1DX+24-70 I

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
barbuvasile
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
1DX+24-70 I
Feb 25, 2013

I did a wedding last weekend and almost all day I used the 1dx along with 24-70 I. I'm pretty happy with the results for one that always uses fixed lenses .... Now my question is: it is worth the new 24-70, because there is a big money difference between two.

Thanxs,
this are the images: http://vasilebarbu.com/?p=21

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fog Maker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145
Like?
Re: 1DX+24-70 I
In reply to barbuvasile, Feb 25, 2013

barbuvasile wrote:

I did a wedding last weekend and almost all day I used the 1dx along with 24-70 I. I'm pretty happy with the results for one that always uses fixed lenses .... Now my question is: it is worth the new 24-70, because there is a big money difference between two.

Thanxs,
this are the images: http://vasilebarbu.com/?p=21

-- hide signature --

I Love my 24-70 I and have no plans to upgrade before it breaks. Let your results speak for itself.

(you often hear people say it is soft wide open, mine really isn't. An in my humble opionion has nicer bokeh than the new one. Colour and contrast I really can't judge since I haven't shot with the lens - some say the older is better here, others the new one, but I am totally satisfied with what I see in my lens. The new one is indeed sharper, maybe except at 70mm, but in people's photography as opposed to landscape photography, I really can't see that much of a benefit for an immediate upgrade)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
barbuvasile
Like?
In reply to Fog Maker, Feb 25, 2013

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

mu55
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300Gear list
Like?
In reply to barbuvasile, Feb 26, 2013

I used to own the 28-70L, i've shot with a good copy of the 24-70v1 and i've bought and returned 3 copies of the new 24-70mk2 and tried 2 others in-store, plus borrowed one from a canon rep...
I can see the potential in the new version, it's disappointing i haven't found an ideal copy yet but i've seen really sharp results in places, really good contrast and colours and very little distortion, focusing is fast but not as noticeable over the 28-70 that i had as i'd expected.

The problems i've found are mainly soft sides at f8 and one that wasn't sharp at close focus distances (halination??).

I do see the differences and will buy a mk2 version but i don't think it's $1000 better than the 1st version... it is $1500 better than the 28-70L though, much more usable wide open and the extra 4mm.

mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
John P Roskos
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?

I had the 24-70 I and did upgrade to the 24-70 II an use on a 1DX, I found the II to focus faster and give me sharper results in comparison to my I. Before I purchased the II I rented one for comparison to my I and after comparing decided to upgrade. I first sold my I on ebay end of 2012 and one older digital camera so to upgrade was 400 dollars.

barbuvasile
Like?
In reply to John P Roskos, Feb 26, 2013

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Ecorone
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?

I agree with Fogmaker. I have good copy of the 24-70 Mk1 that I've used for 4 years that has never let me down. I tested out a Mk2 and decided definitively that I would not be upgrading to the Mk2.

The main advantage of the Mk2 that I could see is that it is a bit sharper at f/2.8 and that it's better at the very corners. In my own tests, I couldn't see significant differences between the lenses at f/3.2 and smaller except at the very corners.

For your type of shooting, edge-to-edge sharpness doesn't matter too often because the extreme corners of your frames are almost always part of the background bokeh. (If you were a landscape guy, the Mk2 would be a lot more compelling).

The other glaring difference to me is the way that the starburst/sunburst pattern is different in the Mk2. I know a lot of people love the newer lens' super starburst pattern but I prefer the more understated look of the Mk1.

I doubt that there would be any discernable difference in print if you shot them with a Mark 2 vs with your Mark 1. Two questions to ask yourself: 1) Do you think you're losing clients because you're not using a Mark 2? and 2) Do you think your clients would pay 20% more for your shots if you had a Mk2 instead?

Your pictures are terrific. I would be willing to bet that the answer is 'no' to both questions.

Ecorone's gear list:Ecorone's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
vangelisBsb
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?

nice!

thank you,

vangelisBsb's gear list:vangelisBsb's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads