Need your experience with M42 adapter

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Questions
eddie
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
Need your experience with M42 adapter
Feb 22, 2013

I'm new here and user of Pentax film cameras since 1966.
Have some Pentax primes from the old days and considering experimenting with them on my K30 DSLR. There is lots of info here on the subject but to fish out specific answer I found difficult.
Here is my question: M42 conversion adapter rings come from wide range of places and prices. What is the best value vs quality experience you have and from where can I get them?
So far, my impression is that level of experience in this forum I can trust.

I do appreciate for your feedback and thanks upfront.

Eddie

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flex M
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
Re: Need your experience with M42 adapter
In reply to eddie, Feb 22, 2013

Eddie, the authentic (Asahi) Pentax ring is the best one and has the best machining. It's also the most expensive option.

In real life I find it easiest to just buy the cheapest metal ring (about $6 - 8 on eBay). Then just remove the little spring clip & screw it on to your m42 lens. Now it mouns just like a k mount lens (but will not lock in place). Works good as long as there's some friction on mounting! Also a lot easier than fiddling with the spring..

Optional is to file or drill a small hole in the lens flange so lens will lock in place (careful here!)

Have fun with your m42 glass!

-- hide signature --

Digital Serotonin Art of Flex Maslan -
www.digital029art.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eddie
Like?
In reply to Flex M, Feb 22, 2013

Thanks Flex.

Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?

eddie wrote:

I'm new here and user of Pentax film cameras since 1966.
Have some Pentax primes from the old days and considering experimenting with them on my K30 DSLR. There is lots of info here on the subject but to fish out specific answer I found difficult.
Here is my question: M42 conversion adapter rings come from wide range of places and prices. What is the best value vs quality experience you have and from where can I get them?
So far, my impression is that level of experience in this forum I can trust.

I do appreciate for your feedback and thanks upfront.

Eddie

Hello Eddie

I have also some M42 lens and have the Original M42 Adapter for Pentax which i received also from buying a set of M42 lenses.

I can only comment on the original pentax m42 adapter and i can say is, it fits really good on the K-5, K-7 and K100D.

If you can find a cheaper Original Pentax adapter then buy and enjoy the M42 lenses that you have.

Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
Rod Herdman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,549Gear list
Like?

I just got a cheap one, non-Pentax branded.

But -  make sure it says it can achieve infinity focus. If the flange is too deep you will not focus to infinity.

Cheers, and have fun with your old lenses.

Rod

-- hide signature --

All I want is a digital back for my trusty K1000 . . .

Rod Herdman's gear list:Rod Herdman's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +12 more
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,946Gear list
Like?

It really depends on how you are going to use it and what your your lenses are.

While the Pentax adapter is unarguably the best one, I'd rather prefer to use cheap Chinese made ones instead.

Original is probably the best for landscape, sport and birding photography, where the focus to infinity is essential. Disadvantage - does not allow to use Catch In Focus (CIF) with my glass, which has a black painted thread and does not shorten the pins on the body of my camera.

Cheap Chinese adapters - provide their own metal base for contact pins, so the CIF works fine. Unfortunately, this adds a 0.5-1 mm of the space between the lens and the camera body. As a result, the infinity focus is lost. Since I use my manual glass for Portrait work only, I prefer these models over the original one. The CIF is essential for me when since I found it to be  more accurate than a good focusing screen (Katzeye).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
liviutza
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
In reply to il_alexk, Feb 22, 2013

I had quite an extreme experience with such an adapter I believe is worth mentioning - the focus was really screwed up - the maximum focus distance achievable with a Helios 44 was 5-7 meters, maybe. I would not accept that because it makes the camera unusable in 'normal' usage, even if CIF can be quite useful. So I switched to a more expensive adapter - bad part is indeed that it leaves the body contacts open and the camera looks almost dismantled :).

il_alexk
Like?
In reply to liviutza, Feb 22, 2013

liviutza wrote:

I had quite an extreme experience with such an adapter I believe is worth mentioning - the focus was really screwed up - the maximum focus distance achievable with a Helios 44 was 5-7 meters

7 meters is more than enough for the portrait work which represents 100% of my manual glass usage

, maybe. I would not accept that because it makes the camera unusable in 'normal' usage, even if CIF can be quite useful. So I switched to a more expensive adapter - bad part is indeed that it leaves the body contacts open and the camera looks almost dismantled :).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,805
Like?
In reply to il_alexk, Feb 22, 2013

I remember reading a few years ago about somebody grinding down the thickness (to paper thin) one of those M42-K adapters that has the flange. It did increase the focusing distance quite a bit.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?

I chose the cheaper Fotodiox adapters (you can still buy 6½ for the cost of the Pentax).  I decided that it was best to remove the locking catch on the camera side of the ring and fix an adapter on each M42 lens.  As it happens I've still got 2 more adapters than lenses!

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,680
Like?

The real deal Pentax one is like $30. Just get it.

Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, Feb 22, 2013

Cane wrote:

The real deal Pentax one is like $30. Just get it.

Well that would make a difference! In the UK they're £64.99 so some $99 which I think you'll agree tends to our favouring a third party option. 

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
eddie
Like?
In reply to Cane, Feb 23, 2013

Thanks to you all, ordered both version: with and without flange. In some cases having no focus in infinity will not be missed as one of you mentioned. Number of people responding gave me wide cross section of experiences. Now waiting delivery of the M42 flanges. Thanks again.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
Re: Why remove the spring clip??
In reply to eddie, Feb 23, 2013

Hi,

I've often wondered about the possibility of using M42 mount lenses, though I've tended to stay with nothing earlier than A series bayonet to get the AE.  But what is the difficulty with the spring clip that holds the adapted lens in place?  There are several references above to removing it.  Surely the manufacturers have got this right?  And what about the Pentax OEM adapter - does the retaining pin and spring clipwork on that one, or is the recommendation to remove that too?

Thx Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,805
Like?
Re: Why remove the spring clip??
In reply to Rod McD, Feb 24, 2013

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

I've often wondered about the possibility of using M42 mount lenses, though I've tended to stay with nothing earlier than A series bayonet to get the AE. But what is the difficulty with the spring clip that holds the adapted lens in place? There are several references above to removing it. Surely the manufacturers have got this right? And what about the Pentax OEM adapter - does the retaining pin and spring clipwork on that one, or is the recommendation to remove that too?

Hi Rod,

(1) The original Pentax M42-K adapter can be removed from the camera with just a fingernail.

(2) The cheap knockoffs require a tool to remove them properly. Some folks don't know how to use this tool properly. The way to do it is to insert the tool in the slots which releases the spring lock. Turn CCW until you hit a stop. Then lift the tool slightly until the tip of the tool clears the stop so you can finish turning CCW until the M42-K adapter can be removed completely. However, some of the knockoff M42-K adapters are so poorly made that they get stuck on the camera and become very hard to remove. By removing the screw that holds the spring lock in place, you no longer need a tool to remove them. They will now act just like any K mount lens except they will not lock onto the camera. However, you can now install and remove the lens very easily. If the lens does not have a very stiff focusing ring then it works like a charm. If the lens has a stiff focusing ring then you need to be very carful that you don't twist the lens out of its mounting and have it fall off. You can also drill a mounting hole into the lens and then it will lock onto the camera just like any K-mount lens.

(3) Another type of M42-K adapter is the kind that has a flange. It is built in such a way that it has a slot so that it can lock onto the camera just like any K-mount lens. However, the addition of the flange is the same as adding a very, very short extension tube and you can no longer focus to infinity. You can grind down the flange to very thin and it will still work like a regular K-mount and you can increase it's focusing distance but you still will not be able to reach infinity. If you know how to adjust the infinity focus point on your lens then the flange type is the best IMO.

One of the problems with (1) and (2) above is that sometimes the pins on the camera are not shorted on the camera like a regular K or M lens or like (3) above) and you won't be able to do catch-in-focusing or use a Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter unless you short the pins with the use of aluminum foil.

For many folks the use of M42 lenses are not worth the effort.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,684Gear list
Like?
Just to add...
In reply to brandrx, Feb 24, 2013

With certain M42 lenses there is no Auto/Manual switch on the lens body to depress the stop-down pin, so they will remain fully open when used on an original Pentax M42 to K adapter ring (or a clone) no matter what aperture you set on the ring.  While you can sometimes jury-rig a way to jam the pin in so that such lenses can be stopped down, an easier (although more expensive) method is to buy a Kipon brand M42 to K adapter ring on eBay. The Kipon adapter has an internal circumferential flange to depress the stopdown pin, so when you mount the lens the pin is pressed in automatically and the aperture ring will function properly.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -5h (EST)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 +16 more
liviutza
Like?
Re: Just to add...
In reply to Jim King, Feb 24, 2013

I just happened to have a bit of an unpleasant experience with an adapter this morning - the flange-less type. I took some pics in LV mode and then put the cap on but forgot to turn the camera off. As it turns out, there is a bit of stray light coming to the sensor (on my K30 at least) via the mounting holes of the adapter. Not much, but I thought I'd mention it; it also gets a really weird color cast.

liviutza
Like?
In reply to liviutza, Feb 24, 2013

Sorry, forgot to attach sample.

il_alexk
Like?
In reply to liviutza, Feb 24, 2013

This doesn't look good, but do you see this light interfering with the images when you remove the cap? I'd expect it to be completely unnoticeable in real photos.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

liviutza
Like?
In reply to il_alexk, Feb 24, 2013

I would say, extremely unscientific, that this is 3-4 stops below scene light and I believe it would only affect the pictures in extremely specific conditions; Still worth mentioning, as it supports my slight disappointment in using m42 glass on Pentax bodiest - it is a lot more finicky compared to using it on Canon or short-flange mirrorless cameras.  All factors combined I will try to get older K-mount lenses for my K-30 in the future - no adapters, safer contacts and overall better match.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads