RX1 review on the Imaging Resource

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions
Tulaev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?
RX1 review on the Imaging Resource
Feb 24, 2013

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx1/sony-rx1A.HTM

"We never thought we'd find ourselves saying that a $2,800 compact camera was a good deal, but if ever one qualified as such, the Sony RX1 is it. What's perhaps most exciting about the Sony RX1 is the way it completely redefines expectations of what a compact camera can accomplish. With the RX1, Sony has thrown down the gauntlet to the rest of the camera industry; it'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, rises to the challenge."

-- hide signature --
 Tulaev's gear list:Tulaev's gear list
Sony RX1
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JustinL01
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 review on the Imaging Resource
In reply to Tulaev, Feb 24, 2013

Tulaev wrote:

"We never thought we'd find ourselves saying that a $2,800 compact camera was a good deal, but if ever one qualified as such, the Sony RX1 is it. What's perhaps most exciting about the Sony RX1 is the way it completely redefines expectations of what a compact camera can accomplish. With the RX1, Sony has thrown down the gauntlet to the rest of the camera industry; it'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, rises to the challenge."

-- hide signature --

Sorry this has to be wrong, according to all the comments currently being made how poor, not worth the money etc etc this camera is how can yet another review call it a game changer! Obviously all the comments by the "reviewers" who haven't even used the camera are correct though....

Thanks for the link.

JustinL01's gear list:JustinL01's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to JustinL01, Feb 24, 2013

sounds more like shilling rather than actual review.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,118Gear list
Like?
In reply to JustinL01, Feb 24, 2013

JustinL01 wrote:

Tulaev wrote:

Sorry this has to be wrong, according to all the comments currently being made how poor, not worth the money etc etc this camera is how can yet another review call it a game changer! Obviously all the comments by the "reviewers" who haven't even used the camera are correct though....

Can you point to the comments by reviewers who are opposing what imaging-resource notes without having used the RX1? Thanks.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,329
Like?
They lost me at "Blazing fast autofocus"

Come on. I own the camera, love it dearly, but its AF is anything but blazing. Even if they meant to qualify that statement as pertaining to CDAF cameras, it's still untrue; there are many a CDAF cameras with faster AF than the RX1.

Tulaev
Like?
Re: They lost me at "Blazing fast autofocus"
In reply to ncsakany, Feb 24, 2013

What "many a CDAF cameras"?

-- hide signature --
Sony RX1
ncsakany
Like?

Tulaev wrote:

-- hide signature --

RX100 is the first and closest-related example that comes to mind. Olympus EM5. Panasonic's current generation m43 cameras.

Look, no need to get defensive there, Igor. The RX1 AF is slow, there's no beating around the bush on that one. Some are bothered by it, some others actually learn to take better photos specifically because this limitation makes them think a shot through. Happy and quick snapping does not always equate to masterpieces. I personally appreciate the RX1, slow AF and all, and am taking every bit of pleasure in spending time with it.

harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?

Tulaev wrote:

-- hide signature --

RX100 is the first and closest-related example that comes to mind. Olympus EM5. Panasonic's current generation m43 cameras.

Look, no need to get defensive there, Igor. The RX1 AF is slow, there's no beating around the bush on that one. Some are bothered by it, some others actually learn to take better photos specifically because this limitation makes them think a shot through. Happy and quick snapping does not always equate to masterpieces. I personally appreciate the RX1, slow AF and all, and am taking every bit of pleasure in spending time with it.

Describing the AF as slow is not accurate.
I find it reasonably fast to be honest.
I prefer the always accuracy of contrast detect against the instability of phase detect

It can't track but very few cameras can.
Although I am interested why dcresource described it as blazing. Perhaps there is a setting we don't know about.

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
ncsakany
Like?
In reply to harold1968, Feb 24, 2013

harold1968 wrote:

OK, let me qualify my impression then - it's reasonably fast in excellent light, less so otherwise. I've also encountered occasions when my RX1 would adamantly refuse to lock focus, where my identically-set RX100 had no troubles doing so (meaning I had them both side by side). Again, this isn't a dealbreaker for me, as I knew what I was getting into prior to purchasing mine. Whatever points it might lose for slow AF, it more MORE than makes up by way of stellar IQ and portability.

WCguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Feb 24, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

JustinL01 wrote:

Tulaev wrote:

Sorry this has to be wrong, according to all the comments currently being made how poor, not worth the money etc etc this camera is how can yet another review call it a game changer! Obviously all the comments by the "reviewers" who haven't even used the camera are correct though....

Can you point to the comments by reviewers who are opposing what imaging-resource notes without having used the RX1? Thanks.

Sean I think Justin is being a little sarcastic, but I would bet that many of the naysayers who have apposed the RX1 in many of the other forums have not tried the RX1 in real life, let alone hold it.Now that is not saying that some in this forum who don't like it haven't tried it or owned it, but as in many new cameras on the market, more than enough of the skeptics are non users. As for myself the RX1 is one hell of a camera, I don't care what others say, it suits my needs and more, I am having loads of fun with this little gem, oh and there are way more positive reviews on this camera from well established sites than negative.There is no one camera that I know that has suited the exact needs of every single photographer out there and I have yet to see the camera that has been given the perfect score from any site or reviewer.The RX1 and RX100 have brought a lot of excitement back into the market, I can't wait to see what is next.    WC

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 +31 more
WCguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?

ncsakany wrote:

harold1968 wrote:

OK, let me qualify my impression then - it's reasonably fast in excellent light, less so otherwise. I've also encountered occasions when my RX1 would adamantly refuse to lock focus, where my identically-set RX100 had no troubles doing so (meaning I had them both side by side). Again, this isn't a dealbreaker for me, as I knew what I was getting into prior to purchasing mine. Whatever points it might lose for slow AF, it more MORE than makes up by way of stellar IQ and portability.

I have no issues with the AF even in low light, if I need faster I have other cameras. but I do agree with your comments.  WC

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 +31 more
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to harold1968, Feb 24, 2013

harold1968 wrote:

Although I am interested why dcresource described it as blazing. Perhaps there is a setting we don't know about.

none. the blazing AF comment is absolutely BS.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,118Gear list
Like?
In reply to WCguy, Feb 24, 2013

WCguy wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

JustinL01 wrote:

Tulaev wrote:

Sean I think Justin is being a little sarcastic, but I would bet that many of the naysayers who have apposed the RX1 in many of the other forums have not tried the RX1 in real life, let alone hold it.Now that is not saying that some in this forum who don't like it haven't tried it or owned it, but as in many new cameras on the market, more than enough of the skeptics are non users. As for myself the RX1 is one hell of a camera, I don't care what others say, it suits my needs and more, I am having loads of fun with this little gem, oh and there are way more positive reviews on this camera from well established sites than negative.There is no one camera that I know that has suited the exact needs of every single photographer out there and I have yet to see the camera that has been given the perfect score from any site or reviewer.The RX1 and RX100 have brought a lot of excitement back into the market, I can't wait to see what is next. WC

Oh no doubt. Even though it didn't work out for me, I had much more positive to say about the RX1 than negative. I really only had 2 quibbles with the RX1: Initial speed to lock in AF and poor ergonomics for walking around and shooting (thumb grip might have solved this, but I wasn't going to pay 70 billion dollars for that little piece of metal). I compared the RX1 image quality to the D600 and the NEX 5N and I preferred the RX1. I love the image quality. To me, it's the most affordable incredible image quality to be found (and for me, this gets at higher ISOs, too).

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Tulaev
Like?

As I understand "many a CDAF cameras" = small amount of the latest cameras.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX1
NorthwestF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Feb 25, 2013

Ariston wrote:

sounds more like shilling rather than actual revie

that's coming from the old Samsung troll.

No, Samsung isn't capable of making any camera like RX1 -- the class leader in fixed lens camera.

NorthwestF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Feb 25, 2013

Ariston wrote:

sounds more like shilling rather than actual review.

Imaging-resource is one of the most credible review site on the internet. And they post all their test results online, like studio shots, and AF tests, like here

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx1/sony-rx1A6.HTM

navierb
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to ncsakany, Feb 25, 2013

ncsakany wrote:

harold1968 wrote:

Exactly the same here.

After nearly 2 Weeks playing with the RX1 50% Images were stunning and 50% failed focus. I decided to return it...

Every day, almost as a second life, I find myself searching on the internet for rumors of an upcoming Firmware update... If it comes out, and solves the AF problem, I'll buy it again!

Maybe, I have had a defective RX1, maybe not... I don't know...

The second thing I really wanted to be changed or improved, is the ability to use the Focus Peaking function without Magnification

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,989Gear list
Like?
In reply to ncsakany, Feb 25, 2013

Please let me know how fast the RX1 AF is compared to all the other full frame CDAF cameras are with 35mm lenses.

I believe it is the very fastest in that class.  It's kind of pointless to compare focus speed against cameras with completely different sensor sizes, and consequently smaller lenses.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Richard Spangler
Contributing MemberPosts: 575
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Feb 25, 2013

I own the RX1 and the AF is not bad but like they all say it could be a bit better in low light. I would say its just ok.  It is the first gen HW/FW so I hope like the Fuji X100 Sony will give us a FW update that will bump it up just a notch. I'm not expecting D4 performance at all since its not PDAF and if Sony does nothing to improve the FW I will still be happy with my purchase but if they do improve it a bit i will be even happier. I cant think of anything they can improve on this little camera short if the AF. I can only imagine what the RX2 will be like with DSLR AF performance tracking etc. BTW this is from a fixed lens perspective.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,189Gear list
Like?
In reply to navierb, Feb 26, 2013

navierb wrote:

ncsakany wrote:

harold1968 wrote:

Exactly the same here.

After nearly 2 Weeks playing with the RX1 50% Images were stunning and 50% failed focus. I decided to return it...

Every day, almost as a second life, I find myself searching on the internet for rumors of an upcoming Firmware update... If it comes out, and solves the AF problem, I'll buy it again!

Maybe, I have had a defective RX1, maybe not... I don't know...

The second thing I really wanted to be changed or improved, is the ability to use the Focus Peaking function without Magnification

Hello,

Recently, a photographer friend of mine and I were shooting a parade that began in the late 5 pm afternoon and ending in the late 10 pm evening.

He was shooing with his newly acquired compact RX1 and I shooting with a DSLR (old) Canon 5DMKII with 24-105 F4L.

We both shooting at similar ISO's from 400 to 1600.

After comparing photos, the RX1 had about 60% sharply focused photographs. The Canon 5DMKII closer to 90% sharply focused photographs.

The RX1 AF simply could not keep up with the Canon AF with falling light and parade movements. He missed many "decisive moment" type shots because of slow AF.  He switched to focus peaking MF and it slowed him down.  He had many sequential shots with people with eyes closed, poor expressions, etc.  And he is an excellent old time LEICA M photographer btw.

So for professionals, and skilled snap shooters, who can get around the AF , fixed lens, cost with all the overly expensive EVF, lens hood, thumb grip, etc, and who can get the best out of the RX1, it's a great tool for many photo situations.

But the big pro DSLR still has it's strengths that the RX1 falls short on.

Enjoy good shooting with your RX1.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads