Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions
David G72
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Nikon D7100 - the end of high-end DX?
Feb 21, 2013

Makes perfect sense, I think we will never see a D400:
http://photographylife.com/nikon-d7100-dslr-announcement

The D7100 specs look great, only wish for more FPS, given that the Canon 7D Mark II is rumored to be at 10fps!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
David

David G72's gear list:David G72's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D40 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cwsiggy
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 - the end of high-end DX?
In reply to David G72, Feb 21, 2013

I'm looking to get my first DSLR and was just about to pull trigger on 5200. This one should do me nicely! Nikon Rumors thinks it will be $1200 - I'd be shocked if they price it that low...

cwsiggy's gear list:cwsiggy's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David G72
Like?
In reply to cwsiggy, Feb 21, 2013

That's what the price says on this website too - $1,199!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
David

Fujifilm X100S
David G72
Like?

Quote from this site "With a high-resolution 24 MP sensor, the same autofocus system from the D800, high quality magnesium alloy body with weather sealing, EXPEED 3 processor and 6 FPS continuous shooting speed, there is simply no room for a higher-end DX body."

I agree, no room for the D400!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
David

Fujifilm X100S
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,268Gear list
Like?
Mansurov didn't get the memo...

Low end DX will be replaced by the Nikon 2 mirrorless system, beginning this summer. This is the first model of the new DX. I'll buy this, but still expect a D400.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,597
Like?

David G72 wrote:

Always room.  The newest 7D2 rumor is for 10 fps, the new 5D3/1D X autofocus for $2200 although it being aps-c or 35mm is still up in the air.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,126
Like?

Nippon Camera expects a D400 this spring:

http://photorumors.com/2013/02/20/japanese-magazine-nippon-camera-predictions-for-2013/

There's still only a single button (AE/AF) on the back so you can't have AF-ON and AEL side by side like on the D300.  I think this is a straight D7000 upgrade with no attempt to incorporate D300 features, leaving plenty of room for a D400.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
aarond
Contributing MemberPosts: 602
Like?

I've been pasting this comment everywhere. Nikon referred to this specifically as:

" a middle-class DX-format D-SLR..."

Interpret that as you see fit.

-- hide signature --

'I remember when the days were long
And the nights when the living room was on the lawn:
Constant quarrelling, the childish fits,
And our clothes in a pile on the ottoman;
All the slander and doublespeak
Were only foolish attempts to show you did not mean
Anything but the blatant proof
Was your lips touching mine in a photobooth.'
www.instantkamera.ca

joeybob
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?
Flagship
In reply to aarond, Feb 21, 2013

I believe Nikon is also labeling this as the Flagship DX" camera. A word they use pretty conservatively...

joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +28 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,126
Like?
In reply to Dennis, Feb 21, 2013

Then again, I could be entirely wrong !  ("Flagship" DX camera).

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to cwsiggy, Feb 21, 2013

cwsiggy wrote:

I'm looking to get my first DSLR and was just about to pull trigger on 5200. This one should do me nicely! Nikon Rumors thinks it will be $1200 - I'd be shocked if they price it that low...

Definitely better than d5200 for not much more money, with no low pass filter!!!

Resolution king!! Higher pixel density than D800 with no low pass!

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,599Gear list
Like?
I'd rather have the D5100 price with a D7000 viewfinder

I'd rather have the D5100 price with a D7000 viewfinder

I found the 7000 menus exhausting with hundreds of choices.

The 5100 did its job great.

Only complaint the 5100 VF is small.

Guess will have to buy the 7100

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 - the end of high-end DX? D7100 buffer appears to be danged small
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 21, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

David G72 wrote:

Always room. The newest 7D2 rumor is for 10 fps, the new 5D3/1D X autofocus for $2200 although it being aps-c or 35mm is still up in the air.

Yup, unless we are reading buffer size wrong, no way this is the flagship. Buffer size appeears really small.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
JimPearce
Like?
Not in the press release...
In reply to joeybob, Feb 21, 2013

Anyway, given the buffer size this camera is useless as an action camera. Therefore, there will be a D400.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,164Gear list
Like?

David G72 wrote:

That's what the price says on this website too - $1,199!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
David

That's probably the body only price.  $1500 or so with the 18-105mm lens

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Mansurov didn't get the memo...
In reply to JimPearce, Feb 21, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

Low end DX will be replaced by the Nikon 2 mirrorless system, beginning this summer. This is the first model of the new DX. I'll buy this, but still expect a D400.

As a Nikon 1 user, I can tell you that low-end DX absolutely CANNOT be replaced by the Nikon 1 or 2 system, if the 2 is a 1" sensor camera.  No way, no how.  I like the N1, but the D3200 absolutely crushes any of the Nikon 1 cameras for IQ. And even if Sony or Toshiba design a class leading 1" sensor for the Nikon 2, it just won't compete with a D3200 for IQ.

The object of a company with a vast lens system like F-mount is to sell bodies in order to sell lenses.  Cutting out low-cost options in DX would remove a huge source source of profit for Nikon. That, and the minor sticking point of 1" cameras not being up to the task.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Not in the press release...
In reply to JimPearce, Feb 21, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

Anyway, given the buffer size this camera is useless as an action camera. Therefore, there will be a D400.

What is the buffer size?  Because the D7100 has the exact same 6 fps of the D300s, and even faster fps in crop mode, which produces a 15 mp file.

The D7000 did not have a particularly large buffer, but I would hesitate to call it "useless as an action camera".  Clearly professional shorts photographers would choose a D4, but for an enthusiast sports or wildlife photographer, I can't imagine someone finding a camera like the D7100 useless.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
SethG
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?
Re: Mansurov didn't get the memo...
In reply to marike6, Feb 21, 2013

marike6 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

Low end DX will be replaced by the Nikon 2 mirrorless system, beginning this summer. This is the first model of the new DX. I'll buy this, but still expect a D400.

As a Nikon 1 user, I can tell you that low-end DX absolutely CANNOT be replaced by the Nikon 1 or 2 system, if the 2 is a 1" sensor camera. No way, no how. I like the N1, but the D3200 absolutely crushes any of the Nikon 1 cameras for IQ. And even if Sony or Toshiba design a class leading 1" sensor for the Nikon 2, it just won't compete with a D3200 for IQ.

The object of a company with a vast lens system like F-mount is to sell bodies in order to sell lenses. Cutting out low-cost options in DX would remove a huge source source of profit for Nikon. That, and the minor sticking point of 1" cameras not being up to the task.

The Nikon 2 system is probably the long-rumored mirrorless DX system.

-- hide signature --

- Seth -

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
Re: Not in the press release...

marike6 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

What is the buffer size? Because the D7100 has the exact same 6 fps of the D300s, and even faster fps in crop mode, which produces a 15 mp file.

The D7000 did not have a particularly large buffer, but I would hesitate to call it "useless as an action camera". Clearly professional shorts photographers would choose a D4, but for an enthusiast sports or wildlife photographer, I can't imagine someone finding a camera like the D7100 useless.

When shooting at max fps, you get 1 second of RAW shots and then the buffer is full on the D7100.  That's a pretty serious handicap for most sports/action photographers.  I'm not saying that some amateurs won't live with that, but it's a pretty artificial limitation put there by Nikon in these days when RAM is pretty cheap and certainly not something that Nikon intended to market as their best DX action camera.

-- hide signature --
JimPearce
Like?
I'm sure Nikon 2 will be a DX sensor...

Unless they have a corporate death wish.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads