Rechargeable AA Batteries and Charger for SB700

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions
sthlm
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Rechargeable AA Batteries and Charger for SB700
Feb 26, 2013

I've read through most of the older threads about this but thought I'd get the most up to date answer.  I need to buy both the charger and batteries for my flash and would love some recommendations. Is the discharge rate really that important?

sthlm's gear list:sthlm's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,801Gear list
Like?
Sanyo Eneloops
In reply to sthlm, Feb 26, 2013

sthlm wrote:

Is the discharge rate really that important?

Only you can answer that. Is it really that important for you, or do you prefer to recharge your batteries the night before you need them anyway?

I tend to use my flashguns occasionally, and even then a couple of dozen times at a time. Being able to pick up my flashgun without worrying so much about whether the batteries are charged means a great deal to me.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,189Gear list
Like?
Re: Rechargeable AA Batteries and Charger for SB700

Rechargeable batteries are expensive and the fastest way to ruin them is by using a cheap charger.  Slow controlled charging of each battery will give you the longest life and the highest charges.

I strongly recommend the Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer.

B&H - Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
newtoy
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?

Sanyo Eneloop 2000mAh is the best AA rechargable for the money. Powerrex MH-C801D changer is what I am using. Charge 8 AA or AAA at once and each cell is charge and monitor indepently.

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
sthlm
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to sthlm, Feb 27, 2013

I live in Sweden and nobody carries that charger for some reason.  Nothing from that brand at all.

sthlm's gear list:sthlm's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
In reply to sthlm, Apr 10, 2013

Sanyo Eneloop batteries are the highest quality made. This is because the purity of the chemical components.

If you want to read about them, and see some tests, go to the website for Thomas Distributing.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/AA-AAA-C-D-9V-Batteries_c_634.html

I believe they are in Pennsylvania. But you can buy the batteries anywhere. I got them at both Amazon.com and from BH Photo in New York.

The Maha charger is rated the highest, according to the tests on the Thomas Industry website. But I'm not a pro, and wanted to save money. So I bought the Pearstone charger sold at BHPhoto. Amazon also sells them. They are about half the price of the Maha. They hold 8 AA cells at one time and have full digital controls. Just like the Maha.

The Eneloops and other good batteries require a charger that will fully discharge the batteries before re-charging them. This conditions the batteries and so you can expect them to last for 1,000 charging cycles. The Thomas website has good technical and background info on rechargeable batteries. Very useful to photographers.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
hirejn
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?
In reply to sthlm, Apr 10, 2013

Maha Powerex. They make the batteries and charger. You can buy directly from them. Make sure you get a charger that works with your outlets. I used Powerex 2700mAh batteries intensely for two years before they required replacement. Four batteries cost $14.50 on Amazon; $14.50 for two years worth of batteries is a good deal. I shot a lot of sports and indoor activities. The higher power means the flash recycles quicker and you can get more flashes out of a set of batteries. It's worth it if you use flash more than a couple times a year.

-- hide signature --

Joel Nisleit Photography
The best piece of camera gear is the one used by someone who understands photography.

hirejn's gear list:hirejn's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
juliemeikle
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
In reply to hirejn, Apr 14, 2013

The charger costs a lot....is there a cheaper alternative, please?

juliemeikle's gear list:juliemeikle's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads