a99 vs. mklll

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions
nikoir
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
a99 vs. mklll
Feb 23, 2013

I have been using a700 for 5 years. Had invested in few lenses like sal70200g, sigma 2470 f2.8, old minolta 50mm f1.7 and a flash 42am. I think this is a time to replace the camera, I am looking at a99 or Canon MKlll.  My biggest complain with a700 is the noise and general image quality in low lighting like indoors. I live in Alaska and we don't much sunny bright days, so before I invest in cz lenses any suggestions if it is a time to switch over to Canon?

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305
Like?
Re: a99 vs. mklll
In reply to nikoir, Feb 23, 2013

Yes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cacophonic Visions
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?

A99.

-- hide signature --

Sony A77, A99, Fujifilm X-Pro1, KM Maxxum 7D

Cacophonic Visions's gear list:Cacophonic Visions's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +13 more
splashy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372Gear list
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Feb 23, 2013

The first time I was in Alaska i was amazed of the bright view you got, because of the lack of polution.

Not having a bright day because the clouds are there doesn't make much difference for the camera, what I know if my picture out of the A99 is a bit dull due to clouds I often can pimp it up with LR 4 and also the camera setting like cloudy or sunny makes a difference and you can make the pictures in RAW so you make it as 'sunny' as you like.

But in the end this is for Sony, Nikon or Canon almost the same, still I think Sony colors are nicer.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
JRDavis2
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?

I just upgraded from the A700 to the A99 and love it. I live in the Seattle area, so I have some of the same concerns with limited sunlight during certain times of year. So far I'm very impressed with high ISO quality on the A99. I think ISO 6400 is about equivalent to ISO 800 on my A700. I love the EVF to more easily predict what photos will look like before I take them, and the ergonomics of the camera just feel right. I played around with the Mark III, but it's heavier than the A99 and I just didn't like the feel of the camera and button layout as well as the A99.

robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167
Like?

I have an A99 and I borrowed my friends 5D mark III for a week.Both are very nice cameras,but I prefer my A99.

The 5d definitely has a magenta color cast typical of Canon.Not a big deal if you shoot raw,but I find I do much less tweaking with Sony cameras.Both feel good in the hand,but I prefer the ergonomics of the Sony.I find the A99 metering more consistent also.

Canon's jpeg engine handles noise a lot better,but at the expense of detail.Shooting raw,the Canon has a little advantage,but not much.About 1/3rd a stop,maybe a 1/2 stop as you go above iso 6400.

The A99 resolves better detail than the 5d.Granted I was comparing my 2470z vs. the 24-105f4 on the Canon.But even in the center and stopped down to f8 the zeiss clearly resolves more detail.I am sure if you had the new Canon 2470F2.8 II it would be much closer,perhaps the Canon would even come out on top.That's where cost comes in to play.

All the equivalent Canon lenses to my Sony lenses cost about $300 to $400 more each.The only equivalent lenses that cost less are the Canon 135f2 and the 100-400L.The body itself is more expensive as well.

Both are fine cameras.I hope some of this is of use to you.Good luck with your decision

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?

They are both well balanced, very capable cameras. All depending on your handling preference. If you are happy with your lenses then stay with Sony is more logical choice. I use A99 as well as Canon 7D (crop sensor). If I have to pick one camera it would be Sony not because it's a full frame but mainly because of better user interface, better Zeiss and G lenses I have.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Timothy S Broadley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,418
Like?

nikoir wrote:

I have been using a700 for 5 years. Had invested in few lenses like sal70200g, sigma 2470 f2.8, old minolta 50mm f1.7 and a flash 42am. I think this is a time to replace the camera, I am looking at a99 or Canon MKlll. My biggest complain with a700 is the noise and general image quality in low lighting like indoors. I live in Alaska and we don't much sunny bright days, so before I invest in cz lenses any suggestions if it is a time to switch over to Canon?

Well I went through a similar exercise including the possibility of the Nikon 800. I scoured the web and compared photos and read reviews.

Ultimately, I decided to get the a99. In general I prefer the colors of the Sony which was a basically a tie with the Nikon and preferred over the Canon. WRT to noise, I preferred the slighly weaker AA filter of the Sony giving somewhat better detail at the expense of slightly greater noise. I also liked the DR of the a99. I also have a ton of Sony lenses.

What I found was that if I went the Nikon or Canon route, I would have gone for the D4 or the 1ds. Bot of these were in the $6-7k range. It seemed to me that going with the a99 was about 90-95% of those cameras (my guesstimate).

I only have had the a99 for a day and I love the ergonometrics, the flexibility and overall performance. I haven't really taken it for a serious test drive yet as I have been spendng more time getting familar with it. This is quite a camera and it will take some time to really extract the best from it. BTW I come from the a900/A700 combo.

Hope this helps

Tim

nikoir
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Feb 23, 2013

any good points why?

nikoir
Like?
In reply to JRDavis2, Feb 23, 2013

I handled mklll at the store, it was not that comfortable. But reading all good specs that canon advice

makes me think that they are better all around camera. How does auto focus works for you?

nikoir
Like?
In reply to robert614, Feb 23, 2013

how does auto focus working or you on both cameras?

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?

If the Canon has no IBIS no. I have the CZ 24-70mm and its worth shooting Sony just to use the lens.

nikoir
Like?
In reply to Timothy S Broadley, Feb 23, 2013

How does auto focus works for you, how good does it track moving objects, as just like Sony advertise?

JohnD2000
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

Either camera will give you a huge gain in usable ISO range. The difference between the two, however, will be tiny.

The cost if switching (replacing lenses and accessories) will be greater than staying with a Sony.

Can you rent both cams for a proper side-by-side test?

nikoir
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, Feb 23, 2013

ibis is a major plus!

nikoir
Like?
In reply to JohnD2000, Feb 23, 2013

I thought about it, i will try if I find rental place in alaska.

robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167
Like?

nikoir wrote:

how does auto focus working or you on both cameras?

I found the autofocus on both to be excellent.The 5d has better coverage of autofocus points.The 5d AF is based on the 1d,so it is very sophisticated and tweakable.But the A99's AF-D is no slouch either.It may not be as sophisticated as the Canon,but when it locks on,it holds focus very well.

I didn't do enough shooting with the 5d to determine which has the better keeper rate,but both are excellent.

If I had to pick a winner,it would probably be the 5d,but the Sony's focus peaking and magnification in the viewfinder evens the playing field for me.

Robert

nikoir
Like?
In reply to robert614, Feb 23, 2013

I need this for taking pictures of my kids playing, a700 is little bit slow for this.

lim yau tong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,872Gear list
Like?
MK3 has an slight edge over A99

in terms of noise at cery high iso but it is also more expensive. I like A99 because of the evf. The only thing that A99 may loose out to Nikon and Canon is in indoor sports. Otherwise it is a better camera.

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +25 more
nikoir
Like?
Re: MK3 has an slight edge over A99
In reply to lim yau tong, Feb 23, 2013

Do you know  what exactly I loose, because I am in hockey league and sometimes would like to take some pictures indoor ice rink.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads