shame on you Nikon

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions
draacor
Contributing MemberPosts: 946Gear list
Like?
shame on you Nikon
Feb 26, 2013

For not providing more regular updates to their firmware.  One thing i would love to have is more than 3 bracketed shots available.  This isn't something that is hardware dependent   Give me 5 or better yet 9 bracketed shot ability.  It feels like as soon as they release a camera they come out with maybe one firmware update that is basically useless anyway, and then that's it for the life of the camera.  Then they expect you to just buy a new camera even though your current camera is more than capable of doing some of the functions of the newer one with a simple software update.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalimpact

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,590
Like?
not firm
In reply to draacor, Feb 26, 2013

draacor wrote:

For not providing more regular updates to their firmware. One thing i would love to have is more than 3 bracketed shots available. This isn't something that is hardware dependent Give me 5 or better yet 9 bracketed shot ability.

Not a firmware issue...it's a business decision and feature issue. Nikon rarely adds features in firmware updates.  It would be counterproductive to the business model just as MacDonald s doesn't add more nuggets to the 10 nugget meal to make it look more like the 20 nugget meal.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
draacor
Like?
Re: not firm
In reply to Mako2011, Feb 26, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

For not providing more regular updates to their firmware. One thing i would love to have is more than 3 bracketed shots available. This isn't something that is hardware dependent Give me 5 or better yet 9 bracketed shot ability.

Not a firmware issue...it's a business decision and feature issue. Nikon rarely adds features in firmware updates. It would be counterproductive to the business model just as MacDonald s doesn't add more nuggets to the 10 nugget meal to make it look more like the 20 nugget meal.

see i think its that way because people come to expect it not necessarily because that's how it should be.  Look at video games, i can buy a 50 dollar video game that basically gets regular updates and improvements for at least a year down the road if not more.  But i buy a 1300 dollar camera and gets almost no updates to it even tho its possible.  Reason being is people are conditioned to accept that that's the way it is instead of questioning this practice.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,118Gear list
Like?
Re: not firm

Apparently more money can be made with the introduction of new models. Nikon is taking that risk, and whether it will keep working or not remains to be seen.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
draacor
Like?
Re: shame on you Nikon

I wonder how upset people would be if say Microsoft would do the same tactic.  What if in order to get a new version if IE you had to just buy it?  To get any new features added to windows you just had to buy the next version of windows.  I'm pretty sure people would be awfully outraged by that, but that's because we have been conditioned from the start to expect regular updates to the system and then every now and then upgrade to a new version by purchasing.

In fact I think cameras are the only device that comes to mind that uses software to control its primary functions that hardly ever comes out with improvements to it without buying a new model.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,254Gear list
Like?

draacor wrote:

To get any new features added to windows you just had to buy the next version of windows.

You do.

They supply LOTS of security updates but they don't add major features to an OS as part of "updates". They save those for the next release.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
draacor
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, Feb 26, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

draacor wrote:

To get any new features added to windows you just had to buy the next version of windows.

You do.

They supply LOTS of security updates but they don't add major features to an OS as part of "updates". They save those for the next release.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

im pretty sure they went from IE 7 to IE 10 just in one version of windows without requiring an upgrade to windows 8.  Heck windows 8 came out and they still gave IE 10 to the Windows 7 users.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

I don't usually agree with these type of posts, but I do here.  For example, why can't Nikon add the new functionality found in the D4, D800 to the D7000, as to:

-AF-ON activates VR

-focal length based minimum shutter speed for Auto-ISO

Seems like it would be a no-brainer

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,911Gear list
Like?

draacor wrote:

I wonder how upset people would be if say Microsoft would do the same tactic. What if in order to get a new version if IE you had to just buy it? To get any new features added to windows you just had to buy the next version of windows. I'm pretty sure people would be awfully outraged by that, but that's because we have been conditioned from the start to expect regular updates to the system and then every now and then upgrade to a new version by purchasing.

In fact I think cameras are the only device that comes to mind that uses software to control its primary functions that hardly ever comes out with improvements to it without buying a new model.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Draacor, that's the way pretty much every software company works. They establish some limits on firmware updates - bugfix only, etc., and then when a major new feature gets finished, up the revision number and charge an upgrade fee. Microsoft plays this game with all of its products as well, you just don't always see it that often and because their major product - their operating system, has to be constantly updated because of its complexity and the unfeasibility of 100% testing prior to launch. Also because Microsoft is in the business of enabling you to use their products on the strength of their operating system. It's the Gillette razors and blades models - give away the razor, charge like **** for the blades.

Even worse now is the subscription model. Long used in the industrial software market, this model forces you to pay a monthly "maintenance fee" on top of a hefty "purchase price" for what is effectively the R&D costs for the next generation. And with some manufacturers, you can't just upgrade your software and avoid maintenance; you have to pay back maintenance as well. Adobe has just instituted this model and it's causing hideous screams from their user base. On the other hand, it's about the only way a company can survive once the point is reached that a particular product does all and more than any user can think of using. Cameras are pretty much at that point right now.  Would you be willing to pay a firmware rental charge for the updates you want?

It does make some sense to consider a camera body as a platform in some regards, because for many users the camera is a long term purchase. Thom Hogans Communicating, Modular, Programmable camera idea, and the NEX-6's camera apps store address this idea. However, the reality is that cameras are not considered a durable good in the same way that cars are, for example. They are a disposable consumer good. If Nikon were to make a Hoganesque CMP camera, I would guess that a large fraction of its new body sales would disappear...even though its sales of software and compatible ecosphere products would rise. However, that increase in software sales wouldn't make up for the loss of camera sales, and, as importantly, a lot of the profit from those software sales would go to someone else than Nikon. Notice how Sony isn't permitting 3rd party software for its app-enabled NEX-6?

The u4/3 folks are providing firmware updates and iterating like mad because they're trying to establish market share and a unique presence. Nikon and Canon already have that presence. When u4/3 matures, it'll start playing the same games that Nikon and Canon are.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
draacor
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Feb 26, 2013

mosswings wrote:

draacor wrote:

I wonder how upset people would be if say Microsoft would do the same tactic. What if in order to get a new version if IE you had to just buy it? To get any new features added to windows you just had to buy the next version of windows. I'm pretty sure people would be awfully outraged by that, but that's because we have been conditioned from the start to expect regular updates to the system and then every now and then upgrade to a new version by purchasing.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Draacor, that's the way pretty much every software company works. They establish some limits on firmware updates - bugfix only, etc., and then when a major new feature gets finished, up the revision number and charge an upgrade fee. Microsoft plays this game with all of its products as well, you just don't always see it that often and because their major product - their operating system, has to be constantly updated because of its complexity and the unfeasibility of 100% testing prior to launch. Also because Microsoft is in the business of enabling you to use their products on the strength of their operating system. It's the Gillette razors and blades models - give away the razor, charge like **** for the blades.

Even worse now is the subscription model. Long used in the industrial software market, this model forces you to pay a monthly "maintenance fee" on top of a hefty "purchase price" for what is effectively the R&D costs for the next generation. And with some manufacturers, you can't just upgrade your software and avoid maintenance; you have to pay back maintenance as well. Adobe has just instituted this model and it's causing hideous screams from their user base. On the other hand, it's about the only way a company can survive once the point is reached that a particular product does all and more than any user can think of using. Cameras are pretty much at that point right now. Would you be willing to pay a firmware rental charge for the updates you want?

It does make some sense to consider a camera body as a platform in some regards, because for many users the camera is a long term purchase. Thom Hogans Communicating, Modular, Programmable camera idea, and the NEX-6's camera apps store address this idea. However, the reality is that cameras are not considered a durable good in the same way that cars are, for example. They are a disposable consumer good. If Nikon were to make a Hoganesque CMP camera, I would guess that a large fraction of its new body sales would disappear...even though its sales of software and compatible ecosphere products would rise. However, that increase in software sales wouldn't make up for the loss of camera sales, and, as importantly, a lot of the profit from those software sales would go to someone else than Nikon. Notice how Sony isn't permitting 3rd party software for its app-enabled NEX-6?

The u4/3 folks are providing firmware updates and iterating like mad because they're trying to establish market share and a unique presence. Nikon and Canon already have that presence. When u4/3 matures, it'll start playing the same games that Nikon and Canon are.

Im definitely not saying that's the way it is.  I'm just saying its only that way because we have been conditioned to accept it as the norm.  I just want to vent that we should rise up and demand this be changed.  If I buy a 1300 dollar piece of equipment and they come out with new features on a new model that are blatantly obvious as a simple software update, i should be able to utilize that update.  My camera should not be classified as completely obsolete in just a year and a half because nikon just wont update their software.  It seems lazy and grossly negligent and almost like we are all getting swindled and just accepting it as oh well.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Not anymore

draacor wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

Not a firmware issue...it's a business decision and feature issue. Nikon rarely adds features in firmware updates. It would be counterproductive to the business model just as MacDonald s doesn't add more nuggets to the 10 nugget meal to make it look more like the 20 nugget meal.

see i think its that way because people come to expect it not necessarily because that's how it should be. Look at video games, i can buy a 50 dollar video game that basically gets regular updates and improvements for at least a year down the road if not more.

Today the norm is increasingly you buy the game, a short one, then have to pay more for DLC (down Loadable Content).

But i buy a 1300 dollar camera and gets almost no updates to it even tho its possible. Reason being is people are conditioned to accept that that's the way it is instead of questioning this practice.

They always fix bugs with updates for free when they get fixed. Expecting free DLC for your camera to make it more like the higher priced model is like expecting Chevy to add 2 cylinders to your V6 to upgraded it to the V8 model for free. Chevy would soon go under...I think they did once

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
pay for it

draacor wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

draacor wrote:

You do.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

im pretty sure they went from IE 7 to IE 10 just in one version of windows without requiring an upgrade to windows 8. Heck windows 8 came out and they still gave IE 10 to the Windows 7 users.

But you had to buy Win 7 to get DX11 as they wouldn't update XP

draacor
Like?
Re: Not anymore

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

see i think its that way because people come to expect it not necessarily because that's how it should be. Look at video games, i can buy a 50 dollar video game that basically gets regular updates and improvements for at least a year down the road if not more.

Today the norm is increasingly you buy the game, a short one, then have to pay more for DLC (down Loadable Content).

Unless you are talking free to play games like Guild Wars 2  I do agree though its becoming less and less popular to come out with updates unless its paid DLC but like i said it doesnt mean its now justified.

But i buy a 1300 dollar camera and gets almost no updates to it even tho its possible. Reason being is people are conditioned to accept that that's the way it is instead of questioning this practice.

They always fix bugs with updates for free when they get fixed. Expecting free DLC for your camera to make it more like the higher priced model is like expecting Chevy to add 2 cylinders to your V6 to upgraded it to the V8 model for free. Chevy would soon go under...I think they did once

Well sure but that's not what I'm talking about, for instance i don't expect nikon to recall their d7000 and replace the AF with the newer one found on the D7100.  That is obvious.  But to make simple software adjustments that lets be honest should have been there in the first place, but Nikon deemed to hold it back because its obvious they want to include that in later models is just bad customer service.  Good companies tend to not nickel and dime you mainly because you can go elsewhere.  But cameras are different because they don't.  But that doesn't make it justified just because they don't offer this kind of service.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
good in long run ?

draacor wrote:

mosswings wrote:

draacor wrote:

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Even worse now is the subscription model. Long used in the industrial software market, this model forces you to pay a monthly "maintenance fee" on top of a hefty "purchase price" for what is effectively the R&D costs for the next generation. And with some manufacturers, you can't just upgrade your software and avoid maintenance; you have to pay back maintenance as well. Adobe has just instituted this model and it's causing hideous screams from their user base. On the other hand, it's about the only way a company can survive once the point is reached that a particular product does all and more than any user can think of using. Cameras are pretty much at that point right now. Would you be willing to pay a firmware rental charge for the updates you want?

Im definitely not saying that's the way it is. I'm just saying its only that way because we have been conditioned to accept it as the norm. I just want to vent that we should rise up and demand this be changed. If I buy a 1300 dollar piece of equipment and they come out with new features on a new model that are blatantly obvious as a simple software update, i should be able to utilize that update. My camera should not be classified as completely obsolete in just a year and a half because nikon just wont update their software. It seems lazy and grossly negligent and almost like we are all getting swindled and just accepting it as oh well.

So you want us to rise up and demand something that will ultimately impact the profit margin in a negative way and thus take money away for further R&D and help to make the company less healthy. Isn't working for Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Kodak..... Do you work for Canon

draacor
Like?
Re: pay for it

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

draacor wrote:

You do.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

im pretty sure they went from IE 7 to IE 10 just in one version of windows without requiring an upgrade to windows 8. Heck windows 8 came out and they still gave IE 10 to the Windows 7 users.

Well sure eventually you do need to upgrade.  Thats a given.  There comes a time when youve updated as far as you can go.  What they need to do is open up the firmware to open source so users can have a go at it and update their cameras at their leisure.  That would be awesome!

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

draacor
Like?
Re: good in long run ?

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

mosswings wrote:

draacor wrote:

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Im definitely not saying that's the way it is. I'm just saying its only that way because we have been conditioned to accept it as the norm. I just want to vent that we should rise up and demand this be changed. If I buy a 1300 dollar piece of equipment and they come out with new features on a new model that are blatantly obvious as a simple software update, i should be able to utilize that update. My camera should not be classified as completely obsolete in just a year and a half because nikon just wont update their software. It seems lazy and grossly negligent and almost like we are all getting swindled and just accepting it as oh well.

So you want us to rise up and demand something that will ultimately impact the profit margin in a negative way and thus take money away for further R&D and help to make the company less healthy. Isn't working for Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Kodak..... Do you work for Canon

how many people upgrade to the next model because of a couple of software updates?  i would say a very select few.  Most people probably upgrade to the next model because of hardware differences not software.  I really dont think this would harm their bottom line in one bit.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
They know

draacor wrote:

But to make simple software adjustments that lets be honest should have been there in the first place, but Nikon deemed to hold it back because its obvious they want to include that in later models is just bad customer service. Good companies tend to not nickel and dime you mainly because you can go elsewhere. But cameras are different because they don't. But that doesn't make it justified just because they don't offer this kind of service.

I understand your thinking but Nikon's business model has supplied us with outstanding products and innovation. You want them to change the business model to suit your desires. Might be good in the short term for you personally, but might seriously harm my grandsons changes of getting a D9900. Nikon seems to know what they are doing.  Some will argue that it helps more the other way but we really can't be sure about that. Economics in business can be complicated. The balance is very then these days.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
no reason

draacor wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

draacor wrote:

You do.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Well sure eventually you do need to upgrade. Thats a given. There comes a time when youve updated as far as you can go.

Why? There was no physical or technological reason for them to cripple XP like that in the face of nes Video card capabilities. It's like they were out to make a profit or something silly.

What they need to do is open up the firmware to open source so users can have a go at it and update their cameras at their leisure. That would be awesome!

And maybe disaster as well. One of the reasons Microsoft is not Apple. Two ways to look at it

draacor
Like?
Re: They know

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

But to make simple software adjustments that lets be honest should have been there in the first place, but Nikon deemed to hold it back because its obvious they want to include that in later models is just bad customer service. Good companies tend to not nickel and dime you mainly because you can go elsewhere. But cameras are different because they don't. But that doesn't make it justified just because they don't offer this kind of service.

I understand your thinking but Nikon's business model has supplied us with outstanding products and innovation. You want them to change the business model to suit your desires. Might be good in the short term for you personally, but might seriously harm my grandsons changes of getting a D9900. Nikon seems to know what they are doing. Some will argue that it helps more the other way but we really can't be sure about that. Economics in business can be complicated. The balance is very then these days.

If we never question a companies business practice we would never have the choices we have today.  Im pretty sure I am not alone in this want to make my D7000 better and offer more features that it is fully capable of handling.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,230Gear list
Like?

A nine shot bracket will never happen on any non-pro Nikon.  If you must have that radical a bracket, spin the dial minus one and three from the two stop bracket setting (nine shots,) as I have done many times with the D7000.  Or get a Promote which will automate the whole process.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads