Anyone have the Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar yet?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions
Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 891Gear list
Like?
Anyone have the Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar yet?
Feb 27, 2013

Anyone have the Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar yet or maybe confirmed ship date?

Please let us know what vendor you used.

If you have the lens..share thoughts and samples!

-- hide signature --
 Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,302Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone have the Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar yet?
In reply to Mssimo, Feb 27, 2013

Never thought I'd see the day but Lloyd Chambers has done an 'unboxing video'!

http://www.diglloyd.com/blog/2013/20130226_3-Zeiss-135f2.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mssimo
Like?
In reply to inasir1971, Feb 27, 2013

Yeah, I was just watching it. I also pay for his article and he did one on portraits with the 2/135. I owned many lenses including the best canon and Nikon ones and I never seen so much contrast, detail and bold colors. As Lloyd said it, if there was such a thing as flawless lens, this is it. Becoming a member to his site is worth every penny...excited to see that he will have posted tomorrow. I have the 135 on pre-order, I will serve the forums when it gets here.

Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
fpessolano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116
Like?

Des he say anything on loca compared to the 100?

i am on the fence to get one, but worried it will have the same loca of the 100.

-- hide signature --

Francesco
http://www.siteaside.com/

inasir1971
Like?

Mssimo wrote:

Yeah, I was just watching it. I also pay for his article and he did one on portraits with the 2/135. I owned many lenses including the best canon and Nikon ones and I never seen so much contrast, detail and bold colors. As Lloyd said it, if there was such a thing as flawless lens, this is it. Becoming a member to his site is worth every penny...excited to see that he will have posted tomorrow. I have the 135 on pre-order, I will serve the forums when it gets here.

Yeah, he must have just put that up - excited with the new lens no doubt. His comments about 'more mature' female subjects are funny, guess we'll just have to be more selective about who we shoot with that lens!

I have it on pre-order too but who knows. Let's hope stock gets in and out to customers soon. Good luck with getting yours quickly.

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,359Gear list
Like?
In reply to fpessolano, Feb 27, 2013

fpessolano wrote:

Des he say anything on loca compared to the 100?

i am on the fence to get one, but worried it will have the same loca of the 100.

-- hide signature --

Francesco

HI!

Just out of curiosity, have you used the 100/2?

I find the LoCA of the 100/2 to be not much of a problem . In situations where it might be (not most), you just stop down a bit.

Under some conditions, at f/2, you will see it at high contrast interfaces. Markedly decreases by f/2.8.

Nikon D3 ,Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF ,SB-900
1/2000s f/2.8 at 100.0mm iso200

Nikon D3 ,Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF
1/500s f/2.0 at 100.0mm iso2500

Nikon D3 ,Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF
1/5000s f/2.8 at 100.0mm iso800

In any event, I recall seeing example from Photokina comparing the LoCA of the 100/2 and the 135/2. The latter had less.

BTW, Many beautiful photos on your web site!

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Dubaiphil
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
In reply to RBFresno, Feb 27, 2013

RBFresno wrote:

Under some conditions, at f/2, you will see it at high contrast interfaces. Markedly decreases by f/2.8.

Nikon D3 ,Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF ,SB-900
1/2000s f/2.8 at 100.0mm iso200

High contrast interfaces?  That's a new phrase for them

Mssimo
Like?

It's better than the 100 but only compared it at 1:10. I seen the images, I could see no CA at all, but he said a very small amount (he noted same Leica APO)

The image is also 90% larger than the 100mm. He does not think they overlap. I never thought things could get any better than the 100mm

Mssimo
Like?
In reply to RBFresno, Feb 27, 2013

The 100mm is so well controlled that the leftover is easy to fix in Lightroom.

The 135 being a APO lens, takes the correction to the next level.

He said because of this, it makes it better to focus (by eye and live view)

If your thinking about buying this lens, it's worth paying for his articles.

He has a Nikon 135mm f2 DC and canon 135L on hand for comparisons. Articles should be out in the next few days.

fpessolano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116
Like?
Thanks

Yes I tried the 100 (borrowed) and it is a great lens, but at the time I went fr the much inferior 105vr as it is 1:1

i asked for the loca as I dream of a lens where I could crop on the d800 without much ca/loca wide open as loca/ca is the thing I always forget to fix in photoshop. And big cropping on d800 is more frequent than before for me.

i have also in the past subscribed to diglloyd, but n stopped after I knew all I needed for all (but the new 135) lenses. I might redo it now that my moving to the d800 has showed shortcoming of lenses I chose for the d700 I stead of the zeiss.

anyhow, based on his "wow" alone I decided to order the 135 as it fits perfectly in my prime kit (24/50/85/135).

now it is waiting for weeks

-- hide signature --

Francesco

Mssimo
Like?
Sample Images from LLoyd Chambers Blog
In reply to Mssimo, Feb 28, 2013

All of these are at F2 http://diglloyd.com/

See the rest of the blog @

-- hide signature --
Mssimo
Like?
Stunning detail
inasir1971
Like?
Re: Stunning detail

"Let’s get one thing over and done: the Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO-Sonnar is the best performing lens so far in the entire Zeiss ZF.2 / ZE lineup. Its performance bears little criticism. Actually, I might be stymied in that regard.Oh well.

Well, OK, here goes: it could have been ƒ/1.4 and it could have had MTF of 85% at 40 lp/mm at ƒ/2 in a flat line to the extreme corners and focused to 1:1 (and thus have cost $12K and weighed 5 pounds). I’m 'good' now." - Lloyd Chambers

Patience is not a virtue I have in abundance

Johan1967
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
In reply to inasir1971, Feb 28, 2013

inasir1971 wrote:

"Let’s get one thing over and done: the Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO-Sonnar is the best performing lens so far in the entire Zeiss ZF.2 / ZE lineup. Its performance bears little criticism. Actually, I might be stymied in that regard.Oh well.

Well, OK, here goes: it could have been ƒ/1.4 and it could have had MTF of 85% at 40 lp/mm at ƒ/2 in a flat line to the extreme corners and focused to 1:1 (and thus have cost $12K and weighed 5 pounds). I’m 'good' now." - Lloyd Chambers

I am getting a little tired of Lloyd Chambers (I have a subscription that I probably will not continue). I see a repeating pattern in his publications. First he shouts with every new lens how fantastic it is. Based on this people are going to buy. And then after some time (about a year or so) he will publish all kind of tests that show that it is not really that fantastic. For example his publications about the Zeiss 35/1.4. At first he wrote it was corrected for CA very well, and now he concludes in a comparison with the Sigma 35/1.4 that this is not really true.

I now suspect a commercial interest in his publications. And that is not good for an independent reviewer. I am not sure anymore how to value his reviews.

BTW I really like the results so far with the ZF 135/2.

Mssimo
Like?
In reply to Johan1967, Feb 28, 2013

Johan1967 wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

Well, OK, here goes: it could have been ƒ/1.4 and it could have had MTF of 85% at 40 lp/mm at ƒ/2 in a flat line to the extreme corners and focused to 1:1 (and thus have cost $12K and weighed 5 pounds). I’m 'good' now." - Lloyd Chambers

I am getting a little tired of Lloyd Chambers (I have a subscription that I probably will not continue). I see a repeating pattern in his publications. First he shouts with every new lens how fantastic it is. Based on this people are going to buy. And then after some time (about a year or so) he will publish all kind of tests that show that it is not really that fantastic. For example his publications about the Zeiss 35/1.4. At first he wrote it was corrected for CA very well, and now he concludes in a comparison with the Sigma 35/1.4 that this is not really true.

I now suspect a commercial interest in his publications. And that is not good for an independent reviewer. I am not sure anymore how to value his reviews.

BTW I really like the results so far with the ZF 135/2.

We never really know what the future holds, maybe one day samyang will make a $300 lens that makes the sigma look bad but it will not change how good of a lens it is..just the perception. Also, there was no 36Mp sensors when the 1,4/35 came out.

-- hide signature --
Dodi73
Senior MemberPosts: 1,435Gear list
Like?

Mssimo

over Nikoncafe you have both lenses - someone got a 135 recently and started posting in the related Zeiss lenses subforum.

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +5 more
Mssimo
Like?
In reply to Dodi73, Feb 28, 2013

Thanks! I been looking for more samples.

-- hide signature --
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,359Gear list
Like?
B&H now estimates March 20th ...
In reply to Mssimo, Mar 3, 2013

Mssimo wrote:

Anyone have the Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar yet or maybe confirmed ship date?

Please let us know what vendor you used.

If you have the lens..share thoughts and samples!

-- hide signature --

B&H Zeiss lenses

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Mssimo
Like?
Zeiss 135 F2 vs Nikon 135 F2 DC

A comparison was done between the Zeiss 2/135 and Nikkor 135mm DC .

In summary, the Zeiss is much better (as it should be for the price)

• Nikon is a mess at F2 when it comes to CA and other artifacts. Sharpness is also not great compared to Zeiss.
  • Zeiss had no CA, LOCA that I could notice at any aperture. Some did notice a tad at F2 but this may be something called sensor blooming (tends not to go away as you stop down) This is very hard to notice, even after someone points it out. Non issue for myself.
  • Zeiss is so sharp at F2 that nikon needs F8 to be in the same level.
  • Zeiss does not get much better when stopping down. This is because its already so sharp. On D800e, you should avoid anything higher than f5.6, unless you need DOF.
  • Zeiss f9 or f11 is about as good as f2. If you need to stop it down, it will still perform.
  • The only bad thing about the Zeiss is that its "too" sharp for portraits, if you subject is older than 25ish. This is a plus for nikon, since it does give a nice smooth rendition of skin. Another plus for the nikon is the price (about half) if you can find one.
  • Bokeh on the Zeiss does have the cats eye effect (on edges) This can not be avoided on a lens of this type. Stopping it down to f2.8 or f4 makes it round.
  • Bokeh has little texture, and very uniform color.

In conclusion of my observations, this lens could cost $4000 grand and it would still be worth every penny. I believe it Nikon made one with the same performance and AF..it would cost even more.
I don't believe I can think of a single lens* on the market that performs as well as this one. If you disagree, please point it out. 
(*Lens for FF DSLR, not including Super Teles like the Nikkor 800mm F5.6)
-- hide signature --
daniel johnstone
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Re: Zeiss 135 F2 vs Nikon 135 F2 DC

Do you know if you can use a teleconverter with it.

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads