Canon T4i or Nikon D 5200

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions
NJGarden
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Canon T4i or Nikon D 5200
Feb 26, 2013

What camera would you recommend to a beginner SLR user, a Canon T4i or Nikon D5200? Any other camera suggestions are appreciated.

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 6,125Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon T4i or Nikon D 5200
In reply to NJGarden, Feb 26, 2013

Do you know anyone who owns either a Canon or Nikon dSLR?

Both of those are good choices for a beginner.

I'm partial to Canon, obviously since this is a Canon forum.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Philip Kendall
Contributing MemberPosts: 785Gear list
Like?
In reply to NJGarden, Feb 26, 2013

NJGarden wrote:

What camera would you recommend to a beginner SLR user, a Canon T4i or Nikon D5200?

Whichever one feels better in your hand.

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to NJGarden, Feb 27, 2013

Check out the advice in the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ., e.g. the Camera Bodies section.

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,364
Like?

Either camera for a beginner would be just fine.  The Nikon D5200 has more megapixels and some might say better image quality.  But Canon Rebels might produce better JPEGs (at least that is what I read).  You might ask around about that, since you may not want to be taking RAW pictures at first as a beginner.  Also check which lenses you want to use, that is within your budget.  Don't worry about the brand as a beginner (as long as you don't invest in a lot of expensive lenses) and it's a good brand.  Just pick one and enjoy.  A lot of us change brands all the time or use a number of different brands at the same time.  I was using Olympus DSLR cameras, but Olympus has not produced a new competitive model for a long time.  That's why I'm using Canon DSLR cameras now.  They seemed for me the best choice.  I almost got the Nikon D5100, but then there were the Southeast Asia floods...well...that's another story.

Oh, one other...Nikon seems lately to have more problems with dust.  I'm not sure if that is a problem with the Nikon D5200, but one of the newer models had issues with dust.  You may want to spend some time reading all the reviews.  You are likely to get the best information there, unless you find someone that uses both the Canon T4i (650D) and Nikon D5200.

Abhayks
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?

I am currently trying my hands at Canon 650D. It sure is a good camera. If you do end up selecting it, I would highly recommend getting 18-135 IS STM lens as your first lens. Its a great lens for beginers and just amazing for video. For a long time this might be the only lens you'll need. Once you have learned the camera and its operations well enough then you yourself will be able to decide on your lenses and bodies.

Corresponding Nikon lens 18-105 VR is crap when compared to this one.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/lenses/dx/canon-ef-s-18-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-is-stm-lens

troutbum96013
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Feb 27, 2013

I purchased the T4i as a backup for my 7D, AND, to use it mostly for video because of the autofocus ability. However, the kit lens for video is worthless. I upgraded to the 18-135 STM. My advice is to use this lens if you are serious about video as its faster and quiter. Faster, meaning the AF is nearly lighting speed. It works much better following a moving image.

My only complaint with the T4i is the fold out touch screen. In my opinion its mickey-mouse. Really amatuerish to have a fold out touch screen. That's just me, as that would be the only thing I'd change.

My edited video in HD is awesome. Showing the video on my 50 inch Plasma Panasonic is truly superb. Editing is done in Adobe Premiere Eliments 11.

troutbum96013's gear list:troutbum96013's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
NJGarden
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to troutbum96013, Feb 27, 2013

Thank you guys for all your replies! I am leaning towards buying T4i. I can get it with two lenses (18-55mm and 55-250 mm) for $900.  Unfortunately, the kit I was planning to buy doesn't have 18-135 lens. I guess I would have to get it separately.

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to NJGarden, Feb 28, 2013

NJGarden wrote:

Thank you guys for all your replies! I am leaning towards buying T4i. I can get it with two lenses (18-55mm and 55-250 mm) for $900. Unfortunately, the kit I was planning to buy doesn't have 18-135 lens. I guess I would have to get it separately.

The kit with the 18-135mm STM lens is currently in stock at B&H.   The kit is also in stock at Adorama.  And the kit is in stock at Amazon.   The price is only $859 at Amazon, so the other 2 will match that price for you.  Take your pick!

I would definitely buy the 2 as a kit because when sold separately, the lens is MUCH more expensive!

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
mattakramer
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, Mar 9, 2013

Y0GI wrote:

NJGarden wrote:

Thank you guys for all your replies! I am leaning towards buying T4i. I can get it with two lenses (18-55mm and 55-250 mm) for $900. Unfortunately, the kit I was planning to buy doesn't have 18-135 lens. I guess I would have to get it separately.

The kit with the 18-135mm STM lens is currently in stock at B&H. The kit is also in stock at Adorama. And the kit is in stock at Amazon. The price is only $859 at Amazon, so the other 2 will match that price for you. Take your pick!

I would definitely buy the 2 as a kit because when sold separately, the lens is MUCH more expensive!

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

What is the benefit of buying from somewhere other than amazon?

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 6,125Gear list
Like?
In reply to mattakramer, Mar 9, 2013

mattakramer wrote:

Y0GI wrote:

NJGarden wrote:

The kit with the 18-135mm STM lens is currently in stock at B&H. The kit is also in stock at Adorama. And the kit is in stock at Amazon. The price is only $859 at Amazon, so the other 2 will match that price for you. Take your pick!

-- hide signature --

Yogi

What is the benefit of buying from somewhere other than amazon?

Well, first, Sold by Amazon is fine. Avoid buying from 3rd party sellers as they may not be authorized Canon dealers, which might lead to warranty issues later on. And every time I get an item shipped directly from a 3rd party (not shipped by Amazon) there always seems to be some issue. In my opinion buying items from Amazon 3rd party sellers, shipped directly from the 3rd party seller is no different than buying on ebay.

The other concern with Amazon, is they just don't pack stuff very well for shipping. The retail box, will often be placed in a larger box, with inadequate padding, the smaller box, sliding around inside the larger one, impacting the sides as it is tossed around in shipment.

The nice thing about Amazon is, if there is any damage, or it doesn't seem to be working right within 30 days, they pay for the shipment back.

With B&H or Adorama, it will be better packed, but, you may have to pay shipping back for some returns.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads