glossy monitor screen versus matte?

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions
Msongs
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?
glossy monitor screen versus matte?
Feb 25, 2013

my main NEC art monitor has a nice non glare screen. I want to pick up another monitor to use for general viewing, net surfing, etc, so I can save the expensive NEC for just doing art and photo stuff. Most of the off the shelf monitors have glossy screens, which are very reflective in the store due to the bright lighting fluorescents there.

do you find glossy monitors to be ok for home use or is the gloss annoying most of the time? non-glare screens are much more pricey I have seen.

thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Msongs
batik & digital art, t shirts and more!

xuser
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: glossy monitor screen versus matte?
In reply to Msongs, Feb 25, 2013

I personally do not like glossy monitors at all. Several years ago I got a couple Samsung (I do not recall model) and I was able to see myself reflected on the monitors while using them. I returned them to BestBuy next day.

I only use mate monitors, but at the end it is personal preference. I have a friend that he and his wife love glossy.

xuser's gear list:xuser's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,404
Like?

Matte

Why not something like this....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116581

$190 IPS panel 1920x1080 6bit+AFRC for simulated 8bit color depth yet minimal banding issues (due AFRC).  It won't break the bank yet has the connectivity to put a desktop or a laptop on it via the HDMI port. The IPS panel will give you excellent viewing angles.  Would make a great secondary monitor to park the editing menus from Lightroom on as part of a dual monitor system.

-- hide signature --

Eric Carlson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,360Gear list
Like?

I haven't had any issues with the glossy screen on my new 27" Auria EQ276W with all the bright lighting at work, though maybe it has some other type of glare prevention. It is cheap at $400 from Micro Center, if you want a large high resolution secondary monitor (or primary monitor).

Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
Nikon007
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
In reply to Eric Carlson, Feb 25, 2013

The blacks are so much richer looking (blacker) on a glossy screen(all else being equal) that once you have one you probably will never go back to a matte. Matte looks the same once the lights go out. I could never go back to matte. As far as reflections go you don't notice them after a while, I was concerned about that at first.

A matte screen does no have real blacks IMO in a lit up room.

Msongs
Like?

thanks for the replies. I currently have an NEC 2490wuxi2 and want to give it some rest lol

looking at dell 2412m as it is IPS matte and 16:10 but most $$

also the viewsonic  vp2365 LED IPS and matte but 16:9 2nd highest $$

now viewsonic Newsyl mentioned viewsonic vx2370 IPS matte 16:9, difference from above viewsonic appears to be no height adjustment on stand far as I can tell n maybe swivel

there are suggested profiles for the first 2 at tft central but not for the last viewsonic. don't want to have to buy a callibrator if not needed.

Msongs

Lyle Aldridge
Contributing MemberPosts: 540
Like?
Seems to vary individually

I think this varies from person to person, perhaps based on some immutable physiological difference in our eyes or brains. I, for one, am mystified by claims that blacks look blacker on a glossy display. I have exactly the opposite impression. Black on a a glossy display never looks as black to me as it does on matte. And try as I might, I cannot train my eyes or brain to ignore the reflections from a glossy screen, and I tire more quickly when using one. It's hard for me to comprehend how others use them and swear by them, but I know they do.

I do wonder, though, where you're shopping. I was looking at monitors just a few days ago at Best Buy and Staples, and at least 90% of those I saw had matte screens. At Staples, I think an HP2511x was the only glossy monitor in the entire store. Laptops, of course, run otherwise, which is the main reason I have a Lenovo Thinkpad.

rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?

Msongs wrote:

thanks for the replies. I currently have an NEC 2490wuxi2 and want to give it some rest lol

looking at dell 2412m as it is IPS matte and 16:10 but most $$

also the viewsonic vp2365 LED IPS and matte but 16:9 2nd highest $$

now viewsonic Newsyl mentioned viewsonic vx2370 IPS matte 16:9, difference from above viewsonic appears to be no height adjustment on stand far as I can tell n maybe swivel

there are suggested profiles for the first 2 at tft central but not for the last viewsonic. don't want to have to buy a callibrator if not needed.

Msongs

Hi Msongs,

The only reason to have reflections on a glossy screen is the wrong lighting source & position.  I can't say that glossy is better, don't have the experience but I have worked only on glossy and I only get a problem with reflections if there is something wrong with the available room lighting.  A quick monitor or lighting position adjustment usually takes care of that... unless in your case everything is fixed...

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Glenn Haley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?

I had an HP laptop with glossy screen and I sent it back, too many reflections. Some laptops now offer Gorilla glass. My Sony TV has Gorilla glass and it really reduces reflections yet colors are very good. They now have an even better Gorilla glass available. I haven't seen any monitors offer this and I wonder why?

Lyle Aldridge
Contributing MemberPosts: 540
Like?
In reply to rio911, Feb 25, 2013

rio911 wrote:

Hi Msongs,

The only reason to have reflections on a glossy screen is the wrong lighting source & position. I can't say that glossy is better, don't have the experience but I have worked only on glossy and I only get a problem with reflections if there is something wrong with the available room lighting. A quick monitor or lighting position adjustment usually takes care of that... unless in your case everything is fixed...

Could you perhaps elaborate? In my case, repositioning most light sources is not a problem, but the light that creates the seemingly insoluble problem is the light produced by the monitor itself.  Once I get the room lighting reduced to the point where I'm not seeing reflections of every lamp, table and chair in the room, I get reflections of my own head and face.

rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lyle Aldridge, Feb 25, 2013

Lyle Aldridge wrote:

rio911 wrote:

Hi Msongs,

The only reason to have reflections on a glossy screen is the wrong lighting source & position. I can't say that glossy is better, don't have the experience but I have worked only on glossy and I only get a problem with reflections if there is something wrong with the available room lighting. A quick monitor or lighting position adjustment usually takes care of that... unless in your case everything is fixed...

Could you perhaps elaborate? In my case, repositioning most light sources is not a problem, but the light that creates the seemingly insoluble problem is the light produced by the monitor itself. Once I get the room lighting reduced to the point where I'm not seeing reflections of every lamp, table and chair in the room, I get reflections of my own head and face.

I'm not sure why you get that, but I have to say that it is usually not a very good idea to work in a very dark environment.  I would think that if you do work in the dark you need to reduce the brightness of you monitor (that is not a good suggestion as previously stated).

If you start looking into the source of reflection: first reduce the number of light sources, try to bring the backlighting/brightness of you monitor to match the lighting source and finally adjust position.  Repeat a couple of times.

And maybe it all comes down to what is acceptable reflection... but you do get reflections off of matte screens as well.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
BobSC
Senior MemberPosts: 2,979
Like?
In reply to Lyle Aldridge, Feb 25, 2013

Lyle Aldridge wrote:

rio911 wrote:

Hi Msongs,

Could you perhaps elaborate? In my case, repositioning most light sources is not a problem, but the light that creates the seemingly insoluble problem is the light produced by the monitor itself. Once I get the room lighting reduced to the point where I'm not seeing reflections of every lamp, table and chair in the room, I get reflections of my own head and face.

I have two monitors on my pc at home. One glossy, one matte. I only get annoying glare on the glossy one when the sun shines through the window behind me.

Maybe your overall lighting is too dark. I have 160 watts of flourescent light over me. With a generally bright room you can turn up the brightness on the monitor and not see yourself?

NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,404
Like?
In reply to Nikon007, Feb 25, 2013

Nikon007 wrote:

The blacks are so much richer looking (blacker) on a glossy screen(all else being equal) that once you have one you probably will never go back to a matte. Matte looks the same once the lights go out. I could never go back to matte. As far as reflections go you don't notice them after a while, I was concerned about that at first.

A matte screen does no have real blacks IMO in a lit up room.

If I was using that 2nd monitor only for surfing and watching videos (in particular) I'd get a glossy as well for the rich contrasty blacks and with the minimal light in my den and the ninjasuit I wear there would be no problems with reflection while watching Netflix when I should be working.

Ok... tongue was in cheek.   I do prefer the glossy for watching videos.

But... which matches prints better?  A matte or a glossy?

I recall a thread in the printers and printing forum a couple of years ago where the poster was emphatic that for proper print matching you want a low contrast screen.  A matte would be closer to that ideal.

-- hide signature --

Msongs
Like?
decided on Dell u2412 with matte screen...
In reply to Msongs, Feb 27, 2013

it's an IPS, 16:10 instead of 16:9, affordable, and I can get profiles for it at TFT central, which ought be good enough profiles for ordinary use while I use the NEC for color projects to print.

here in Hawaii there is a limited amount of medium to high end tech stuff so mostly one has to buy sight unseen from the internet. But best buy offers free shipping and if the monitor is a stinker I can return to the honolulu store which is pretty cool. Best Buy is responding to the pressure of online sales. good for them, got me as a customer this time!

thank you for all your comments

-- hide signature --

Msongs

Nikon007
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
Re: decided on Dell u2412 with matte screen...

All you have to do is look at a screen when it is off, that is as black as it will get. My glossy screen is way blacker than the matte screen I have during the day. In fact the glossy black trim around the screen is the same level of blackness as the screen itself, A matte screen can't come close to that. At night it does not matter. I can understand some not liking the reflections.

With TVs it's the same, I don't buy matte screens there either because the blacks are so weak during the day. The blacks may look black to our eyes on a matte screen because of the contrast but the blacks are never darker than when the screen is turned off in any given lighting condition. Only glossy screens can give a nearly black level with any ambient light IMO and once you get used to that it's very hard to go back to matte unless the reflections are too much.

All Apple products and smart phones/tablets have Glossy screens now (there might be a few exceptions), I can just imaging how flat my iPad would look with a matte screen. It appears that almost all displays except for some computer monitors are now glossy. Most folks are used to that and would have very little trouble with a glossy computer monitor unless the environment caused a whole lot of reflections.

Just my view on the subject.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,337
Like?
In reply to Nikon007, Feb 27, 2013

Nikon007 wrote:

All you have to do is look at a screen when it is off, that is as black as it will get. My glossy screen is way blacker than the matte screen I have during the day. In fact the glossy black trim around the screen is the same level of blackness as the screen itself, A matte screen can't come close to that. At night it does not matter. I can understand some not liking the reflections.

Yep, it's a trade off and a personal preference.

I work with both types -- my desktop has a matte screen but my laptop is glossy.

Overall, I lean slightly toward the matte.

It occurred to me that buying glossy keeps your options open (to some extent). It's possible to convert a glossy screen to matte with abrasives or, less destructively, with some kind of screen protector. Going the other way would be more difficult.

I have considered buying a screen protector for my laptop and wondered if anyone else had been down that road.

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,010Gear list
Like?

Good choice.  Great monitor for the money.  For me the big deal is the 16 / 10 screen AND the mat antiglare coating.  The 'tilt-swivel-orientation' adjustments are tops and the blacks (in use) are plenty black.  Just needed a touch less backlight adjustment and good-to-go.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
In reply to rio911, Mar 3, 2013

rio911 wrote:

rio

You don't always get to choose your light and position.

I hate glossy screens.  I think they contribute to eye strain, but that is only my opinion.

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
abelits
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?
In reply to Msongs, Mar 4, 2013

There is absolutely no excuse for glossy screens, except for touchscreens and pen/stylus screens. They look better in a store or showroom, especially when turned off. This is why they are produced. Once used for anything in real life, they are worse, objectively worse because the image is exactly the same, but it's covered with reflections.

Touchscreens and pen/stylus screens are an exception because a matte screen suffers more from oil, easier to scratch, and it's harder to apply a screen protector to it. But best screen protectors are still matte!

abelits's gear list:abelits's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +10 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Msongs, Mar 4, 2013

I had a MBP with  glossy screen for a few years and I never got used to it. Now I have a new laptop with matte screen and I don't want to go back to glossy. I strongly favor matte screens over glossy ones.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads