D 7100 6 shot Raw Buffer IMO D400 still coming

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions
ThomasH_always
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
Re: D 7100 6 shot Raw Buffer IMO D400 still coming
In reply to Stusteelhead, Feb 24, 2013

Stusteelhead wrote:

After a bunch of searching found the D7100 buffer specs. to me 14 bit 6 shot buffer means a D400 has to be coming, http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm either that or canon will have a banner second half of the year.

Nikonrumors showed recently a facsimile of a Japanese magazine predicting a D9x00 series, what would be probably "the replacement" for our ancient D300, and a continuation of the D100/D200 lineage. However, they predicted a "D7200" in the same article, and at least in the matter of the product name, they got it wrong.

Thomas

ThomasH_always's gear list:ThomasH_always's gear list
Leica V-Lux 3 Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teodorian2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860
Like?
Re: So the original poster is wrong?
In reply to jfriend00, Feb 24, 2013

jfriend00 wrote:

Franglais91 wrote:

You're saying that the original poster is wrong in his assertion that the D7100 will do only 6 uncompressed 14-bit RAW shots before stalling because:

- 6 frames is just the size of the of the buffer, not an actual measurement of the performance

- the D7100 supports a faster card write format so it should be able to flush shots faster (shooting compressed 12-bit will take you further anyway)

OK I can see that. I have never noticed Nikon deliberately limiting the performance of a camera to leave an opportunity to produce a better one

Don't forget that the D7100 images are 50% larger than the D7000 images (24MP vs. 16MP) too so some of the card write speed increase is taken up by the larger images. We'll have to see how this actually works out with a real camera. Actual measured write speed always seems to be different in the real world than what manufacturers proclaim so we will have to see what the actual camera does with a fast card.

I'm guessing a burst of 7-8 before it slows to a stutter speed which averages something around 2-3fps, but this is just a guess based on the specs and how other cameras seem to work.

-- hide signature --

The D7100 is actually worse than the D7000:

The D7100 manage only 5 fps in 14 bit raw in DX mode (6 fps i 1.3 x crop mode) vs 6 fps for the D7000.

You need to use 12-bit raw to reach 6 fps in the DX mode and 7 fps i the 1.3x crop mode.

From the D7100 pdf:

Approximate frame advance rate • JPEG and 12-bit NEF (RAW) images recorded with DX (24×16) selected for image area: C L 1 to 6 fps, CH 6 fps • JPEG and 12-bit NEF (RAW) images recorded with 1.3× (18×12) selected for image area: CL 1 to 6 fps, CH 7 fps • 14-bit NEF (RAW) images recorded with DX (24×16) selected for image area: CL 1 to 5 fps, CH 5 fps • 14-bit NEF (RAW) images recorded with 1.3× (18×12) selected for image area: CL 1 to 6 fps, CH 6 fps

images using 12 bit compressed raw.54 just as the D7100 in the 1.3x crop mode. In the DX mode the D800 has a buffer of MB) 13,2 image buffer using 12-bit compressed raw. Interestingly the D800 in the DX mode also produce 15,4 MP images (at 15files and a MB 13.6image buffer capacity compared to the D7000 with 14 with a 13.4 MBComparing file size vs buffer we can notice that the D7100 in the 1.3x crop mode produce 12 bit compressed raw at

In real life testing using the same Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 16 GB card I found the D7000 to manage 20 12 bit compressed files before stalling vs 57 for the D800E using the DX mode. I was however shooting at 5 fps since I don´t have a grip for the D800E. The D7100 should be comparable to the D7000.

Manuela
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
Re: D 7100 6 shot Raw Buffer IMO D400 still coming
In reply to Stusteelhead, Mar 14, 2013

I believe that there is a Canon agent in the Nikon company whose idea was to cripple the buffer

Manuela's gear list:Manuela's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +23 more
lvidal
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Most likely not
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 26, 2013

It's all about marketing, guys. If they say it's not a professional camera most people believe that when certainly it is.

The D7100 have enough features to be considered a complete professional camera. Some people need some features and some people don't, that's why they play with people's minds.

Just remember one thing: Most of the time the most talented and memorable professionals didn't use the top notch technology or equipment but they created masterpieces. And almost any of the DLSR that is offered today have a lot more capabilities than the cameras the best photographers used many years ago.

Focus yourself in what you can create and not what the equipment can do.

n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,999Gear list
Like?
In reply to lvidal, Apr 26, 2013

lvidal wrote:

Well, if one says a camera is not the one for him, why do others insist that he should have a second look?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,704
Like?
In reply to lvidal, Apr 26, 2013

lvidal wrote:

This is somewhat of a trite comment. The equipment, while not being the whole story does have an important role to play in what you create. Using your logic, I should be able to match the work of Ansel Adams used large format sheet film with a 110 Kodak if only I applied myself.

Certain types and styles of photography require equipment with specific capabilities as defined by the photographer who uses it. If Nikon chooses not to support their customer base that feels that it needs an upgraded D300s, then those customers will look at other options, which opens the door for many to look at other manufacturers. If their hope is that the D7100/D600 will fulfill what their D300s customer base wants they may find that some of us may leave the fold.

Frankly speaking, it would cost Nikon next to nothing to put the D7100 chip and 51 point focus system into a D300 body and make everyone happy.

It is all about choice.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, Apr 26, 2013

Mr Gadget wrote:

lvidal wrote:

This is somewhat of a trite comment. The equipment, while not being the whole story does have an important role to play in what you create. Using your logic, I should be able to match the work of Ansel Adams used large format sheet film with a 110 Kodak if only I applied myself.

Certain types and styles of photography require equipment with specific capabilities as defined by the photographer who uses it. If Nikon chooses not to support their customer base that feels that it needs an upgraded D300s, then those customers will look at other options, which opens the door for many to look at other manufacturers. If their hope is that the D7100/D600 will fulfill what their D300s customer base wants they may find that some of us may leave the fold.

Frankly speaking, it would cost Nikon next to nothing to put the D7100 chip and 51 point focus system into a D300 body and make everyone happy.

It is all about choice.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
Show Low, Arizona

why do you think nikon numbered the d600 that and not the 400 or 500?? Leaving model numbering room, actually they probably intents to number d400, 600 and 800 going to 410 610 and 810...

DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,750
Like?
Impressive review
In reply to Stusteelhead, Apr 27, 2013

Impressive review of the D7100 but agree that the D400 is still coming.

-- hide signature --
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,704
Like?
In reply to golf1982, Apr 27, 2013

golf1982 wrote:

Mr Gadget wrote:

lvidal wrote:

It is all about choice.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
Show Low, Arizona

why do you think nikon numbered the d600 that and not the 400 or 500?? Leaving model numbering room, actually they probably intents to number d400, 600 and 800 going to 410 610 and 810...

Let us hope that, that is the case! I have the money in my account and I am ready to hit the buy button as soon as the damn thing is announced. The thing that gnaws at the back of my skull is that why hasn't Nikon produced it yet. It may be that they are working on a game changer? A pro level mirrorless based upon the D7100 APS-C sensor et al, but with a lightweight, no mirror, high quality EVF with proper controls? That could explain the delay getting the D400 to market. Not much in the rumor mill though ....

-- hide signature --

Conrad
Show Low, Arizona

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads