cleaning of Epson 3880 maintenance tank

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Questions
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,599Gear list
Like?
Re: cleaning of Epson 3880 maintenance tank
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 28, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

JJ Winkel wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

I agree about cleanings but nozzle check use a miniscule amount of ink and since that tiny amount goes directly onto the paper there is zero waste generated.

I print about once a week on my 3800 and if not I will run a nozzle check and turn it back off till the next job.

But if you print a lot as you do, then what you are doing if perfect!

Right, but additional fact is that if you leave it a longer time idle, it (the 3880) decides on its own to do a devastating power cleaning cycle, I have found no way to prevent this, it did it with mine just a few days ago after about a month without printing.

If doing a regular nozzle check (let's say once a week or two) will this prevent that power clean ?

-- hide signature --

JJ.

My 3800 never does that! If I leave it unused for weeks it might clog but it does not run any cleaning cycles. Neither one of two 3800 will do that. Must be a function of the newer 3880 firm ware but I am not aware of unrequested power or regular cleaning cycles running upon powering up after being off for a while. But you are correct in simply printing which is the best preventative for clogging and having to clean nozzles.

My biggest pet peeve from higher end printer owners is their not using their printers as they are indented, and then complaining about clogging. I manage to keep 15 printers going without hardly a clog ever. Just the weekly nozzle check seems to be plenty.

Except maybe the 4900 which is a LEMON no matter what you do!

Joe

My problem with that is--who decides what a high-end printer is intended to do?  The manufacturers publish no data on minimum or maximum amount of printing required to eliminate clogs.  In fact the Epson website says they have "virtually eliminated head clogs" on their high-end printers.  Indeed, some users print at high volume.  But they still get clogs (read the LuLa forum).

There is nothing in the large format printer marketing or documentation that states that if a fine art photographer/printer only prints weekly, that he/she isn't using a printer "as intended."  In fact my pet peeve is that users continue to enable Epson's clogging issues by constantly telling those who paid big bucks for a new printer that clogs are their fault, not Epsons.  They just don't use them enough.  It's like blackmail if Epson were to imply that if you don't use enough of their expensive ink, don't expect the expensive printer to work.

I hope Epson doesn't start making dump trucks that need engine replacement if they aren't driven everyday!  

(end of rant)

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,599Gear list
Like?
Re: cleaning of Epson 3880 maintenance tank
In reply to JJ Winkel, Feb 28, 2013

JJ Winkel wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

I agree about cleanings but nozzle check use a miniscule amount of ink and since that tiny amount goes directly onto the paper there is zero waste generated.

I print about once a week on my 3800 and if not I will run a nozzle check and turn it back off till the next job.

But if you print a lot as you do, then what you are doing if perfect!

Right, but additional fact is that if you leave it a longer time idle, it (the 3880) decides on its own to do a devastating power cleaning cycle, I have found no way to prevent this, it did it with mine just a few days ago after about a month without printing.

If doing a regular nozzle check (let's say once a week or two) will this prevent that power clean ?

-- hide signature --

JJ.

I turn my 3880 off after every printing session and keep it covered.  I've never experienced a power cleaning upon startup, and my 3 year old waste tank is only 80 per cent full.

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AusPic
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
Re: cleaning of Epson 3880 maintenance tank
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 28, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

AusPic wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

AusPic wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

Has anyone tried the procedure demonstrated on inkrepublic. You need to scroll all the way down to see how it's done. I just got an Epson 3880 and have not had the need to try this. But I will when the time comes.

-- hide signature --

Cone offered a resetter that sounded just too good so I bought one. When it was delivered I read the instructions..........Had already discounted the Inkrepublic method as too much messing about. Back to the resetter.....its even MORE complex.......then I sat down and did the sums.

Today my Plan 'B' is :

purchase a replacement once a year or so ( can be longer), click out.....click in and it's all done over in seconds!!!! Why make problems and more work for yourself?

I don't smoke but a replacement waste tank and a packet of 30 cigarettes are the same price so on that basis its a no brainer for me.

Enjoy your 3880 they are great machines.

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

Andrew, I see your point. Except I was shocked how quickly the maintenance tank is filling up.

-- hide signature --

Quickest way to fill waste tank is to do nozzle checks and cleans, I speak from experience here!! Better you print an image and use the same settings all the time so there is no swap between Photo black and Matt black. However, once a month its good for the machine and the ink to do the swap and print with the other ink. Since I quit doing checks and used prints instead my waste has slowed to hard to measure after 100+ prints today!!

I also live in hot dry and did as you for the same reason. Printmaker wised me up, now MUCH less waste.

Enjoy, its a fun journey!!

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

I agree about cleanings but nozzle check use a miniscule amount of ink and since that tiny amount goes directly onto the paper there is zero waste generated.

I print about once a week on my 3800 and if not I will run a nozzle check and turn it back off till the next job.

But if you print a lot as you do, then what you are doing if perfect!

I also thought that it was only the seen printing that used ink thus a very efficient way of keeping the nozzles clear in dry weather, however, Epson Aust, printmaker, and my regular salesperson ( who started the ball rolling on this subject) say that on the 3880 it does a routine that uses and redirects ink, and a lot of it,  to the waste?? 'cos I cant actually see that happen via a clear waste jar  I am at their mercy, I had difficulty accepting that hence asking a few different folks???

What I will say tho is since I quit doing the checks and started printing a lot more the waste tank usage % NUMBER value has been stastic now for four weeks.

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ursula Freer
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: cleaning of Epson 3880 maintenance tank
In reply to AusPic, Mar 1, 2013

I also thought that it was only the seen printing that used ink thus a very efficient way of keeping the nozzles clear in dry weather, however, Epson Aust, printmaker, and my regular salesperson ( who started the ball rolling on this subject) say that on the 3880 it does a routine that uses and redirects ink, and a lot of it, to the waste?? 'cos I cant actually see that happen via a clear waste jar I am at their mercy, I had difficulty accepting that hence asking a few different folks???

What I will say tho is since I quit doing the checks and started printing a lot more the waste tank usage % NUMBER value has been stastic now for four weeks.

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

I made up an image in Photoshop similar to the the nozzle check and may use that instead of the nozzle check to save ink and also avoid the switch to photo black each time ( I use matte black to print).

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,018
Like?
Re: cleaning of Epson 3880 maintenance tank
In reply to Ursula Freer, Mar 1, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

I also thought that it was only the seen printing that used ink thus a very efficient way of keeping the nozzles clear in dry weather, however, Epson Aust, printmaker, and my regular salesperson ( who started the ball rolling on this subject) say that on the 3880 it does a routine that uses and redirects ink, and a lot of it, to the waste?? 'cos I cant actually see that happen via a clear waste jar I am at their mercy, I had difficulty accepting that hence asking a few different folks???

What I will say tho is since I quit doing the checks and started printing a lot more the waste tank usage % NUMBER value has been stastic now for four weeks.

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

I made up an image in Photoshop similar to the the nozzle check and may use that instead of the nozzle check to save ink and also avoid the switch to photo black each time ( I use matte black to print).

-- hide signature --

You can't do that!!!!!

The little lines on the nozzle check print represent a little squirt of ink for each individual nozzles as each are made to fire in sequence by the Printer's FirmWare.

No image you could make would even cause each of the nozzle to individually fire as they do in the real nozzle check.

You would simply be printing and image of a nozzle check and not a real nozzle check. So sorry, your idea is not correct.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,018
Like?
Re: cleaning of Epson 3880 maintenance tank
In reply to Sal Baker, Mar 2, 2013

Sal Baker wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

JJ Winkel wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

I agree about cleanings but nozzle check use a miniscule amount of ink and since that tiny amount goes directly onto the paper there is zero waste generated.

I print about once a week on my 3800 and if not I will run a nozzle check and turn it back off till the next job.

But if you print a lot as you do, then what you are doing if perfect!

Right, but additional fact is that if you leave it a longer time idle, it (the 3880) decides on its own to do a devastating power cleaning cycle, I have found no way to prevent this, it did it with mine just a few days ago after about a month without printing.

If doing a regular nozzle check (let's say once a week or two) will this prevent that power clean ?

-- hide signature --

JJ.

My 3800 never does that! If I leave it unused for weeks it might clog but it does not run any cleaning cycles. Neither one of two 3800 will do that. Must be a function of the newer 3880 firm ware but I am not aware of unrequested power or regular cleaning cycles running upon powering up after being off for a while. But you are correct in simply printing which is the best preventative for clogging and having to clean nozzles.

My biggest pet peeve from higher end printer owners is their not using their printers as they are indented, and then complaining about clogging. I manage to keep 15 printers going without hardly a clog ever. Just the weekly nozzle check seems to be plenty.

Except maybe the 4900 which is a LEMON no matter what you do!

Joe

My problem with that is--who decides what a high-end printer is intended to do? The manufacturers publish no data on minimum or maximum amount of printing required to eliminate clogs. In fact the Epson website says they have "virtually eliminated head clogs" on their high-end printers. Indeed, some users print at high volume. But they still get clogs (read the LuLa forum).

There is nothing in the large format printer marketing or documentation that states that if a fine art photographer/printer only prints weekly, that he/she isn't using a printer "as intended." In fact my pet peeve is that users continue to enable Epson's clogging issues by constantly telling those who paid big bucks for a new printer that clogs are their fault, not Epsons. They just don't use them enough. It's like blackmail if Epson were to imply that if you don't use enough of their expensive ink, don't expect the expensive printer to work.

I hope Epson doesn't start making dump trucks that need engine replacement if they aren't driven everyday!

(end of rant)

Sal

Well, the reality is that THEY DO decide that. Unfortunately until the perfect, never clogging, cheap ink using printer is produced, we only have two choices at this time. Canon does seem to be much less prone to clogging and my 9000 and 9500 MKIIs can basiccally sit on or off and never seem to clog.

But due to the almost monopolies imposed to us by the two main ink printing companies ( Forget HP ) we have no choice. I either live with it or send out from all my printing.

I will continue to run my weekly nozzle checks, run basic maintenace measures and use top qulity 3rd party inks and continue to enjoy clog free operation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads