How do I remove cars from background?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions
Pelagic
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
How do I remove cars from background?
Feb 23, 2013

This was just a snap, but there was no way to take a neutral background.

I'm mostly a LR 4 user and have Elements 11.  Reducing this background clutter is beyond my skills.

Is there a way, in Elements, to clone the wall and street over the messy looking cars and trucks?

I know how to add a completely different background but I'd prefer it to look natural.  And I still won't know how to fix the cars seen through the windows.

-- hide signature --

ted
::::;;;;

Pelagic's gear list:Pelagic's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Pelagic
Like?
Re: How do I remove cars from background?
In reply to Pelagic, Feb 23, 2013

I've seen a tutoral where they reproduced a scaled clone of a very large section of a photo.  I can't find that feature in Elements.  Is this just in full PS?

Here's the tut:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMXz1Aik0e4&feature=plcp&context=C453b32bVDvjVQa1PpcFNTP0Crpf5MTOug13GphvJxNfI-gAn7S3Q%3D

-- hide signature --

ted

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JJMacks
Forum ProPosts: 10,103Gear list
Like?

Full Photoshop has better masking the Elements. LR is not really an editor lacks layers support.  Besides removing the background you need to remove the truck and red car the can be seen through the car's windows.

Photoshop has better tools for isolating objects then elements which is reflected in the $600 higher price.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,679
Like?

Good luck with that one... it will take some time to get the cars properly removed from the window glass.

I would recommend a combo of Photoshop and either onone Perfect mask or (even better) Topaz Remask.

Michael Edward Rudge
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,722Gear list
Like?
Re: here you can put your own background in

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon Pixma MG5350
faith2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,016
Like?
Re:Michael......excellent!!
In reply to Michael Edward Rudge, Feb 23, 2013

Michael Edward Rudge wrote:

-- hide signature --

-Lois-
"God doesn't give us what we can handle; God helps us handle what we are given." -Unknown

asoftwind
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,303
Like?

-- hide signature --

Claude

Patsy Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?

Quick and dirty keeping the original background, but you would be better of extracting the car to another natural background.

Regards Patsym

Pelagic
Like?
Re: here you can put your own background in
In reply to Michael Edward Rudge, Feb 23, 2013

WOW, thanx a bunch.  I have to learn how tom do that.  Did you just paint in the white?  Then preplace the one color with the new image?  Or something else?

-- hide signature --

ted

Pelagic
Like?
In reply to asoftwind, Feb 23, 2013

Another great job.  What software and technique do you use?

-- hide signature --

ted

faith2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,016
Like?
Re: Cool Claude. Like the background!
In reply to asoftwind, Feb 23, 2013

asoftwind wrote:

-- hide signature --

Claude

-- hide signature --

-Lois-
"God doesn't give us what we can handle; God helps us handle what we are given." -Unknown

Pelagic
Like?
In reply to Patsy Murphy, Feb 23, 2013

Patsy,

That's exactly what I had in mind. What were the steps you used? Do I have the required tools in Elements?

I agree that a better background could be inserted.  But the photo is for a friend and he wants in his local environment.  After taking too many shots I realized I would be asking for help with post-processing.

-- hide signature --

ted

Sunnyjim
Contributing MemberPosts: 826Gear list
Like?

This can be done with Elements, a combination of "Cut & Paste, Clone Stamp Tool. Look into joining PET (Photoshop Elements Techniques) on line. Tons of information.

Bob

-- hide signature --

www.raphoto.zenfolio.com

Pelagic
Like?
In reply to Sunnyjim, Feb 23, 2013

Thanx Bob,  That's what I need to know.

I'll try the Elements group you suggest.

-- hide signature --

ted

RayGuselli
Forum ProPosts: 13,358Gear list
Like?

My try
Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700
Patsy Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?

Pelagic wrote:

Patsy,

That's exactly what I had in mind. What were the steps you used? Do I have the required tools in Elements?

I agree that a better background could be inserted. But the photo is for a friend and he wants in his local environment. After taking too many shots I realized I would be asking for help with post-processing.

-- hide signature --

ted

Ted all I used was the Patch Tool and mostly the Clone Stamp Tool, I actually rushed through it, but if you took your time I'm sure you would do a much better job than I did. It's a long time since I used Elements , but I'm pretty sure those two tool's are available.

Regards Patsym

mikes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,964
Like?
Corel and Vertus fluid mask....

I thought a setting like this was good. Vertus mask to mask out the car and final touch ups done with Corel.

Pelagic wrote:

I'm mostly a LR 4 user and have Elements 11. Reducing this background clutter is beyond my skills.

Is there a way, in Elements, to clone the wall and street over the messy looking cars and trucks?

I know how to add a completely different background but I'd prefer it to look natural. And I still won't know how to fix the cars seen through the windows.

-- hide signature --

ted

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Pelagic
Like?
In reply to RayGuselli, Feb 23, 2013

Thanx Ray,  I love your work.  This one is crazy nice.

But if you saaw my thanx and reply to Patsy, I'm doing this for a friend who wants his car in its native environment.

What I need to learn is the first part you use to clone out the extra cars.  Or did you mask the old car and then operate on the new background?

I've owned Elements for years but seldom edit image contents.  The members of this forum are so generous with time and knowledge.  You all are starting me down the road of doing things that I never tried to do in Lightroom.  Oh dear, my conservative friends will ask me to leave our photo club. 

-- hide signature --

ted

Pelagic
Like?
In reply to Patsy Murphy, Feb 23, 2013

Patsy Murphy wrote:

Pelagic wrote:

Patsy,

I agree that a better background could be inserted. But the photo is for a friend and he wants in his local environment. After taking too many shots I realized I would be asking for help with post-processing.

-- hide signature --

ted

Ted all I used was the Patch Tool and mostly the Clone Stamp Tool, I actually rushed through it, but if you took your time I'm sure you would do a much better job than I did. It's a long time since I used Elements , but I'm pretty sure those two tool's are available.

Regards Patsym

Thanx Patsy,

Elements has a Clone Stamp Tool.  I've used it for simple things like telephone wires, but when I tried on this image it looked worse not better.  So I need to practise, practise, practise.

Google tells me that Elements doesn't have a Patch Tool, but does show a few sites that talk about a psuedo Patch Tool.  I'll look there.

-- hide signature --

ted

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Pelagic wrote:

I'm mostly a LR 4 user and have Elements 11. Reducing this background clutter is beyond my skills.

I know how to add a completely different background but I'd prefer it to look natural. And I still won't know how to fix the cars seen through the windows.

-- hide signature --

ted

Used copy and pasting, and cloning.

Here is a LucisArt play also.

This one done with the LucisArt Plugin

-- hide signature --

Slider44

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads