Coming from Canon to EM-5.

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions
ThomCull
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Coming from Canon to EM-5.
Feb 22, 2013

Hey everyone,

I recently sold my Canon gear in favour of the EM-5 solely because I go back country hiking for days at a time often over 100's of kilometres and I can't stand to carry the Canon any more. Given that this is over a long period where I must carry food, and water sometimes weight is pretty much my biggest concern but I also want to have decent quality, I'm aware I won't be getting 5D Mk3. Most of my shots are between 25-50mm on the Canon and then 150-300. Mostly I like to capture the views but also if I see an owl or moose floating around I don't want to be limited. I only print 4x5's really, so I know noise won't be an issue.

What would you recommend for a lightweight kit in that focal range? I'm impressed by the Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 right off the bat, I can see it staying on the camera 85% of the time. I'm really on the fence regarding the 12-50, it seems ideal but the aperture really makes me think twice.

Thanks,
-T

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,462
Like?
Re: Coming from Canon to EM-5.
In reply to ThomCull, Feb 22, 2013

I keep the Panasonic 20 on my omd much of the time when hiking. It's very sharp and performs well in low light. Its focus on the omd isn't the fastest but it does fine for me even when taking pix of toddler grand kids. The 12-50 is well worth it's cost though because you will sometimes need a waterproof kit. I've used it in rain and snow without ill effects. The macro feature of the 12-50 is also a plus. the 40-150 is very light and is so cheap it's almost free and it's a much better lens than it has any right to be. I'm sure others will offer more ideas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518Gear list
Like?

I do the same kind of hiking with my gear, though I'm yet to go on as long a hike as you. I did a four day trip back in August with the E-M5 together with the 9-18mm, 25mm, and 45mm that went extremely well.

As for the 12-50mm, at 4x5 print sizes the aperture of the 12-50 isn't going to hurt you too much at all. And if you have the 20mm for low light & large aperture, that's a pretty decent balance.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,617Gear list
Like?

ThomCull wrote:

Most of my shots are between 25-50mm on the Canon and then 150-300. Mostly I like to capture the views but also if I see an owl or moose floating around I don't want to be limited. I only print 4x5's really, so I know noise won't be an issue.

What would you recommend for a lightweight kit in that focal range? I'm impressed by the Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 right off the bat, I can see it staying on the camera 85% of the time. I'm really on the fence regarding the 12-50, it seems ideal but the aperture really makes me think twice.

The 12-50mm is probably the most interesting kit lens out there. The Panasonic 14-45mm seems to be the gold standard of kit lenses, so it's worth a look, too.

The 20mm is a nice little lens. You might want to take a look at the Panasonic 25mm, too. There have been endless debates here comparing both lenses, so I won't get into it. I have a 20mm and it always delivers.

The Oly 40-150mm is cheap and is surprisingly good for the price and would be a good match for the 12-50mm. It was selling for $99 recently!

The Oly 14-150mm would be good for a single lens solution. I have a Panasonic 14-140mm, which is great when I can't (or don't want to) carry a bunch of primes. That and the 20mm would be a good start.

There's also the Panasonic 100-300mm, which obviously will give you some dramatic reach with good image quality at a reasonable price.

I bet this didn't help too much.
 jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
LucaBrasi
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?

I just switched to OM-D from Canon a little over a month ago. I went with the 12-50 kit when I bought the OMD, since it was a good deal. The 12-50mm is a very good performer. Yes, it is slow, but for hiking, that shouldn't be a problem. Plus, if you see  an interesting bug, flower etc. you have a nice macro feature and for hiking in inclement weather the lens is weather sealed. I have a few shots in my gallery that I took with that lens. I also bought the PL 25mm and it is a terrific lens. It may not be wide enough for the type of landscape work you would probably want to do. Good luck. Luca

LucaBrasi's gear list:LucaBrasi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?

ThomCull wrote:

Hey everyone,

I recently sold my Canon gear in favour of the EM-5 solely because I go back country hiking for days at a time often over 100's of kilometres and I can't stand to carry the Canon any more. Given that this is over a long period where I must carry food, and water sometimes weight is pretty much my biggest concern but I also want to have decent quality, I'm aware I won't be getting 5D Mk3. Most of my shots are between 25-50mm on the Canon and then 150-300. Mostly I like to capture the views but also if I see an owl or moose floating around I don't want to be limited. I only print 4x5's really, so I know noise won't be an issue.

Thanks,
-T

I`d get the 12-50mm kit lens with the OMD, its not going to cost a great deal extra and its weather sealed to match the OMD.

Sure there are faster lenses but your are getting quite a lot for the money, 24mm at the wide end with built in macro to boot, its small and light as well.

The OMD handles noise pretty well so higher ISO`s for a slower lens is no problem, and its really not that much slower than other kit lenses.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,006Gear list
Like?

ThomCull wrote:

Hey everyone,

I recently sold my Canon gear in favour of the EM-5 solely because I go back country hiking for days at a time often over 100's of kilometres and I can't stand to carry the Canon any more. Given that this is over a long period where I must carry food, and water sometimes weight is pretty much my biggest concern but I also want to have decent quality, I'm aware I won't be getting 5D Mk3. Most of my shots are between 25-50mm on the Canon and then 150-300. Mostly I like to capture the views but also if I see an owl or moose floating around I don't want to be limited. I only print 4x5's really, so I know noise won't be an issue.

Thanks,
-T

12-50mm is a very good lens (my real world test not pixel peeping or brick shot) it's weather sealed and the macro could be handy for your hike. If budget is not an issue and you want fast zoom get the Panasonic 12-35mm. For long zoom the 45-150mm is very light and good quality too.

Good luck and have fun on your hike. Don't forget lots of battery and SD cards

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,340Gear list
Like?
Made the same move for similar reason.

I'm not hiking for 100's of kilometers but I do want to carry the camera for longer than I felt comfortable with using the larger Canon gear.

I have the E-M5 with 12-50 (not bad for a general-purpose kit lens, but not the best for corner to corner sharpness), 20mm f/1.7 (razor sharp fast lens), and for the long shots I use the Olympus 75-300. This is an amazing long lens. Very sharp, very light and small for such a long lens. It is very slow, so not usable in dark circumstances, but it can be used wide open with sharp results.

I'm thinking of adding the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 to the kit to have a faster and sharper wide zoom lens. But it does cost a bundle.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,792Gear list
Like?
if you are willing to stitch

ThomCull wrote:

What would you recommend for a lightweight kit in that focal range? I'm impressed by the Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 right off the bat, I can see it staying on the camera 85% of the time.

Up-left, up-right, down-left, down-right will get you about 25mm worth FF equivalent after a 4-shot stitch (20mm equivalent in an ideal "no-overlap" stitch scenario).  If you are good with this approach, you can probably manage with the 20/1.7 for all your "25-50" equivalent needs.  For the telephoto range, the 45-175x gets my highest recommendation.  90-350mm equiv, yet the thing is ridiculously small and lightweight, about the same size as the 12-50 in fact!

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads