Just got a chance to try Dedolights

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions
ZProsto
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Just got a chance to try Dedolights
Feb 22, 2013

last Sunday.

The pictures are intended for my Live Wallpapers on Google Play. See some backstage also.

And the App itself if interested: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zprosto.zlivewallpaper.bikinigirls&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnpwcm9zdG8uemxpdmV3YWxscGFwZXIuYmlraW5pZ2lybHMiXQ..

24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?
Re: Just got a chance to try Dedolights
In reply to ZProsto, Feb 22, 2013

Glad you like the lights, but I am much more enamoured with your subjects. Wish I was you

Back on-topic - there appear to many different Dedolights. Which ones did you use and do you have a review of them someplace?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RobertMartinu
Contributing MemberPosts: 669
Like?
In reply to 24Peter, Feb 22, 2013

24Peter wrote:

Back on-topic - there appear to many different Dedolights.

It gets easier once you realize that most Dedolights do the same thing (unless they are softboxes), its just the output and the power supply that differs. You can use anything that has "aspherics²" in its name to get the effect.

You can browse vimeo for "dedolight", there are some tech. demonstrations and behind the scene material.

Duncan C
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,563
Like?
In reply to RobertMartinu, Feb 22, 2013

RobertMartinu wrote:

24Peter wrote:

It gets easier once you realize that most Dedolights do the same thing (unless they are softboxes), its just the output and the power supply that differs. You can use anything that has "aspherics²" in its name to get the effect.

You can browse vimeo for "dedolight", there are some tech. demonstrations and behind the scene material.

I haven't heard of them before. It looks like the core product line uses low voltage halogen bulbs, but they also have LED lights as well.

To the OP, were you using the halogen system?

24Peter
Like?
In reply to Duncan C, Feb 23, 2013

Duncan C wrote:

RobertMartinu wrote:

24Peter wrote:

I haven't heard of them before. It looks like the core product line uses low voltage halogen bulbs, but they also have LED lights as well.

Sev - the OP - has been banned for 7 days prehaps for posting NSFW images directly in the thread? In any event, he contacted me earlier today to clarify:

"I used one 650 with the lens no masks for the face primarily. And one 150 for the model's hips. And a couple of Fresnel lenses from behind."

Duncan C
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,563
Like?
In reply to 24Peter, Feb 23, 2013

24Peter wrote:

Duncan C wrote:

RobertMartinu wrote:

24Peter wrote:

Sev - the OP - has been banned for 7 days prehaps for posting NSFW images directly in the thread?

I wondered about that.  They are very well done, and pretty tasteful for this sort of thing, but a pretty clear violation of the rules of the forum.

I'm surprised a mod hasn't taken down the images.

In any event, he contacted me earlier today to clarify:

"I used one 650 with the lens no masks for the face primarily. And one 150 for the model's hips. And a couple of Fresnel lenses from behind."

Thanks for the update. Now I need to go figure out what a 650 and a 150 is.

24Peter
Like?

Duncan C wrote:

That's the output of the halogen bulbs - 650w & 150w

RobertMartinu
Like?

Duncan C wrote:

The one is a DLH650, the other a DLH4(or a subvariant) with a 150W/24V bulb in it

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?

Duncan C wrote:

RobertMartinu wrote:

24Peter wrote:

Like a Fresnel, only MORE so, Duncan. The filaments in the lamps are even smaller sources of light, allowing for a more sophisticated beam sculpting with two condensor lenses in the system.

I often teased myself with the idea of getting a couple, and played with them at trade shows. Sadly, I could never quite justify the indulgence, because they are rather expensive here.

The LEDs are new, of course. Things move on... (sigh)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

RobertMartinu
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Feb 23, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

I often teased myself with the idea of getting a couple, and played with them at trade shows. Sadly, I could never quite justify the indulgence, because they are rather expensive here.

You should consider the overall price! With the Dedolights I save about 80% (more with staff on the careless side) in bulbs, and running everything off the normal grid isn't bad either. Tie-ins or gennies cost as well.

Use them often and they pay for themself.

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to RobertMartinu, Feb 23, 2013

RobertMartinu wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

You should consider the overall price! With the Dedolights I save about 80% (more with staff on the careless side) in bulbs, and running everything off the normal grid isn't bad either. Tie-ins or gennies cost as well.

Use them often and they pay for themself.

Thank you for this advice.

However, I am retired now, and in the process of divesting myself of equipment.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

ZProsto
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Mar 7, 2013

thanks you all guys for your questions and discussion. didn't have a chance to answer. thanks Peter - he explained the situation.

that set up was a combination of 150w (DHL4) and 650w (I believe DHL 650) Dedolights.

I heard a lot about  this brand earlier but it's insanely expensive here. may be I have a reason to buy a couple, but it's not even a matter of justifying the expences - it's just unaffordable. suddenly I found a studio with a reasonable price (actually the price of any other studio with the regular strobes).

couldn't resist. that was a very first experience with this type of light. I liked a lot the ability of precise controlling everything: the spot, the focus, the dimmer. might be I was lacking some sort of very light diffuser, because I sometimes liked the shape of lights but was totally disappointed with the harsh shadows. well..this equipment is very demanding and challenging. and it pushes you to a new level if know what you need.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads