What do you think

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
Joel Stern
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,997Gear list
Like?
What do you think
Feb 25, 2013
 Joel Stern's gear list:Joel Stern's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
slncezgsi
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
Re: What do you think
In reply to Joel Stern, Feb 25, 2013

Well, probably did not sell too well or maybe Pentax/Ricoh have something else in mind. I personally never understood the existence of this camera given that Pentax APS-C DSLR cameras are actually very good.

-- hide signature --

*_
Matus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Salvatore Castrovinci
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Feb 25, 2013

Joel...

When this camera was s born, one year ago,I was very disappointed !

the camera was not and still good ..... its dimensions were very ambiguous and lacked a viewfinder (both electronic and optical) I did not see a valid reason to produce it ......
Was already begun dying if not dead.
Today the facts I was right .... I just hope one thing: that its sensor, can revive the GXR as a transplants of organs in humans .... I hope always in a FOVEON sensor on a GXR module ...... where to mount the optics Voigtlaender, Zeiss, Leica, Russian, DDR etc ... etc ....
It will be a Chimera?
cordially
Salvatore

NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Feb 26, 2013

It shows that consumers like their mirrorless cameras to be compact.

lenseye
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?

Can you really say you're surprised? I can't...

I live in Japan and have never seen anyone carrying one of these... never had a chance against the Pentax Q.

Next is... you guessed it! The GXR!

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Ricoh Pentax made this move to try to quell the rumors that they are a failing camera business.......oh wait.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,583
Like?

By all accounts the K-01 was not a bad camera as cameras go.

However it is a classic case of letting a fabled furniture designer design cameras.  It will go down in history as a great ornament and conversation piece.  I think cameras are best designed by people who actually use cameras.

The K-01 was full of great ideas.  It does have focus peaking and it apparently takes great images.  It is a full spec K mount compatible EVIL-type camera without the EV.

However it is reputedly awkward to use, has no viewfinder provision, only takes PK lenses and is clunky to say the least.  Pentax quirky to the point of desperation.

I wouldn't mind someone giving me one to keep in a glass case.

On the other hand the repetition of a rumour that Ricoh is working on a K mount module is mildly interesting.  Surely Ricoh might make a better fist of the idea.  My list of requirements might be a new GXR back to go with it complete with a built in evf, shaped slr-style grip, semi-pro shot to shot buffer.  Make the module body LM compatible with extra contacts to run a powered interface PK adapter. Either FF sensor or perhaps an aps-c sensr but make two adapters - a straight-through for aps-c format lenses and a clone of the Metabones Speed Booster - licensed as necessary - that would focal reduce 135 format ex-slr and dslr lenses on to the aps-c thereby picking up a stop in performance and adjusting the lens-designated focal length more or less to it's actual equivalent.

Such a little combine would give a future to the current LM module as well as picking up full functionality for "automatic" PK lenses in the process.  Having an evf, slr-grip and decent shot to shot buffer would enable this device to handle as well as a dslr body with larger lenses mounted.

Sorry about the aps-c sensor inside the works but FF would not handle PK aps-c image circle lenses.  But of course Ricoh could just make it FF and auto-crop the image circle of the designed for aps-c lenses - much like the NEX guys are proposing the way the FF NEX would work.  With a FF sensor just forget the "Speed Booster" adapter, but leave an LM with custom electrical contacts to mount auto PK lenses via a special adapter.

Done, where can I pre-order?

Shhhh - speculating again.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Feb 26, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

Ricoh Pentax made this move to try to quell the rumors that they are a failing camera business.......oh wait.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Funny that the GX "disappeared", the CX and PX might as well have disappeared, the GRD is rumoured to be still alive and kicking a little (maybe).  The GXR?  Who knows, but dpreview alludes to a PK module rumour.

Then Pentax confesses up that the K-01 is dead.  Is this a new direction and Pentax inspired, or was Pentax suddenly overwhelmed by dealers wanting more stock of the K-01 and in their embarrassment had to officially tell everyone to stop buying them?

Like the K-01 is dead, long live the king?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to NEXFULLFRAME, Feb 26, 2013

NEXFULLFRAME wrote:

I guess so too. At least that is what mirrorless cameras with mounts is about to me - try to keep it small with good image quality. That is probably also one reason which partly speaks for what I would assume to be low sales for Nikon 1 cameras and also Pentax Q, compared to other mirrorless system available.

Eventually I think that I can see the Canon and Nikon for example, to start putting decent eyeviewfinders into their dslrs to replace the current mirrordesigns.

The K01 might have been a success, had it been less wildly designed.  I hope at least that Ricoh stick to the point of creating their own mount with very short flange back distance sooner rather than later. That would make good sense to me and probably others as well. Them might share that mount with Pentax and cooperate about produce lenses for it.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
iaredatsun
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?

Joel Stern wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/02/25/Pentax-Ricoh-discontinues-K-01-k-mount-mirrorless-camera-after-1-year?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=generic

I was going to announce that it signifies the end of the World, or at least the end of all cameras with the Ricoh name attached to them. Then I remembered that the renowned harbinger of doom, Rattymouse wouldn't miss an opportunity.

iaredatsun's gear list:iaredatsun's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital +5 more
Tom Caldwell
Like?
In reply to schaki, Feb 26, 2013

schaki wrote:

NEXFULLFRAME wrote:

I guess so too. At least that is what mirrorless cameras with mounts is about to me - try to keep it small with good image quality. That is probably also one reason which partly speaks for what I would assume to be low sales for Nikon 1 cameras and also Pentax Q, compared to other mirrorless system available.

Eventually I think that I can see the Canon and Nikon for example, to start putting decent eyeviewfinders into their dslrs to replace the current mirrordesigns.

The K01 might have been a success, had it been less wildly designed. I hope at least that Ricoh stick to the point of creating their own mount with very short flange back distance sooner rather than later. That would make good sense to me and probably others as well. Them might share that mount with Pentax and cooperate about produce lenses for it.

So while we are being suitably wild - how about a lens mount that fits LM flanges and general specifications but has electronic contacts built in?  Best of all worlds?

Allows existing LM lenses to continue to be used as manual lenses and also all other lenses that can be adapted to it.  None of this nonsense about yet anther mount system and no lenses that can be used on it. Just leverage on an existing widely accepted mount specification.

Obviously lenses made to fit this specification would be rangefinder-size compact.

Those already set up with RF lenses need do no more and also such a specification would be extendable to FF sensor image circle specifications by default.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?
In reply to iaredatsun, Feb 26, 2013

iaredatsun wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/02/25/Pentax-Ricoh-discontinues-K-01-k-mount-mirrorless-camera-after-1-year?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=generic

I was going to announce that it signifies the end of the World, or at least the end of all cameras with the Ricoh name attached to them. Then I remembered that the renowned harbinger of doom, Rattymouse wouldn't miss an opportunity.

Grin - over to you Ratty - do your darndest ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406
Like?

Inevitable. Many of us called it a failure in the strongest possible terms right on launch day or soon thereafter.

sroute
Like?

The Newson design was a failure.

Had they applied his design eye to a truly compact camera, then perhaps there'd have been a saleable winner as a result.

My guess: Pentax designed the K-01 using their standard approach and the result - an ugly brick of a camera - was deemed unsaleable. "Who would buy that?", remarked Kontiki-san in sales. "Only someone with the face of a donkey to match!" exclaimed Norikomaki-san.

Instead of working on the specs (a big bulky APS-C camera designed for full size lenses from their DSLR line needs a VIEWFINDER among other attributes) they decided to... wait for it...

PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG.

The K-01 goes to show that dressing up a bad idea isn't a good plan.

aleksanderpolo
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?

The K01 is a worst of both world product: No short flange distance and EVF of the mirrorless + No OVF of the DSLR.  I cannot think of any reason why it exist except to cut cost. Hope that Pentax learn a lesson and stop trying to advance by offering less.

I am afraid if they make a K mount for GXR it will fail for similar reason - the point of mirrorless is size.

Tom Caldwell
Like?
In reply to sroute, Feb 26, 2013

sroute wrote:

The Newson design was a failure.

Had they applied his design eye to a truly compact camera, then perhaps there'd have been a saleable winner as a result.

My guess: Pentax designed the K-01 using their standard approach and the result - an ugly brick of a camera - was deemed unsaleable. "Who would buy that?", remarked Kontiki-san in sales. "Only someone with the face of a donkey to match!" exclaimed Norikomaki-san.

Instead of working on the specs (a big bulky APS-C camera designed for full size lenses from their DSLR line needs a VIEWFINDER among other attributes) they decided to... wait for it...

PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG.

The K-01 goes to show that dressing up a bad idea isn't a good plan.

Funny (laugh)  There must be a few donkey faces around the world.  Even enough to clear warehouses would be quite a few.  Maybe with some luck they were in a warehouse taken our by natural disaster (sick joke)

One might wonder if they gave Marc Newson a working chassis and told him to slip something comfortable around it?  Or he designed the box and they fitted the components in afterwards?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Like?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Feb 26, 2013

aleksanderpolo wrote:

The K01 is a worst of both world product: No short flange distance and EVF of the mirrorless + No OVF of the DSLR. I cannot think of any reason why it exist except to cut cost. Hope that Pentax learn a lesson and stop trying to advance by offering less.

I am afraid if they make a K mount for GXR it will fail for similar reason - the point of mirrorless is size.

I suggest that Pentax cut the cost and Ricoh paid.

I also agree that a direct K mount module for the GXR would also suffer a similar fate - at least Ricoh might put the buttons and levers in useful places - however what might make more sense if it could be done is to redesign an LM mount with electrical contacts that would interface to a PK mount adapter.  Therefore the module could be used without the adapter for normal LM mount lenses and electrical signals could pass through the adapter to regular PK mount lenses.

This could lead the way to Ricoh-M lenses that could use the mount directly - the same mount immediately accessing a wide range of existing lenses and also paving the way for a proper auto-RF size lens range that could image circle on FF sensors if desired.

Luckily I am not charged with making such a cross compatible mount actually work.  Like: where would you place the electrical contacts inside an LM mount and retain backwards compatibility?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

sroute
Like?
In reply to sroute, Feb 26, 2013

As a photographic instrument the camera no doubt delivers. It might not be my idea of an ergonomic dream camera but that doesn't mean it isn't useful.

Useful doesn't always mean saleable and that's the key issue here - Pentax Ricoh have canned the product because of poor sales, not because it won't take pretty pictures.

When it was introduced I had a hard time believing the camera would appeal to folks outside Pentax's base of existing K mount lens users. Maybe they thought K mount compatibility was enough of a value proposition.

Apparently not.

cpceter
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

Soon really cheap 2nd-hand body + 24mm K-mount glass + Olly 35mm optical finder = albeit bulky but high IQ zone focus manual streeshooter for say <$400 ??????

abluesky
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?

Have any of you guys actually used the K01?

I got one to supplement my GRD4 and I've been blown away.

Planning on investing in the K mount now.

There is something simply odd about how disconnected the criticism of the camera is from actual use.

abluesky's gear list:abluesky's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads