Just bought K5 w/ 18-135 kit - Price Announcement for those interested ($999.00)

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
ThomCull
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Just bought K5 w/ 18-135 kit - Price Announcement for those interested ($999.00)
Feb 25, 2013

Hello everyone!

So I sold off almost all of my Canon Rebel and gear for the K5 and 18-135 kit. Considering the only "decent" lens I had was the 50mm f/1.8 I don't think I'll lose much lens IQ wise in the trade off. I'm excited to join the group and contribute, this will be a major step up from the film and Digital Rebels I've been using.

I do have a couple of random questions:

1) How well does the 11-pt AF work with BIF? Considering I was using a 350D I think it will be a major improvement, however it would be nice to hear some real life experiences?

2) Also as far as WR, living on the east coast of Canada (Newfoundland) it's moist, really moist; how well does the WR stand up to just pure foggy, humid, wet environments? Should I still invest in a cover?

- Regards, I'm sure there are more questions to come.
Thomas

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ThomCull
Like?
Re: Just bought K5 w/ 18-135 kit - Price Announcement for those interested ($999.00)
In reply to ThomCull, Feb 25, 2013

P.S. I bought it at Henry's Canada for $999.00, 44 left.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 780Gear list
Like?
Re: Just bought K5 w/ 18-135 kit - Price Announcement for those interested ($999.00)

That's a good deal. When I bought my k5, the body alone was going for that price. With the 18-135(a very useful lens,btw) going for probably about 500 bucks, you're looking at about 50 percent off the original price. Nice.

If you're near the ocean, the wr should be quite helpful. Have fun!

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Peteo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,603Gear list
Like?

That's a great deal, you'll enjoy that setup.  I know I love mine.

Scott

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
Richard the picture man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,851
Like?
In reply to Peteo, Feb 25, 2013

Good decision Thomas, if you get as much satisfaction as I do with mine, you will be very, very happy.

My kit is very simple, K5 + Sigma 17-70 + Sigma 10-20 + Tamron 70-300 + Pentax 18-55 WR for wet days and an old Vivitar 285 flash. I have used this gear for hobby as well as paid work with K100d, K20d and now the K5. None of the cameras have given me bother and I get more satisfaction every day I operate them.

Have fun and please post some pictures.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,391Gear list
Like?
For any Aussies interested in K5 + 18-55 ---
In reply to ThomCull, Feb 26, 2013

... "dcxpert" ebay store is offering it - new - for $899 AUD. Wow. About half the price I paid for them. I suppose they're just trying to move left over stock.

Dcxpert, btw, is, I think, CR Kennedy's ebay outlet. I've purchase a Sigma lens from them and a Slik tripod. Both were at great prices, shipped within 1 day and exactly as described.

-- hide signature --

Mike M. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

ThomCull
Like?

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I'm sure my kit will be a joy to use. I'm weary of the DA* motor issues but I feel like my needs are more than met by third-party manufacturers for my hobby. Mostly just documenting my expeditions with my girlfriend around Canada, and once graduated hopefully the world.

For now the east coast will serve as a stomping ground, and I'm excited to really push this camera to its limits.

Regards,

Thomas

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,677Gear list
Like?

WR with that combo will not be a problem, i use it all the time in pouring Rain & Fog.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
jm_mac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?

Welcome!

I had a couple of DRebXT's a few years ago.  Nice little lightweight DSLRs.  But I think you will enjoy your new Pentax kit very much - it's my main kit as well.  Plus, you're saving a few hundred dollars compared to what a lot of us paid for ours!

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Pentax K-01 Canon EOS M Pentax K-5 IIs +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads