Paper for Panoramas

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,254
Like?
Re: Several answers
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 1, 2013

Rkelac wrote:

Next time I'll try with the curl down. It might be easier to handle the paper. (I imagine that one-sided paper is coated on the inside of the roll, so I guess that usually the curl is up in printing from roll paper. Is this correct?)

No, C1S (coated one side) paper has the coating on the outside.

For most RR papers, which are fairly lightweight, the curl isn't going to matter much. For most stiffer and thicker papers, 300-500 g/m² range, you are probably going to have to decurl at least the leading edge.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 1, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

No, C1S (coated one side) paper has the coating on the outside.

For most RR papers, which are fairly lightweight, the curl isn't going to matter much. For most stiffer and thicker papers, 300-500 g/m² range, you are probably going to have to decurl at least the leading edge.

Brian A

Thanks.  I'll try it with the curl down.  Red River Aurora paper is only 250 so it does seem easy to handle and run through the printer.

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 2, 2013

I defer to Hugowolf's greater experience with papers.  The RR UltraPro Gloss I use is the heaviest paper I have ever printed with.  Yes, curl is down.  And yes, I feed it through the cut paper slots without de-curling....without trouble so far.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli www.flyfishingfotography.com

Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?

Red River's Aurora Art papers are double sided, so it doesn't matter with them which way you feed the paper.

For roll paper only coated one side, the coated side is on the outside of the roll. So you need to feed the paper curl down.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to Tom-C, Mar 2, 2013

Tom-C wrote:

Red River's Aurora Art papers are double sided, so it doesn't matter with them which way you feed the paper.

For roll paper only coated one side, the coated side is on the outside of the roll. So you need to feed the paper curl down.

OK, so curl up or down doesn't really make at lot of sense. It is like turning something that revolves left or right, it is depends your perspective. The only unambiguous way of describing it is clockwise or anticlockwise (or counter clockwise if you are an English speaker).

When you say ‘curl down’, do you mean concave down or concave up – it is curved both ways.

Brian A

Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 2, 2013

The way I think of curl down is the direction the paper heads once it starts to exit the front of the printer.

Curl down means the leading end of the paper is heading towards the floor, not towards the ceiling.

But you are right to bring this up. Different people may have different mental images of what is going on.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to Tom-C, Mar 2, 2013

Tom-C wrote:

The way I think of curl down is the direction the paper heads once it starts to exit the front of the printer.

Which is the opposite of how I would have imagined it. It is like the English and American use of the verb table. In English it means to put on the table for discussion. In American, it means to shelve. I presume that no one in Europe could imagine having enough space to consider a table a place of storage.

Brian A

Ursula Freer
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?

Rkelac wrote:

Wow! Just finished my first panorama print on Red River Aurora White roll paper. I cut off a 17x36 piece, fed it into the rear manual feed input (inside of the curl up, printer took the paper first try), put the sheet feeder extensions up to limit the curl on the paper going into the feeder, and it printed fine. The 1/4 inch margin was maintained over the entire print so there was no skewing.

Next time I'll try with the curl down. It might be easier to handle the paper. (I imagine that one-sided paper is coated on the inside of the roll, so I guess that usually the curl is up in printing from roll paper. Is this correct?) This time I printed on the inside of the curl because there were some marks on the outside of the roll. Shouldn't be a problem now that I'm past that section.

I tried printing with the curl up and it got pretty scary as the printer started making strange noises and the edges of the paper came out saturated with ink! I'll never try that again!

-- hide signature --
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,160
Like?
In reply to Ursula Freer, Mar 2, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

Rkelac wrote:

Wow! Just finished my first panorama print on Red River Aurora White roll paper. I cut off a 17x36 piece, fed it into the rear manual feed input (inside of the curl up, printer took the paper first try), put the sheet feeder extensions up to limit the curl on the paper going into the feeder, and it printed fine. The 1/4 inch margin was maintained over the entire print so there was no skewing.

Next time I'll try with the curl down. It might be easier to handle the paper. (I imagine that one-sided paper is coated on the inside of the roll, so I guess that usually the curl is up in printing from roll paper. Is this correct?) This time I printed on the inside of the curl because there were some marks on the outside of the roll. Shouldn't be a problem now that I'm past that section.

I tried printing with the curl up and it got pretty scary as the printer started making strange noises and the edges of the paper came out saturated with ink! I'll never try that again!

-- hide signature --

If the curl at the leading edge corners is excessive, the printer head will physically will strike the paper surface which causes what you expereinced.

Bes thing to do it make 100% sure you leading and trailing edges are free of curling and are flat.

By the way head strikes are not to healthy to the print head surface.

RR has panorama pre cut sheets which will be nice and flat.

Joe

Rkelac
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 2, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Joe

The problem with Red River panorama paper is that it only comes in a 13 inch width.  For 17 inch you have to buy  roll paper or cut down very large sheets.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,160
Like?

Rkelac wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Joe

The problem with Red River panorama paper is that it only comes in a 13 inch width. For 17 inch you have to buy roll paper or cut down very large sheets.

You are right!

Rkelac
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 29, 2013

Anyone have any suggestions on what feed path I should use for a panorama on a 3880 printer?  The back single sheet one or the top sheet feed one?  Or does it not matter?

Rkelac
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 29, 2013

Rkelac wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions on what feed path I should use for a panorama on a 3880 printer?  The back single sheet one or the top sheet feed one?  Or does it not matter?

Never mind.  I found the answer.  I used the top path and it skewed the print.  It stopped printing at about 90% of the print and ejected the print without finishing.  The ones I did using the back path have worked fine.

Ursula Freer
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 30, 2013

Rkelac wrote:

Wow!  Just finished my first panorama print on Red River Aurora White roll paper.  I cut off a 17x36 piece, fed it into the rear manual feed input (inside of the curl up, printer took the paper first try), put the sheet feeder extensions up to limit the curl on the paper going into the feeder, and it printed fine.  The 1/4 inch margin was maintained over the entire print so there was no skewing.

Next time I'll try with the curl down.  It might be easier to handle the paper.  (I imagine that one-sided paper is coated on the inside of the roll, so I guess that usually the curl is up in printing from roll paper.  Is this correct?)  This time I printed on the inside of the curl because there were some marks on the outside of the roll.  Shouldn't be a problem now that I'm past that section.

My rolls (one sided) are coated on the outside of the roll. Do you need a special driver  to print that long?

-- hide signature --
Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to Ursula Freer, Mar 30, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

Rkelac wrote:

Wow!  Just finished my first panorama print on Red River Aurora White roll paper.  I cut off a 17x36 piece, fed it into the rear manual feed input (inside of the curl up, printer took the paper first try), put the sheet feeder extensions up to limit the curl on the paper going into the feeder, and it printed fine.  The 1/4 inch margin was maintained over the entire print so there was no skewing.

Next time I'll try with the curl down.  It might be easier to handle the paper.  (I imagine that one-sided paper is coated on the inside of the roll, so I guess that usually the curl is up in printing from roll paper.  Is this correct?)  This time I printed on the inside of the curl because there were some marks on the outside of the roll.  Shouldn't be a problem now that I'm past that section.

My rolls (one sided) are coated on the outside of the roll. Do you need a special driver  to print that long?

You don't mention which printer, but I presume you are talking about the Epson 3880?

The 3880 driver prints up to 95 cm (approximately 37.4 inches). To print longer than that you would need a RIP. Which was discussed in a recent thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51177357

Brian A

cr8tions
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Paper for Panoramas
In reply to Alpha Doug, 10 months ago

I'm interested in using RR's 13x38 paper for my R3000 - how exactly did you feed this into the printer to maximize the full length of the paper?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads