Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ishuffle
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Best light modifier for wind?
Feb 27, 2013

Hi Everyone,

Using a mobile device and couldn't find the search options. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm looking for a soft light modifier than can withstand windy conditions. Have tried using an 60" umbrella outdoors and I can just see it flying away one day.

Any recommendations?

Is the 28" westcott soft box any good?

Thanks

Phil

zanderlane
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Best light modifier for wind?
In reply to ishuffle, Feb 27, 2013
...I like a beauty dish with a diffuser sock on a C-stand with a pillowcase filled with whatever and clipped to the stand:

...with howling wind in the mojave

...with strong wind at the beach.

...same as above.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zanderlane
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to ishuffle, Feb 27, 2013

ishuffle wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Using a mobile device and couldn't find the search options. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm looking for a soft light modifier than can withstand windy conditions. Have tried using an 60" umbrella outdoors and I can just see it flying away one day.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Phil

...also - if you must use a huge soft modifier - use tent pegs and parachute cord to stake your "sail" into the wind just like a tent in windy conditions, tying off to the leading corners of the softbox/brella to share the force of the wind best you can...

z

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 7,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to ishuffle, Feb 28, 2013

ishuffle wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations?

Someone to hold the light diffuser is your best modifier for windy conditions.

It is a good quality 28" softbox, but there are lots of other good quality softboxes in that size range.  Which you use is up to you.

Closed softboxes and closed umbrella softboxes are less likely to sail away than an open umbrella.  Traditional non-umbrella softboxes are more sturdy and less likely to bend a rib in the wind than a umbrella softbox or regular softbox.

Smaller light modifiers present less surface to the wind than larger ones so they are less likely to sail away or be distorted/twisted/destroyed.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
VividExposures
Contributing MemberPosts: 987
Like?
In reply to zanderlane, Mar 1, 2013

Amazed you were able to have the setup in the 3rd photo on a windy beach!

Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
In reply to VividExposures, Mar 1, 2013

If you take a close look, in addition to the pillowcase of sand, the legs of the C-Stand are also buried in the sand. (I always forget that last part).

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 +13 more
ishuffle
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Mar 10, 2013

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Sorry for the delayed response. Trying to balance work, family and passion!

I will look into the options mentioned above and experiment what works for me.

Phil

Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,110Gear list
Like?
In reply to ishuffle, Mar 10, 2013

People make a lot of money off gimmicks. Here is a crazy idea. How about inventing the "Windmill Modifier"? Instead of fighting wind make it work for you. It can even have a generator and charge batteries. OK enough foolishness. Sorry. It is a boring day.

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Dougs_Photo
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
In reply to zanderlane, Mar 10, 2013

The raised hand in the last photo seems to be casting a shadow on the sky background. How is this possable?

Dougs_Photo's gear list:Dougs_Photo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 50D +28 more
dad_of_four
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,548Gear list
Like?
In reply to ishuffle, Mar 14, 2013

I have used these when it is too windy for umbrellas or SB. They don't offer the same level of diffusion, but it is better than scrubbing the shoot.

7" / 18cm Soft White Diffuser Sock for Flash Reflector

dad_of_four's gear list:dad_of_four's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,350
Like?
In reply to Dougs_Photo, Mar 14, 2013

Dougs_Photo wrote:

The raised hand in the last photo seems to be casting a shadow on the sky background. How is this possable?

Its just motion blur from a super slow shutter speed. Look at the outline of everything in that photo, its all blurred.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads