Panasonic G7 speculation

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
Davey1
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Panasonic G7 speculation
Feb 25, 2013

The G7 is rumored to be coming out in the not so distant future.

Do you think it will have the GH3 sensor & IQ?

If it does and keeps current G5 form / flip LCD etc. they could differentiate with video features + a few less physical controls.

Canon PowerShot G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,087Gear list
Like?
Don't think so
In reply to Davey1, Feb 25, 2013

Davey1 wrote:

If it does and keeps current G5 form / flip LCD etc. they could differentiate with video features + a few less physical controls.

1st, by what measure is it "not so distant?" It probably will be less than 2 years, but more than 6 months.

G1 - October 2008

G2 - March 2010 (17 months)

G3 - May 2011 (14 months)

G5 - July 2012 (14 months)

Statistically speaking, G7 is not likely to be announced before September 2013, may be later. Availability can be delayed another couple of months.

2. The GH1 sensor never made it into the G series; The GH2 sensor was put only in G5, almost 2 years after it became available, and only two generations later. So I would not expect GH3 sensor in the G series before G8. G7 may have it's own improvements though, like G3 did.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't think so
In reply to Vlad S, Feb 25, 2013

Vlad S wrote:

Davey1 wrote:

1st, by what measure is it "not so distant?" It probably will be less than 2 years, but more than 6 months.

G1 - October 2008

G2 - March 2010 (17 months)

G3 - May 2011 (14 months)

G5 - July 2012 (14 months)

Statistically speaking, G7 is not likely to be announced before September 2013, may be later. Availability can be delayed another couple of months.

2. The GH1 sensor never made it into the G series; The GH2 sensor was put only in G5, almost 2 years after it became available, and only two generations later. So I would not expect GH3 sensor in the G series before G8. G7 may have it's own improvements though, like G3 did.

"Past history is not an indication of future performance".

This orderly progression with sensor technology being purposefully withheld for significant amounts of time from lower models met with some success against the background of the entire Olympus line being starved of any sensor progress. The desire to stick to this slow progression for the lower lines has cost the G5, especially considering that Olympus has propagated its best sensor technology to its lowest line.

Using sensor technology to differentiate a product line is now not very fashionable. The pricing of the GH3 may cause Panasonic to stick to this policy for as long as possible. If so it's not as if there are no Olympus alternatives when anyone wants to get a new M43 camera.

Plus it's not as if there could not be a G6.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G7 speculation

Davey1 wrote:

It is a mystery, I think they will launch first the new camera with the form of a GX1 and with built in EVF on the top left. Then the G6 maybe already with the new technology announced recently.

Panasonic Develops Technology for Highly Sensitive Image Sensors Using Micro Color Splitters

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,177
Like?
Re: Panasonic G7 speculation

When I had an FZ50 all I wanted Panasonic to do was give me the same camera modified with the benefit of two years technology.  Instead they decided to stop that devlopment path.

When I had an E620 all I wanted Olympus to do was give me the same camera modified with the benefit of two years technology.  Instead they decided to stop that devlopment path.

Now I have a G5 all I want Panasonic to do is give me the same camera modified with the benefit of a  years technology.  I'm not holding my breath.

-- hide signature --
Vlad S
Like?
Re: Don't think so
In reply to tt321, Feb 25, 2013

tt321 wrote:

"Past history is not an indication of future performance".

Nevertheless, in the absence of a crystal ball this is the best we can do.

The pricing of the GH3 may cause Panasonic to stick to this policy for as long as possible. If so it's not as if there are no Olympus alternatives when anyone wants to get a new M43 camera.

There are Olympus alternatives to the G series, but no analogues. The feature sets are quite different. I think that G3 is much more of a competition to G5 than any Olympus camera.

Plus it's not as if there could not be a G6.

Yes, I fell for the OP's jumping right to G7. There probably will be a G6 at the end of 2013, and a G7 in 2014 or early 2015; and the GH3 sensor might make it to G7 about two years from today, or it might not.

Vlad

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Davey1
Like?
G7 spec
In reply to Vlad S, Feb 26, 2013

Firstly Vlad, the G7 rumor is on m43rumors he's posted a m43 road map for 2013 showing a G7 in Spring
I don't know why they skip 6 or when it'll ship but I would expect before the summer.
Panasonic have held their best sensor for the flag ship historically but oly have put em5 sensor in all cameras so maybe Panasonic will follow this.

I hope the next G series will essentially be a watered down GH3 it would suit me well

One_Oldman_4U
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G7 speculation - LOL
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 26, 2013

...maybe if you stop waiting they will build it...hehehe.

I'm waiting for the O-MD EM-7 myself so my daughter can have my EM-5  

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
BigBarney
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722
Like?
Oh to see ourselves as others see us!
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 26, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

When I had an FZ50 all I wanted Panasonic to do was give me the same camera modified with the benefit of two years technology. Instead they decided to stop that devlopment path.

When I had an E620 all I wanted Olympus to do was give me the same camera modified with the benefit of two years technology. Instead they decided to stop that devlopment path.

Now I have a G5 all I want Panasonic to do is give me the same camera modified with the benefit of a years technology. I'm not holding my breath.

Trevor, I suspect that part of the problem you perceived in the past was simply down to you not being the customer Panasonic or Olympus was developing for. When this whole m43 business started in 2008 both Panasonic and Olympus made it very clear that the system was aimed squarely at point and shoot camera upgraders. It was only later that they discovered that a majority of their customers outside Japan were in fact SLR sidegraders or downgraders, depending on the terms you want to use.

Arguably Panasonic did not stop the FZ50 development path, rather they diverted it into the FZ150 and FZ200 development paths for a different set of consumers.

Arguably Olympus have not stopped their 43 dSLR development path, they have diverted it into the E-M5 and possibly will return to it when they make the rumoured combined CDAF/PDAF successor to the E-M5.

It seems that Panasonic are at last doing much more market research outside Japan, witness their statements about the GH3 specifications being based on the feedback they had from GH2 users mostly in the video arena in Europe, North America and Australasia.

These forums are undoubtedly read by observers from Panasonic and Olympus, but I suspect that both companies are wise enough to develop new models based on what their independent market research tells them rather than what potential trolls and fanboys say in forums (not that I am for a moment suggesting that you are either of these!).

So, it could just be that you are not numerically significant enough as a potential customer.

P.S. I hope I recognise that I too am an oddball customer as an apprentice giant who is obliged to shoot everything one-handed. When I used to work in Japan, I became accustomed to questions about how I managed to become so tall - all very tactfully put of course.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,720Gear list
Like?
If there was some sort of basis for this speculation...
In reply to Davey1, Feb 26, 2013

…it could be quite interesting. But as it is it is just totally empty, from where I sit.

A "what if G6" thread deservedly died a death after about 10 posts  a few days ago and now we have a "what if G7" thread.

Let's get back to reality and await at least the distant sound of drums!

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: G7 spec

Davey1 wrote:

Firstly Vlad, the G7 rumor is on m43rumors he's posted a m43 road map for 2013 showing a G7 in Spring
I don't know why they skip 6 or when it'll ship but I would expect before the summer.
Panasonic have held their best sensor for the flag ship historically but oly have put em5 sensor in all cameras so maybe Panasonic will follow this.

I hope the next G series will essentially be a watered down GH3 it would suit me well

GH2, with better processing, buffer and 1080p50 and of course MAR is all that was ever needed, not that great big GH3 lump!

Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353Gear list
Like?
Re: G7 spec
In reply to Adventsam, Feb 26, 2013

I think it's partly that big to get rid of the heat for continuous high-bitrate video shooting, which is a big chunk of the market for it. You could get lots of hacked firmwares for the GH2, but they did cook it a bit, which is why Panasonic didn't do their own... On the up side that does suggest the G7 might get the new sensor which the Japanese magazine's rumour page does suggest for Mar-Apr (though I agree that does seem early, but depends on G5 sales I guess, plus possibly GH3 cannibalisation.)

http://www.canonwatch.com/nippon-camera-magazine-predicts-next-canon-announcements-70d-t5i-eos-me-7d2-3d/

1 for 1 so far, but it is all just their best guess...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Vlad S
Like?
But does it pass the sanity check?

Davey1 wrote:

I am not questioning whether there was a roadmap rumored. I am offering my opinion of the likelihood that the rumor is correct. All I am saying, is that a 9 month update time between models has never happened before in this system, and it's at least 50% shorter than the typical update time.

I also personally think that it does not make business sense for Panasonic. I think it would be more likely if they released a model parallel to G5, like they did with G10 parallel to G2. But G10 was a flop, so I suspect they will not try to release another body that's neither here nor there.

Panasonic and Olympus each have been doing pretty much their own thing. Again, if we look at the past experience there is no telling what Panasonic would do based on the Olympus releases.

Vlad

Davey1
Like?
will new G series have GH3 sensor?
In reply to Hen3ry, Feb 27, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

…it could be quite interesting. But as it is it is just totally empty, from where I sit.

A "what if G6" thread deservedly died a death after about 10 posts a few days ago and now we have a "what if G7" thread.

Let's get back to reality and await at least the distant sound of drums!

Cheers, geoff

I didn't notice the G6 thread Geoff so apologies if that covered my question.

I don't think it's totally empty speculation - Panasonic will launch a G5 successor this year (next few months according to the rumor site) and I'm interested to know if they'll include the GH3 sensor. Although I suspect no one on this forum actually knows the answer I still think it's a reasonable question to ask / muse on.

I've come close to buying both the EM5 and GH3 - I had a 30% off deal with Lumix UK and tried the camera twice but I wasn't completely sold. The EM5 likewise, they're both decent cameras but neither ticks all my boxes. The GH3 is larger than I'd like and the EVF is not quite as good as it could be. The EM5 is too small for me without the landscape grip - it does feel just right with it on but then I loose the flip LCD and I'm invested in Panasonic lenses so that doesn't stack up perfectly either. So, I just continue to happily use my G3 until something better comes along.

I think the key reason to change would be top of range IQ. Historically Panasonic have used sensors to differentiate models. Now that Olympus is using a high performance sensor for all(?) new models it might signal a change in Panasonic's position?

If this is the case I would be very happy, a G series with GH3 / EM5 like IQ would float my boat.

Steve
Senior MemberPosts: 2,288Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G7 speculation - LOL
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, Jul 30, 2013

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

...maybe if you stop waiting they will build it...hehehe.

I'm waiting for the O-MD EM-7 myself so my daughter can have my EM-5

mee tooooo...

unless the G7 hits the spot...

Steve's gear list:Steve's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens
Franz Weber
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
It has been a year now
In reply to Davey1, 3 months ago

It has been a year now since the G6 was announced. And I really want an upgrade of my favorite camera.

The G6 has the best ergonomics of all m43 cameras and the perfect size to me. But I would love the better sensors of  the GX7 or GH3 and an decent IBIS.

Come on even the EPL 5 has a better sensor than the G6. Give us an upgrade to this nice camera.

-- hide signature --

allways look on the bright side of live!

Franz Weber's gear list:Franz Weber's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Burnfoot
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
Re: It has been a year now
In reply to Franz Weber, 3 months ago

It has been a year now since the G6 was announced. And I really want an upgrade of my favorite camera.

The G6 has the best ergonomics of all m43 cameras and the perfect size to me. But I would love the better sensors of  the GX7 or GH3 and an decent IBIS.

Come on even the EPL 5 has a better sensor than the G6. Give us an upgrade to this nice camera.

-- hide signature --

Two different sources have told me there will be no G7 this year and it's quite possible the G-series will be dropped due to bad sales. I think your best bet is a GH3 which will not be discontinued but offered at a lower price point.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,720Gear list
Like?
Cutting the G3 series and continuing the GH3…
In reply to Burnfoot, 3 months ago

…at a lower price would be Panasonic shooting themselves in the foot. The GH3 is not a G6 replacement.

I for one would never buy a GH3. Too big. I would hold on to the G6 until it crumbled in many hands, then possibly get a GX8 or 9 or whatever -- if it had graduated to a fully articulated screen.

Having the GX7 and the G7 with very similar internals but different shapes and price points would be Panasonic being smart -- it would be matching the Olympus coverage of the middle-higher end of the market.

I don't believe the G6 is a market failure. Look at how its new price is holding up and few used examples are available. If Panny hasn't noticed that, then it is blind, deaf, and stupid.

So come good, Panny, not necessarily this year, but next, with a G7 with the new sensor. IBIS? I'm not concerned about, but if you like…

Burnfoot wrote:

The G6 has the best ergonomics of all m43 cameras and the perfect size to me. But I would love the better sensors of the GX7 or GH3 and an decent IBIS.

-- hide signature --

Two different sources have told me there will be no G7 this year and it's quite possible the G-series will be dropped due to bad sales. I think your best bet is a GH3 which will not be discontinued but offered at a lower price point.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
DMikey
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: Cutting the G3 series asnd continuing the GH3…
In reply to Hen3ry, 3 months ago

Wondering if it will be yet another 6 months or more for a G7. I would think Panasonic will protect sales of the GH4 as the hot model for a while. After that, the new focusing method that the GH4 uses might be moved down the product line to the G7. After all, it's a big deal for photo shooting even more so than video. Video reviews of the GH4 showed it to be breathtakingly fast, and capable of tracking as well as anything on the market. In short, a major advance for m4/3. I just hope financial problems don't keep them from producing it. It's like their plasma tv's - best on the market, then withdrawn. Frustrating.

Ixon
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
Re: Cutting the G3 series asnd continuing the GH3…
In reply to DMikey, 3 months ago

Tbh i really think they use the same sensor that been used in both the G5 & G6 and improve processing part of it that all.

The G7 will just be a gradual improvement over the G6, things like buffer speed, better EVF maybe, increasing fps, added more silly filters & a slight design change & maybe some slight improvement in video other than that don't expect much more.

Main reason for this is because if they do improve a lot on the G7 then this could cut into sales of the higher end camera's if it offers the same sensor & features as say the GX7 or GH3 even.

Ixon's gear list:Ixon's gear list
Motorola Moto X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads