Would you use the x100s for a wedding?

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions
Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,127Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to Nikonworks, Feb 25, 2013

Nikonworks wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

I did use an X100 for an entire wedding.

I would sue you

parading as a wedding photographer

gross negligence on your part

I never saw a worse series of photos from a wedding

I suggest you Google 'Top notch wedding photographers'

Don't take any of this personally

lol , I like the last sentence, especially in the light of the previous ones.

 Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
madmaxmedia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,508
Like?
You did read the intro, right?
In reply to Nikonworks, Feb 25, 2013

...the part where he stated, " But, as I’m always trying to push my limits, this was the perfect opportunity to see what I and the camera had. Please understand– having extreme reliability in your wedding photographer is a number one priority and I would never have tried this as the primary photographer for one of my weddings. So, I was fortunate to be able to tag along with the great Chris Rebo. He and his couple understood the challenges and had no specific expectations for what I would produce."

Also, if you click on the other link of his more typical wedding photography, you can see he is more than capable of providing the more conventional type of wedding photography you seem to refer to.

And by conventional I only mean a more typical style, the photos in the other set are excellent as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pelex
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to Davidgilmour, Feb 25, 2013

No one else has mentioned Mr. Kraft being slated by Fujifilm for an early US-expedited X100S?

Probably based on his photographic merits?

I wonder if Nikonworks has ever received anything from Nikon in advance....I'm guessing not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
theranman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,092
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to Pelex, Feb 25, 2013

"If you don't have anything good to say about somebody, come sit by me."  

Ok, I'll be nice and just say that those weddings pics are not my particular taste.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrianKraft
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to BrianKraft, Feb 25, 2013

Thanks to those that were nice in saying you like my work.

Thanks to those that were nice in saying you don't particularly like my work.

And then there's NikonWorks...ha, it's funny, I literally just noticed what it says above-

"The basic rules for discussions on dpreview.com are simple: be polite and civil; do not be offensive, malicious or antagonistic..."

But honestly, I don't give a damn what you think. I don't actually care what anyone else thinks about those wedding photos-- not even the couple. As someone did point out, if you actually read what I wrote on that blog post-- it was not for the couple-- it was 100% for me. It was a very purposeful approach and clearly not for everyone's taste. I get that. I don't know what art is loved by everyone, anyway. But, I am actually very happy, as I did what I set out to do. That's all that matters.

And yes, if you do look at my typical work that I linked to, NikonWorks, I think (??) you'll see that your statements about my myriad of failings are actually quite comical-

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/weddings/wedding-photography-best-of-2012/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peter konzuk
Contributing MemberPosts: 598
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to BrianKraft, Feb 25, 2013

These images are brilliant.  I would have been thrilled if my wedding had been shot in this style.  In fact I hired a newspaper photog 22 years ago to shoot our wedding provided BW film and asked him to shoot it photojournalistic style.  He did and I'm still happy with them.  Yours have taken it to the next level.  Kind of how I would imagine Anton Corbijn would 'interpret' a wedding.  While they might not be for everyone I think they're far more interesting than the standard 'formula'.  The test for me was that I was only going to take a glance at a few of your imagese to see what all the fuss was about.  I actually scrolled through the entire shoot and paused a few times for a second look.  Most wedding 'albums' are downright boring and sit around collecting dust.  These wouldn't, at least in my home.  Well done and I hope some of your clients will take you up on this approach.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bobtheamateur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?
Brian
In reply to BrianKraft, Feb 25, 2013

BrianKraft wrote:

But honestly, I don't give a damn what you think. I don't actually care what anyone else thinks about those wedding photos-- not even the couple.

Whether or not you care what others think of your work, as you read in this short thread, there are those who truly appreciate the creativity and skill of your craft and have said so. To potentially alienate this group of people with your statement above... who do admire your art, seems counter-productive.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

 Bobtheamateur's gear list:Bobtheamateur's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrianKraft
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: Brian
In reply to Bobtheamateur, Feb 25, 2013

Bobtheamateur wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

But honestly, I don't give a damn what you think. I don't actually care what anyone else thinks about those wedding photos-- not even the couple.

Whether or not you care what others think of your work, as you read in this short thread, there are those who truly appreciate the creativity and skill of your craft and have said so. To potentially alienate this group of people with your statement above... who do admire your art, seems counter-productive.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'm just saying with those particular photos, my satisfaction (not someone else's) was my biggest priority. If other people like them, that makes me happy too and I really appreciate that and am thankful. For my typical work, my goal is to make sure my couple is happy. And again, if other folks like them-- that makes me happy too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to BrianKraft, Feb 25, 2013

To be honest I like most of the photos in the series, but I'm not really digging the extreme BW treatment nor the massive amount of fake grain and vignetting. Also it's a little ironic to post your photos on a forum and then say "I don't care what anyone says". Would you rather have no one replied to your posts?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrianKraft
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to hellocrowley, Feb 25, 2013

hellocrowley wrote:

To be honest I like most of the photos in the series, but I'm not really digging the extreme BW treatment nor the massive amount of fake grain and vignetting.

Thanks. I didn't add any grain. I also didn't use any noise reduction.

Also it's a little ironic to post your photos on a forum and then say "I don't care what anyone says". Would you rather have no one replied to your posts?

I was trying to answer the OP's question and showing the results from having shot a wedding with the X100. Seems a little more useful than just saying yes and not providing anything, in case the OP or others wanted to see. I wasn't explicitly asking for an opinion on the photos.

And if you'll look at my response to Bob (the moderator), my point was for those particular photos, my happiness was my number one priority. I appreciate positive feedback in general, but the point was that set of photos was very much a self-indulgence, compared to my typical work which is to appeal to others as my number one priority.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,569
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to BrianKraft, Feb 25, 2013

BrianKraft wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

To be honest I like most of the photos in the series, but I'm not really digging the extreme BW treatment nor the massive amount of fake grain and vignetting.

Thanks. I didn't add any grain. I also didn't use any noise reduction.

Also it's a little ironic to post your photos on a forum and then say "I don't care what anyone says". Would you rather have no one replied to your posts?

I was trying to answer the OP's question and showing the results from having shot a wedding with the X100. Seems a little more useful than just saying yes and not providing anything, in case the OP or others wanted to see. I wasn't explicitly asking for an opinion on the photos.

And if you'll look at my response to Bob (the moderator), my point was for those particular photos, my happiness was my number one priority. I appreciate positive feedback in general, but the point was that set of photos was very much a self-indulgence, compared to my typical work which is to appeal to others as my number one priority.

Brian, there is no need to explain or to defend yourself.  Your art speaks for itself.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
argyrotype
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to vkphoto, Feb 25, 2013

A couple nice pics, a lot of flat and/or poorly composed pics, and an arrogant "I don't care what you think" attitude....what's not to like??  -- reminds me of Tom Waits "The piano has been drinking---not me" !!!

the photographer formerly known as 'Kallitype'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to viking79, Feb 25, 2013

viking79 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

I did use an X100 for an entire wedding. Purposely very dark, moody, and unconventional.

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/weddings/wedding-photography-fuji-x100/

If I hired you to shoot my wedding and you presented me with these photos I would sue you for parading as a wedding photographer, and gross negligence on your part.

I never saw a worse series of photos from a wedding.

Really? I shoot weddings, this is one of the best wedding sets I have seen. Not the same as everyone else's. A nice change of pace, and in a very good way. The shots capture emotion, instead of the photographer concentrating so much on a perfect shot that they want to get.

PS, there are a lot of shots in there I don't like, but a lot that I really do like very much. I assume you looked through most of the shots?

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

Your comment ' there are a lot of shots in there I don't like, but a lot that I really do like very much'

is not what a bride would say when looking at a such an album of her wedding.

She would cry.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to thejapanexperience, Feb 25, 2013

thejapanexperience wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

I did use an X100 for an entire wedding. Purposely very dark, moody, and unconventional.

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/weddings/wedding-photography-fuji-x100/

If I hired you to shoot my wedding and you presented me with these photos I would sue you for parading as a wedding photographer, and gross negligence on your part.

I never saw a worse series of photos from a wedding.

If Fuji is attacted to these photos I would have to revise my opinion of Fuji as a camera company.

Sorry, not to offend you, but someone has to let you know.

Blurred photos do not make a Bride happy.

Dull, dark eyes do not make a Bride happy.

There is nothing 'moody' about this newly wed couple. They are quite happy in appearance.

They no doubt got 'moody' when they saw these photos.

These are not available light images. Almost all of your images inside are under-exposed and one can see how you tried to recover detail from the shadows.

How could a photog garner new bookings by showing couples these pictures?

I suggest you Google 'Top notch wedding photographers' and review their portfolios before you book another wedding.

Don't take any of this personally, this is just as a wake-up call, to get you on the right track to making couples happy they hired you.

It's people like this who make coming to dpr forums a painful experience. I have made a complaint about both of your posts up to this point. The tone of your comments is extremely arrogant and unpleasant. Just a wake up call...

https://richardmandsphotography.wordpress.com/

I am fully awake and sincere in all of my posts.

I have a true concern for the photog and that is why I gave him a reality check.

This is a forum in which ideas are exchanged, not impeded by threats of a 'complaint'.

Why don't you express your comments on the images of the first link?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thejapanexperience
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to Nikonworks, Feb 26, 2013

Nikonworks wrote:

thejapanexperience wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

I did use an X100 for an entire wedding. Purposely very dark, moody, and unconventional.

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/weddings/wedding-photography-fuji-x100/

If I hired you to shoot my wedding and you presented me with these photos I would sue you for parading as a wedding photographer, and gross negligence on your part.

I never saw a worse series of photos from a wedding.

If Fuji is attacted to these photos I would have to revise my opinion of Fuji as a camera company.

Sorry, not to offend you, but someone has to let you know.

Blurred photos do not make a Bride happy.

Dull, dark eyes do not make a Bride happy.

There is nothing 'moody' about this newly wed couple. They are quite happy in appearance.

They no doubt got 'moody' when they saw these photos.

These are not available light images. Almost all of your images inside are under-exposed and one can see how you tried to recover detail from the shadows.

How could a photog garner new bookings by showing couples these pictures?

I suggest you Google 'Top notch wedding photographers' and review their portfolios before you book another wedding.

Don't take any of this personally, this is just as a wake-up call, to get you on the right track to making couples happy they hired you.

It's people like this who make coming to dpr forums a painful experience. I have made a complaint about both of your posts up to this point. The tone of your comments is extremely arrogant and unpleasant. Just a wake up call...

https://richardmandsphotography.wordpress.com/

I am fully awake and sincere in all of my posts.

I have a true concern for the photog and that is why I gave him a reality check.

This is a forum in which ideas are exchanged, not impeded by threats of a 'complaint'.

Why don't you express your comments on the images of the first link?

I really like the shots. For what they are, they came out beautifully. If you had bothered to read the blog and look at the other link, you would have had a bit more information to go on and might not have acted in such an unpleasant manner.

How would you know what the bride would be thinking anyway? We are all different.

My problem is that I like coming to this forum and enjoy the discussions people have. What you contributed was not at all what I would consider discussion. I seriously hope you don't speak to people like that in real life.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to thejapanexperience, Feb 26, 2013

thejapanexperience wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

thejapanexperience wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

I did use an X100 for an entire wedding. Purposely very dark, moody, and unconventional.

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/weddings/wedding-photography-fuji-x100/

If I hired you to shoot my wedding and you presented me with these photos I would sue you for parading as a wedding photographer, and gross negligence on your part.

I never saw a worse series of photos from a wedding.

If Fuji is attacted to these photos I would have to revise my opinion of Fuji as a camera company.

Sorry, not to offend you, but someone has to let you know.

Blurred photos do not make a Bride happy.

Dull, dark eyes do not make a Bride happy.

There is nothing 'moody' about this newly wed couple. They are quite happy in appearance.

They no doubt got 'moody' when they saw these photos.

These are not available light images. Almost all of your images inside are under-exposed and one can see how you tried to recover detail from the shadows.

How could a photog garner new bookings by showing couples these pictures?

I suggest you Google 'Top notch wedding photographers' and review their portfolios before you book another wedding.

Don't take any of this personally, this is just as a wake-up call, to get you on the right track to making couples happy they hired you.

It's people like this who make coming to dpr forums a painful experience. I have made a complaint about both of your posts up to this point. The tone of your comments is extremely arrogant and unpleasant. Just a wake up call...

https://richardmandsphotography.wordpress.com/

I am fully awake and sincere in all of my posts.

I have a true concern for the photog and that is why I gave him a reality check.

This is a forum in which ideas are exchanged, not impeded by threats of a 'complaint'.

Why don't you express your comments on the images of the first link?

I really like the shots. For what they are, they came out beautifully. If you had bothered to read the blog and look at the other link, you would have had a bit more information to go on and might not have acted in such an unpleasant manner.

How would you know what the bride would be thinking anyway? We are all different.

No Bride, nor any woman, that I have ever served photographically would have hired me if I showed them the first link images as being my portfolio.

That is what I know, without a doubt.

My problem is that I like coming to this forum and enjoy the discussions people have. What you contributed was not at all what I would consider discussion. I seriously hope you don't speak to people like that in real life.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thejapanexperience
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to Nikonworks, Feb 26, 2013

Nikonworks wrote:

No Bride, nor any woman, that I have ever served photographically would have hired me if I showed them the first link images as being my portfolio.

That is what I know, without a doubt.

No. That is your opinion. It is not 'known' because you have never shown them to any bride. You do not in fact 'know' this. Even if you did, it wouldn't have stopped your comments from being aggressive and unpleasant. I'm sorry if you being called out on your behaviour is embarrassing. Frankly, you should be embarrassed and I hope that the mods on this board are paying attention to behaviour of this sort.

To any watching mods, If I am contravening any rules by getting involved in this kind of off-topic conversation, then I too apologise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to thejapanexperience, Feb 26, 2013

thejapanexperience wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

No Bride, nor any woman, that I have ever served photographically would have hired me if I showed them the first link images as being my portfolio.

That is what I know, without a doubt.

No. That is your opinion. It is not 'known' because you have never shown them to any bride. You do not in fact 'know' this. Even if you did, it wouldn't have stopped your comments from being aggressive and unpleasant. I'm sorry if you being called out on your behaviour is embarrassing. Frankly, you should be embarrassed and I hope that the mods on this board are paying attention to behaviour of this sort.

To any watching mods, If I am contravening any rules by getting involved in this kind of off-topic conversation, then I too apologise.

This is a photography forum.

My behavior has been proper, I talk only about photography.

You post about embarasment and aggressive behavior.

Why don't you comment about the images on the first link and my comments about them.

Almost every interior shot had its shadows pulled because they were under-exposed to begin with.

An out of focus bride, a blurry bride, does not make it in the word of wedding albums.

Please stay on topic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bobtheamateur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?
Time to stop.....
In reply to Nikonworks, Feb 26, 2013

Nikonworks wrote:

thejapanexperience wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

No Bride, nor any woman, that I have ever served photographically would have hired me if I showed them the first link images as being my portfolio.

That is what I know, without a doubt.

No. That is your opinion. It is not 'known' because you have never shown them to any bride. You do not in fact 'know' this. Even if you did, it wouldn't have stopped your comments from being aggressive and unpleasant. I'm sorry if you being called out on your behaviour is embarrassing. Frankly, you should be embarrassed and I hope that the mods on this board are paying attention to behaviour of this sort.

To any watching mods, If I am contravening any rules by getting involved in this kind of off-topic conversation, then I too apologise.

This is a photography forum.

My behavior has been proper, I talk only about photography.

You post about embarasment and aggressive behavior.

Why don't you comment about the images on the first link and my comments about them.

Almost every interior shot had its shadows pulled because they were under-exposed to begin with.

An out of focus bride, a blurry bride, does not make it in the word of wedding albums.

Please stay on topic.

the arguing.  I think both of you know what the other is thinking.  No more can probably be said at this point that would be productive.

The Mod

 Bobtheamateur's gear list:Bobtheamateur's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,108
Like?
Re: Would you use the x100s for a wedding?
In reply to Nikonworks, Feb 26, 2013

Nikonworks wrote:

thejapanexperience wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

BrianKraft wrote:

I did use an X100 for an entire wedding. Purposely very dark, moody, and unconventional.

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/weddings/wedding-photography-fuji-x100/

If I hired you to shoot my wedding and you presented me with these photos I would sue you for parading as a wedding photographer, and gross negligence on your part.

I never saw a worse series of photos from a wedding.

If Fuji is attacted to these photos I would have to revise my opinion of Fuji as a camera company.

Sorry, not to offend you, but someone has to let you know.

Blurred photos do not make a Bride happy.

Dull, dark eyes do not make a Bride happy.

There is nothing 'moody' about this newly wed couple. They are quite happy in appearance.

They no doubt got 'moody' when they saw these photos.

These are not available light images. Almost all of your images inside are under-exposed and one can see how you tried to recover detail from the shadows.

How could a photog garner new bookings by showing couples these pictures?

I suggest you Google 'Top notch wedding photographers' and review their portfolios before you book another wedding.

Don't take any of this personally, this is just as a wake-up call, to get you on the right track to making couples happy they hired you.

It's people like this who make coming to dpr forums a painful experience. I have made a complaint about both of your posts up to this point. The tone of your comments is extremely arrogant and unpleasant. Just a wake up call...

https://richardmandsphotography.wordpress.com/

I am fully awake and sincere in all of my posts.

I have a true concern for the photog and that is why I gave him a reality check.

This is a forum in which ideas are exchanged, not impeded by threats of a 'complaint'.

Why don't you express your comments on the images of the first link?

Some of his photos are interesting and would provide a few definitely unconventional wedding views, but if that is his basic approach to wedding photography I would not hire him either. As supplemental snaps there are some good shots but I don't see what most people would be expecting in a wedding shoot. I am commenting just on the basis of subject and composition, not on the technical aspects.

So what if people want conventional photos instead of shots with peoples' heads lopped off, or a full view of a woman's legs from behind? There have to be the standard types of photos provided and in the plurality. They are popular and expected for a reason. Geez, I would never take someone's once in a lifetime event and hand them a bohemian view of their day.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads