HELIOPAN OR B+W

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions
Jim Bond
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
HELIOPAN OR B+W
Feb 21, 2013

I am looking for good ND filters a 3,6 & 10 stop, who makes the best Heliopan or B+W ? I don't really care about cost I just want it to be sharp with little or no color cast .

tyyreaun
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
Re: HELIOPAN OR B+W
In reply to Jim Bond, Feb 22, 2013

I use the B+W 10 stop.  It's good, but might have a slight warming cast.  I'd guess Heliopan is better just because it's more expensive, but I've never tried one.

B+W 10 stop ND filter (non-MRC version)

tyyreaun's gear list:tyyreaun's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tony_J
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: HELIOPAN OR B+W

May I suggest variable ND grads? They are very convenient to use, and while more expensive than one fixed ND filter, are probably cheaper than several. Here's a very detailed review of  a few of the more popular brands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nECdBiu5Rrw. Surprisingly, the relatively cheap Tiffen performs very well.

Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
B+W

Not ND, but in this test of Polarizing Filters Heliopan didn't do so well. B+W (sort of ) came out on top and Marumi were surprisingly good.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
mbernard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073
Like?
Re: B+W
In reply to Kuppenbender, Feb 23, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

Not ND, but in this test of Polarizing Filters Heliopan didn't do so well. B+W (sort of ) came out on top and Marumi were surprisingly good.

I disagree with this test results. I have both the B&W and Heliopan polarizers and cannot see any difference in their quality apart from the fact that the Heliopan filter is a little bit warmer than the B&W, and it's a little heavier (more solid frame).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads