in it except photographic equipment. I put all my clothing in checked luggage. As I regarded these trips as primarily photographic expeditions this worked very well. I usually had equipment that didn't get used much, but that was ok because the photographs was the entire reason for being there.  If I wanted to muck about with the equipment instead of just enjoying the trip, well, that was my business.

More recently, when traveling with my wife (who also enjoys photography), I limit myself to one body with one lens and prefer to select an example of both that is not bothersome to carry when doing non-photographic activities. I no longer check luggage but now use my backpack as a carryon with my clothing. My trips have become much more about the trip, my relationship with my wife, and the photographs are sorta becoming a sideshow.

On poster on this forum inquired about how much of his equipment collection he should be taking on his honeymoon.  This struck me as perhaps someone who was unclear on the concept, but then I have no details so it's not for me to say.

Many people will express the opinion that taking less than your best equipment on a once in a lifetime trip is unwise, but it seems to me that nobody can provide valid advice on this question as only you can decide exactly where you want to place the emphasis of the trip.

By the way, have a wonderful trip and post pictures when you get home.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

DigitalJay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,429Gear list
Like?

Lots of good advice here, but only you can decide. If I limit the discussion to what the OP stated, either a D4 or D800, my choice would be the D800, no battery grip, and a spare battery.

Lens choice would be the zoom lens with the best range I own, possible even renting if possible.

I have both the 24-70 Nikkor and the 24-85G. The 24-85 wins in the weight dept, hands down!

Ex: I have the D800, the original 24-85G and 70-300VR lenses. That makes a great travel package for CASUAL vacation-type snaps. It doesn't weigh a bunch, and without the grip the D800 is manageable to carry for a long time.

I took the D800/24-85 on a day trip to Kennedy space center and it was no bigger problem to carry than some of the mirrorless cams.

As always, only the individual can decide what is the right choice or choices for them, but if the family vacation is a disguise for a photo trip, then bring only the best, which will also generally be the heaviest.

Either way, enjoy the vacation!!

Jay

DigitalJay's gear list:DigitalJay's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700
TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?

$8,000 worth of cameras and have to ask which one to use?

Joe Porto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?

Arvind Balaraman wrote:

Inclining to take D800

-- hide signature --

Rgds Arvind Balaraman

Last year I went to St. Lucia w/ my family, and lugged a huge backpack w/ D800, D7000, and a bunch of lenses. The only gear that ever left the hotel was the D7000 and kit lens. I've since bought a Canon G15 for family trips and snapshots. It's pocketable, and allows me to enjoy the trip with my family, not be the geek dad photographer.

Granted, if you need anything wider than 24-28mm, or fast super tele, you will need a DSLR. I use my DSLRs for more serious nature photography, but as far as vacation photos, I am amazed what a decent P&S can do.

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
chipmaster
Contributing MemberPosts: 599Gear list
Like?

Arvind Balaraman wrote:

Inclining to take D800

-- hide signature --

Rgds Arvind Balaraman

The tool D4, D800, mirrorless, P&S, or iPhone is just  a tool.  All will return an image, the larger question is what are you after?    Memory of "we" were here, personal satisfaction of taking the best picture you can and peeping later...    or something inbetween.

I go on vacation and family already know I'm coming with a 30lb backup with laptop, two FX bodies and 3 lenses.

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
JohnLux
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
Re: I would take my GX1
In reply to AllMankind, Feb 27, 2013

AllMankind wrote:

Or... perhaps my NEX-6.

I stopped carrying my DSLR when mirrorless arrived. Now my D800E is just for the studio.

I take the D800 + 24-120mm f4 AND the Canon G1X.

JohnLux's gear list:JohnLux's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX55 Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Nikon D70s +8 more
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 743
Like?

no question that for me, it would be a D800.

M35G35
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?

I would tend to agree with most here... take the D800. I have the D800 and 24-120 and it is a great combo.

M35G35's gear list:M35G35's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,680Gear list
Like?

AllMankind wrote:

Or... perhaps my NEX-6.

I stopped carrying my DSLR when mirrorless arrived. Now my D800E is just for the studio.

Ditto.  I carry a bulky SLR less and less often.  It is reserved for photocentric trips and the studio.  On carefree family vacations the OMD is what usually comes along...and then on outings sometimes lighter still.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?

Sony RX1 buying a camera.

-- hide signature --
 Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Weegee
Contributing MemberPosts: 966
Like?
Take the Olympus OM-D
In reply to M35G35, Feb 27, 2013

Not worth carrying that heavy metal hunk. The Olympus can easily do 90% of what the 800 or D4 can do. I know, I've been there for vacation photos.

Digital Click
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Re: Without a doubt ... The D4
In reply to Weegee, Feb 27, 2013

Yet the d800e is superb but on vacation unless you are going to always have time to take each photo I would take the d4. far better in low light... I have yet to see a decent d800 image over 4000 iso. Happy to use my d3s at 6400 and dread using  my d600 at over 2500 iso and that is supposedly better than d800.  If you are always going to shoot in good light then maybe the d800 will be ok.

Whereabouts you going in Europe?  have a nice holiday!

Tan

George Payne Jr
Contributing MemberPosts: 549Gear list
Like?
D800
In reply to Digital Click, Feb 27, 2013

I own both...take the D800!

-- hide signature --

D4, D3s, D3, D800, D700
Nikon 17-35 2.8, 17-55 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRI & VRII
Nikon 28 1.8G, 35 1.4G, 85 1.4G, 50mm 1.8, 105 2.8 VR
4-SB900, SB400, Quantum Trio
Eyes like a shutter, mind like a lens!

George Payne Jr's gear list:George Payne Jr's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
OldDigiman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,936Gear list
Like?
Re: D800
In reply to George Payne Jr, Feb 28, 2013

RX100 and spend some time actually being with your family.  Just sayin....

-- hide signature --

lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 4,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arvind Balaraman, Feb 28, 2013

Take a Canon The PowerShot SX50 & enjoy the good time with your family.

Veni Vidi Capi (I Came, I Saw, I Captured)
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Arvind Balaraman
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
In reply to Arvind Balaraman, Feb 28, 2013

let me clarify my concerns

D800

Pros: better resolution for shooting cityscapes, monuments, landscapes, cheaper (than D4)

Cons: huge file sze = less photos or additional storage to carry, not as good as d4 in low light

D4

Pros: low light capability, smaller file size = more photos

Cons: small resolution, expensive

Hence torn. This is a family vation, but i will get lots f time to shoot photos

-- hide signature --

Rgds Arvind Balaraman

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads