70D fans ...

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,736Gear list
Like?
70D fans ...
Feb 23, 2013

So much talk about the 7DII...which is half a year away or more, while the 70D is scheduled for next month .

So lets talk about the new 70D instead !!   ...a camera to successfully compete with the D7100.

1. Take the 7D af and refine it a bit. Even add a few more sensors. Easy to beat the AF of the 7100 since it only has 15 cross sensors all in one bunch in the middle.  The single ones...always weaker.

2. Size it close to the 60D.  Smallish is more discrete.

3. Native iso 12800...and make it a bit better than any crop sensor out right now.  They can do it, if they want to.  This detail will sell more bodies...worth the extra coin. It can be done.

5.  Keep the price under 1500....even if it means only about 7 fps, no swivel, and no gimmics.  Just fine high IQ performance.

Your interests may vary...of course....but many of us don't need the 10fps and higher price...and would really like a new body for spring & summer...vs waiting until summer is over.  Right ?  yeah !

I predict...Canon will announce before mid March. 

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rwl408
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103
Like?
Re: 70D fans ...
In reply to jonrobertp, Feb 24, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

So much talk about the 7DII...which is half a year away or more, while the 70D is scheduled for next month .

So lets talk about the new 70D instead !! ...a camera to successfully compete with the D7100.

1. Take the 7D af and refine it a bit. Even add a few more sensors. Easy to beat the AF of the 7100 since it only has 15 cross sensors all in one bunch in the middle. The single ones...always weaker.

2. Size it close to the 60D. Smallish is more discrete.

Size doesn't matter for this kind of product lines.

3. Native iso 12800...and make it a bit better than any crop sensor out right now. They can do it, if they want to. This detail will sell more bodies...worth the extra coin. It can be done.

5. Keep the price under 1500....even if it means only about 7 fps, no swivel, and no gimmics. Just fine high IQ performance.

Canon most likely prices it $100 below D7100 similar to 60D/D7000.

Your interests may vary...of course....but many of us don't need the 10fps and higher price...and would really like a new body for spring & summer...vs waiting until summer is over. Right ? yeah !

For me, 70D needs to have two-axis electronic levels to be interested. I don't care about WIFI and GPS, which could be given though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Like?
In reply to rwl408, Feb 24, 2013

Levels...yes, I'm getting used to those...and R useful.

x-vision
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?

jonrobertp wrote:

So lets talk about the new 70D instead !! ...a camera to successfully compete with the D7100.

You wish

And I do too ... but I doubt it.

Eigth months ago, I also thought that the 70D would get better specs and that it would regain the flagship status in the 1.6x lineup - while the 7D would just get discontinued.
And also that any model above $1500 would be FF.

This is the sensible thing to do in 2013 - and Nikon is doing just that with the D7100 and D600.

Given the very lame specs of the 6D, though, I'm now expecting a very lame 70D.

This p*ssed me off big time, as I'm really envious of what the Nikon guys just got ... for $1200

jonrobertp
Like?
In reply to x-vision, Feb 24, 2013

Well, if the 70D is a dud like the 60D sorta was, guess I'l have to go for the Nik or wait for the 7DII.

I'm still optimistic about the 70.   And that's a bit rare, me being optimistic about such. lol.

rwl408
Like?

Indispensable for landscape users, especially not on a tripod. I laughed when found out that 60D only has horizontal level. Who in the world cares about level doesn't shoot vertically? Some idiot marketing decision. I hope 70D doesn't give me another laugh.

-- hide signature --

Rick

Intros64
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?

I'm most interested if the supposed 70D will have a new generation of Canon sensor tech with better DR, since I do most landscape and travel photo. Some up to date 40D/50D spec will be OK . If 70D sensor will have the same level of performance as 60D and just more resolution I will skip and continue with my 40D and wait for a 6D decrease in price or wait for the next turn...

Intros64's gear list:Intros64's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,694Gear list
Like?
In reply to Intros64, Feb 24, 2013

I am really happy with my Canon cropped sensor lenses: 10-22, 15-85, 60 macro, 55-250.  I especially like the 55-250 since it has surprisingly good IQ and I hate lugging my 100-400L.  Although I really like these lenses, I wish I didn't own any of them.  If I could easily start over I might consider FF (that would be a Nikon D800) but I would probably stay with APS-C.  Without the Canon lenses, I would certainly consider the Nikon 7100.  It sounds about perfect.

I, like many others, cannot understand what is going wrong with Canon.  By now I would have expected new FF sensors in the 40 mpix range and cropped sensors at least at 24 mpix.  I am primarily a landscaper so lots of megapixels and the ability to print really big is very important.  Landscapes - and in fact almost any image - just come alive when printed big.  Large prints are really not very expensive and decent sized prints can be done at home with something like the Epson 3880.

Canon, wake up.  You are starting to lose long-term, serious photographers.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
David Naylor
Contributing MemberPosts: 602Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, Feb 24, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

I am really happy with my Canon cropped sensor lenses: 10-22, 15-85, 60 macro, 55-250. I especially like the 55-250 since it has surprisingly good IQ and I hate lugging my 100-400L. Although I really like these lenses, I wish I didn't own any of them. If I could easily start over I might consider FF (that would be a Nikon D800) but I would probably stay with APS-C. Without the Canon lenses, I would certainly consider the Nikon 7100. It sounds about perfect.

I, like many others, cannot understand what is going wrong with Canon. By now I would have expected new FF sensors in the 40 mpix range and cropped sensors at least at 24 mpix. I am primarily a landscaper so lots of megapixels and the ability to print really big is very important. Landscapes - and in fact almost any image - just come alive when printed big. Large prints are really not very expensive and decent sized prints can be done at home with something like the Epson 3880.

Canon, wake up. You are starting to lose long-term, serious photographers.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

I'm in the same boat. Got several really good APS-C lenses for my 7D. I have invested in them while counting on Canon to keep improving their APS-C sensors. After god knows how many cameras with the same 18 MP sensor (five?) I'm beginning to lose faith.

Granted, I don't have any immediate need to upgrade, so Canon may still have time to shape up before I jump ship.

The problem for Canon is that if/when I decide to go FF, I could just a well switch to Nikon since I have only one lens that works on Canon FF (50 f/1.4).

David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +1 more
D Parsons
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

jonrobertp wrote:

1. Take the 7D af and refine it a bit. Even add a few more sensors. Easy to beat the AF of the 7100 since it only has 15 cross sensors all in one bunch in the middle. The single ones...always weaker.

Sounds good.

No. I'm for the bigger size of the 40/50D.

3. Native iso 12800...and make it a bit better than any crop sensor out right now. They can do it, if they want to. This detail will sell more bodies...worth the extra coin. It can be done.

I rarely shoot above 400 but would like good perf up to 1600.

5. Keep the price under 1500....even if it means only about 7 fps, no swivel, and no gimmics. Just fine high IQ performance.

I'd be fine with 7fps. Price needs to be under $1500, most likely $1200 to compete with Nikon.

Your interests may vary...of course....but many of us don't need the 10fps and higher price...and would really like a new body for spring & summer...vs waiting until summer is over. Right ? yeah !

I need a new camera. My 40D passed away last November. I have a bunch of Canon lenses and would rather not switch systems at this point. Nothing Canon has currently excites me. Nikon has introduced something like 4 new cameras in the past two years....Canon? One-the 6D. (I'm not counting the 5dIII-too expensive for me.)

I'm looking for, in no order of preference, 2 levels, better iso perf, 7 fps, better autofocus with more focus points.

If Canon drops the ball on this, which I expect them to do, I'll probably get an OM-d and a couple of lenses til Canon sees the light.

rwl408
Like?
In reply to D Parsons, Feb 24, 2013

D Parsons wrote:

If Canon drops the ball on this, which I expect them to do, I'll probably get an OM-d and a couple of lenses til Canon sees the light.

I think D7000 is another option unless size is important. I would have chosen OVF over EVF though.

-- hide signature --

Rick

jonrobertp
Like?
In reply to rwl408, Feb 25, 2013

If the 70 delivers the AF from the 7D...it'l be a hit.  And outclass the 7100.  But NOT with 9 only.

mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,797Gear list
Like?
Re: I just killed my 50D...
In reply to jonrobertp, Feb 25, 2013

....so I'm watching too! But I can get a used 50D for 499.00 at B&H. I also have plenty of batteries and CF cards too..

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
mailman88
Like?
Re: 70D fans ...better have auto-focus adjustment!

.....if not, the 70D is dead in the water!

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
mailman88
Like?

....what will be the 70D's megapixel sensor? Over or under 24mp...

jonrobertp
Like?
In reply to mailman88, Feb 25, 2013

mailman88 wrote:

....what will be the 70D's megapixel sensor? Over or under 24mp...

yeah, we need a new sensor ...it's time.   About 20-22 ish.  my guess.

Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?

jonrobertp wrote:

Frankly I'm glad that I wasn't banned again and can add my 2 cents again. The 7D is a such a well built camera that needs only software upgrading and it is so fast that its nuts at 8fps.

This photo was taken today of a wild turkey basically starving looking for anything to eat.

It was taken through a double-glazed window. A jpeg 500mms in A/V and processed in Adobe Raw and CS3. I use H shooting setting and can use that great shutter button to take only one if needed too.

Only a mother could love this face...

Ubilam.

-- hide signature --

Digital photography gear is consistently inconsistent.

JRFlorendo
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?

jonrobertp wrote:

If the 70 delivers the AF from the 7D...it'l be a hit. And outclass the 7100. But NOT with 9 only.

7D has more x-type AF pts than D7100, it is also spread the broadest(horizontal & vertical) among eos bodies(including 1DX) with a DUAL x-type sensor in the center. Right now, 60D beats D7100 in 15 raw buffer capacity at 14bit full resolution. All Canon needs to do in 70D's AF is refine 7D's AF; add AF sensitivity adjustment, add accel/decel adjustment, make sure the center dual x-type sensitive to -3 EV and support AF at F8. HOWEVER, I think Canon will use 6D's AF system in 70D, which will be an EPIC failure IMHO.

Canon should add these features that are already implemented in various eos bodies;

1. Quiet mode in variable frame rates.

2. Copy crop mode of D7100 in 1.2X.

3. Wifi & GPS.

4. Dual CF or SD cards would be nice, a single CF is ok, just make sure the raw buffer does not get JAM at 6th frame.

5. Like 50D, unibody alloy magnesium exterior shell, wheel/joy stick would be nice.

ammac12
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?

jonrobertp wrote:

I'm with you on the wait for a 70D!  I'm considering a 7D, but am turned off by the weight compared to the 60D.  I hope that Canon will continue to offer a larger body, crop sensor camera at a competitive price point like Nikon's 7100.  I would like to see a 70D body priced no more than $1200.

As for specs, the Digic 5 sensor is what's out there and two are rumored to be going in the 7DmkII.  If Canon can fit 24 mp's for the mkII, why not put one in a 70D?  I like the idea of borrowing the 7D's AF system, but would think something between the mkII and current 7D is doable.  I'll take  7 fps all day and be happy.  No swivel, no bluetooth, and no wifi is fine by me.  A little more weather sealing than the 60D and autofocus in video mode would be nice.  Increase the IQ and NR at high ISO and the camera is a no brainer for me.  I hope Canon is listening!

Are we there yet?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads