D600 and the Tamron 24-70 F2.8

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
abdm436
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
D600 and the Tamron 24-70 F2.8
Feb 25, 2013

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I'm trying to decide between the Tamron 24-70 and the Nikon 24-70. I've also been looking at the 24-120 and 28-300.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pipee
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
Re: D600 and the Tamron 24-70 F2.8
In reply to abdm436, Feb 26, 2013

I got the D600 when it first came out and have used this set up for wedding photography since. See pictures here:

http://www.tinkerphotography.com

Just make sure you test the aperture control because many wouldn't stop down until f4.0. ie, f2.8 to f4.0 has no difference to f2.8. Other than that, the images are sharp and the zoom range is great for 95% of the situations I come across.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TedgFoto
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?

I do and have been pleased so far except for the aperture issue that was mentioned. Tamron is fixing it if you send them your lens. Not sure if new production of this lens still has the issue.

Other than that, it's very sharp, and the VC works great. Another issue you will hear form people is that the bokeh isn't that nice. It onions pretty bad.

m_appeal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
In reply to TedgFoto, Feb 26, 2013

TedgFoto wrote:

I do and have been pleased so far except for the aperture issue that was mentioned. Tamron is fixing it if you send them your lens. Not sure if new production of this lens still has the issue.

Other than that, it's very sharp, and the VC works great. Another issue you will hear form people is that the bokeh isn't that nice. It onions pretty bad.

the onion thing isn't really an issue for bokeh except for scenes with bright highlights... the boke is actually nice in other scenes. the bigger issue t me was the focus consistency (which was poor - too many focus errors that were wild) and the soft corners (soft corners at 24mm even at f8).

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?

abdm436 wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I'm trying to decide between the Tamron 24-70 and the Nikon 24-70. I've also been looking at the 24-120 and 28-300.

The Tamron is an excellent value but suffers from onion bokeh. If you want to pay twice the price for premium quality, wait for the new 24-70mm VR 2.8 (out in about 3 months)

Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287
Like?

It has been a great lens so far.  Very sharp...even wide open.  Mine did suffer from the miss-calibrated aperture but I fixed it myself with the procedure outlined HERE.

Chris J Newman
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Feb 26, 2013

I recently bought a D800 and Tamron 24-70, and have no regrets so far.

Published tests seem to suggest that optically, it is probably the 2nd best mid-range zoom available in a Nikon fit, behind the Nikon 24-70 but ahead of the Sigma 24-70, Nikon 24-120 and Nikon 24-85.  From my experience with the Tamron, and previously my Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 on D90, I see no reason to disagree.

Most of the time it is not practical for me to use a tripod, and I think I gain more from image stabilization than I lose in optical quality.

The aperture control on my lens is rather wayward, but I also checked it on my Nikon 17-55, and it’s not much better.  Perhaps Canon’s all-electric approach gives better control!  On my Tamron, the aperture does not reduce much down to a setting of f/3.5, but by f/5.6 it has almost caught up to where it should be, letting in not much more than ¼ of the light passing at f/2.8.  Thanks Daniel for the link to the correction procedure, which i was not aware of, but I guess that would make a linear change, which might not help me much.

My main gripes with the lens all concern handling.

• The lens hood needs a very high torque to attach or remove, and I worry about damaging the lenses internal mechanism.
  • The VC on/off switch can be difficult to operate, as it is fairly stiff and offers little to push on
  • I find I cannot grip the pinch-type lens cap nearly as securely as my Nikon ones, and it is prone to fall out of my hand, or off the lens because I did not place it properly.
  • With my Nikon 17-55, zooming to 17mm pushes the lens well out into the lens hood, so that I can attach or remove my polarising filter easily.  With the Tamron, the much smaller hood is attached directly to the end of the lens, and I need to remove it to change filters.

Chris

Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287
Like?
In reply to Chris J Newman, Feb 26, 2013

Chris J Newman wrote:

Thanks Daniel for the link to the correction procedure, which i was not aware of, but I guess that would make a linear change, which might not help me much.

It actually changes the point the aperture starts moving...once it starts moving, it moves the same amount amount.  It is very touchy to adjust though...just a small change makes a big difference.  It took me 4 trial and error attempts to get it right.  I actually had it pretty close the first time but then I tried to tweak it further and made it worse.  I was surprised to see the front electronics assembly held together with a plastic ring and was nervous that I might strip one of those tiny screws out of the plastic.  I'm glad I did it though.

I agree on the lens cap.  It is more difficult to get to clip correctly and I've had it pop out.

I like how close you can focus with the it.

As far as the onion bokeh, it takes special conditions to make it appear (small out of focus points of light, for example) and it isn't worse than some other zooms, like the Nikon 24-120, though the Nikon 24-70 doesn't suffer from it.

Chris J Newman
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Feb 26, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

It actually changes the point the aperture starts moving...once it starts moving, it moves the same amount.

Thanks Daniel for the confirmation.  What you say the adjustment does is just what I expected.  I only checked my lens from f/2.8 to f/5.6, as I was expecting it to adjust in reasonably accurate stops once it started to have any effect.  In fact my measurements showed almost no change from f/2.8 to f/3.2, a small change from f/3.2 to f/3.5, and then an excessive change from f/4 to f/5.6.  Some time I should get round to checking over a larger aperture range, and then decide whether I could gain anything by adjusting the setting, and whether its worth the risks, and possibly compromising my warranty.

With thanks, Chris

EYeye
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

Might I suggest you find a nice used Nikkor 28-70mm f2.8D? Price is MUCH better, and optically it seems a near match to the Nikkor 24-70mm f 2.8G. You loose 4mm, but for "people shots" I think 24mm is usually a tad too wide for flattering face images (or so my subjects seem to think). VERY sharp, good IQ and contrast seems spot on as well.

An added benefit, you can set up your D600 to allow the aperture ring to set aperture & this allows change in aperture while shooting video, a feature the D600 otherwise lacks.

I so far do not see a problem with lack of VR, but try to keep the shutter speed above 1/250 if possible. Still, have made nice shots at 1/30 if my technique is good.

Hope this is a help in your decision process!

EYeye's gear list:EYeye's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D80 +6 more
pipee
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to EYeye, Feb 26, 2013

Daniel, that guide in the thread is awesome. I will have to give it a go once I get me a tiny screwdriver.

Onion bokeh, no big deal for me. You can always smooth it out in post process if you really have to.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads