SPP questions

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Questions
nandadevieast
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
SPP questions
Feb 25, 2013

Hi,

I have few questions, hope someone can answer them for me...

1) When i open an image in SPP, it doesn't resemble the in camera JPEG. How do i achieve that?

2) When i cook an image in SPP, it loses all the changes once i close the program. Is there anyway i can change this behaviour. Can i save presets (pre cooked settings like LR) in SPP?

3) Monochrome: I am yet to play with this. Those of you who have used this mode, is there any advantage of using this over channel-mixer in Photoshop? How should they be any different?

regards,

nandadevieast

ANSWER:
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,152Gear list
Like?
Re: SPP questions
In reply to nandadevieast, Feb 25, 2013

nandadevieast wrote:

Hi,

1) When i open an image in SPP, it doesn't resemble the in camera JPEG. How do i achieve that?

The in-camera JPG is created by a specialized chip in the camera, so sometimes it's a bit hard to get your output image to look like it.

I think the closest way is to use the Neutral color mode, and Auto WB.  If the colors still seem a bit off try adding +0.3 saturation in SPP.

2) When i cook an image in SPP, it loses all the changes once i close the program. Is there anyway i can change this behaviour. Can i save presets (pre cooked settings like LR) in SPP?

You can save settings into each file (the "Save X3F" button, or checking "save settings to X3F" when you export).

Also you can save adjustment settings as a preset to apply to multiple images - in the adjustment settings panel there should be a button to save presets.  Note that previously some settings, like noise reduction, would not be saved into these presets - not sure if that is still true.

3) Monochrome: I am yet to play with this. Those of you who have used this mode, is there any advantage of using this over channel-mixer in Photoshop? How should they be any different?

The Monochrome mode is a totally different raw processing pipeline than the color one.

Using the channel-mixer in Photoshop only gives you results as good as the color conversion.  Using SPP Monochrome you can get sharper results at higher ISO, and also possibly smoother tonal transitions.  It also better approximates the application of color filters since it's mixing the results of data captured at each layer rather than on the final color the image has after combining layers.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nandadevieast
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Re: SPP questions
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Feb 26, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

nandadevieast wrote:

Hi,

The in-camera JPG is created by a specialized chip in the camera, so sometimes it's a bit hard to get your output image to look like it.

I think the closest way is to use the Neutral color mode, and Auto WB. If the colors still seem a bit off try adding +0.3 saturation in SPP.

You can save settings into each file (the "Save X3F" button, or checking "save settings to X3F" when you export).

Also you can save adjustment settings as a preset to apply to multiple images - in the adjustment settings panel there should be a button to save presets. Note that previously some settings, like noise reduction, would not be saved into these presets - not sure if that is still true.

The Monochrome mode is a totally different raw processing pipeline than the color one.

Using the channel-mixer in Photoshop only gives you results as good as the color conversion. Using SPP Monochrome you can get sharper results at higher ISO, and also possibly smoother tonal transitions. It also better approximates the application of color filters since it's mixing the results of data captured at each layer rather than on the final color the image has after combining layers.

Kendall, thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads