Please recommend a powered HDMI splitter with remote control

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
gs85739az
Contributing MemberPosts: 731
Like?
Please recommend a powered HDMI splitter with remote control
Feb 25, 2013

Wish to attach between Mac Mini, Roku Box and Comcast Cable Box, switch channels with remote to Panasonic Viera Plasma TV set.

Tried Portta PET0301S 3x1 HDMI Switcher Support 3D, two different units, it set up easily, the remote would switch between channels, BUT..it would constantly lose signal to TV or switch to Roku channel every 5 minutes or so...then I could click the channel with the little remote included, but this dismal action would only repeats itself within a few minutes at most...

Tried several Portta 3X1 Switchers, but both behaved the same, constantly dropping signal or switching to another channel...

The Portta 3X1 Switcher has a little input for 5 watts, but NO plug in, they say it'll be powered by the HDMI, but I'm wondering about that...

Read several on line forums, but some recommend a "powered" HDMI unit, please advise...

seho
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
Re: Please recommend a powered HDMI splitter with remote control
In reply to gs85739az, Feb 25, 2013

Monoprice 4x4 Matrix HDMI switch and splitter. (It's eventually going to upgrade a church's AV infrastructure when time constraints ease up here, but setup testing worked just as advertised.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gs85739az
Like?
In reply to seho, Feb 27, 2013

Ordered a 4X2 unit from Monoprice, will update once it's installed...thank you SO much!

jdurant
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, Feb 27, 2013

I have one and I'll agree that the HDMI splitters from Monoprice are good. However, in the long run, you are probably better off getting a receiver with 5-7 hdmi inputs in the back. It will simplify your whole setup a lot more.

gs85739az
Like?
In reply to jdurant, Mar 1, 2013

What is a receiver "with 5-7 HDMI inputs on the back"?  A TV, I already have a TV..Panasonic Viera with "only" two HDMI inputs on the back,naturally if this TV needs replacing, I'll certainly get a TV with as many HDMI and other inputs as possible, this TV is 5 years old and was considered a good machine when bought, it's picture is really great in HD, but Plasmas seem to have somewhat of a short lag when changing channels, other than that, it's really nice 42".

btw, the Monoprice powered 4X2 with remote arrive overnight delivery for less than Amazon Prime!

easily installed and works PERFECT, thanks for DPR poster, they make things better...:-)

jdurant
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, Mar 1, 2013

gs85739az wrote:

What is a receiver "with 5-7 HDMI inputs on the back"? A TV, I already have a TV..Panasonic Viera with "only" two HDMI inputs on the back,naturally if this TV needs replacing, I'll certainly get a TV with as many HDMI and other inputs as possible, this TV is 5 years old and was considered a good machine when bought, it's picture is really great in HD, but Plasmas seem to have somewhat of a short lag when changing channels, other than that, it's really nice 42".

btw, the Monoprice powered 4X2 with remote arrive overnight delivery for less than Amazon Prime!

easily installed and works PERFECT, thanks for DPR poster, they make things better...:-)

An A/V receiver (think stereo). Lifehacker recently had a roundup of good ones (see the link below, I realize true audiophiles will disagree with that assessment). The switcher works well for what it is, but its another remote that has to be added to your collection. A good receiver makes it easier to integrate all your various media components (TV, DVD, Roku) as well as allowing you to hook up a good speaker system.

http://lifehacker.com/5986950/most-popular-av-receiver-onkyo-tx+nr-series

gs85739az
Like?
In reply to jdurant, Mar 2, 2013

WOW, I see what you mean!  Nice....seems to have all the techie bases covered too...

aethelbuz
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, Mar 4, 2013

What you need is a high quality HDMI Switch that is EDID and HDCP compliant. I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they offer a wide range of hi-end HDMI Switch solutions ( Part # HDSWTH3D-4).

joephil
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, Mar 4, 2013

What you need is a high quality HDMI Switch that is EDID and HDCP compliant. I would recommend checking (Part # HDSWTH3D-4) in Google, I am quite sure you will get a product for your need.

aethelbuz
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, Apr 1, 2013

You always want to use a powered HDMI Switch that is EDID and HDCP compliant. These cheap units don't work as advertised. I would recommend checking Part # HDSWTH3D-4.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads