How confident are you in your u4/3 kit?

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions
Uncle Frank
Forum ProPosts: 21,502Gear list
Like?
How confident are you in your u4/3 kit?
Feb 20, 2013

My wife and I are headed to Newport Beach this Sunday for a 7 day visit with my son's family, and it's the first time I don't feel an urge to lug the big rig (d700 + fast glass).  With my recent buys and trades, I feel like I finally have a complete but lightweight u4/3 kit.  I've got a Roki 7.5mm fisheye for reality bending wide angle, two fast midrange primes, a tele-zoom with lots of reach, and a good flash.  The weak link is the dated 12MP sensor in my beautiful Oly e-p3, but I'll try to work around it by capping iso at 800.

What's your mirrorless kit, and how confident are you in it?

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Frank
Galleries at fdrphoto.smugmug.com

Uncle Frank's gear list:Uncle Frank's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon D700
Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042Gear list
Like?
Re: How confident are you in your u4/3 kit?
In reply to Uncle Frank, Feb 20, 2013

Completely confident. In the fall of 2011 I hauled both a m43 kit based on an EP2 and a heavy duty Nikon kit (D2X, 70-200, etc...) to Yellowstone and only used the m43 kit.  So confident that just under a year later I had sold all the Nikon equipment and only used an OMD based m43 kit for a 4-day Zion/Bryce trip.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to jcharding, Feb 20, 2013

jcharding wrote:

Completely confident. In the fall of 2011 I hauled both a m43 kit based on an EP2 and a heavy duty Nikon kit (D2X, 70-200, etc...) to Yellowstone and only used the m43 kit. So confident that just under a year later I had sold all the Nikon equipment and only used an OMD based m43 kit for a 4-day Zion/Bryce trip.

Yep. I'm taking my m43 kit on a 9-day trip through the southwestern United States. I'll need to rent the Oly 75mm to supplement my other lenses, but I think that still counts as "confident" in my kit.

Two of my traveling companions will be shooting with 5D Mark IIIs and one with a 6D.  Like I told them, "game on!"

Mark B UK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

I like the compactness of the Pen models, and think yours looks good in black.

My kit is a silver E-M5 (because I wanted some Panny lenses and the barrel colour doesn't match Oly black bodies - fussy, I know) and two pairs of lenses: the 12-35 and 35-100 2.8 Lumix optics for when I want to use zooms, and the 12 2.0 and 60 2.8 macro Zuikos (both black, for purely aesthetic reasons, I admit) for when I prefer to go with primes (the idea being to have one lens on the body, the other in a pocket, and thus go without a gadget bag). In addition I have four spare batteries (battery life being the Achilles' heel of EVF cameras) and a second charger, so if I use four batteries in a day I can recharge them all in just two sessions, avoiding the need to get up several times overnight. Finally I have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro as my principal memory card, two Extreme 16GB ones for overflow and a few legacy class 6 cards. Recently I bought two A-data DashDrive shockproof/waterproof USB hard drives, which I'll use to archive and back up images from my main SD card(s) at the end of each day when travelling, avoiding the need to use my slower cards.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my kit as this is now my only digital camera system, meaning I have nothing else to shoot it with. The only time I'd want anything else would be if I did a lot of low light action photography, a situation in which PDAF is a distinct advantage. I do this kind of thing very rarely (I'm mainly a travel photographer) and I love the compactness and light weight of m43 so would rather lose out in those very rare situations than weigh myself down with a FF system.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,818Gear list
Like?

Uncle Frank wrote:

My wife and I are headed to Newport Beach this Sunday for a 7 day visit…

My M4/3 "kit" is really several combinations of lenses, depending on where I am, mood,, what I'm shooting, etc.

Anyway, I spent two weeks in Puerto Rico in January… southwest coast and central mountains… and carried…

GH2, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, Voigtländer 25mm, Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar, 100-300mm and a Nikon 105mm f2.8 AI-S macro. Also brought my tripod and cable release for macro shooting.

The 14-140mm was the daytime do everything lens. The 7-14mm for land/seascapes, etc.. The Voigtländer 25mm was the night walkabout lens. The 100-300mm for birding, nature shooting, etc.. The Nikon macro for, well, macro, spiders and lizards and telephoto shooting.

I was surprised that I barely used my beloved Voigtländer 75mm, which I use it all the time at home!

Next trip I'll probably bring my SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm instead of the 75mm. And my new GX1/20mm combo.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +25 more
Donovan Driver
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark B UK, Feb 20, 2013

Although I am brand new to to M4/3, I did recently purchase a OM-D to go along with a New 5n and Fuji X-e1. In the short time that I have had the OM-D, I can pretty much assure you that I will be listing the X-E1 on eBay this weekend to purchase a E-PL5 to compliment the OM-D. That's how confident I am with my growing kit

Donovan Driver's gear list:Donovan Driver's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to Donovan Driver, Feb 20, 2013

Donovan Driver wrote:

Although I am brand new to to M4/3, I did recently purchase a OM-D to go along with a New 5n and Fuji X-e1. In the short time that I have had the OM-D, I can pretty much assure you that I will be listing the X-E1 on eBay this weekend to purchase a E-PL5 to compliment the OM-D. That's how confident I am with my growing kit

Interesting.  The X-E1 was the "other camera I was considering before settling on the E-M5.  What don't you like about it?

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?

I've still got a 12mp sensor, and it's good for outside, and flash and to some degree ambient light with a fast lens. Got a bunch of manual focus lenses, and 2 primes and two zooms (including the kit zoom - mine seems a very good copy, sharp all the way out to 42.. knowing there seems a lot of variation) Have an old Canon DSLR, lenses, macro tubes etc. a couple of bridge cameras and even film, all of which I still use, but shoot probably 90% with my M43...so guess I'm pretty confident of it. My next upgrade will probably be an EPL5, if only for dynamic range and the 'my sets'...but might go to a G5. I find if a person is careful, some dynamic range deficiencies can be minimized with the 12mp sensors. Yep I also limit my ISO to 800 for color, and maybe 1250 for B&W. Have fun.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,429Gear list
Like?
Re: How confident are you in your u4/3 kit? DEPENDS...

...on the situation.  I am not confident in the kit in certain situations, especially low light, high ISO because the only fast lens I have is the 20 mm f1.7 and the GH1 is not that great in low light.  The GX1 I am more comfortable with in these situations, but still limited by only one fast lens.

In bright light travel situations, I am very confident in the 14-140 as the jack of all trades, the 20 for low light night shots, and 9-18 for ultrawide.  It is a very lightweight travel kit, even with two bodies.  I can carry the GX1, 14-140, 9-18 and the 20 in a single lightweight bag everywhere I go.  If I don't want the tele, I can go with the 14-45, and it is even lighter.  I hardly use my 45-200 anymore, but when you need the tele, it is better than 14-140.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,161Gear list
Like?
I don't worry about it

I pick what I need for the day and go out and shoot.

Don't worry about whether the kit will do the job, I just expect it will.

Then again, sometimes not worrying has it's price-like heading out w/o a charged battery

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,985Gear list
Like?

Confident that I would use mine for paid professional work and for personal portfolio work with the caveat that the job would not be likely to fall outside the envelope of the GH3.

For me that means the job would not:

1) Require continuous high speed action shooting

2) Require significant shooting above ISO1600

3) Require shooting multiple days with no access to charging facilities (my Nikons will do over 2000 shots per charge and I have 6 batteries..!)

4) Require use of lenses I cannot yet replicate in the M43 system

Other than that, I would use it and indeed will use it. I do have a background reliability concern because I can find no data from Panasonic which helps me know what sort of reliability I can expect from the shutter mechanism in the GH3 though.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,286Gear list
Like?

Uncle Frank wrote:

My wife and I are headed to Newport Beach this Sunday for a 7 day visit with my son's family, and it's the first time I don't feel an urge to lug the big rig (d700 + fast glass). With my recent buys and trades, I feel like I finally have a complete but lightweight u4/3 kit. I've got a Roki 7.5mm fisheye for reality bending wide angle, two fast midrange primes, a tele-zoom with lots of reach, and a good flash. The weak link is the dated 12MP sensor in my beautiful Oly e-p3, but I'll try to work around it by capping iso at 800.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Frank
Galleries at fdrphoto.smugmug.com

It depends on the destination of how much or little to take.

I have both the Panasonic GH-3 & GX-1 with all Panasonic lenses: 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 25 1.4, and 45 2.8. I kept my 45-200 but it gets zero use now, but if I needed the long end for something specific I have it. 95% of everything can be done with the 12-35 & 35-100 and the other lenses are for speciality needs depending on the locations.

I will take a waterproof p&s for some things and if I know I want to shoot video and not worry it will be the GH-3. If not and I want to really pack small the GX-1 is still a great camera until we see what the GX-2 will have.

The GH-3 is made out by Olympus users as I read various comments as a big and bulky DSLR camera, but its not. The size is DSLR like, but the weight is really nothing, my Nikon D90 was heavier. The Panasonic GH-3 does not need the vertical grip like the OMD needs it to make it feel like a camera you can hold onto from comments I have seen.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
agray88
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
Usually pretty confident, but..

I do need to plug a few holes in my arsenal. Right now I have an E-M5 with kit 12-50mm along with Oly 12/2, Oly 45/1.8, Oly 40-150mm, and Oly 60mm macro. If I were more in love with the IQ of the kit lens, I wouldn't have this longing for the Panny 12-35. I find the jump from 12mm to 45mm just too substantial and am not crazy about the kit lens. Plus, I desperately want to cover the long tele end with either the Panny 100-300 or the new Oly 75-300. I'm leaning toward the 75-300 since I don't need OIS. So, yes, I like my kit a lot, but she could stand to be a little sexier!

agray88's gear list:agray88's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,265Gear list
Like?
Not lensed-up yet
In reply to agray88, Feb 20, 2013

I only have the 14-42 starter lens on my E-PL5.

I shoot and write the sports stories as a regular freelancer for a small weekly and since getting the E-PL-5 in January, I've challenged myself to leave the big Oly E-5 kit at home and just go with my simple kit and FL-50r with radio slaved flash. (E-5 and 50-200 for soccer is still a must, though.)

The E-PL5 certainly has been good enough, even with that very pedestrian lens... so it's only going to get better, as far as I'm concerned.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +9 more
Ron Joiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 875Gear list
Like?
Confident
In reply to Barry Stewart, Feb 20, 2013

Heading to Cuba next month with my EPL-5 and 20mm, 14-42, 40-150 with adapter and lots of memory cards. Although I very confident, I will bring an E330 with 50mm as a backup.

Ron

Ron Joiner's gear list:Ron Joiner's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +6 more
pugilist
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Feb 20, 2013

em-5 w/following lenses:

4/3 14-54 mkII w/mmf-3 adapter (everyday lens...water/dust proof and sharp)

panny 25mm 1.4 (evening/kid/action lens)

oly 40-150 R (just picked up since it was on sale for less than 100)

what i want to make me feel more confident about different scenarios:

- a fast pancake lens for more compact system

- maybe the 75mm 1.8

i do wish oly would make some fast zooms like their excellent 4/3 lenses. water/dust resistant, too...i'd pick them up in a heartbeat.

pugilist's gear list:pugilist's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
petersolymosi
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Re: Not lensed-up yet
In reply to Barry Stewart, Feb 20, 2013

Barry Stewart wrote:

I only have the 14-42 starter lens on my E-PL5.

I shoot and write the sports stories as a regular freelancer for a small weekly and since getting the E-PL-5 in January, I've challenged myself to leave the big Oly E-5 kit at home and just go with my simple kit and FL-50r with radio slaved flash. (E-5 and 50-200 for soccer is still a must, though.)

The E-PL5 certainly has been good enough, even with that very pedestrian lens... so it's only going to get better, as far as I'm concerned.

-- hide signature --

Barry

I'm with you Barry. I have the same camera, E-PL5 with kit lens. Having only experimented for a week I have to say I'm really confident in this camera. Here's one result using the kit lens:

petersolymosi's gear list:petersolymosi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
courtwshr1
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Bags are packed and ready to go...
In reply to petersolymosi, Feb 20, 2013

Headed to Costa Rica in 3 days and my LowePro Slingshot is packed and ready to go with:

EPL2 with CF tripod

GF3 for "pocket" camera

Lens collection: 14/2.5 x2 (got an extra one with the GF3 - for the wife), 14-42, 40-150 + macro adapter, 19/2.8, 30/2.8 and 100-300 for birds/nature.

Bringing along the CP filter, cable shutter release, hotshoe macro light, macro extension tubes and a few bags of silica gel packets

*Also have an Olympus waterproof for wet days, waterfalls, etc.

Can't wait!

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,161Gear list
Like?
What wouldI change?
In reply to Art_P, Feb 20, 2013

While what I have works, and as I said, I don't worry about it, one can always desire more/better.

I figure at some point I'll swap the 100-300 for the new 75-300, once that lens is available at discount.

17/1.8 definitely on my radar.  Seems a better general purpose focal length than the 14, and brighter.

12-35?  maybe a great lens, but limited range, and I shoot more at 50mm than 12mm... I suppose the answer would be to buy a12-35 and 35-100, plus a second body to avoid regular swapping of lenses.

Definitely interested to see what Oly comes out with in terms of a fast zoom... maybe a weather sealed 10-60mm f2.8 that's not much bigger than he 12-50? (hey, one can dream)  Would dump several lenses to get that one.

Oh, and the 75... anyone notwant that lens?

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Donovan Driver
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
In reply to BingoCharlie, Feb 20, 2013

BingoCharlie wrote:

Donovan Driver wrote:

Interesting. The X-E1 was the "other camera I was considering before settling on the E-M5. What don't you like about it?

I'm not knocking the X-E1 but the lack of proper Adobe support really puts a kink in my workflow. The jpegs are fantastic with the X-E1 but I desire a little bit more flexibility with my files without having to fork over more $ for software. Also, I would like to mention the auto focus as I know it has greatly improved with most of the firmware updates but it is still a little too hit-or-miss and that doesn't suit my shooting style.  The 35mm xf is an awesome lens but I'm going to hold out on Fuji until they get their kinks worked out. I need a bit of instant gratification for now and the OM-D is proving that is easily obtainable.

Donovan Driver's gear list:Donovan Driver's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads