Histograms in LR or PS for BW platinum prints

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions
Bill Prosser
Contributing MemberPosts: 869
Like?
Histograms in LR or PS for BW platinum prints
Feb 23, 2013

I'm looking for information about how would the histogram of a properly scanned BW platinum print differ from the histogram of a BW silver halide print? I want to understand what sort of histograms I should be seeking when I work on BW images and try to give them a platinum print look? Does have to do with the mid-tones, the black point, the white point, or what? Is the Clarity slider in LR involved? The end points? What? Thanks in advance for your advice. Bill Prosser

steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,079
Like?
Re: Histograms in LR or PS for BW platinum prints
In reply to Bill Prosser, Feb 24, 2013

Your first problem is that is no such thing as a properly scanned print. Just as with using a camera where exposure is under the creative control of the photographer so it is with scanning. The resulting histogram will depend on a large number of subjective parameters and no two operators will do it the same way.

My advice is to base your decision of the visual results, not the histogram shape. By all means use the histogram to avoid blowing highlights and shadows but don't be a slave to it.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Prosser
Like?
In reply to steephill, Feb 24, 2013

I'm not talking about scanning a platinum print. I''m asking how would a theoretical platinum print histogram differ from a histogram of a silver halide print? My guess is that a P-print would have a much differnet distribution in the mid-tones? Thanks for your thougths. I'm trying to mimic that P-print  look with my digital prints, if that is possible. Bill P.

Redcrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251
Like?
In reply to Bill Prosser, Feb 24, 2013

This might help:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/platinum.shtml

In particular, this quote from the above link:

"The natural response curve of the chemistry is very contrasty in the mid tones and very flat in the shadows and highlights"

And if you Google "platinum print histogram" this shows up at the top of the list.
http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/tag/tom-baril/

Bill Prosser
Like?
In reply to Redcrown, Mar 1, 2013

Very helpful. Thank you so much. I will investigate your suggestions. Bill P.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads