EOS 6D optical viewfinder vs. Rebel T2i

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions
djourisman
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
EOS 6D optical viewfinder vs. Rebel T2i
Feb 23, 2013

I currently have a Rebel T2i with which I am very happy. I am intrigued, however, by the new EOS 6D with full frame sensor. However, I am concerned by one aspect of the 6D - the optical viewfinder.

The T2i viewfinder has an 0.87x magnification, while the 6D has an 0.71x magnification.

Does anyone have any experience with the 6D viewfinder? Is the view noticeably smaller than the T2i? Any comments or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Crono_DL
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
Re: EOS 6D optical viewfinder vs. Rebel T2i
In reply to djourisman, Feb 23, 2013

The 6D viewfinder is not smaller than the one on the T2i. The magnification might be less, but the size of the sensor is much bigger, so that's the difference. Take a look at the 6D review here on dpreview. It shows the viewfinder size relative to other full frame SLRs, which are all much larger than any APS-C optical viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

Danny

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
djourisman
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
In reply to Crono_DL, Feb 23, 2013

Very helpful! Thank you.

Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,690
Like?
In reply to Crono_DL, Feb 23, 2013

Crono_DL wrote:

The 6D viewfinder is not smaller than the one on the T2i. The magnification might be less, but the size of the sensor is much bigger, so that's the difference.

That's right. The industry took the rather unhelpful decision to use the same 50 mm focal length as the standard for measuring viewfinder magnification, regardless of sensor size. I am quite sure this was to make the specification of the crop-sensor viewfinder appear better than it actually is. Anyhow, this means that in effect you need to apply a crop factor to the T2i magnification and the size of the frame seen in the viewfinder is actually 1.6x smaller than the numbers quoted by the OP would imply.

The 6D viewfinder image is in fact 0.71/0.87 x 1.6 = approx. 1.3x larger than the T2i's.

Also the 6D's viewfinder is brighter, partly because of the lower magnification and partly because it's a pentaprism (vs pentamirror in the T2i).

lapage
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
In reply to djourisman, Feb 24, 2013

I had no idea how small the Rebel's viewfinder was until I bought the 6D. I think the larger viewfinder alone, justifies the upgrade. After shooting for several days on the 6D, I picked up the T1i to do some comparison shots and suddenly found it awkward to use.

Larry

lapage's gear list:lapage's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,946Gear list
Like?
industry mistake
In reply to djourisman, Feb 24, 2013

djourisman wrote:

The T2i viewfinder has an 0.87x magnification, while the 6D has an 0.71x magnification.

This is an industry mistake, generally to their advantage.  The thing is they use a 50mm lens for this calculation instead of a 50mm Field of View, which would be about using a 31mm lens on aps-c dSLRs.

Does anyone have any experience with the 6D viewfinder? Is the view noticeably smaller than the T2i? Any comments or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

What it turns out is aps-c dSLRs OVFs are about 0.57 to 0.62x magnification compared to 0.7x about on 35mm dSLRs.  So the 6D OVF will be much bigger than the T2i OVF.

RedFox88
Like?
In reply to Crono_DL, Feb 24, 2013

Crono_DL wrote:

The 6D viewfinder is not smaller than the one on the T2i. The magnification might be less, but the size of the sensor is much bigger, so that's the difference.\

Not correct at all.  See my reply to the OP.

Steve Balcombe
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 24, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Crono_DL wrote:

The 6D viewfinder is not smaller than the one on the T2i. The magnification might be less, but the size of the sensor is much bigger, so that's the difference.\

Not correct at all. See my reply to the OP.

It is correct - the magnification of the 6D viewfinder is less. However you are applying that lower magnification to a much larger frame, and the end result is both bigger and brighter. The numbers are in my previous reply.

RedFox88
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Feb 24, 2013

Steve Balcombe wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Crono_DL wrote:

It is correct - the magnification of the 6D viewfinder is less. However you are applying that lower magnification to a much larger frame, and the end result is both bigger and brighter. The numbers are in my previous reply.

Again, no.  What camera  makers are doing is using a 50mm lens on aps-c and 35mm dSLRs instead of using a 50mm FOV.  If you back off and use 31mm on aps-c (to get a 50mm FOV) you'd see the magnification of the viewfinder back down to to about 0.6x instead of 0.87x.

Steve Balcombe
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 24, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Crono_DL wrote:

Again, no. What camera makers are doing is using a 50mm lens on aps-c and 35mm dSLRs instead of using a 50mm FOV. If you back off and use 31mm on aps-c (to get a 50mm FOV) you'd see the magnification of the viewfinder back down to to about 0.6x instead of 0.87x.

Just stop beating the same drum for a minute and think about what you are saying. What you are describing is using the lens to change the magnification. The magnification of the 6D's viewfinder is less - why else do you think full frame viewfinders are invariably brighter than crop camera viewfinders - even the best pentaprism viewfinders like the 7D?

Also read my first post in which I talk about crop factor - I do understand the relevance of it.

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268
Like?
In reply to djourisman, Feb 25, 2013

I didn't read all the other replies so sorry if I'm repeating, but to simplify it...

The 550D (T2i) has a 22.3mm x 14.9mm sensor, so 332.3mm (square) size. The 6D has a 35.8mm x 23.9mm sensor, so 855.6mm (square) size. The 550D viewfinder magnification is x0.87 of 332.3mm which is 289.1mm (square). The 6D viewfinder magnification is x0.71 of 885.6mm which is 628.8mm (square).

So the difference is about 3 times in surface area or 1:1.75 in proportion advantage to the 6D.

Steve Balcombe
Like?
In reply to clarnibass, Feb 25, 2013

clarnibass wrote:

I didn't read all the other replies so sorry if I'm repeating, but to simplify it...

The 550D (T2i) has a 22.3mm x 14.9mm sensor, so 332.3mm (square) size. The 6D has a 35.8mm x 23.9mm sensor, so 855.6mm (square) size. The 550D viewfinder magnification is x0.87 of 332.3mm which is 289.1mm (square). The 6D viewfinder magnification is x0.71 of 885.6mm which is 628.8mm (square).

So the difference is about 3 times in surface area or 1:1.75 in proportion advantage to the 6D.

Good idea to use the actual sizes to explain it, but I'm afraid your numbers are completely wrong. 0.87 and 0.71 are the linear magnifications, so if you want to compare apparent areas they must be multiplied by 0.87^2 and 0.71^2 respectively.

The actual advantage to the 6D viewfinder is 1.31x linear (as per my first post) or 1.70x area.

Adza
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
indeed... let this be a warning
In reply to lapage, Feb 25, 2013

I had no idea how small the Rebel's viewfinder was until I bought the 6D. I think the larger viewfinder alone, justifies the upgrade. After shooting for several days on the 6D, I picked up the T1i to do some comparison shots and suddenly found it awkward to use.

Larry

I've got a 550d, and recently purchased a 6d. The viewfinder in my 550d was NEVER a problem BEFORE... but now it's extremely noticeable.

It's true in this instance, what you don't know doesn't hurt you... But once you know..... DON'T use a 6d unless your willing to notice the difference in future, or have spare cash to spend.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads