Paper for Panoramas

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions
Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
Paper for Panoramas
Feb 23, 2013

I'm looking to print some panoramas on an Epson 3880 printer and would like some suggestions for satin/luster paper. So far, I was thinking about Red River Ultra Pro Satin in a 17x100 roll ($67.15) -- a fairly inexpensive option. However, I haven't dealt with roll paper before. Would it be better to find a paper that has 24x36 sheets and cut it down? Any suggestions for a satin/luster paper with 24x36 sheets?

Also, I noticed the printer looks like it will handle a little bit wider than 17 inches. How wide can you actually print?

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,628
Like?
Re: Paper for Panoramas
In reply to Rkelac, Feb 23, 2013

RedRiver offers several sizes of pre-cut pano size paper.  I have some of the 13x38 lustre.  Remember that the 38xx has a 37.x" length limit unless you start using a RIP.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,199
Like?

Rkelac wrote:

I'm looking to print some panoramas on an Epson 3880 printer and would like some suggestions for satin/luster paper. So far, I was thinking about Red River Ultra Pro Satin in a 17x100 roll ($67.15) -- a fairly inexpensive option. However, I haven't dealt with roll paper before. Would it be better to find a paper that has 24x36 sheets and cut it down? Any suggestions for a satin/luster paper with 24x36 sheets?

Also, I noticed the printer looks like it will handle a little bit wider than 17 inches. How wide can you actually print?

I agree with Howard: I think your best option for lustre/satin/pearl would be ready cut pano papers from RR.

Lots of people cut from rolls, where it helps if you have a rotary trimmer. I never enjoyed the experience. I much prefer to cut from 24 x 36 inch sheets.

I think the only coated paper you will find in Arch D (24 x 26 inches), will be proofing paper and fine art cotton rag. I don't think you will find any RC papers. Probably the nearest you would find to a lustre finish would Museo Silver Rag, and even though the price of the paper has dropped significantly over recent years, you would be looking at $270 for 25 sheets.

The 3880 max sheet width is 17.39 inches.

Brian A

Rkelac
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Feb 23, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

I agree with Howard: I think your best option for lustre/satin/pearl would be ready cut pano papers from RR.

Lots of people cut from rolls, where it helps if you have a rotary trimmer. I never enjoyed the experience. I much prefer to cut from 24 x 36 inch sheets.

I think the only coated paper you will find in Arch D (24 x 26 inches), will be proofing paper and fine art cotton rag. I don't think you will find any RC papers. Probably the nearest you would find to a lustre finish would Museo Silver Rag, and even though the price of the paper has dropped significantly over recent years, you would be looking at $270 for 25 sheets.

Brian A

Thanks Brian.  The pano paper from RR only goes up to 13 inches.  They do have custom cutting but only from sheets.  To try it out, I think I'll get a small roll and switch to a matte paper.  Aurora White is $43 (minus $5 coupon) for a 17x50 roll.  It's even quite a bit cheaper than their sheets.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Hugowolf
Like?

Rkelac wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

Brian A

Thanks Brian. The pano paper from RR only goes up to 13 inches. They do have custom cutting but only from sheets. To try it out, I think I'll get a small roll and switch to a matte paper. Aurora White is $43 (minus $5 coupon) for a 17x50 roll. It's even quite a bit cheaper than their sheets.

Yep, difficult to beat the price. For the same square footage of a high quality smooth 310 g/m² cotton rag, you would be looking at $200 for large sheets, and $120 for a 17" x 40' roll.

Brian A

Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Feb 24, 2013

I have printed on the 13" x 38" sheets, but if you want a little white space outside the image for framing, you end up with basically a 12" x 36" panorama.  I do not have a 3880, just a 3000, but I presume they work pretty much the same.  I have also printed on roll paper.  I find absolutely no problem doing this (although I wish Epson printers still had the automatic paper cutter they had on the older 2200).  Very easy to cut to final length with a good linear paper cutter.  Only issue at all is paper curl.  If you just stretch the paper out on the floor or counter, and weight the corners down for 24 hours, the paper will straighten out and relax a lot.  But for final flatness, the print must be at least cold mounted on something like gator board.  Also, even though the stated "limit" on print length is 37", I have found that using the printer driver, you can create a much longer print dimension using a "custom" print setup.  I have printed banners at 48" using roll paper and a custom setup.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Feb 24, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

Also, even though the stated "limit" on print length is 37", I have found that using the printer driver, you can create a much longer print dimension using a "custom" print setup. I have printed banners at 48" using roll paper and a custom setup.

95 cm (37.4 inches) can't be broken with the 3880 driver - there is no roll paper setting. You would have to use a RIP to get around it.

Brian A

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,628
Like?

i think he is referring to the R3000

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 24, 2013

Howard Moftich wrote:

i think he is referring to the R3000

For sure, I am just pointing out that this won't work with the original poster's 3880.

Brian A

Alpha Doug
Like?

Does the r3880 handle roll paper at all?  Is this an issue with the driver for the r3880 from Epson?  Might be a big reason to consider a RIP.  Are there any reasonably priced RIPs out there these days?

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Feb 25, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

Does the r3880 handle roll paper at all?

It isn't a roll feed printer. It is the three path sheet feed printer.

Is this an issue with the driver for the r3880 from Epson?

I don't no if I would call it an issue. It is an artificial constraint placed on the printer by Epson.

Might be a big reason to consider a RIP. Are there any reasonably priced RIPs out there these days?

There is one free beta at the moment, but otherwise no. Adding a RIP would double the price of the printer, and then you may as well look at the 4900.

Brian A

John W  Hall
Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?
Doesn't Qimage do this for less?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 25, 2013

I have a large roll printer so no experience with the length limit, but IIRC Qimage can exceed the length limit by splitting the long image into shorter parts and printing them as separate images but with no gap or overlap.

But AFAIK it cannot do this for all printers - you have to check the specs, and preferably download it for a trial period.

Qimage costs a LOT LESS than a RIP.

Hugowolf
Like?
Re: Doesn't Qimage do this for less?
In reply to John W Hall, Feb 25, 2013

John W Hall wrote:

I have a large roll printer so no experience with the length limit, but IIRC Qimage can exceed the length limit by splitting the long image into shorter parts and printing them as separate images but with no gap or overlap.

But AFAIK it cannot do this for all printers - you have to check the specs, and preferably download it for a trial period.

It would be interesting to see if it can, but I doubt it. The 3880 is a sheet feed printer. The sheet is automatically ejected at the end of a print job.

Brian A

Alpha Doug
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Feb 25, 2013

I had no idea the r3880 did not have a roll paper capability.  I suppose you could sort of rig up something to hold the roll and just feed it like regular paper.  And then you could still fool the printer by creating a "custom" paper length and width.  Or, at least, I guess you could.  Good to know if I ever upgrade? to a 17" printer.

-- hide signature --

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,016
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Feb 25, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

I had no idea the r3880 did not have a roll paper capability. I suppose you could sort of rig up something to hold the roll and just feed it like regular paper. And then you could still fool the printer by creating a "custom" paper length and width. Or, at least, I guess you could. Good to know if I ever upgrade? to a 17" printer.

-- hide signature --

There is some obscure video I saw a while ago in you tube that will the rig to hold rolls and and the guy's software, it does allow you to print to roll.

Do I trust the poster of the video and would I be willing to send hi money? Probably not. But is was interesting to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDKmJfbAkyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmxazbozyjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB15I3fhCDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrtPOASakQI

Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
Re: Several answers
In reply to Rkelac, Feb 26, 2013

Using the 3880 I cut pan paper from Red River UltraPro Gloss rolls of 24"...at 17" intrervals, cut by hand with a square tool and blade on a table with cutting groove I constructed...cheaply,  AND I cut from rolls of 17" pape with a roller cutterr...any length.....so far up to 72"

Using PrintFab, the free beta version is still circulating, the maximum width is 16.7", The max length is 500+ inches.  The biggest problem is starting the feed exactly straight or the skew can run off the paper, if printing at say 16.7"....not much margin.... before coming to the end.  There was a thread on this board (do a search) about mechanical aids at starting the feed as straight as possible, and straightening the feed once started.

So far, not knowing any better, I have been feeding through the rear cut paper feeder, with UN flattened paper, with NO problems whatsoever.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli www.flyfishingfotography.com

Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
Re: Doesn't Qimage do this for less?
In reply to John W Hall, Feb 26, 2013

QImage won't help in this case. It uses the Epson driver which for this printer has no support for roll paper. So QImage can't combine prints into a single longer result.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Feb 26, 2013

As others have said, the 3880 driver has no support for roll paper.

Setting up an external roll paper holder would be easy enough, but at the end of the first print, the driver would say "I'm done" and proceed to feed the "sheet" of paper out. The result is that the entire roll of paper would be fed through and end up on the floor in front of the printer.

I printed to my R2400 for many years, including a lot of panoramas to roll paper. When the 3800 came out I was ready to upgrade until I saw that it had no roll paper support. So I stuck with the R2400.

A few years ago I got a 7900 which has superb roll paper support. So I eventually retired the R2400 and got a 3880 to go with my 7900.

The 3880 is good with sheet paper but has no roll paper support. The 7900 has good roll paper support and not so good sheet paper support.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Ursula Freer
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
In reply to Tom-C, Feb 28, 2013

Tom-C wrote:

As others have said, the 3880 driver has no support for roll paper.

Setting up an external roll paper holder would be easy enough, but at the end of the first print, the driver would say "I'm done" and proceed to feed the "sheet" of paper out. The result is that the entire roll of paper would be fed through and end up on the floor in front of the printer.

I wonder if you could watch and turn the printer off before it dumped all the paper...

-- hide signature --
Rkelac
Like?
Re: Several answers
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Mar 1, 2013

Wow!  Just finished my first panorama print on Red River Aurora White roll paper.  I cut off a 17x36 piece, fed it into the rear manual feed input (inside of the curl up, printer took the paper first try), put the sheet feeder extensions up to limit the curl on the paper going into the feeder, and it printed fine.  The 1/4 inch margin was maintained over the entire print so there was no skewing.

Next time I'll try with the curl down.  It might be easier to handle the paper.  (I imagine that one-sided paper is coated on the inside of the roll, so I guess that usually the curl is up in printing from roll paper.  Is this correct?)  This time I printed on the inside of the curl because there were some marks on the outside of the roll.  Shouldn't be a problem now that I'm past that section.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads