Autofocus of 12-60mm on E-3 stopped working

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Questions
jasonjli
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Autofocus of 12-60mm on E-3 stopped working
Feb 21, 2013

The autofocus stopped working a few days ago. Instead of finding the right focus, it simply moves to the left of 0.25m and stays there... The camera has firmware v1.4 for more than a year. Any suggestions?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IanDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Re: Autofocus of 12-60mm on E-3 stopped working
In reply to jasonjli, Feb 21, 2013

Maybe the contacts need to be cleaned? If that doesn't work I would call Oly.

IanDavis's gear list:IanDavis's gear list
Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jasonjli
Like?
In reply to IanDavis, Feb 21, 2013

Maybe the contacts need to be cleaned? If that doesn't work I would call Oly.

Contacts are clean as a whistle, so I guess the problem is not there.

Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,056Gear list
Like?

My Olympus E-3 stopped focusing twice about 3 years ago.  The first time I was able to get it focusing again.  I think the main thing I did was take off the lens, and use a rocket blower to blow a puff of air at the mirror.  I had read that sometimes a dust bunny gets trapped behind the half silvered mirror where the auto focusing sensors are, and a puff of air might dislodge it.  You don't want to use canned air that is used to clean out computer cases, as it is too powerful and it can leave a residue.

Unfortunately, the second time it failed, I had to send it in for a warranty repair.  I normally get the extended warranty primarily to get the free cleaning 3 years after buying the camera, but this was the first time I actually needed a repair covered by the warranty.  Hmmm, that reminds me, I need to pick up an extended warranty for my E-PM2.

Now, I'm not saying it was cause and effect, but it was interesting that the first time the E-3 failed was the day I told my saleswoman to put me down for the E-P2 that had just been announced.  The second time, was when I bought the 14-150mm lens for the E-P2.  So have you been using other cameras, and the E-3 is getting jealous?

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,056Gear list
Like?

If you have a second lens, or a second four thirds camera, you would want to test the lens on both cameras, and a second lens on the E-3. If the lens was the 70-300mm, it might have been in manual focus mode, but I don't think the 12-60mm had such a mode.

Other thing that happens sometimes, is people holding down the lens release while putting on the lens, and it doesn't make the electrical contact.  Presumably that didn't happen to you, but I've done it myself, so it is useful to check.

You said the contacts are clean.  Did you check the lens' contacts as well?  I assume you did, but just in case....

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
jasonjli
Like?
In reply to Michael Meissner, Feb 22, 2013

I used the camera/lens combination since 2008 and know them well. The set up is spotless and free of dust as far as the eye can see. The lens is consistently front-focusing. I wonder if anyone else had the same problem.

Bruce Clarke
Senior MemberPosts: 2,557Gear list
Like?
In reply to jasonjli, Feb 23, 2013

If you have another lens that works OK, it could be the SWD motor failed on the 12-60mm. I believe a few have gone. If it's dodgy with other lenses, it could be dust on the AF mirrors at the bottom of the mirror box. Hold the body front down, and blast under the mirror carefully with a rocket blower, being careful not to touch the mirror.

Bruce

-- hide signature --
 Bruce Clarke's gear list:Bruce Clarke's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,690Gear list
Like?
In reply to jasonjli, Feb 23, 2013

I think the SWD may have failed.  It happened on mine.  It was making unusually odd noise during focus.  I sent it to Oly and they returned it to me stating that was normal with no examination having been done.  I called and talked to a customer service agent and she told me to return it.  However I went to a local dealer and compared mine to a new one...and they both did make a "jittering" sound.  Mine was much louder however.

I called the Oly agent back and told her.  She asked my to continue using it if it wasn't too annoying and if it didn't get quieter to send it back.  A month later it simply quit working.  I sent it back to them and they replaced the SWD and I've had no further problems.  This was a newly purchased "refurb" and by the time the lens stopped working it was out of the 90 day warranty period.  However they did not charge me for the repair.  

-- hide signature --

BJM

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads