Black body a must for your X100s purchase decision?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Questions
thegraduate
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Black body a must for your X100s purchase decision?
Feb 23, 2013

I am just curious if I am alone when I say I will not purchase the new X100s unless it is available in black, and soon... As much as I (really) like the specs of the new X100s, I would prefer the more contemporary and subtle appearance of a black version... similar to the LE X100.

thegraduate's gear list:thegraduate's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Nikon Coolpix SQ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Nikon D40X Nikon D5000 +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Imagefoundry
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
Re: Black body a must for your X100s purchase decision?
In reply to thegraduate, Feb 23, 2013

I remember, years ago, having this hilarious conversation with a sales rep at a camera store. He was claiming that people from the city prefer black, while people from out of town like silver.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,428Gear list
Like?
In reply to Imagefoundry, Feb 23, 2013

Imagefoundry wrote:

I remember, years ago, having this hilarious conversation with a sales rep at a camera store. He was claiming that people from the city prefer black, while people from out of town like silver.

Stealth, I don't believe.  If you must have black wait until they offer it, I bet they will.  I personally prefer silver after years of shooting with black cameras.

Contributing MemberPosts: 879Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Feb 23, 2013

Joel Stern wrote:

Imagefoundry wrote:

Stealth, I don't believe. If you must have black wait until they offer it, I bet they will. I personally prefer silver after years of shooting with black cameras.

X2.

I keep my silver X100 on my desk, an Oak rolltop version circa 1928. The camera has it's Fujifilm brown leather strap and lower half case on, ready to go yet it seems at home on the desk and the  fine aura of the small scene takes me back to better days. I could not buy a black one. I've had enough of that.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
Felix11
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
In reply to 94, Feb 23, 2013

if the black version was released 6 months before the silver ... I would wait.

Felix11's gear list:Felix11's gear list
Ricoh GR
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to thegraduate, Feb 23, 2013

I'd prefer a blue camera body to match my denim cut-offs I wear with a pageboy hat, mesh singlet, argyle socks and a pair of Birkenstocks that I wear when shooting stealth in Williamsburg.

tazmac
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zardoz, Feb 23, 2013

Zardoz wrote:

I'd prefer a blue camera body to match my denim cut-offs I wear with a pageboy hat, mesh singlet, argyle socks and a pair of Birkenstocks that I wear when shooting stealth in Williamsburg.

South or North Williamsburg. If South black is a must!

Rob13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
So Far....: Black body a must for your X100s purchase decision?
In reply to thegraduate, Feb 24, 2013

thegraduate wrote:

I am just curious if I am alone when I say I will not purchase the new X100s unless it is available in black, and soon... As much as I (really) like the specs of the new X100s, I would prefer the more contemporary and subtle appearance of a black version... similar to the LE X100.

....you seem quite alone. Its okay, to be different. Remember Apple's slogan "Think Different!"

But to answer your question, it doesn't matter to me too much, but then I think I'm not in the majority with other subjects, like I have a Sigma DP2 and who in the right mind would get one of those.

So follow your own drummer if color of the camera is important to you. After all you're the one that has to look at it everyday.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Trevor Kloeden
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?

I've shot with black bodies...

I've shot with silver bodies (Currently have a silver X100)...

My next purchase will be a silver X100s (Personal preference only)...

And I'm a country guy hence I conform to the silver theory as above...  

Trevor Kloeden
Aussie retired in the Philippines
https://trevorkloeden.wordpress.com
http://trevor.kloeden.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26503291@N03/sets/

Trevor Kloeden's gear list:Trevor Kloeden's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D100 Fujifilm X-T1 +4 more
ljclark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291Gear list
Like?

thegraduate wrote:

Maybe not "alone", but maybe in the minority.

Silver for me.

That said, every other camera I have (X10, D300 (2 ea.), FM2n, M9, M6, GXR, Horizon, Minox GT-E) -- except for one Pansonic P&S -- is black.

But there is something about my X100 (and the X100s that is on order from my local camera store) that I prefer in silver.  Some people don't even recognize it as a digital.  It is kinda retro and non-intimidating. (Maybe Fuji is more strategic in their marketing than we give them credit.)  The X20 on order is black.

And contemporary?  I got my first black body Nikon FTn in 1973.

But heck.  This is about aesthetics and I'm not sure I could come up with either a "right" or a "wrong" answer. 

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X30 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +36 more
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,344Gear list
Like?
Pretty meaningless, but whatever floats your boat...

I prefer the silver and black look, but I'm absolutely positive because that's what most decent cameras I used were back when I was coming up in the '60s and '70s. I had a Canon half-frame, a Minolta SLR, a Pentax K1000, and a Nikon FE-2 (IIRC) that were all silver with black. So I was happy to get the X100 that way and the OMD that way. And if I get an X100s or an X20, I'll probably go silver and black too. But I have a black X-Pro and had a black X10 and never minded even the smallest amount. I don't think it amounts to a hill of beans when it comes to stealth out on the streets. I've done street shooting with all kinds of cameras with all different styles, including a bright red GF1 for a while. Never mattered a bit.

So get what you like - it doesn't matter beyond that...

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,025Gear list
Like?

My experience between my silver X100 and black XP1 is that the last one is much more discrete in the crowd...

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Pasaguy
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?

Silver is much nicer IMO and the camera is discreet no matter the color.

Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to baobob, Feb 24, 2013

baobob wrote:

My experience between my silver X100 and black XP1 is that the last one is much more discrete in the crowd...

-- hide signature --

I still have trouble buying this.  The XP is bigger with a protruding lens.  The X100 is smaller and less likely to call attention to itself, just my opinion.

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Feb 24, 2013

Joel Stern wrote:

baobob wrote:

-- hide signature --

I still have trouble buying this. The XP is bigger with a protruding lens. The X100 is smaller and less likely to call attention to itself, just my opinion.

Not to mention the silent leaf shutter. Though the thread is about a black vs. silver X100s, which is much murkier territory.

Also, since when is it necessary to have an invisible camera that allows you to surreptitiously take pictures of people? I know that it's all a matter of personal opinion, but I've always felt that the best street photography was done without the photographer needing to hide the fact that they're shooting; that having the subjects be aware of the camera and comfortable with it usually provides a more interesting scene than the giant piles of "street shots" out there that basically amount to "hey look, I managed to sneak a picture of this weirdly-dressed guy/pretty girl/homeless person without them noticing." And that has much more to do with your method as a photographer than the camera you're using...at least to the extent that once you're carrying around a small mirrorless as opposed to a big old DSLR, the differences become minimal.

(Of course, having said that, I'm not much of a street shooter...but two of the four pictures of strangers I've taken that I would count among my best overall happen to be of their backs. So I don't necessarily practice what I preach! Though actually, it still fits into my argument, as it doesn't matter what color the camera was in those cases ;-))

One reason I prefer the silver is that I get the (possibly entirely fabricated) feeling that the retro look makes the camera slightly less attractive to thieves who aren't knowledgable about photo gear. I don't walk around clutching my X100 for dear life like I used to with my SLRs.

penuel
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?

I agree, wait for the black one.  Fuji is just toying with us.  The silver one looks like a tourist camera.  Hey that's just a joke.  I'd be happy to have one in any color.  But I think black will look way cooler.

penuel's gear list:penuel's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
ljclark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291Gear list
Like?
In reply to baobob, Feb 24, 2013

baobob wrote:

To be truthful, I'm not sure if a participant in an activity (such as shooting in a crowd) can honestly evaluate how discreet he/she really is.  The photographer's mental state, physical stance, eye contact, etc., might be as important as the color of the camera.

Now...If you happen to be wearing all black, then the silver camera would probably be discrete.  With the same black clothing, a black camera might be more discreet. 

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X30 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +36 more
Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Feb 24, 2013

cptrios wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

baobob wrote:

-- hide signature --

I still have trouble buying this. The XP is bigger with a protruding lens. The X100 is smaller and less likely to call attention to itself, just my opinion.

Not to mention the silent leaf shutter. Though the thread is about a black vs. silver X100s, which is much murkier territory.

Also, since when is it necessary to have an invisible camera that allows you to surreptitiously take pictures of people? I know that it's all a matter of personal opinion, but I've always felt that the best street photography was done without the photographer needing to hide the fact that they're shooting; that having the subjects be aware of the camera and comfortable with it usually provides a more interesting scene than the giant piles of "street shots" out there that basically amount to "hey look, I managed to sneak a picture of this weirdly-dressed guy/pretty girl/homeless person without them noticing." And that has much more to do with your method as a photographer than the camera you're using...at least to the extent that once you're carrying around a small mirrorless as opposed to a big old DSLR, the differences become minimal.

(Of course, having said that, I'm not much of a street shooter...but two of the four pictures of strangers I've taken that I would count among my best overall happen to be of their backs. So I don't necessarily practice what I preach! Though actually, it still fits into my argument, as it doesn't matter what color the camera was in those cases ;-))

One reason I prefer the silver is that I get the (possibly entirely fabricated) feeling that the retro look makes the camera slightly less attractive to thieves who aren't knowledgable about photo gear. I don't walk around clutching my X100 for dear life like I used to with my SLRs.

Plus, there is no such thing as an invisible camera, over cell phone used as as camera.  I agree with your points about thieves too.

fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?

I would prefer it... but then, I'd also prefer a 35 mm x100s

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,025Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Feb 24, 2013

Yes

I wanted to emphasize on the black, not the camera itself

Black is much more discrete IMHO in crowd

Cheers

Robert

-- hide signature --

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads