d7000 - d7100 viewfinder VS 6d - 5dm3

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions
Duskbat
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?
d7000 - d7100 viewfinder VS 6d - 5dm3
Feb 22, 2013

Hi

I have questions about the d7100 viewfinder. I have a canon t2i and the viewfinder is a pentamirror type. I find it dull, dark, and grainy to look into. The camera is nice tho.

My dad got a canon 6d that he returned then got a 5dm3 and I looked into his viewfinders on these cameras and WOW they are so bright and crystal clear unlike my t2i. I have never seen this type of viewfinder before.

I looked into this and learned the pentaprism is on these 2 high end canon products and it is a feature i would value.

Now I would like to be a nikon guy and im looking at the d7100 as my 1st nikon dslr and im very excited about this camera and I am 90% sure i will get this camera over the canon 6d or a nex6. Today i was in best buy because its raining real bad here and I was stuck inside for a bit. I asked to see the d7000 and I was disappointed that the d7000 had the same type of look in the viewfinder as my t2i being dark grainy and dull. I thought the d7000 was also a pentaprism and should have the same clarity as the canon cameras I mentioned above. The sales guy gave me a 6d to look thru and i notice how much brighter it was then the d7000. the Canon was so loud with clarity and brightness.  (edit to say i did play with aperture and achieved the same results

Is the d7000 a pentamirror? Will the d7100 have the pentaprism clarity as the canon 6d? What is the difference i notice. Am i correct to assume to get the super clear pentaprism effect i am after its gonna cost lots more$$ for a more high end camera with a higher grade viewfinder?

:-DThank you very much. I hope I made myself clear here. I look forward to response!

I will leave you all with a nice photo I took as a gift for the time and responce!

Owl from animal refuge. he had a fight and hurt his eye. sony tx55

Duskbat's gear list:Duskbat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Apple iPhone 5s
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,460
Like?
Full frame vs APS-C
In reply to Duskbat, Feb 22, 2013

Both the D7000/D7100 and Canon 6D have Pentaprism viewfinders. The difference you are seeing is because the Canon 6D is a full frame sensor camera and the Nikon D7000/D7100 are APS-c size sensor cameras just as your older Canon, I think. To compare you need to look though the Canon 7D. Full frame viewfinders will always have bigger and brighter viewfinders than their smaller APS-C cousins.  As noted below, if the battery was not in and charged in the display model, the view will be very dim compared to an operational camera.  Good Luck

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Comyn602
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: d7000 - d7100 viewfinder VS 6d - 5dm3
In reply to Duskbat, Feb 22, 2013

Did the D7000 that you looked through have a battery in? Without battery they are much darker. I would think the d7000 should be quite a bit better then your Canon.

I upgraded from a D70s which I believe has a pentamirror, the D7000 is much better.

Regards

John

liv2paddle
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
In reply to Comyn602, Apr 1, 2013

The viewfinder is nice and bright and clear..I think everyone is right ..the battery was not in the caera at Best buy when you looked through it..go find one with a working battery..and see the difference. You will love the D7100 its great.

liv2paddle's gear list:liv2paddle's gear list
Nikon D7000
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,991Gear list
Like?
In reply to liv2paddle, Apr 1, 2013

liv2paddle wrote:

The viewfinder is nice and bright and clear..I think everyone is right ..the battery was not in the caera at Best buy when you looked through it..go find one with a working battery..and see the difference. You will love the D7100 its great.

But it won't be like a FF VF.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,292Gear list
Like?
Good grief...
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 1, 2013

DX viewfinders are brighter Mako, as measured by Marianne.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Who.
In reply to JimPearce, Apr 1, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Who's Marianne? Regardless, maybe I didn't know about her 2 months ago. : )

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

SUPERHOKIE
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
FX does NOT have the brightest VF
In reply to Duskbat, Apr 1, 2013

FX cameras do not automatically have brighter VFs than DX. That is a myth.

Canon 7D's VF is brighter than the D600 and also a little brighter than the Nikon DX counterparts.

This is for real. Go check out the 7D and D600 at Bestbuy. While little smaller, 7Ds VF is much brighter than D600, especially noticeable in darker areas.

I find Canon's VF way more comfortable than Nikons. Too bad canon sensors have terrible DR...

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,031
Like?
Here's who.
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 2, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Marianne Oelund, aka Moon Maid, aka Ms. Nikon, was responsible for the research that identified Nikon's Hot-Pixel Suppression routine that had the unfortunate side effect of eradicating faint stars from images. Thom Hogan took this information to Japan and it was instrumental in Nikon improving the algorithm (although not entirely eliminating the effect, IIRC), making Nikon's DSLRs more respectable for astrophotography.

http://www.dpreview.com/members/8931023692

Discovering a problem

A brief history of Nikon hot-pixel suppression

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Neat
In reply to photoreddi, Apr 2, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Marianne Oelund, aka Moon Maid, aka Ms. Nikon, was responsible for the research that identified Nikon's Hot-Pixel Suppression routine that had the unfortunate side effect of eradicating faint stars from images. Thom Hogan took this information to Japan and it was instrumental in Nikon improving the algorithm (although not entirely eliminating the effect, IIRC), making Nikon's DSLRs more respectable for astrophotography.

Discovering a problem

Cool. and thanks for providing the info. Good reads...What does that have to do with comparing viewfinders though?  That would be the link I'm looking for as The D4 seems a bit brighter a viewfinder than my old d70. As she points out..many other things come into play. Perhaps brightness is not the right word. Perhaps DXO needs a M-PIX type measurement for perceived viewfinder clarity and comfort I should have not hinted at absolutes as other design features come into play. Bigger does not always mean brighter when spot measured certainly

-- hide signature --

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,031
Like?
Re: Neat
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 2, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Discovering a problem

Cool. and thanks for providing the info. Good reads...What does that have to do with comparing viewfinders though?  That would be the link I'm looking for as The D4 seems a bit brighter a viewfinder than my old d70. As she points out..many other things come into play. Perhaps brightness is not the right word. Perhaps DXO needs a M-PIX type measurement for perceived viewfinder clarity and comfort I should have not hinted at absolutes as other design features come into play. Bigger does not always mean brighter when spot measured certainly

The links that I posted weren't intended to show anything related to viewfinders. They were to demonstrate the profound abilities, knowledge and skills of Ms. Oelund in order to lend credibility to what Jim Pearce wrote ("DX viewfinders are brighter Mako, as measured by Marianne.") Now that I have a little more time I searched google and quickly (less than a minute, only one search term tried) found several posts in one thread that touched on viewfinder brightness. It's not surprising that Jim recalled this since it was in the thread that he started four months ago. Here are links to three of Marianne's replies. The first deals with the D800's viewfinder, with a chart comparing the apparent viewfinder brightness vs. the aperture. The second has general information about how the viewfinder and its screen works. The third is where she specifically answered Jim's question, which is quoted here.

Brightness versus lens aperture

Marianne Oelund wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

It's interesting that something that is measurable hasn't been measured. D800 users see many subjective things, and one of those is the "big bright viewfinder". Funny, but I'm pretty sure the D800 viewfinder is darker than the one on my D300.

You're not imagining anything.

Sorry to say, I no longer own a D300, but I do have a few D2-series bodies plus an assortment of newer FX models - D3s, D4, D800E.  I cannot guarantee that results from the D2x will match the D300 (quoted D2x viewfinder mag. is 0.86x versus 0.94x for the D300), but they are still illuminating:

RAW sensor data from a D3s "observer" camera looking into the viewfinder of the test-camera, shows that the D3s and D800E viewfinder images are 0.45 stops dimmer than the D2x.  The D4 comes in slightly lower still, at 0.53 stops dimmer than the D2x.  [I should caution those who wish to check this using a camera's exposure meter, that the meter does not give an accurate comparison.]

The FX cameras produce a viewfinder image at our retinas which is 25% wider than the D2x's (or about 15% wider than the D300's if my estimate is correct).  The FX cameras require a 70mm lens to produce a 1x (life-size) viewfinder image, while the D2x requires only about a 56mm lens.

Truth revealed

By the way, I wonder if something went wrong with the last part of your reply that ends with brighter when spot measured certainly

It looks ok in your reply, but when quoted, it was followed by a solid gray bar extending the full width of the editing window. I see it here too after copying and pasting the "brighter when..." quote. I guess that you won't see it unless you also do a "Reply with quote". It makes me wonder if part of your original reply was truncated.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Thank you!
In reply to photoreddi, Apr 2, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Discovering a problem

The links that I posted weren't intended to show anything related to viewfinders. They were to demonstrate the profound abilities, knowledge and skills of Ms. Oelund in order to lend credibility to what Jim Pearce wrote ("DX viewfinders are brighter Mako, as measured by Marianne.") Now that I have a little more time I searched google and quickly (less than a minute, only one search term tried) found several posts in one thread that touched on viewfinder brightness. It's not surprising that Jim recalled this since it was in the thread that he started four months ago. Here are links to three of Marianne's replies. The first deals with the D800's viewfinder, with a chart comparing the apparent viewfinder brightness vs. the aperture. The second has general information about how the viewfinder and its screen works. The third is where she specifically answered Jim's question, which is quoted here.

Appreciated. Took me a while to track it down. Thank you

Brightness versus lens aperture

Marianne Oelund wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

It's interesting that something that is measurable hasn't been measured. D800 users see many subjective things, and one of those is the "big bright viewfinder". Funny, but I'm pretty sure the D800 viewfinder is darker than the one on my D300.

You're not imagining anything.

Sorry to say, I no longer own a D300, but I do have a few D2-series bodies plus an assortment of newer FX models - D3s, D4, D800E.  I cannot guarantee that results from the D2x will match the D300 (quoted D2x viewfinder mag. is 0.86x versus 0.94x for the D300), but they are still illuminating:

RAW sensor data from a D3s "observer" camera looking into the viewfinder of the test-camera, shows that the D3s and D800E viewfinder images are 0.45 stops dimmer than the D2x.  The D4 comes in slightly lower still, at 0.53 stops dimmer than the D2x.  [I should caution those who wish to check this using a camera's exposure meter, that the meter does not give an accurate comparison.]

The FX cameras produce a viewfinder image at our retinas which is 25% wider than the D2x's (or about 15% wider than the D300's if my estimate is correct).  The FX cameras require a 70mm lens to produce a 1x (life-size) viewfinder image, while the D2x requires only about a 56mm lens.

Truth revealed

By the way, I wonder if something went wrong with the last part of your reply that ends with brighter when spot measured certainly

It looks ok in your reply, but when quoted, it was followed by a solid gray bar extending the full width of the editing window. I see it here too after copying and pasting the "brighter when..." quote. I guess that you won't see it unless you also do a "Reply with quote". It makes me wonder if part of your original reply was truncated.

I had tried to embed a pretty cool gif image that swapped back and forth from a view through a D300 and a D700 viewfinder. It didn't work when I posted so I tried to delete and that left the text bars behind. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads