Good Hand Strap for NEX

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
Riquez
Contributing MemberPosts: 702Gear list
Like?
Good Hand Strap for NEX
Feb 25, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has advice on what hand strap to get?

I looked at the Sony STP-HS1AM  - but it seems that accessing the SD card or battery might be a problem as a plate screws onto the tripod mount.

Is that always the case for a hand strap? I would really prefer one that didnt mean I have to constantly unscrew it to access SD card.

Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,475Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Hand Strap for NEX
In reply to Riquez, Feb 25, 2013

I only use a wrist strap, I made one from a narrow nylon shoulder/neck strap.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dpmaxwell
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?

Riquez wrote:

I looked at the Sony STP-HS1AM - but it seems that accessing the SD card or battery might be a problem as a plate screws onto the tripod mount.

Is that always the case for a hand strap? I would really prefer one that didnt mean I have to constantly unscrew it to access SD card.

I am using this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00137NMMW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to work well for the NEX.  I'm not sure they really need the extra beefiness that comes from attaching them to the tripod mount.  Depends on your usage I guess, as is typical.

dpmaxwell's gear list:dpmaxwell's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

Riquez wrote:

I looked at the Sony STP-HS1AM - but it seems that accessing the SD card or battery might be a problem as a plate screws onto the tripod mount.

The best hand strap for my smaller size cameras are the ones I make using paracord. I just run the paracord through the loops and tie it off. It is light does its job and does not get in my way.

I will get a pic tomorrow to show it on a 5n.

wll

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

I think the standard Sony wrist strap works well (for my uses)

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Feb 25, 2013

martindesu wrote:

That looks nice and clean, I like it.

wll

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,989Gear list
Like?

Riquez wrote:

I got something similar to that for my DSLR; I don't think I considered trying that for my Nex.  A larger, heavier camera like a DSLR is better with something like this than a small strap, but I figure for my Nex, I can use something smaller.

And the neck strap that comes with the Nex is not too bad.  It folds up fairly compactly when necessary.

I bought a cheap hand strap off of fleaBay and attach it to the side loop of my Nex-5.  No big deal.  Seems to be OK, it at least seems more comfortable than something like paracord.  It's leather, and has a lot of "give" in it, so I imagine it's not too strong, but so far so good.  I don't want a typical P&S hand strap because the cord to tie it off at the camera is way too tiny.  So, I'm taking a chance on the leather strap.

Sometimes I prefer to hang the camera around my neck for convenience, but the hand strap gives it a P&S feel and makes it a bit easier to stuff into a pocket.

I also have a slightly-larger neckstrap that I could use, which might be more comfortable, but it would be even more bulky when stowing the camera away.  I'm trying the wrist-strap as it's comfortable and easier to store (say, in a pocket).  I got the Nex for the small size, so I might as well use it for that.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Kalabalik
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Feb 25, 2013

martindesu wrote:

I can't find this strap. Do you have a link?

Kalabalik's gear list:Kalabalik's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
technologiq
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
 technologiq's gear list:technologiq's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended +4 more
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
Gordy's

I use a Gordy's leather wrist strap

they are hand made in the U.S. and come in a varity of color choices

you can find them here Gordy's

they are a little stiff when they are brand new, but after you break them in they are great - very strong and also hood looking

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
karl722
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Toma!

I love my Toma leather wrist strap.   It's very robustly built and looks fantastic, like it was custom made for the NEX-6.  Best all has this great semi-rigid shape that makes is very unlikely to spontaneously slip off your hand, without having to tighten it around your wrist (which could get uncomfortable).

I really can't recommend it enough.

http://www.lovecases.co.uk/toma-genuine-leather-hand-wrist-strap-for-compact-system-cameras-black.html

(though I'm in the US, so I bought mine directly from the manufacturer on ebay)

I have no affiliation with them, other than being a very happy customer.

Riquez
Like?
In reply to Riquez, Mar 5, 2013

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Toma one looks quite nice I think.

I was aiming more for a secure hand strap like the STP-HS1AM rather than a regular wrist strap though. The kind that 'clamp' onto your hand.

I have the standard neck strap, but the problem is that its often dangling around & getting in the way. Around your neck isn't always convenient when you reaching over/under/around objects to get the right angle.

I usually wrap the neck strap around my arm, but its just seems to get in the way more often than not.

The ideal solution would be a neck strap that you can easily adjust converting it to a hand strap style. I don't know if such a thing exists.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Mar 5, 2013

Kalabalik wrote:

martindesu wrote:

I can't find this strap. Do you have a link?

Yeah, it's this one.

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
ChangshaNotes
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Mar 5, 2013

martindesu wrote:

I use this exact same strap and it's been great.

ChangshaNotes's gear list:ChangshaNotes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Apple Aperture +7 more
neo_nights
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?

I've just bought one of these and are (and look) really nice and secure on hands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARIZ-Leather-Wrist-Finger-Strap-Black-Red-XS-WFSN2-M43-Sony-NEX-Lumix-Olympus-/181067778496?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item2a287b09c0

-- hide signature --

I'm lazy to post my pics here. So you can look at them here:
www.zenfolio.com/neonights
Or you can look at older stuff here:
www.flickr.com/photos/neonights

neo_nights's gear list:neo_nights's gear list
Pentax K20D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +7 more
Paul712
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
Canon Hand Strap E2 for NEX7

I use Canon Hand Strap E2 for my NEX7 and am very pleased with it.  It attached the camera loosely to my palm and my fingers are free to operate the various buttons without having to support the camera also.  Although this strap uses the Tripod Screw, the battery and SD card door is fully accessible.
In past tried other options such as Neck Strap, Wrist Strap and BlackRapid Sling strap.  But, none of these met my needs. .

-- hide signature --

Paul

john inglis
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Like?
Re: Canon Hand Strap E2 for NEX7
In reply to Paul712, Mar 5, 2013

The Gariz is nice but for big hands can be pretty tight

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,716
Like?
Finger straps are better for a Nex

IMHO.

I have written on this several times.and it is on other threads.

The problem with wrist starps is that the camera just dangles, making it vulnerable to knocks. You also generally need your other hand to position the camera into right hand (assuming right handed user) when you want to shoot.

With a finger loop the camera is securely held into the palm area of your hand without you having to actually grasp the camera. You just raise your hand and the camera is ready to shoot with the finger the camera is attached to poised above the release button.

This of course only works for small cameras. The size/weight of a Nex is no trouble to carry like this and is quite secure.

I use a Gariz fingerloop that can also be extended to use as a regular wrist starp, however this does mean the extra length is coiled into my palm when in finger loop mode. I think Gariz now make one that is fingerloop only.

There are others available. Google for Ciesta Buttero leather fingerstrap.

One of the reasons I like my Garis is that I can adjust the position of the loop from the camera body which means I can get my index finger to fall exactly over the release button ehn I raise my hand to shoot. I suspect that on a couple of the other brands I would want to shorten the cord that attaches the strap to the camera.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Zoii
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?

Have you bought one yet?

I got a wrist strap from Gariz, on eBay.

It will arrive by this Friday, along with the Gariz half case, and a neck strap.

Will see how they are.

Zoii's gear list:Zoii's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Riquez
Like?
In reply to Zoii, Mar 6, 2013

Zoii wrote:

Have you bought one yet?

I got a wrist strap from Gariz, on eBay.

It will arrive by this Friday, along with the Gariz half case, and a neck strap.

Will see how they are.

I have not bought one yet. The Gariz & the Canon E2 both look promising.

Id be interested to hear how you find the Gariz. Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads