D7100 full-time autofocus during video

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 775Gear list
Like?
D7100 full-time autofocus during video
Feb 21, 2013

What exactly is this feature?

This guy says we're getting PDAF during video: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d7100/nikon-d7100A.HTM

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +16 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
Re: D7100 full-time autofocus during video
In reply to Alex Notpro, Feb 21, 2013

Alex Notpro wrote:

What exactly is this feature?

This guy says we're getting PDAF during video: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d7100/nikon-d7100A.HTM

Weird, no mention of PDAF in the press release.  Can't find any reference to PDAF in IR article now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
In reply to AndyHWC, Feb 21, 2013

If it is literally the same sensor off the D5200 then then yes, there are areas of the sensor that are designed for on chip PDAF, so you would get that in live view and video mode, D5200 reviews indicate that it is not up to par with the OVF PDAF

Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 775Gear list
Like?
In reply to AndyHWC, Feb 21, 2013

Looks like IR updated the article. I can't find it anymore either.

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +16 more
AndyHWC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
In reply to Alex Notpro, Feb 21, 2013

Alex Notpro wrote:

Looks like IR updated the article. I can't find it anymore either.

Did you read that from this? Could be my imagination but I thought I read that as "full-time phrase detection autofocus" too. At least we know the CDAF improved fron D7000 which is pretty aweful imo. Better than nothing but far away from T4i, and even further from the excellent Sony SLT (in terms of video).  I hope D7100 CDAF is better than D5200 since it has a better AF system.

"...Of course, there's still full-time contrast detection autofocus with face recognitions and tracking capability, and it has been improved in terms of speed and accuracy from that in the D7000. Single autofocus and manual focus are also possible. The Nikon D7100 also retains a dedicated Movie button, although as noted it's now better-located on the top deck, within quick reach of your index finger. As noted previously, creative effects and picture controls are all available for movie capture, too..."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads